Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options
  • 03-02-2005 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Okay, so, basically this is one of the NRA's four magical PPP schemes that will go ahead if finance is somehow found.

It involves:

- 16.5 km of dual carriageway between Arklow and Rathnew
    - The upgrade of the Newlands Cross junction to a 3+3 overpass.
    - A gorey service station on the M11
    - Maintaining 31 km of N/M11

Relevant Tender Links here:

- Main Tender
    - Technical Advisory Services
    - M11 MSA Archaeological Consultancy Services

If you get any news/updates or other info on this scheme, please post here!

N11 Map:
    3931983076_1f1089d67d.jpg

Latest on Rathnew Arklow section from Wicklow CC:

An Bord Pleanála approved the road on 31st January 2005. WE are now into the eight week judicial review period within which any aggrieved party can challenge any aspects of the decision through the courts. If such action is not taken within this period then the Road Scheme is finally confirmed. WCC is then free to commence construction of the scheme. At present we are aiming to start construction of the Road in 2006 with construction completed in 2008. Construction of the N11 Arklow Gorey Link will start this year and should be completed before the N11 Rathnew Arklow scheme. These schemes together with the completion of the M50 and the M1/N1 around Dundalk and Newry will mean that continuous motorway/dual carriageway will be available for use between Newry and Camolin Co Wexford before the end of 2008.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

You didn't find a map of the Rathnew to Arklow section aswell by any chance?

My fears may have been confirmed, the recent 2006 NRA plan does not include this project as starting this year. They have also changed the NRA web page to not show projects thru the statutory approval process and only refer to it on schemes in planning area with no dates or details.

I've pinged a few people to try to get more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

spacetweek wrote:
    I just checked the NRA plan for this year and the N11 Arklow-Gorey scheme is listed as "under construction" with completion date of 2007.
    Well if what pooldude stated is true, it is a shame about the gap between Arklow and Rathnew..

Just got this confused answer from the NRA, I have asked for clarification:

I refer to your recent e-mail in relation to the above scheme.
    >
    > The scheme is through the statutory procedures process and land acquisition is progressing. In addition, preparatory works contracts including fencing and site clearance are currently being carried out. Funding will be considered for the advancement of the scheme in the context of the Government's 10 year plan 'Transport 21', which provides, inter alia, for the provision of dual carriageway to Gorey on the N11 having regard, of course, to the level of funding available to the Authority for national roads generally and the many competing demands for these resources.
    >
    > Trusting the above is of assistance to you.

Here is the latest:

Thank you for your follow up e-mail in relation to the above.

Funding for national road projects is considered in the context of the Government's 10 year transport plan 'Transport 21', which sets out a major programme for the development of our transport infrastructure over the next decade. The period up to 2010 will focus primarily on the delivery of the major interurban road network linking Dublin to Cork, Waterford, Galway, Limerick and Northern Ireland via the M1.

In tandem with progress on the above network, many other schemes have been identified for development during the period of the 'Transport 21' Plan. A detailed prioritisation analysis of these various schemes is underway at present, which will lead to a staged programme of delivery for these projects. Following the delivery of the major interurban network the focus of national road construction will be on the delivery of the other projects in Transport 21 in line with the programme of prioritisation.

It should be noted that the Transport 21 Plan does not give indicative construction dates for individual projects on the national road network.

Trusting the above is of assistance to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

PoolDude wrote:
    Just got this confused answer from the NRA, I have asked for clarification:
    <snip>
    Sounds like they've long-fingered it. Not too surprising since they said they'd have finished N6/N7/N8/N9 by 2010 and there's still loads of work to be done.

A few sources have now confirmed this project will not commence this year. This will continue with the site clearance and fencing aswell as land aquisition and are in a position to tender as soon as the NRA gives the go ahead.

So it will be a while before we get dual carriageway on the Arklow - Rathnew stretch which considering the standard of the rest of the road once the Gorey bypass finishes next year will lead to a lot of congestion in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

spacetweek wrote:
    Sounds like they've long-fingered it. Not too surprising since they said they'd have finished N6/N7/N8/N9 by 2010 and there's still loads of work to be done.
    No, no, no, the National Development Plan says they will be finish in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

Bump!
    Any updates of the Rathnew to Arklow Road Improvement Scheme?

