Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE unveil memorial to Gerry Ryan

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

I have to agree with tipptom.

If this was a memorial which was built with public funding, built somewhere where the public could see it and pay their respects, that's fine.
    If it's a memorial and its not intended for public viewing why are we paying for it?

It doesn't matter who the person was.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

tipptom wrote: »
    That was a word that was used by someone earlier on in the thread to describe the amount that they used belong to the licence fee payer to fund their own private memorial.Its great isn't it when 5k becomes nothing when it suits you.

Still having trouble finding them words or does it still just suit you to carry on leaving the quote out of context?.

it was valetta who pointed it out, not me. I can see all your words. you used the phrase three times in your post, in three different contexts.

anyway, to help, do you mean

"the cream of Irish soceity"

or

"in THEIR workplace chip in"

or

"guys this seems to be"

to be fair, the last one was follwed by "a triffling amount" and not "this triffling amount" so I may be wrong in referencing it.

BTW I dont think Val Joyce is dead. Just in case you fire off two letters to RTE.

Ravenid wrote: »
    I have to agree with tipptom.

If this was a memorial which was built with public funding, built somewhere where the public could see it and pay their respects, that's fine.
    If it's a memorial and its not intended for public viewing why are we paying for it?

It doesn't matter who the person was.

its outside the radio station. so you can see it and pay your respects.

its acutally on the path, so you can dance on it if you wish.

I'll take it that you're fine with it after all, so.

Chum can I confirm this with you.

You think Mr. X, a public figure who was only in the position to be the top earner because of the members of the public who listened to him, who was paid by the money from the license fee paid by the members of the public. Who was easily as well liked (If not more liked.) by the members of the public than by inside the company is given a memorial paid out of public funds should receive a memorial which cannot be accessed by the public and is for the benefits of the company staff only.

It sounds like something you would heard him complaining about on his show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

You think Mr. X, a public figure who was only in the position to be the top earner because of the members of the public who listened to him, who was paid by the money from the license fee paid by the members of the public. Who was easily as well liked (If not more liked.) by the members of the public than by inside the company is given a memorial paid out of public funds should receive a memorial which cannot be accessed by the public and is for the benefits of the company staff only.

Can you confirm that it was paid for with public funds?

• Advertisement

its outside the radio station. so you can see it and pay your respects.

its acutally on the path, so you can dance on it if you wish.

I'll take it that you're fine with it after all, so.

I agree its on a path outside Radio Center.

Which is inside RTE Donnybrook.

Go ask the guard at the gate if you can go dance there.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Can you confirm that it was paid for with public funds?

Read the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

How is it for the benefits of RTE staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Valetta wrote: »
    How is it for the benefits of RTE staff?
    Statement from RTE;
    "Bronze tile is a fitting statement for his colleagues to remember him each day on their way to and from work".

said people being paid by RTE, so the 5k (i assume thats in the media somewhere) is coming from your licence fee one way or another.

I wonder, if the staff in RTE won the lotto, using your taxpayers money to buy the ticket, would that mean that you are entitled to a proportion of the winnings?

you would perhaps agree that this would be absurd. the flip side of the argument is that the entire "licence fee being used to fund a memorial" is equally absurd.

"This worship (on licence fee payers money) is ridiculous and all you can seem to justify it is that he brought in big advertising revenue which was his job and he was very very well paid for it,repeat it was his job and he made a fortune out of it."

you see, i find that to be a petty and small minded approach. You in fact accepted it was right and proper for some state workers to have memorials provided for their memories by the organisation they worked for. You just dont like it being done for Gerry Ryan.

Mr X works in a company for 35 years or so. He is the biggest fee earner for that company. In fact it is regularly reported in the media that Mr X's fees ensure that the company is kept afloat. In or about 1990 when it looked like the owners were going to close the company Mr X makes a very public stand against it and his workmates are very happy. Mr X is well liked in the company. Mr X dies whilst still employed. Some years later the company and/or the employees get a plaque made for him and put up in the company office.

