Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sadest scene in a film ever?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hmm I'm normally not moved by these because the films are generally too manipulative by putting on a swelling score and trying to get you to feel, rather than the story/characters/acting doing it for you. However, there a few that - if not left me sad, left me emotionally drained:

* Dancer in the Dark - End scene. Where's she singing her song and then
    She drops through the floor and has her neck snapped[/quote]. Holy crap, I had to sit down for a few minutes after that.

* Requiem for a Dream - The final act, but - in particular - Meltdown. The scene almost left me shaking.

* In America - Yeah, I'll go with this one too. When he's saying goodye to Frankie. Also when he's trying to win the game at the fair - very well done.

* Lord of the Rings - Not the final farewall in RotK which was too soppy by far, but the fall of Gandalf and Frodo screaming "Gandalf!" from FotR.

* Veronica Guerin - When she gets shot. I blame that stupid kid singing the song...

* Threads - For sheer emotional gutting, as per the first two movies. The sheer and complete hopelessness of everything....

I find though in general TV shows to be far more affecting as I'll generally have invested far more hours with the characters. Futurama was one of the worst recent offenders as anyone who's seen the likes of 'Luck of the Fryish' or 'Jurassic Bark' will testify!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

I cried at the end of the Lion King
    When i watched ice age because of what happens to the lion and basically the rest of the end! Sad09.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I'll repeat what I said before (as the thread is from last year) ... The end scene in Elephant Man where he commits suicide by lying down

and

Darryl (probably not spelt right there) ..... you know the scene cause you cried at it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

The last few seconds of The Green Mile. I had to urge myself to breathe again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 CaptainHilts

the bit where steve martin finds out that john candys wife is dead in trains plains and automobiles.... wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Both been mentioned already I think, but:

Gladiator - the scene near the start between Maximus and the Emperor is I find very moving: "tell me about your home". Also, the end scene especially with the music score comming in, brings a lump to me throat everytime..

Brooks letter in The Shawshank Redemption. The combination of funny ("maybe I should get me a gun and rob the foodway, I could shoot the manager, kinda like a bonus") and extremely sad at the same time does it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Another one has come to mind: Dr Zhivago. Scene when Alec Guinness mentions the baloilycka (no idea how to spell this), how Yuri used to play - the "supposed" daughter has no idea if he's just a crazy old man or even if Yuri was really was her father...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

was 'champ, wake up champ mentioned', always got my sister in tears anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Final scene of Donnie Darko with madworld playing over it. I had the sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Makaveli wrote:
    The death of Optimus Prime.

lol!

Lucky fluke - man! I always cry during that movie! always!
    American beauty - when Spacey speaks of life - makes me very sad!
    Iron Giant - the last scene, when he saves the town!
    Armageddon - the last scene!
    12 monkies! when Bruce get's shot! while the young Bruce watches! - now that is an infinate loop of a failure! and he can't do anything about it!

forgot to add, the end of Leon! ah man! how sad! he is almost out! but bam lights out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The only ever real film that i cried at was... believe it or not... Startrek 10 (no not cus it was unbelievably bad... although that's reason enough in itself to have cried) it was when:
    Data dies at the end to save Captain Picard and the rest of the enterprise from the thaeleron radiation.... and what makes it even more affective is the fact that just before his annihilates himself... he puts the portable transporter, clips it onto Picard, as he's dematerialising he says goodbye, shoots the reactor, scimitar blows up and they're all watching it on the bridge... thinking Picard AND data are dead, but of course he beamed in at the last second, they all realise it, there's hope for about 2 seconds and they realise that data didn't make it. Further adding to the effect is the fact that they all saw this in realtime cus the viewscreen was blown away... classic moment for me.The fact it had me in tears if because i've grown up with that character and then all of a sudden... boom... they're gone.
    Was shock mainly, every other time i've watched it i don't feel the same remource.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

When Boromir dies in LOTR, also when Murran and Wallace are executed in Braveheart, on both occasions I was expecting someone to save them.

Where the medic gets it in Saving Private Ryan and his buddys pretty much euthanise him with Morphine.

The end of Manon De Sources. Even Ned Kelly when the 2 lads realise they are done for at the end......

The Fellowship of the Ring: After Gandalf has fallen and they are out of the mines Jackson pauses on the distraught faces of the fellowship. Gets me Each and every time.
    Or when Borimior dies.

The Two Towers: When Gandalf comes back

The Return of the King: When Frodo falls on his way up the mountain and Sam turns to him and says "i can't carry the ring, but I can carry you". It gets me every time.
    Also the end when Frodo leaves the Shire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Including some already mentioned... In America (the fair game and the "goodbye" at the end), Green Mile (not the stretched-out end scenes with Paul as an old man, but the scene of Coffey watching 'Top Hat' shortly before his death), Sixth Sense (just after the revelation), Titanic (particularly when she jumps off her rescue boat *back* onto the ship - incidentally, I am also a sap for admitting this!), the destruction of the Machine in Contact and her later meeting with her father/'father', the comet hitting in Deep Impact (I really AM a sap!), kid being abandoned in woods by mother in AI (I'm the only person I know who liked that movie...) and the soldier's letter from Iraq in Fahrenheit 9/11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

The Return of the King: When Frodo falls on his way up the mountain and Sam turns to him and says "i can't carry the ring, but I can carry you". It gets me every time.