No. Still awaiting funding. Site clearance is almost complete.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if funding for the Arklow - Rathnew section was one of the 6 new schemes to be funded when the estimates were announced yesterday

Bump - Any info out there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

PoolDude wrote:
    Bump - Any info out there?
    No info unf. - but you can maybe piece it together.

There are (only!) 6 new schemes starting next year. You can figure out easily what most of them are going to be, just by listing the schemes that we know to be on the cusp of starting:

N6 Galway-Ballinasloe
    N7 Limerick-Nenagh
    M7/M8 Y-shaped motorway
    N9 Waterford-Knocktopher
    M3 Dublin-Navan

As for the last one, maybe it's gonna be the N11 - I seem to remember someone in here saying that it was due to start this year, so that means next year now. They said the total length was 221km - I count these as 212, so the remaining scheme must be 9 kilometres long. Seems a bit short to be anything in particular... :confused:

Of course, I know that the perennially-delayed M3 may not start next year either...

You hit the nail on the head - long finger. Just got this from the NRA:

Thank you for your email regarding the N11 Rathnew - Arklow road improvement scheme.

As you will be aware, the Government’s national transport infrastructure investment programme ‘Transport 21’ provides the framework for the development of the national roads network over the 10-year period from 2006 to 2015. Under the plan, the initial focus of the Authority’s programme of works will concentrate on the completion of the five major inter-urban routes linking Dublin to Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Galway and Northern Ireland (via the M1) to motorway/high quality dual carriageway standard. The plan anticipates the completion of these strategic routes in their entirety by 2010.

Transport 21 also provides for significant development of other key national primary roads, including the N2, N3, N4, N5, N11, N21, N22, N24, N25 and N30, the Atlantic Road Corridor from Letterkenny through Sligo, Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford, as well as a number of national secondary routes which are identified in the plan as being particularly important for regional development.

As outlined above, the Authority’s national road development programme between 2006 and 2010 is focussed on the development and completion of the five major inter-urban routes. Projects on these routes will, accordingly, receive priority for funding by the Authority during this period, with the bulk of the remaining funding available being directed towards construction works on other routes to which we are already contractually committed.

Having regard to the foregoing, I regret that it is not possible to provide a specific timeframe for the advancement of the N11 Rathnew Arklow road improvement scheme. The provision of additional funding to advance the scheme will, however, be kept under review as the objective of completing the outstanding projects on the major inter-urban routes is progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

There are all manner of quite simply *essential* road projects that need to be moved ahead even with the "inter-urban" route upgrades in progress.

Some of these are (and they are all "inter-urban" anyways!):

The two projects on the N18 (North of Ennis-Athenry) to complete Galway-Limerick dual carriageway; these will replace dangerous narrow winding single carriageway country road.

The planned N20 dual carriageway from south of Croom bypass to south of Buttevant (again, dangerous narrow winding single carriageway country road).

The planned upgrade of the N24 Limerick-Waterford to 2+1.

The N25 Cork-Waterford; the scale of what is needed here, and the terrain, is frightening.

Other essential route upgrades that might in any case be going ahead sooner than those listed above are:
    Remaining un-upgraded N4 in County Sligo.
    N11 Arklow-Rathnew.
    N15 north of Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah I emailed about the N18 and N20 stuff a while back and got the same automated, photocopied response :(

I can understand that the main Dublin - everywhere schemes need doing but FFS these two roads are in bits at the moment and need fixing BADLY.

But no chance now till at least 2010. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

PoolDude wrote:
    You hit the nail on the head - long finger. Just got this from the NRA:

Thank you for your email regarding the N11 Rathnew - Arklow road improvement scheme.

As you will be aware, the Government’s national transport infrastructure investment programme ‘Transport 21’ provides the framework for the development of the national roads network over the 10-year period from 2006 to 2015. Under the plan, the initial focus of the Authority’s programme of works will concentrate on the completion of the five major inter-urban routes linking Dublin to Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Galway and Northern Ireland (via the M1) to motorway/high quality dual carriageway standard. The plan anticipates the completion of these strategic routes in their entirety by 2010.

Transport 21 also provides for significant development of other key national primary roads, including the N2, N3, N4, N5, N11, N21, N22, N24, N25 and N30, the Atlantic Road Corridor from Letterkenny through Sligo, Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford, as well as a number of national secondary routes which are identified in the plan as being particularly important for regional development.