Anyone who has a problem with that, well, I just find it mean spirited.

Will you keep us updated about your letter to RTE about it? Make sure you reference your TV licence number so you can get some money off next renewal.
    If the staff in RTE win the lotto gambling with tax payers money then they should be prosecuted and jailed,im sure the judge would find the proper home for the winnings.

Absolutely no problem with public memorials to some one like fire brigade and defence forces memorials for personnel dying in the line of duty.

Mr x has done great service to his company and even if he didn't it is no business of mine whether they erect a plaque to him or not because they have chipped in the money for it which is decent and respectful of them to donate to a missed colleague,have you proof that the staff at RTE whom the plaque has been erected for have done the same?

I have already told you the reason why I would not waste my time writing to RTE and this is the second time you have told me to make sure to reference my licence no,is this some type of sleveen way of trying to insinuate that I don't have a licence,if it is come right out and say it.

• Advertisement

Read the thread.

In other words, you haven't a clue who paid for it. Don't let that stop the faux outrage though.

In other words, you haven't a clue who paid for it. Don't let that stop the faux outrage though.
    Please do tell us then if his colleagues paid for it because RTE are a bit slow in confirming it.

Please do tell us then if his colleagues paid for it because RTE are a bit slow in confirming it.

I, like you, don't know.

I, like you, don't know.
    Well I have already stated that if RTE comes out and confirm that this was paid for by his colleagues I don't have any more interest in it,good luck to them but they have released everything about this plaque erected privately for his friends and colleagues except who paid for it and going on public company's history in this country this is not looking good but I think I should be free to comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Woah,what a small minded response,just because I don't like 5k being spent from the public purse on a private memorial,all of a sudden to you guys this seems to be a piffling amount from an organisation who has thrown money down the drain for years and continues to do it again and again while begging for a licence hike every year to keep up with this.

Why hasn't his big developer mates paid for this,his fast food mogul friends,his high society hotelier friends,his gourmet restaurant friends,his rock band friends and all the other wealthy friends he ran around town after whom he told us were the cream of Irish soceity pay this piffling amount of money which amounts to a quite night out for them.

Here is another idea,why didn't the guy who made it donate it which RTE have gone to great pains to tell us how great a friend he was to GR both privately and professionally and heres a novel idea,why didn't his wealthy work colleagues who got great air time talking about how much they loved and missed him and wanted a private memorial in THEIR workplace chip in this piffling amount.
    maybe you should go to counciling, this is taking over your life. its 5 grand. for someone who was one of RTES most successful staff and who payed for himself over and over. get over it, the money is spent.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

yeah. How is your letter of complaint to RTE going?

your post is simply backing up my point, espicially your middle part.

how does your 85% sample stand up to anything?

herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lucy-brushes-off-the-criticism-of-2fm-slot-27951917

I cannot post links yet due to me low post count, however, it states that at his death his show was listened to almost 300,000 people, was the number 1 show in the 20-44 demo and was bringing in €4 million a year to 2fm. that is far from "some Sack Aggies at home in the morning time"

his listenership figures were well known for years, he was bringing in that sort of figures for decades. that sounds like something that deserves a memorial in his workplace to.

would you have a problem if RTE put up a plaque for, say, Val Joyce? Donnacha O Douling?

Like I said, you if dont like the guy, fine, but despite your dessing it up, the tone of your posts are not about using licence fee money but the fact that it was done for him.
    and the fact it was RTE in general. any excuse for RTE bashing

The plaque was put up for his "friends" in RTE and a twitter announcement was circulated to say"OUR memorial to the late great Gerry Ryan",his family were involved with the selection and design,his friend designed it,and only his work colleagues were there for the unveiling and family who insisted that it be private.
    Pay for their own private memorial.
    5k is a substantial amount of money to anybody especially to a corporation who has a history of wasting money and is looking for more money to survive each year from us so if you think they would listen to me when they have rode over their own paymasters for years you are very naïve.

