Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE unveil memorial to Gerry Ryan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

now i know how the shinners felt in the 80s !

:D

Maybe he could use the voice of an actor:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

.......Well, even if the workers in RTE paid for it, then since their salaries are partly paid for through the licence fee then its the same thing really.

Are you serious?

We'll apply that logic to nurses, firemen, EMT's and let's not forget those on the welfare/job seekers.

It's my damn money, I demand to know what they waste my money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

More Music wrote: »
    It's a wind up, right?
    i'm afraid its not

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Are you serious?

We'll apply that logic to nurses, firemen, EMT's and let's not forget those on the welfare/job seekers.

Spot on and I am glad to see the end of road thanks you on it.

If this was erected with licence payers money then we should be told about it and given a reason why some people in RTE wanted to generously do something for their colleague but wanted the licence payer to generously pay for it.

I would love to hear that conversation in the canteen,"Guys we need to do something for poor Gerry",everybody enthusiastically agrees,"can I have €30 each?",everybody slinks of with something important to do,ah sure Fu*ck it we will take out the TV funding,it will still be a nice gesture from us.

Couple of weeks ago there was outrage over Mary Harneys sense of entitlement where she got herself a new Iphone courtesy of the taxpayer knowing she was retiring from the Dail a week later,its all an entitlement to live of public money no matter how small the sum and no amount of he made me titter behind my hand because he said masturbation on the the radio or he had a lot of listener's should change that.
    We don't owe Gerry Ryan or his family nothing because he was more than well looked after by RTE throughout his whole life for doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pilchards

He was a much loved man for a long time by most of the public but unfortunately fell to a decline near the end of his career. Sounds a bit like Bertie Ahern to me!! I'd love to see the uproar of a Bertie plaque. He did do good, he was loved and had a funny attitude, he didn't intent to go down the road he did and was influenced by others with decisions. Yet the public only offer sympathy to a select few, another example, Katy French. They both made the decisions they made themselves and left nothing behind for those close to them bar questions and upset. Shouldn't have a memorial plaque, he was a man who had a mask on to impress all of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

Are you serious?

you can indeed apply that logic to all of those things. For example, if the local fire service erects a memorial to deceased members or indeed if you want you can DEMAND to know how much the UN memorial garden to the deceased members of the defence forces has cost the tax payer.

You can apply it further, why not DEMAND to know how much every broken white line on the road costs. Why should your damn money pay for broken white lines outside my house, why should my money pay for yours.

In fact we should, as tax payers, get a cent by cent breakdown sent out to us for EVERYTHING the entire state does with our taxpayers money each year. It's only fair.

tipptom wrote: »

If this was erected with licence payers money then we should be told about it and given a reason why some people in RTE wanted to generously do something for their colleague but wanted the licence payer to generously pay for it.

I would love to hear that conversation in the canteen,"Guys we need to do something for poor Gerry",everybody enthusiastically agrees,"can I have €30 each?",everybody slinks of with something important to do,ah sure Fu*ck it we will take out the TV funding,it will still be a nice gesture from us.

Couple of weeks ago there was outrage over Mary Harneys sense of entitlement where she got herself a new Iphone courtesy of the taxpayer knowing she was retiring from the Dail a week later,its all an entitlement to live of public money no matter how small the sum and no amount of he made me titter behind my hand because he said masturbation on the the radio or he had a lot of listener's should change that.
    We don't owe Gerry Ryan or his family nothing because he was more than well looked after by RTE throughout his whole life for doing his job.

Can you let us see your letter to RTE about it? or does your outrage only go as far as this forum?

lots of publicly funded organisations erect memorials to dead members. The fact that he had a lot of listeners line is a bit rich, he had the biggest listenership on the station, he revived the station in the late 80's early 90's. His show was a lot more than **** - a lot of the first stories about child clerical abuse were aird on his show, on the TV yeah he was a disaster, but on the radio he could go from being an ass to handling the most sensitive and emotional interview with ordinary people with great sensitivity and deacency.

The fact that all you can recall about his show was the **** thing (which was a thing he deliberately ran with when the show first started FFS in the 80s) suggests to me that this is all about begrudgery, it isnt even based on a critique of his show.

not on topic, but the poster above who mentioned irish water is not happy that apparently their HQ has a gym in it.

i assume RTE has a gym in it too. Maybe Gerry Ryan used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

I think the problem people have with the Gerry Ryan thing is that RTE and its 'celebrities' refuse to accept that Gerry was anything but a genius or a cheeky chappie who embarrassed housewives in their kitchens. They refuse to accept that he used cocaine in large amounts. A piece by one of his former producers claimed that he didnt do drugs in great quantities as he was overweight. http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/i-dont-think-gerry-was-a-big-cocaine-user-29221618.html Which is very stupid as there is a famous phenomena known as 'Coke Bloat' Everyone seems to equate heavy drug usage with heroin but we hear more and more about abuse of prescribed drugs like valium and xanax.