As outlined above, the Authority’s national road development programme between 2006 and 2010 is focussed on the development and completion of the five major inter-urban routes. Projects on these routes will, accordingly, receive priority for funding by the Authority during this period, with the bulk of the remaining funding available being directed towards construction works on other routes to which we are already contractually committed.

Having regard to the foregoing, I regret that it is not possible to provide a specific timeframe for the advancement of the N11 Rathnew Arklow road improvement scheme. The provision of additional funding to advance the scheme will, however, be kept under review as the objective of completing the outstanding projects on the major inter-urban routes is progressed.

I remember seeing a map of this scheme posted on this website several months ago, but looking back I seem unable to find it. Would anybody be able to post it again?

nordydan wrote:
    I remember seeing a map of this scheme posted on this website several months ago, but looking back I seem unable to find it. Would anybody be able to post it again?
    Have it on my computer but too big to upload. PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

spacetweek wrote:
    No info unf. - but you can maybe piece it together.

There are (only!) 6 new schemes starting next year. You can figure out easily what most of them are going to be, just by listing the schemes that we know to be on the cusp of starting:

N6 Galway-Ballinasloe
    N7 Limerick-Nenagh
    M7/M8 Y-shaped motorway
    N9 Waterford-Knocktopher
    M3 Dublin-Navan

As for the last one, maybe it's gonna be the N11 - I seem to remember someone in here saying that it was due to start this year, so that means next year now. They said the total length was 221km - I count these as 212, so the remaining scheme must be 9 kilometres long. Seems a bit short to be anything in particular... :confused:

Of course, I know that the perennially-delayed M3 may not start next year either...

Just thinking. They're building N6 Kinnegad - Athlone at the moment (2 schemes, both in construction.) That list of yours gives Galway - Ballinasloe, but theres the Athlone - Ballinasloe section to link the two up. Presumably thats the other scheme, as it comes under the whole "Must be finished by 2010 tho theres a chance it wont be" thing :)

Just thinking. They're building N6 Kinnegad - Athlone at the moment (2 schemes, both in construction.) That list of yours gives Galway - Ballinasloe, but theres the Athlone - Ballinasloe section to link the two up. Presumably thats the other scheme, as it comes under the whole "Must be finished by 2010 tho theres a chance it wont be" thing :)
    Nah, that won't be till 2008, along with a few others.

2008 likely list:
    N6 Ballinasloe-Athlone
    N7 Nenagh-Mountrath
    N8 Mitchelstown-top of M8
    N9 Kilcullen-Carlow BP
    N9 Carlow BP-south of Kilkenny city

That lot is hefty enough costwise. Don't expect anything else that year either. It'll be 2009 until any attention can go to anything else, like the rest of the N18.

• Advertisement

Some useful info (i.e. better than the lack of info to date) on my bug bear, the Arklow - Rathnew scheme:

As you may be aware, in the early years of Transport 21 the NRA are concentrating much of their efforts on completing the five Major Inter Urban (MIU) routes. As a result, a definitive commencement date for many non-MIU schemes (including the N11 Rathnew/Arklow) remains to be determined. The scheme, together with others in the national roads programme, is currently being reviewed as part of a prioritisation exercise being undertaken by the NRA.
    In the interim I understand that a total of €17.9 million has been allocated, by the NRA, for works on the N11 between the Enniskerry Junction and Arklow during 2007. This includes a figure of €7 million to continue with pre-construction works on the Rathnew/Arklow section. All of this advance activity will facilitate speedy commencement of construction once the scheme’s priority listing is reached.

Not sure what the 7m would cover, given site clearance is as good as done. Maybe boundry work along the route? Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 drfisher

jd wrote:
    From the indo
    The projects at planning stage include:
    Arklow/Rathnew, Enniscorthy Bypass

Maybe I'm missing it, but in the press release and associated document I don't see any mention of funding to commence the Arklow/Rathnew upgrade.

