Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mollypop

Does anyone have a map for the proposed route including exits? I can't find one anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Hi, Any update on this road between arklow and wicklow? I drive riverchapel - bray everyday :) It would be nice to drive just on motorway, this narrow road makes me mad sometimes... trucks etc. I have read something on official web but they do not specify what is going on. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

iwo wrote: »
    Hi, Any update on this road between arklow and wicklow? I drive riverchapel - bray everyday :) It would be nice to drive just on motorway, this narrow road makes me mad sometimes... trucks etc. I have read something on official web but they do not specify what is going on. Thanks :)
    Read back through this thread for details but basically this gap will be closed by a motorway (or close enough) scheme in the coming years. It will be built as part of a Public Private Partnership deal. The land has been purchased and fenced off for some time but even if construction began tomorrow (which it won't), it would be a couple of years before it opened. probably be late 2012 before this opens if everything runs smoothly. I agree it needs sorting and is a gaping hole in the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

murphaph wrote: »
    The land has been purchased and fenced off for some time but even if construction began tomorrow (which it won't), it would be a couple of years before it opened. probably be late 2012 before this opens if everything runs smoothly. I agree it needs sorting and is a gaping hole in the network.

For God's sake, get this built quickly. How many more people have to die on this stretch of road before the new one is built?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

IF everything goes well with the Arklew-Rathnew/Newlands PPP then the contract will be signed in October 2011. Thats two full years, and expect it to slip into 2012 knowing this country.

And thats if things go well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Think I saw what your talking about this morning - there was a bulldozer about half way between the end of the Arklow bypass and Jack Whites - good catch, I wonder whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Quadra

It's hard to find any info on progress, but seems like there are 5 groups in the PPP bid for the N11 upgrade.

The journal is secured content - you have to be registered to access (and I'm not):

Five to bid for Ireland's N11 road PPP
    15 Oct 2009 - The project also includes the development of the N11 Gorey North Service Area, as well as an additional 31km ... Transactions. N11 Arklow-Rathnew PPP» ...
    www.ijonline.com/genv2/Secured/DisplayArticle.aspx?articleID... - Similar

If anyone has any better intel, please post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I have yet to see consortia interested in constructing the N11 Arklow-Rathnew/Newlands X scheme. I dont remember the NRA announcing a shortlist for it yet whereas the other PPP Gort-Tuam seems to be progressing ok so far in the PPP process. Also worth noting the N11 is meant to start only a few months after the M17/M18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

tech2 wrote: »
    I have yet to see consortia interested in constructing the N11 Arklow-Rathnew/Newlands X scheme. I dont remember the NRA announcing a shortlist for it yet whereas the other PPP Gort-Tuam seems to be progressing ok so far in the PPP process. Also worth noting the N11 is meant to start only a few months after the M17/M18

As far as I know the tendering process is well underway, 5 Consortia have made submissions which are presently being assessed. The 5 will be narrowed down to two shortly and these two will battle it out for the BAFO, most likely roadbridge/sisk will get it.........there may not be any earth moved this year but from what I hear early 2011 should see this project commence

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crusheenman

Hi, Does anyone know who is in the running for this project? what are the companies in the running? International or Irish? any idea on start date or where about it is at, is it defo going ahead?? Will it start before the m17/18?? sorry for so many questions!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

Hi, Does anyone know who is in the running for this project? what are the companies in the running? International or Irish? any idea on start date or where about it is at, is it defo going ahead?? Will it start before the m17/18?? sorry for so many questions!! :)

the spaniards from galway are giving it a lash so i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Quadra

This from Reuters Spain, via Google Translate:

"Globalvía Consortium, highway project finalist for Ireland

MADRID, April 20 (Reuters) - A consortium involving the Globalvía motorway company said Tuesday it has been selected as one of two finalists for the construction of the motorway N11 Arklow - Rathnew in Ireland.

"This project comprises 48 km of double lane highway of which are 16 kilometers of new road construction. Additionally, it includes the improvement and expansion of an intersection on the outskirts of Dublin," said the company owned by FCC (FCC MC) and Caja Madrid in a press release.

The consortium consists of the very Globalvía, Australia's Macquarie, the Irish P. Elliot, and Wills Bros. Jons

Globalvía did not quantify the project and would only say that the Irish State will pay a fee for availability at dealers and that the period of operation of the road is 25 years."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I wonder when the NRA will announce it ??

What is the name of this group? never heard of any of them except for Wills? (who are Working very well on Gort bypass).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Willis, Jons and Elliot in one consortium? I'd guess one/some of them would do Newlands and the others the N11; a JV with three Irish firms and the Spaniards could only get messy.

Jons did the Newcastle Road grade seperation on the N4 so NX would be up their street I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Wills will plough through the N11 scheme, it has been said before but going forward Wills Bros. and Roadbridge are the best two road construction companies in this country that will get a scheme done on time and under budget.

