Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Feeling pretty good about these exams! Not really worried about getting my course because I know that I'm well able after all this study, just hope I can break 500 and get a godd (enough) grade in Maths! Between study in school, extra classes, Maths grinds and study at home hoping to get 8-10 hours done each day! Probably will end up doing more though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Ughhhhhhhhh I have to go to mass now. 30 minutes of possible study time wasted each week really builds up. :mad:

It is the worst half hour of my week, oh god, I cant wait til I can stop going when I move to France for my third or fourth year in college. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Ughhhhhhhhh I have to go to mass now. 30 minutes of possible study time wasted each week really builds up. :mad:

It is the worst half hour of my week, oh god, I cant wait til I can stop going when I move to France for my third or fourth year in college. :rolleyes:

Why do you have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

cloud493 wrote: »
    To whoever it was who was thinking of repeating, don't. I just did it this year, biggest waste of time and money imaginable.

Why do you think that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

cloud493 wrote: »
    To whoever it was who was thinking of repeating, don't. I just did it this year, biggest waste of time and money imaginable.

Yeah it costs about €540 without paying for any books you might need, or any grinds if you need those. Plus that figure is bound to increase a little this year.

I hated that. All of my family had to go until they finished school, I just slowly wormed my way out of it about a year ago and now I only go at Christmas and for anniversaries. It was such a waste of time - ended up being an hour a week for me because mass would be long and then travelling there and back. I hate it when parents force their kids to go when they don't believe in the religion. :mad: I just don't get why anyone would do that! :confused: Really regret having my communion and confirmation now, wasn't even going to make my confirmation at the time (I was a rebellious little eleven year old!) but that would have been so rare that everyone probably would've thought I was possessed or something. :rolleyes: Regret my baptism too, but there wasn't much I could do about that. :P I don't get why people make other people a certain religion before they can even talk though. :cool:

^^^ And THAT is why I spent most of third year arguing with my religion teacher about baptising people as babies, when I probably should have been studying for the exam. :P Good times. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Togepi wrote: »
    Yeah it costs about €780 without paying for any books you might need, or any grinds if you need those. Plus that figure is bound to increase a little this year.

Why do you have to pay 780? :)

Raeone wrote: »
    Why do you have to pay 780? :)

Well the medical card covers over half of that, but I didn't have one. There's a fee of €127 just to re-register yourself as a student (because once you finish school you're taken off the register, so you have to pay to be put back on it). Then this year the actual exam fee for repeats was €301 (higher than previous years). Mocks cost around €100, mine were €110. That's €538... Ah we had to pay the remainder to get an extra teacher sorry, so yeah, it costs about €540 overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I live riiiight across from a church, I can see it out my window, and yet I haven't been inside it in over two years. :L Used to go every Sunday when I was a kid, urghhh always hated it. Luckily my mom doesn't really care anymore, I don't think she even went at christmas herself this year. If she still tried to make me go now she wouldn't get far, that's for sure.

Yeah it costs about €540 without paying for any books you might need, or any grinds if you need those. Plus that figure is bound to increase a little this year.

I hated that. All of my family had to go until they finished school, I just slowly wormed my way out of it about a year ago and now I only go at Christmas and for anniversaries. It was such a waste of time - ended up being an hour a week for me because mass would be long and then travelling there and back. I hate it when parents force their kids to go when they don't believe in the religion. :mad: I just don't get why anyone would do that! :confused: Really regret having my communion and confirmation now, wasn't even going to make my confirmation at the time (I was a rebellious little eleven year old!) but that would have been so rare that everyone probably would've thought I was possessed or something. :rolleyes: Regret my baptism too, but there wasn't much I could do about that. :P I don't get why people make other people a certain religion before they can even talk though. :cool:

^^^ And THAT is why I spent most of third year arguing with my religion teacher about baptising people as babies, when I probably should have been studying for the exam. :P Good times. :D

There was a while when it really bothered me that I was baptised, but at the end of the day it only has meaning if you give it meaning. Like it's just having water poured over your head really, I know it's symbolic within the Catholic church but if you don't accept that symbolism then it doesn't have to mean anything.

I really disagree with the Catholic primary schools though, being indoctrinated in a religion should not be part of a child's education. But then, who'd be Catholic if they weren't taught to be? :rolleyes:

finality wrote: »
    There was a while when it really bothered me that I was baptised, but at the end of the day it only has meaning if you give it meaning. Like it's just having water poured over your head really, I know it's symbolic within the Catholic church but if you don't accept that symbolism then it doesn't have to mean anything.