Is there a plaque up to Val Joyce and if so who paid for it?

This worship (on licence fee payers money) is ridiculous and all you can seem to justify it is that he brought in big advertising revenue which was his job and he was very very well paid for it,repeat it was his job and he made a fortune out of it.

As I said before if the family and friends come out and say they have paid for it then I have no more interest in it,good luck to them.
    a fortune which he trippled for 2fm

If the staff in RTE win the lotto gambling with tax payers money then they should be prosecuted and jailed

no they shouldn't, they won it fair and square
    im sure the judge would find the proper home for the winnings.

yes. the person who won it fair and square, while laughing the case out of court.
    I have already told you the reason why I would not waste my time writing to RTE

because you have no complaint, just anti-RTE rabel rabel that everybody else is board of now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Val Joyce is Alive

no they shouldn't, they won it fair and square

yes. the person who won it fair and square, while laughing the case out of court.

because you have no complaint, just anti-RTE rabel rabel that everybody else is board of now.
    So let me get this straight,you reckon that a public body that is found to have been gambling with tax payers money is somehow ok,no wonder you think its ok for RTE staff to use public money for their own private memorial for GR.
    So they use our money to gamble on the lotto,when they win they keep it,when they lose,we pay for it,bizzare.

You all say the 5k is such a small sum as to be ok,so that means you must have an estimation as to how much is your tipping point for the licence fee payer to pay for a staff and friends private memorial,10k,20k,50k?,and if this ok in RTE it begs the question what else is ok for them to use public money on private expenses?

I ask again why would the staff and friends not pay for their own private memorial to their colleague?

• Advertisement

So let me get this straight,you reckon that a public body that is found to have been gambling with tax payers money is somehow ok,no wonder you think its ok for RTE staff to use public money for their own private memorial for GR.
    So they use our money to gamble on the lotto,when they win they keep it,when they lose,we pay for it,bizzare.

You all say the 5k is such a small sum as to be ok,so that means you must have an estimation as to how much is your tipping point for the licence fee payer to pay for a staff and friends private memorial,10k,20k,50k?,and if this ok in RTE it begs the question what else is ok for them to use public money on private expenses?

I ask again why would the staff and friends not pay for their own private memorial to their colleague?
    maybe you could ask them. they probably did though.

Honest to God, hand on heart I was just going to post something along the lines of "we wont agree, this is like Dante now, lets all leave with our dignity intact"

but
    I agree its on a path outside Radio Center.

Which is inside RTE Donnybrook.

Go ask the guard at the gate if you can go dance there.

You can go into RTE anytime, I've been there, you can get to reception and you can see all the pavements you want. It is, however a workplace so there are some restrictions. The dancing on the plaque thing, well, you may be prevented as it would be in bad taste.

This, though. Well, this is through the looking glass stuff:
    If the staff in RTE win the lotto gambling with tax payers money then they should be prosecuted and jailed,im sure the judge would find the proper home for the winnings.

Absolutely no problem with public memorials to some one like fire brigade and defence forces memorials for personnel dying in the line of duty.

First Paragraph. Since it is gambling with tax payers money then I assume you think that all civil and public servants who do the lotto should also be jailed. This would apply to those who died in their line of duty too (well, if you know what I mean). Strictly speaking anyone on Social Welfare - and that includes Child Benefit - gets taxpayers money, so that's them out too.

We're gonna need a bigger prison.

Second Paragraph - you have no problem with memorials to those who died in their line of duty, well, fair enough, but there are many memorials to those who worked a long time and were respected by the staff and management in many public bodies. Again, it just boils down to the fact that you just dont like G Ryan.

I have been asking how your letter of complaint is going and you havent replied at all. You see, the only way you are going to get an answer is not by chatting about it with dopes such as myself but by going right to the top. I think we would all be interested to know what RTE has to say about this and I think you are the right person to ask and I hope that you will let us see the PDF of the reply (with of course all personal info redacted).

Till then, have a good weekend.

Advertisement