They also refuse to accept that he was anything but a devout family man. His partner appears to be getting the long cold shoulder from RTE http://www.goss.ie/2014/10/rte-snubbed-gerry-ryans-partner-melanie-verwoerd-at-unveiling-of-special-memorial/ Bertie Ahearns partner was accepted at the highest levels so the Irish people have no problem with someone moving onto a new partner so why cant RTE.

It would be rare for people to talk of Richard Harris or Peter O Toole without mentioning their problems with alcohol. Same goes for Paul McGrath and George Best. The Irish people are good at accepting flawed talent. Its RTEs insistence on him being whiter than white that is angering people.

I think he deserves a plaque for the amount of listeners he had and his time served. Look at what Tubs has done with the spot, those listeners chose to leave after Gerry, he was keeping them there.But someone really should have spent a couple of minutes thinking of something better than 'The Ryan Line' It shows that they refuse to accept any associations with drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Did my TV licence pay for that?

Yeah they saved it up ever since you started paying ;)

• Advertisement

you can indeed apply that logic to all of those things. For example, if the local fire service erects a memorial to deceased members or indeed if you want you can DEMAND to know how much the UN memorial garden to the deceased members of the defence forces has cost the tax payer.

You can apply it further, why not DEMAND to know how much every broken white line on the road costs. Why should your damn money pay for broken white lines outside my house, why should my money pay for yours.

In fact we should, as tax payers, get a cent by cent breakdown sent out to us for EVERYTHING the entire state does with our taxpayers money each year. It's only fair.
    That's just the limit,equating Gerry Ryans memorial with deceased defence forces and fire brigade members memorials.

All Gerry Ryan cared about was himself,fine food and developers in this country,he pretended to care about people to keep himself in the lifestyle that he had become accustomed to and was a massive snob.
    Just read his book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

His show was a lot more than **** - a lot of the first stories about child clerical abuse were aird on his show,

The fact that all you can recall about his show was the **** thing (which was a thing he deliberately ran with when the show first started FFS in the 80s) suggests to me that this is all about begrudgery, it isnt even based on a critique of his show.

Some of my favorite Gerry Ryan shows where the ones where he was berating drug dealers.......

rabel rabel ****ing rabel. what part of you were never going to see that money don't you understand? difference between a company doing something in memory of one of its successful staff and someone buying an iphone. its only you and the other few who just use any excuse to bash RTE who complain. the rest of us can see it for what it is. now cut the fo outrage, get over it, and move on. the money is spent.

rabel rabel ****ing rabel. what part of you were never going to see that money don't you understand? difference between a company doing something in memory of one of its successful staff and someone buying an iphone. its only you and the other few who just use any excuse to bash RTE who complain. the rest of us can see it for what it is. now cut the fo outrage, get over it, and move on. the money is spent.
    No difference,both using public money to finance their own personal projects only in the GR case it is even more pathetic given hi "friends" thought so little of him that they would not contribute themselves personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I miss his show. Bar a few tribute shows immediately after his death, I stopped listening to 2FM from that point on. He was irreplaceable (I liked the guy, loved his show (warts and all). Probably felt a bit of an affinity as we went to the same secondary school (albeit 15 years apart) and lived in the same area.

Like him or loathe him, 5 kids (most of whom are adults now, fair enough) had to grow up without a father and that's always a sad thing.

To the keyboard warriors with their "did my licence fee pay for that?" comments: Get a grip and show some compassion.

That's just the limit,equating Gerry Ryans memorial with deceased defence forces and fire brigade members memorials.

All Gerry Ryan cared about was himself,fine food and developers in this country,he pretended to care about people to keep himself in the lifestyle that he had become accustomed to and was a massive snob.
    Just read his book.

right so in other words you're entire argument boils down to "I dont like Gerry Ryan and so they shouldn't have put up a plaque for him" because if it was about tax payers money simply being used for memorials you would have a problem with it being done for anyone.

Which is fair enough, thats your opinion and you are entitled to it, but dont run the old "taxpayers money" routine.

right so in other words you're entire argument boils down to "I dont like Gerry Ryan and so they shouldn't have put up a plaque for him" because if it was about tax payers money simply being used for memorials you would have a problem with it being done for anyone.