I really disagree with the Catholic primary schools though, being indoctrinated in a religion should not be part of a child's education. But then, who'd be Catholic if they weren't taught to be? :rolleyes:

I hate the primary schools to be honest. We said prayers every morning and maybe even every evening. :cool: Used to wall over to the local church loads too. And our secondary school has a smaller percentage of Catholics than most, yet there are still teachers who try to convince you to go to mass/confessions if you go to the library instead, not to mention the fact that we have mass and confessions in the school! They don't try to get you to go if you practise another religion, but it's just annoying that they say 'ah go on!' to the rest of us. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I go at 8 on a Sunday morning. Gives me an excuse to get up :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Wow €780 is real expensive. In mine for repeating it was only €300 if you didn't have a medical card in the place I'm repeating at. I repeated this year it was more of a benefit to me. Although the place I was at some of the teachers weren't the best but luckily the teachers I had for the subjects I needed the most were good. I had nearly all subject courses covered from last year.
    It all depends on you as a person some people will benefit from the extra year and others won't. I have only because I'm putting in more effort that I didn't put in last year but I won't know until the results.

My mum used to force me to go church until I was like 13 . I refused to go ever since then I only go for anniversaries/funerals . I don't even go at christmas. I went to a catholic primary school too it was so religious and the church was next door.
    I just find church so boring , I don't pay attention half the time. Religion as a subject seemed like a waste of time. Then during 5th/6th still learning religion when we're not doing it as a leaving cert subject seemed like such a waste of time. Even though mostly it was just talks in 6th year.
    Plus I'm not sure I believe in the whole religion thing it feels like I've been made to believe something. My whole family is really religious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

My last exams are Spanish and Chemistry so I am thinking I will leave studying for them when I have the 6 day break :P Thank god for that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Haha, I'm loving this convo about religion. My mum's parents would be one of the old-fashioned fanatically Catholic families, but my mum's the opposite. She's never forced me to go to mass or anything, but she made me and my siblings go to mass for a few sundays before we had our confirmation or communion, so that's grand like. I thought I was atheist when I was like 10 but now it's more like, I believe there is a spiritual force but idk what it is. Basically agnostic. The rites and rituals of the Catholic church are fúcking despicable tho, pure pyschological brainwashing. Like being confirmed - kneel down on the ground in front of the bishop, who's sitting in a big chair smiling pervertedly, while a close relative exposes your forehead to be touched. I know it's not taboo or anything to have your forehead touched but the psychological idea of it is pretty obvious. It's hard to explain, but in terms of body language it's just a total act of submission. Sickens me hey. When my wee bro was getting confirmed there last week I kept on telling him all day he was going to see the witch doctor (the bishop :P), and my school is really religious too, there's pics of John Paul II everywhere and crosses all over the shop, pure joke really :pac: Everyone has to go to mass in our school when it's on but I don't mind, I think it's funny/pathetic that people take the idea of some imaginary bearded guy in the sky so seriously though. :rolleyes:

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Why do you have to go.
    My dad

Urghhh I know -_- I'm not overly religious and I'm not not religious, I guess Jesus is pretty cool once you seperate him from the Catholic church, but I absolutely hate going to take part in what I look at as a backward, hateful organisation who would sooner let two atheists marry than two same-gendered Catholics. It's so disgusting and of course its boring as sh*t too. :D
    finality wrote: »
    I live riiiight across from a church, I can see it out my window, and yet I haven't been inside it in over two years. :L Used to go every Sunday when I was a kid, urghhh always hated it. Luckily my mom doesn't really care anymore, I don't think she even went at christmas herself this year. If she still tried to make me go now she wouldn't get far, that's for sure.

The last time I didnt go to mass was in February because I was in Paris :rolleyes: I haaaaaaate it so much for the above reasons but on top of that my dad actually makes me go to confession like twice a year. What the hell do I even confess to :|

Its funny because my dad's not a crazy bible bashing Christian, and he's not homophobic or anything, but I've noticed he turns off the radio if its talking about the church's child abuse scandal. :L Meh, if it makes him happy I guess I'll go :rolleyes:

but I absolutely hate going to take part in what I look at as a backward, hateful organisation who would sooner let two atheists marry than two same-gendered Catholics. It's so disgusting and of course its boring as sh*t too. :D

That's basically the reason I give to my Mum for not going. I haven't gone to mass for about two years (except christmas:D) and she doesn't seem to care anymore.