Here's what the NRA told me last May ...
    The Authority is very aware of the issues associated with this section of the N11 route. As you will be aware the project has been progressed through the required statutory processes and has received the necessary approval consents. The next stage in the process is to commence the tendering process and proceed to construction. The Authority has been requested by Government to prioritise the completion of the major inter-urban routes which also have capacity and safety issues associated with many sections of those existing routes.
    The Authority is committed to completing these inter-urban routes linking Dublin to Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford and the Northern Ireland border by 2010. As a consequence of the significant expenditure required for those routes, funding is not available at present to allow the commencement of the N11 Arklow to Rathnew scheme and the many other schemes which are required to be carried out. There are approximately 80 road projects in varying stages of planning and design being funded by the Authority in the current year including an allocation of EUR7 million to progress land acquisition for the scheme along with archaeological, site investigation and other enabling works. A prioritisation analysis is ongoing to establish a ranking sequence to allow a delivery programme for all of these schemes to be finalised. Upon completion of this work exact commencement dates will be established for the various schemes including the N11 Arklow to Rathnew project.

Thats still the status. They do however have funds to continue the site clearance works per my earlier posts (17.9m for N11 between Enniskerry junction and Arklow, including 7m for continued site clearance of the Rathnew/Arklow stretch). Only after the prioiritisation excercise is done by the NRA will be know when it will commence construction.

They are saying that the advanced stage of site readiness thru the work done and funds available for this this year should mean a reduced build time.

Yeah, sorry PoolDude, realized afterwards I was duplicating the information you had already received from the NRA. Obviously their form letter. FWIW, I got basically the same letter from them again today. I wonder how long they will be able to keep using the same letter :rolleyes:

Probably till the re-prioritisation is complete but who knows when that will happen. I asked if the output of that exercise would be published - no response!

More correspondence from the Minister's office this time ... same old story about the Rathnew/Arklow link ...
    I have been asked by Mr. Martin Cullen, T.D., Minister for Transport to refer further to your correspondence in connection with your observations regarding road infrastructure on the N11.

The Minister for Transport has responsibility for overall policy and funding in relation to the national roads programme as a whole. However, the implementation of individual projects, such as that on the N11, is a matter for the National Roads Authority (NRA) in conjunction with the relevant local authorities. In this regard I would refer you to Section 17 of the Roads Act, 1993, which places ‘overall responsibility for the planning and supervision of works for the construction and maintenance of national roads’ firmly with the NRA.

As you are aware, Transport 21 and the National Development Plan for the period 2007-2013, provide the strategic policy context for the provision of national road infrastructure. It is the responsibility of the NRA within this strategic framework, and not the Minister for Transport, to promote the detailed programming of the work required.

As outlined to you by the NRA, in their e-mail of 17th January, there are many individual projects across the country that could be said to benefit from upgrading. The strategic focus is primarily on the completion of the major interurban routes in the period to 2010. As a result, the question of funding available to progress other schemes is limited.

In the meantime I would like to point out that substantial work has been completed, or is in progress, on the N11 from its junction with the M50 to the Gorey Bypass. The NRA allocation for the route in 2007 is €19.5 million, €7 million of which is allocated to progressing the preparatory work on the section of road of concern to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

jd wrote:
    I see Bertie promised n11 dualled to Rosslare at the FF Ard Fheis

Thing is there is no funding provision to actually do it though...Big difference between Bertie saying something and it actually getting built. Look at the Dublin Airport metro as an example.
    Has there been any consultations between landowners and Wex coco??
    From local exp here in KK, the N9 upgrade was announced way back in early 2000. The first two sections have only gone to construction last July and this February. Very hard to see then the N11 being fast-tracked in any shape or form...

Agreed - right now the Rathnew - Arklow section which has full planning and site clearance completed is not funded to begin construction. The Enniscorthy bypass is still in the EPO and compulsory purchase stage and Ferns/Camolin is a new proposal that has about €50k in funding which will only cover talking about taking about it. There is no plan for the section from Enniscorthy to Wexford (which is already quite good) and no progress on the new Rosslare - Wexford section.

Yet still no date for the Rathnew to Arklow section which would completely remove the problem from the National road (albeit it would still be in use by local traffic).

• Advertisement

I see on the Times, it brings the total to 16 deaths in 9 years on that stretch of road and that Martin Cullen committed last week to the N11 being dual carriageway from Dublin to Rosslare by 2012.

It also highlights that the land has been ready for construction of the Rathnew - Arklow section since 2005 but has not gotten funding to commence construction in 2005, 06 or 07 with no confirmed start date.

Advertisement