It's not announced yet but these two look to be rewarded for the good work they have shown in recent schemes. Roadbridge for the M17/M18 and Wills for the M11 (hopefully :D )?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

MYOB wrote: »
    Willis, Jons and Elliot in one consortium? I'd guess one/some of them would do Newlands and the others the N11; a JV with three Irish firms and the Spaniards could only get messy.

Jons did the Newcastle Road grade seperation on the N4 so NX would be up their street I guess.

Builders are all Irish, just foreign finance by the looks of it. Shouldnt be a problem IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hopefully Wills will work on the N11 gap, since they're getting the M18 section done in 18 months they should fly this one as again its an easy enough scheme without any major bridges over rivers, etc.

Newlands will take 18-24 months probably due to the amount of re-routing that'll have to go on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hopefully Wills will work on the N11 gap,

Wills and Roadbridge will hopefully make the shortlist.

It is of strategic national importance that competent contracting teams like those in Wills and Roadbridge are kept ticking over for the next 3-5 years .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

Hopefully Wills will work on the N11 gap, since they're getting the M18 section done in 18 months they should fly this one as again its an easy enough scheme without any major bridges over rivers, etc.

Newlands will take 18-24 months probably due to the amount of re-routing that'll have to go on.

the M11 A-R has lots of on line sections which will make it a awkward.

Everybody seems to be forgetting about Siac when they mention Wills. IMO they are the brains. I wouldnt put wills & roadbridge in the same league thats overcooking the turkey a little!

Jons done a very good job on the N4 at Lucan. Not to sure what Elliots know about roads but they are well run building contractor

• Advertisement

For sure its a Siac/wills JV on N18 Gort, but theres is very little siac presence around, i've dont think i cant recall seeing 1 siac machine around or even siac employees! - Wills are the guys that are doing all the big work and it is credit to them how they did it so fast. I believe siac construct the bridges and wills build the road. Sorry 123easy but i think Road bridge and Wills would be the best guys to Build roads (M11 and M17/18)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

I have been working with eurolink for the past 7 years and they seem very confident in getting the N11 job;) They are already referring to it as the south-east link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

I have been working with eurolink for the past 7 years and they seem very confident in getting the N11 job;) They are already referring to it as the south-east link

That confidence would appear to be misplaced.

I think eurolink are elimiated from selection?? can anybody confirm..? Ascon and Wills Consortium (gastro??) are selected, word on the ground anyhow..

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Anybody know when the decision is being made on the Arklow - Rathnew section and likely construction commencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

PoolDude wrote: »
    Anybody know when the decision is being made on the Arklow - Rathnew section and likely construction commencing?

Jan 2015.......:D Have heard decision to be made before end of year with construction possible starting early in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 motorwaycrazy

Just read a bit on who can build what.

we are blessed with some good home grown companies who have largely built most of the roads in this country even with foreign companies coming to the market.

Siac, Wills, Roadbridge, Bam civil. They are all capable of building these roads that are left on the PLAN. Coffey, graham, Hegarty can all build roads too. like tullamore, dunleer to dundalk and nenagh to limerick, finglas bypass and galway to ballinaloe.

When it comes to big earthmoving projects though BAM, roadbridge and wills are the top in the country. With Howley going down another player was lost in the earthmoving market. Does anyone know who bought all his equipment?

cant wait for rathnew to arklow its a piece of the n11 jigsaw that has been put on the back burner. what a pity.

123 easy,

your right elliott just a builder, never done a road before in my lifetime anyway. with the buildings gone they need the work. never worked for them but they will probably do a few bridges.

Wills a master earthmover and one of the biggest fleets in ireland. No messing with them

jons are an established civil engineering contractor who constructed the n3 blanchardstown junction on the m50 in the mid 90's, that was a massive project, also they have done road jobs in waterford, carlow and the dromod roosky scheme in roscommon. also they built the abbeyfeale road through the hills to castleisland a few years ago. great bridge builders too. they also have an earthworks fleet too.

Sometimes having more partners spreads the risk accross the project so you never know.

Great to hear that consortium news. does anyone know who the next consortium is. It will probably be Bam civil ( Ascon) They could do it all on their own.

roadbridge and wills... 2 earthmovers ...... You need a partner that can horse out the bridges thats where siac or a sisk comes in with the above earthmovers.

roadbridge and wills are in direct competition with each other

• Advertisement

Sorry but what is the M11 GAP. newlands cross I know but the n11 gap i dont. can someone fill me in.

Possible 3rd lane for bray shankhill and through kilmacanogue, whata joke they just finished the glen o the downs and kilmac. whata waste of money. let it flow as normal and give the money to roads that actually need bypasses.

as one of the persons said. its people who cannot drive in built up junctions etc and cant merge properly, drive accross chevron strips and not having enough speed built up when exiting and merging that cause tailbacks etc.

n11 is a busy corridor but lets give it a few years. you can imahine he commuters who put up with ashford bypass, geln o the downs and m50 seeing road works all over again. give them some respite.

great thread guys

Advertisement