Haha, I'm loving this convo about religion. My mum's parents would be one of the old-fashioned fanatically Catholic families, but my mum's the opposite. She's never forced me to go to mass or anything, but she made me and my siblings go to mass for a few sundays before we had our confirmation or communion, so that's grand like. I thought I was atheist when I was like 10 but now it's more like, I believe there is a spiritual force but idk what it is. Basically agnostic. The rites and rituals of the Catholic church are fúcking despicable tho, pure pyschological brainwashing. Like being confirmed - kneel down on the ground in front of the bishop, who's sitting in a big chair smiling pervertedly, while a close relative exposes your forehead to be touched. I know it's not taboo or anything to have your forehead touched but the psychological idea of it is pretty obvious. It's hard to explain, but in terms of body language it's just a total act of submission. Sickens me hey. When my wee bro was getting confirmed there last week I kept on telling him all day he was going to see the witch doctor (the bishop :P), and my school is really religious too, there's pics of John Paul II everywhere and crosses all over the shop, pure joke really :pac: Everyone has to go to mass in our school when it's on but I don't mind, I think it's funny/pathetic that people take the idea of some imaginary bearded guy in the sky so seriously though. :rolleyes:
    Ya should really be open minded about these things. I know people have a right to their opinion and all like but you shouldn't openly insult people's faith by calling it 'funny/pathetic'. God and whatever other 'higher power' people believe in has helped alot of people out of dark places. I don't mean literally because I'm that firm of a believer but faith is very important in some people's lives! Myself? I'm much like you.. thought I was an Atheist for a long time but now I do believe in something else just not sure what it is ! Anyways, sorry for the rant, just thought I should throw my two cents into mix! :D And DD, please don't take any of this personally :pac:
    Complwtely agree that the Church is an absolute farce too but I still go because, I dunno... It's a pretty relaxing place to be imho :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Does anyone want to explain to me how structural isomers work? Is it as easy to just learn them off by heart? Hydrocarbons are grand, but then theres the alchohols and ketones :S

One thing that really irks me purely for the ignorance (again not a personal thing at anyone!) is the general atheist idea of "hawhawhaw bearded guy in the sky", when no one describes any kind of God that way. Some people believe in spirits, no one says "hawhaw ghosts haunted houses", its the same idea. I dont really think much about how I'd imagine a God but clearly he's not sitting up there in the atmosphere and if he isnt human he'd hardly have a beard. :rolleyes:

Ya should really be open minded about these things. I know people have a right to their opinion and all like but you shouldn't openly insult their by calling it 'funny/pathetic'. God and whatever other 'higher power' people believe in has helped alot of people out of dark places. I don't mean literally because I'm that firm of a believer but faith is very important in some people's lives! Myself? I'm much like you.. thought I was an Atheist for a long time but now I do believe in something else just not sure what it is ! Anyways, sorry for the rant, just thought I should throw my two cents into mix! :D And DD, please don't take any of this personally :pac:

To be fair the Catholic Church is "Pathetic". I'm an athiest with nothing against people having a belief in a "God" but organised religon and in particular the Catholic Church just sicken me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Does anyone want to explain to me how structural isomers work? Is it as easy to just learn them off by heart? Hydrocarbons are grand, but then theres the alchohols and ketones :S

Not really sure what you're asking, do you mean like when they ask in the exam "Draw one/two isomer(s) of X?"

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Ya should really be open minded about these things. I know people have a right to their opinion and all like but you shouldn't openly insult their by calling it 'funny/pathetic'. God and whatever other 'higher power' people believe in has helped alot of people out of dark places. I don't mean literally because I'm that firm of a believer but faith is very important in some people's lives! Myself? I'm much like you.. thought I was an Atheist for a long time but now I do believe in something else just not sure what it is ! Anyways, sorry for the rant, just thought I should throw my two cents into mix! :D And DD, please don't take any of this personally :pac:

To be fair the Catholic Church is "Pathetic". I'm an athiest with nothing against people having a belief in a "God" but organised religon and in particular the Catholic Church just sicken me.
    Completely agree that the Church is pathetic, all it is nowadays is full of scandals and brown envelopes. I was just saying it's wrong to say someones faith is 'pathetic' whether they're Catholic, Muslim or whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

One thing that really irks me purely for the ignorance (again not a personal thing at anyone!) is the general atheist idea of "hawhawhaw bearded guy in the sky", when no one describes any kind of God that way. Some people believe in spirits, no one says "hawhaw ghosts haunted houses", its the same idea. I dont really think much about how I'd imagine a God but clearly he's not sitting up there in the atmosphere and if he isnt human he'd hardly have a beard. :rolleyes:

This made me think

330px-Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

:L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

leaveiton wrote: »
    Not really sure what you're asking, do you mean like when they ask in the exam "Draw one/two isomer(s) of X?"