Agree on this one - but not on any of the intended-to-be sentimental moments that followed - simply because they took FAR TOO LONG after the ring-in-lava coda to just END the story! I'm sure it could've been done far quicker without losing any of the key moments. Dead Ringers recently did a funny spoof of this with extended extended RotK endings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Lots to agree with here except Armageddon. Are we thinking of the same film? The Pop-Video disaster movie? Anyway.

Hate to give away the ending seeing as it's just out on DVD but when luke returns to the celebrations on Endor and sees his father, Yoda and Obi in the flames of the fire.

As has been said with TV Series you are more involved hence I shed a tear or two when Captain Winters told us of Easy Companys fate at the end of the last episode as they played baseball. Band of Brothers remains the best thing ever made for television.

Dances with Wolves - loads of bits especially the wolf getting it.
    Forest Gumb - when his mate calls "Forest" from the bushes in Vietnam.

Why not start a thread - "What made you cry on TV last night" and we could have another record breaking thread with the same idiots reporting back every day.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Don't think this was mentioned, i'm surprised but maybe no one else will be.

The end of a perfect World with Kevin Costner (i think) wounded beside the wee fella - he goes to give him something out of his pocket and.......

Got me.

And the end of the episode of Futurama when Fry discover's it wasn't his brother that was the first man on mars but his nephew...Just as it pans out, don't you forget about me by simple minds plays. Didn't cry but very moving...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

As has been said several times before, the end of "Life is Beautiful"

But the only other one is "Short Circuit 2" at the end when Johnny 5 is lying on the rubble when the eye flaps close and the so long zobo stuff. Maybe it was just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 boudu

I nominate Yang Yang reading to his grandmother at the end of Yi Yi as the saddest, most moving scene ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Bambi: Bambi's mother!!!!
    Watership Down
    and The Champ, when his dad dies.
    Everytime Champ was on tv my cousin could be found sat outside his doorstep balling crying for an hour! *Memories*

More recently though I'd have to say Veronica Guerin, the Green Mile and probably braveheart.
    Also AI, the kids sense of despairation and just wanting his mother to love him.....
    Harsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

I can't believe that nobody's mentioned The Champ with Ricky Schroeder (sp?).

I bawled me ickle eyes out , I can't remember the scene exactly but I think the champ was leaving and said he couldn't take the kid with him.

I'm with you on this one! I was only kid when I saw it last but, man, how I bawled!!

Spoiler:The Champ was dying on a treatment table after a fight: "Don't go Champ!...". I reckon if I saw it again I'd still get all misty-eyed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hyperali

No i definitely agree that Short Circuit 2 is sad. Lion King and Bambi had me in floods when i was younger. I think Dances with Wolves and Lord of The Rings when Boromir was just so sad.But in my opinion one of saddest endings was in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Has anyone seen Trully Maddly Deeply with Alan Rickman? its where this couple are in love and together for ages but Rickman dies but comes back as a ghost. his partner has got on with her own life but still loves him but she starts this relationship with a new man and Alan 's charchter has to watch out the window as she kisses the new man and is in tears as he realises she wants him to go. god i was inconsolable it was just so upsetting
    Considering i haven't watched Crouching Tiger in a while i can't say which really is the saddest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Was Ghost mentioned yet? with Patrick Swayze and Demi moore....god stop crying Demi....

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

The last 30 minutes of "The House of Sand and Fog" (just out on dvd). It's one of the most depressing films ever, but it's very very good.

I found Dumbo very traumatising when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

giveth wrote:
    The last 30 minutes of "The House of Sand and Fog" (just out on dvd). It's one of the most depressing films ever, but it's very very good.

I found Dumbo very traumatising when I was younger.

jesus no Giveth house of sand and fog was in my opinion Brutal!!!! it started off ok'ish but went so far down it passed the Titantic, i couldnt wait till end.....but your right in saying it was depressing(To watch)...lol....not a sad ending..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

<Nodding head>

Dancer in the dark is one hell of a film (insert debate here) but so amazingly sad.

Another one that guts me is The Sweet Hereafter,
    when the father is driving behind the school bus with his daughters on it and it crashes off the road and slowly falls into a frozen lake all he can do is watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 boudu

<Nodding head>

Dancer in the dark is one hell of a film (insert debate here) but so amazingly sad.

Another one that guts me is The Sweet Hereafter,

That scene is a quite a haunting one. It certainly had my mates saying "jayyyysus".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Carpo

"I am not an animal! I am a human being! I am a man!" actually pretty much the whole of that film was pretty sad.

Also, when Boxer the prolitariat horse gets sent to the glue factory in Animal Farm.

Excuse me...Ihavesomethinginmyeye...*bawl*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Iris. The whole film in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

In the film Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring:
    The main character, a young boy in training with a Buddhist monk, has been tying stones around animals (a frog and a fish) for a laugh. To make him see the error of his ways, his master scolds him, ties a rock to him and makes him pull it around for a whole day and tells him to go and release the animals he has tied. He manages to release most of the animals but finds that one of them has already died. He realises that this is all his own fault and that he cannot undo this deed in an instant - the way it's filmed, you get the impression that the boy has learned something profound about the nature of life, that he has lost his childish innocence forever. I found it sad because it reminds you that there will always be certain things that can't be undone, past injustices that can't be erased no matter what the willingness to make things better.

Advertisement