Which is fair enough, thats your opinion and you are entitled to it, but dont run the old "taxpayers money" routine.
    No, completely down to fee payers having to pay for a private memorial for his colleagues to look at on their way to work and was a private unveiling among themselves and expect some one else to pay for it.

The fact that he was a well known hypocrite,snob and drug addict who was well known to be ignorant and arrogant outside off air does not help his case as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'll ask again - does anyone actually know who paid for the plaque?

This entire, rather pathetic, debate is utterly pointless without that information.

No difference,both using public money to finance their own personal projects only in the GR case it is even more pathetic given hi "friends" thought so little of him that they would not contribute themselves personally.
    how do you know they didn't contribute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Yakuza wrote: »
    I miss his show. Bar a few tribute shows immediately after his death, I stopped listening to 2FM from that point on. He was irreplaceable (I liked the guy, loved his show (warts and all). Probably felt a bit of an affinity as we went to the same secondary school (albeit 15 years apart) and lived in the same area.

Like him or loathe him, 5 kids (most of whom are adults now, fair enough) had to grow up without a father and that's always a sad thing.

To the keyboard warriors with their "did my licence fee pay for that?" comments: Get a grip and show some compassion.

Well said.

• Advertisement

how do you know they didn't contribute
    I don't,but I don't want them to contribute for their private memorial to their hero,i want them to pay for it.

RTE could have put this one to bed from day one but seem reluctant,I wonder why?
    You think because GR was loved by some Sack Aggies at home in the morning time who thought GR loved them back and was one of their own, LOL, that everybody is happy about payers fees being used for this you are much mistaken.

I have read his book and have talked with a lot of people since before he died and after and I have to say he was 85% disliked to put it mildly and a lot of that was even before his hypocrisy and unashamed arrogance was revealed to the wider public.

So until RTE stands up and show that the licence payer has not been shafted for his colleagues private memorial or you can give me irrefutable proof then I will continue to have a different view of this to you and their will be no "end of" as you keep repeating to me,if they do I will be out of here and you can continue to lay your own public(because you sure as hell wont be able to see the private one that was laid for his colleagues in RTE) verbal shrines to Gerry to your hearts content and I have no problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I don't,but I don't want them to contribute for their private memorial to their hero,i want them to pay for it.

RTE could have put this one to bed from day one but seem reluctant,I wonder why?
    You think because GR was loved by some Sack Aggies at home in the morning time who thought GR loved them back and was one of their own, LOL, that everybody is happy about payers fees being used for this you are much mistaken.

I have read his book and have talked with a lot of people since before he died and after and I have to say he was 85% disliked to put it mildly and a lot of that was even before his hypocrisy and unashamed arrogance was revealed to the wider public.

So until RTE stands up and show that the licence payer has not been shafted for his colleagues private memorial or you can give me irrefutable proof then I will continue to have a different view of this to you and their will be no "end of" as you keep repeating to me,if they do I will be out of here and you can continue to lay your own public(because you sure as hell wont be able to see the private one that was laid for his colleagues in RTE) verbal shrines to Gerry to your hearts content and I have no problem with that.

What a petty, small-minded and contemptible post.

Valetta wrote: »
    What a petty, small-minded and contemptible post.
    Woah,what a small minded response,just because I don't like 5k being spent from the public purse on a private memorial,all of a sudden to you guys this seems to be a piffling amount from an organisation who has thrown money down the drain for years and continues to do it again and again while begging for a licence hike every year to keep up with this.

Why hasn't his big developer mates paid for this,his fast food mogul friends,his high society hotelier friends,his gourmet restaurant friends,his rock band friends and all the other wealthy friends he ran around town after whom he told us were the cream of Irish soceity pay this piffling amount of money which amounts to a quite night out for them.

Here is another idea,why didn't the guy who made it donate it which RTE have gone to great pains to tell us how great a friend he was to GR both privately and professionally and heres a novel idea,why didn't his wealthy work colleagues who got great air time talking about how much they loved and missed him and wanted a private memorial in THEIR workplace chip in this piffling amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

.....this piffling amount.

That's why your posts are petty and small-minded.

yeah. How is your letter of complaint to RTE going?

your post is simply backing up my point, espicially your middle part.

how does your 85% sample stand up to anything?

herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lucy-brushes-off-the-criticism-of-2fm-slot-27951917

I cannot post links yet due to me low post count, however, it states that at his death his show was listened to almost 300,000 people, was the number 1 show in the 20-44 demo and was bringing in €4 million a year to 2fm. that is far from "some Sack Aggies at home in the morning time"

his listenership figures were well known for years, he was bringing in that sort of figures for decades. that sounds like something that deserves a memorial in his workplace to.

would you have a problem if RTE put up a plaque for, say, Val Joyce? Donnacha O Douling?

Like I said, you if dont like the guy, fine, but despite your dessing it up, the tone of your posts are not about using licence fee money but the fact that it was done for him.

Valetta wrote: »
    That's why your posts are petty and small-minded.
    Why don't you go back and put in the 5-6 words before that phrase that you used out of context.icon8.png

Why don't you go back and put in the 5-6 words before that phrase that you used out of context

you used the phrase 3 times in your post.

yeah. How is your letter of complaint to RTE going?

your post is simply backing up my point, espicially your middle part.

how does your 85% sample stand up to anything?

herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lucy-brushes-off-the-criticism-of-2fm-slot-27951917

I cannot post links yet due to me low post count, however, it states that at his death his show was listened to almost 300,000 people, was the number 1 show in the 20-44 demo and was bringing in €4 million a year to 2fm. that is far from "some Sack Aggies at home in the morning time"

his listenership figures were well known for years, he was bringing in that sort of figures for decades. that sounds like something that deserves a memorial in his workplace to.

would you have a problem if RTE put up a plaque for, say, Val Joyce? Donnacha O Douling?

Like I said, you if dont like the guy, fine, but despite your dessing it up, the tone of your posts are not about using licence fee money but the fact that it was done for him.
    The plaque was put up for his "friends" in RTE and a twitter announcement was circulated to say"OUR memorial to the late great Gerry Ryan",his family were involved with the selection and design,his friend designed it,and only his work colleagues were there for the unveiling and family who insisted that it be private.
    Pay for their own private memorial.
    5k is a substantial amount of money to anybody especially to a corporation who has a history of wasting money and is looking for more money to survive each year from us so if you think they would listen to me when they have rode over their own paymasters for years you are very naïve.

Is there a plaque up to Val Joyce and if so who paid for it?

This worship (on licence fee payers money) is ridiculous and all you can seem to justify it is that he brought in big advertising revenue which was his job and he was very very well paid for it,repeat it was his job and he made a fortune out of it.

As I said before if the family and friends come out and say they have paid for it then I have no more interest in it,good luck to them.

you used the phrase 3 times in your post.
    That was a word that was used by someone earlier on in the thread to describe the amount that they used belong to the licence fee payer to fund their own private memorial.Its great isn't it when 5k becomes nothing when it suits you.

Still having trouble finding them words or does it still just suit you to carry on leaving the quote out of context?.

• Advertisement

The plaque was put up for his "friends" in RTE and a twitter announcement was circulated to say"OUR memorial to the late great Gerry Ryan",his family were involved with the selection and design,his friend designed it,and only his work colleagues were there for the unveiling and family who insisted that it be private.
    Pay for their own private memorial.
    5k is a substantial amount of money to anybody especially to a corporation who has a history of wasting money and is looking for more money to survive each year from us so if you think they would listen to me when they have rode over their own paymasters for years you are very naïve.

Is there a plaque up to Val Joyce and if so who paid for it?

This worship (on licence fee payers money) is ridiculous and all you can seem to justify it is that he brought in big advertising revenue which was his job and he was very very well paid for it,repeat it was his job and he made a fortune out of it.

As I said before if the family and friends come out and say they have paid for it then I have no more interest in it,good luck to them.

said people being paid by RTE, so the 5k (i assume thats in the media somewhere) is coming from your licence fee one way or another.

I wonder, if the staff in RTE won the lotto, using your taxpayers money to buy the ticket, would that mean that you are entitled to a proportion of the winnings?

you would perhaps agree that this would be absurd. the flip side of the argument is that the entire "licence fee being used to fund a memorial" is equally absurd.

"This worship (on licence fee payers money) is ridiculous and all you can seem to justify it is that he brought in big advertising revenue which was his job and he was very very well paid for it,repeat it was his job and he made a fortune out of it."

you see, i find that to be a petty and small minded approach. You in fact accepted it was right and proper for some state workers to have memorials provided for their memories by the organisation they worked for. You just dont like it being done for Gerry Ryan.

Mr X works in a company for 35 years or so. He is the biggest fee earner for that company. In fact it is regularly reported in the media that Mr X's fees ensure that the company is kept afloat. In or about 1990 when it looked like the owners were going to close the company Mr X makes a very public stand against it and his workmates are very happy. Mr X is well liked in the company. Mr X dies whilst still employed. Some years later the company and/or the employees get a plaque made for him and put up in the company office.

Anyone who has a problem with that, well, I just find it mean spirited.

Will you keep us updated about your letter to RTE about it? Make sure you reference your TV licence number so you can get some money off next renewal.

Advertisement