Those guys! :)

Sorry, but most Christian depictions of a God depict him in some similar way. The picture most Catholics in Ireland have of their home of God asking him to watch over and protect their home depicts him like that. Most Christian artwork of God is quite similar.

And atheists aren't laughing at the image of the bearded guy in the sky when they say that, they're simply using the hyperbolic (which it is, as ya said) image of a bearded god in the sky as an expression of what they perceive to be the incredulousness of theism. I don't see anything wrong with that... and I see people laughing at ghosts and haunted houses all the time, most of them wouldn't watch Ghosthunters otherwise :P I'm not even atheist, I'm agnostic, but yeah. Atheists/agnostics calling the Christian God 'the bearded guy in the sky' is more of a way to get a sneaky jibe in it at the Catholic Church/organised Religion than anything else. Ya could say they're being ignorant but I think organised religion has a lot more to answer for in terms of injustices than atheism has. That's why people are deliberately ignorant and snide when bitching about the Catholic church/religion.

/dissertation lolz.

Completely agree that the Church is pathetic, all it is nowadays is full of scandals and brown envelopes. I was just saying it's wrong to say someones faith is 'pathetic' whether they're Catholic, Muslim or whatever!

I agree.

I always find it odd the way there's all these stories in the bible and we're supposed to believe all thats in it . It always says we should treat everyone equally or something along the lines of that. I don't see whats the big problem with not letting gay/lesbians marry either. It's the 21st century. I don't know what I believe in but things just don't add up I'm more for science as there can be proof. I don't mind if others believe in religion everyone has their own choice.

the general atheist idea of "hawhawhaw bearded guy in the sky", when no one describes any kind of God that way. Some people believe in spirits, no one says "hawhaw ghosts haunted houses", its the same idea. :rolleyes:

If I came in to school and started saying I believed in ghosts I would get the piss taken out of me.

If I came in to school and I openly said what I said in previous posts about the catholic church I'd probably be labeled a complete "weirdo/freak/lose cannon etc..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Those guys! :)

Hopefully I can try to help :P Well one handy trick is that if they ask for an isomer or two you can actually just draw the normal structure of the thing they're asking you for. So if, for example, they ask for two isomers of propanol, you could draw propanol itself and propan-2-ol. Remember also that ketones and (I think!) aldehydes are isomers of each other, so butanone would be an isomer of butanal. Not sure what else to say really, if you have a specific question I could try to answer it :o

• Advertisement

Ya should really be open minded about these things. I know people have a right to their opinion and all like but you shouldn't openly insult people's faith by calling it 'funny/pathetic'. God and whatever other 'higher power' people believe in has helped alot of people out of dark places. I don't mean literally because I'm that firm of a believer but faith is very important in some people's lives! Myself? I'm much like you.. thought I was an Atheist for a long time but now I do believe in something else just not sure what it is ! Anyways, sorry for the rant, just thought I should throw my two cents into mix! :D And DD, please don't take any of this personally :pac:
    Complwtely agree that the Church is an absolute farce too but I still go because, I dunno... It's a pretty relaxing place to be imho :p

Yes, it is pretty relaxing. Faith is important in people's lives, in everyones, I agree with ya. It just depends what you put your faith into, I feel like the church and most of organised religion is a waste of energy and faith because for the most part the church is a quasi-spiritual body which exists mainly in order to exert influence and power over the community and society of which it is a part. That's why I'm against Catholicism (in practice) and most strands of Islam (in practice) and Hinduism (in practice). Buddhism, not so much, as you said, faith is important. Faith in Buddhism teaches you acceptance, peace, openness... which, as you can see, is a work in progress for me. :P I'm just trying to strike a balance tho, Buddhists sometimes cut themselves off from the world by their faith, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Back to my point tho. The bible says a lot of very true shít. So does the Qu'ran and all that other crap, but in practice, all these religions are are ways for certain people (the bishop, the mullah, the witch doctor, whatever) to exert influence over a given society. It's a wild cynical outlook, I know, but it's my .02$... and sorry if I'm coming across as a bit of a dick, I just feel quite strongly about this stuff. Also there are ways for communities to be interdependent and supportive of one, and to help each other in times of grieving and difficult without the interference of a central body like the Vatican, check this out.

Oh yea, when I called the whole idea of the Christian God a joke, etc, that was in no way me trying to take the piss out of their members (though there are some pretty nasty sheep in that flock). That was just an observation about the fact that there's a gigantic, massively powerful organisation called the Catholic Church dedicated to manipulating the idea of God so that they can manipulate people also. That's the joke. Not that people have faith or anything like that. I actually think faith in some deity or belief is a key part of life for everyone, but the way the Catholic Church twists the myth of God into a way to control people is, imho, mad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement