Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sami Jenkis

Hey folks, first post but thought i'd throw in my tuppenceworth. I'd agree that DLS are definitely the team that everybody's chasing. They're strong and compact all over the field. However, as the old cliche goes, it's all on the day and who's to say they can't be caught? If B'gunner, Mt Sion and Abbeyside win this weekend, then it would make for a DLS-Bgunner quarter final, which would be very interesting indeed.

When you take DLS out of it, there's really not a lot between 5 or 6 of the other teams. After their very shaky start, Ballygunner still have the fire power and talent to go all the way, however the loss of Wayne Hutchinson for the rest of the year is a big blow. It should be an interesting game against Passage this weekend, but one I can see the gunners coming out of.

Passage themselves are certainly on a high at the moment, apart from the obvious threat of Kelly they a young fit team, who have blended well together. May fall a bit short this year, but certainly a team on the up.
    Lismore have really been disappointing so far. From a team that I thought could be an outside bet to win it, their fate is out of their own hands this weekend. Their defence looks shaky with Shane Kearney a huge loss for them, as he has always been a reliable club player. They still have a lot of great individual players, and will be a tough game for anyone in the quarters if they get there. If results go for them on Sunday, I could see them playing Mt Sion in the QF, which should be a cracking tie. Although poor against Passage, they still have a very capable team, although the loss of M O'Neill and Galgey to serious leg injuries was a huge blow for them. Nobody has been saying much about fourmilewater who are quietly going about their business, maybe not in the same fashion as last year, but winning none the less. A very good team on their day, and one that teams will like to avoid in knockout.
    I also wouldn't wrote Abbeyside off yet. They are a big strong, physical team who are very direst, and with Pudge Hurney a serious handfull in FF, they are capable of an upset on their day.

For this weekend's games, I hear DLS are missing 7 or 8 players, including Moran and Mullane so you couldn't rule out a Tallow win, which would knock Lismore out! Although for all group games, I would predict Fourmile to beat Ballyduff, Lismore to beat An Rinn and DLS to beat Tallow in 1 group. And on the other side should be a cracker between Abbeyside and Dungarvan, with A'Side prevailing. After last week's great showing Gunners will be on a high, and I expect them to dispose of Passage. And Mount Sion should still have more than enough for Roanmore given their injuries and young Gleeson suspended. If all the above happen then it would make quarter finals of.....

De La Salle vs Ballygunner
    Mount Sion vs Lismore
    Fourmilewater vs Abbeyside
    Ballyduff vs Passage

Some crackers there!!!

P.s, apologies for the long 1st post!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

The Cccccccccccccc have rejected limericks appeal on technical grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

robopaddy wrote: »

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/3/2208131929-cccc-press-release/

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

The CCCC is precluded by Rule 7.10 (n) from considering the objection: “No objection or counter-objection may be submitted on grounds that a referee had incorrectly allowed or failed to allow a score.”

That's a nice clause to have..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Don't think that argument stands up really in fairness, pretty sure the ref didn't allow it because he felt obliged by Hawkeye, not because he actually thought it was wide. Hope Limerick will continue through the appeals process as I do genuinely feel they were shafted but it also allows us to stay nicely under the radar. After this weekend's senior games the minor games are being put back to allow a two week break from competitive games and by God do some of our lads need it.

• Advertisement

That's a nice clause to have..

A cop out. Basically trying to shaft responsibility on the ref who actually had a fine game

A cop out. Basically trying to shaft responsibility on the ref who actually had a fine game

I wonder if this had happened to Dublin or Cork would it have been dismissed out of hand in such a derisory fashion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Are dls really missing 7 or 8 against tallow? The west side might be worth a few pound in the bookies @ 5/1

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Are dls really missing 7 or 8 against tallow? The west side might be worth a few pound in the bookies @ 5/1

Well as far as I hear, they're missing Ian Flynn, Moran, Twomey, Mullane, John Keane, and obviously Daniels gone for the year. The 1st 2 are the spine of their defence, and besides Dillon, Mul and Keane are probably their most prominent scorers. 5/1 might not be a bad outside shout.
    I've heard Abbeyside are around 13/8 to beat Dungarvan?? If so that's where my money will be going this weekend!!!

Well as far as I hear, they're missing Ian Flynn, Moran, Twomey, Mullane, John Keane, and obviously Daniels gone for the year. The 1st 2 are the spine of their defence, and besides Dillon, Mul and Keane are probably their most prominent scorers. 5/1 might not be a bad outside shout.
    I've heard Abbeyside are around 13/8 to beat Dungarvan?? If so that's where my money will be going this weekend!!!
    Jesus Tallow wouldn't be a bad shout so, they need a win to go through. Abbeyside down to 11/10 now! I was waiting for the ballygunner price to be posted up and I'd say a number of people are after backing abbeyside now. Be evens by sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Well its definitely Waterford v Galway Minors as Limerick were denied a replay.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Well its definitely Waterford v Galway Minors as Limerick were denied a replay.

Whether this whole thing will have a psychological effect on Galway or whether it will galvinise them will be interesting to see. The powers that be will ve hoping for a waterford wun thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DeiseX

Does anyone know when the next stage of the Limerick appeal will be? Have they another avenue if they are denied by the CACCCCCCCCCC??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chef89

De La Salle missing 7 or 8? Word on the street anyway, I'm backing Tallow at 5/1 anyway. A De la Salle loss would put Lismore out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

If this isn't sorted by 8th September, do we win by default? Not that I'm wishing for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Lads (and lasses, but in the context I think 'lads' is gender-neutral), what's the deal with the work in Walsh Park? What can we expect to be in place at the end?

deiseach wrote: »
    Lads (and lasses, but in the context I think 'lads' is gender-neutral), what's the deal with the work in Walsh Park? What can we expect to be in place at the end?

Tiered, concrete terraces with better access ? Just guessing, am curious too since I heard the announcement on wlr a little while back..

Tiered, concrete terraces with better access ? Just guessing, am curious too since I heard the announcement on wlr a little while back..

concreting the mud banks can slip on them dead handy ,the CB just asking to be sued

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Where is this 5/1 coming from? No odds online.

Looking forward ot the games, hope to head to a couple. Pity all the games are on at the same time but I get why its being done that way.

Where is this 5/1 coming from? No odds online.

Looking forward ot the games, hope to head to a couple. Pity all the games are on at the same time but I get why its being done that way.
    I was only guessing the price because that's around what they usually offer in this situation, it looks like the county champions against a struggling team but that's not the case this weekend if de la salle are missing 7 or 8 players. Is this game on sat or sunday night?

I was only guessing the price because that's around what they usually offer in this situation, it looks like the county champions against a struggling team but that's not the case this weekend if de la salle are missing 7 or 8 players. Is this game on sat or sunday night?

Tomorrow night:

De La Salle v Tallow @ Fraher Field
    Ballyduff Upper v Fourmilewater @ Cappoquin
    Lismore v An Rinn @ Clashmore

Sunday:

Abbeyside v Dungarvan @ Fraher Field
    Ballygunner v Passage @ Walsh Park
    Mounst Sion v Roanmore @ Kill

All games throw in at 7pm this weekend.

concreting the mud banks can slip on them dead handy ,the CB just asking to be sued

Not if they're tiered/ stepped..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

wheres the best place to park in Cappoquin?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

Dungarvan

If you're heading to the match tomorrow, depending on how early you are there are parking spcaes just outside the grounds. But the teams will be there 45 mins in advance so they probably won't be there when you get down. They do have a yard in the grounds, but dunno if they'll open it or not given it's pay at the gate, maybe theyll; have someone there collecting money.

After that, you;d have to go up the town and look for parking spaces, not great really when it comes to parking.

About time we did somethin with dat place tho in fairness its an embarrassment

Anybody hear about Maurice Shanahan breaking his knuckle during the week??????

• Advertisement

weldone to Antrim u21s and their manager Kevin 'skin' Ryan. What a job he has done with them. Shame to think his own county board dont see him as good enough to manage his own county

weldone to Antrim u21s and their manager Kevin 'skin' Ryan. What a job he has done with them. Shame to think his own county board dont see him as good enough to manage his own county

Great victory. To think that Antrim were +15 in the handicap before the game. Kevin Ryan deserves a lot of credit for the work he's put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Developement Squad Results

U14
    Waterford 1-9 Kilkenny 0-10
    U15
    Waterford 4-9 Kilkenny 4-7
    U16
    Waterford 2-11 Kilkenny 2-19

3ships wrote: »

U14
    U15
    U16

Futures bright. Gone are the days when wed have been hockeyed in all 3 games

So Lismore out of the championship despite a 24 point victory tonight! Big surprise they didn't make the top 4 in their group. As said previous, DLS were a lot of players short, so it left the door open for Tallow who creep into 4th place in the group. so final standings are..
    1. DLS 8pts
    2. Fourmile 8pts
    3. Bduff 5pts
    4. Tallow 5pts
    5. Lismore 4pts
    6. Ring 0pts

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

U14
    U15
    U16

At the Pilltown show today an anouncement over the tannoy said, Best of luck to our neighbours Waterford in the minor final bring the cup back to the suirside. Thought that was a very nice jesture along with about a thousand other Waterford people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

So Lismore out of the championship despite a 24 point victory tonight! Big surprise they didn't make the top 4 in their group. As said previous, DLS were a lot of players short, so it left the door open for Tallow who creep into 4th place in the group. so final standings are..
    1. DLS 8pts
    2. Fourmile 8pts
    3. Bduff 5pts
    4. Tallow 5pts
    5. Lismore 4pts
    6. Ring 0pts
    Waterford badly needs new county champions. I will leave it at that.

culbaire wrote: »
    Waterford badly needs new county champions. I will leave it at that.

Out of curiosity, care to expand on that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I mentioned him last wk here.i didnt c the game,but heard antrim were unbelievable,shades of 89 against offaly.

I believe,from what i read today,ryan only took over them three wks ago ,as wanted the u21,job at the start of the year,but was refused,but said enough was enough and tk them over.

He only had twelve in training.He said no way,.could they win.He was better than he thought himself.
    Yere like cork,we wont give the right men the jobs,and are own worst enemy at county board level.
    That guy said,he was done out of the job years ago,and wdnt go back now.
    The county board should be ashamed of themselves.

I mentioned him last wk here.i didnt c the game,but heard antrim were unbelievable,shades of 89 against offaly.

I believe,from what i read today,ryan only took over them three wks ago ,as wanted the u21,job at the start of the year,but was refused,but said enough was enough and tk them over.

He only had twelve in training.He said no way,.could they win.He was better than he thought himself.
    Yere like cork,we wont give the right men the jobs,and are own worst enemy at county board level.
    That guy said,he was done out of the job years ago,and wdnt go back now.
    The county board should be ashamed of themselves.

Waterfords loss has certainly been Antrims gain when you compare how both u21 teams performed this year. He was quite emotional after the game you could see it meant a lot to him. A genuine hurling man nice to see there is some reward there for his years of hard work in lower ranked counties

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

U14
    U15
    U16

Roll on the tony forristal next weekend always enjoyed going to the tournament be great if the A and B teams played at same venue they'd have some support then but understand completely why they can't,best of luck to both teams

• Advertisement

I hear theres a 'meet and greet' type press conference on Monday night with Waterford minors. Anyone know anything about this? I hope not think it is totally unecessary distraction for the lads and dont really see the benefit of it

I hear theres a 'meet and greet' type press conference on Monday night with Waterford minors. Anyone know anything about this? I hope not think it is totally unecessary distraction for the lads and dont really see the benefit of it

At the start of the year I would have agreed with you. However the minors have had such great support from the stands this year and I thought it was particularly great to hear young kids say 8 or 9 years of age cheering on players by name. Real feel good factor and it's great that kids that age have guys they can aspire to because they are the future. I suspect this might have something to do with it.

Really looking forward to Dungarvan Abbeyside in the Fraher tonight, making the trip back for it. Slightly conflicted in terms of who to support so I think Dungarvan and Passage both winning would probably be the best outcome for myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

@LismoreGAA: Well,well,well Tallow beat De La Salle who would have seen that one coming,oh wait everyone in the county'

Lismore got themselves in a position in the group that meant a win against the weakest team in the group was still not going to be enough, so how can they blame DLS? Very disrespectful to Tallow who went out and got something out of games against ballyduff upper and DLS.

If Lismore were missing the two shanahans, Dave Bennett, Paudie Pendergast, ray Barry then Ring may have beaten them as well. That is the position DLS were in.
    If they had anything about them they would have wished tallow and DLS the best of luck in the rest of the championship and save their accusations for there own players who got them knocked out of the championship long before yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

noiniho wrote: »
    @LismoreGAA: Well,well,well Tallow beat De La Salle who would have seen that one coming,oh wait everyone in the county'

Lismore got themselves in a position in the group that meant a win against the weakest team in the group was still not going to be enough, so how can they blame DLS? Very disrespectful to Tallow who went out and got something out of games against ballyduff upper and DLS.

If Lismore were missing the two shanahans, Dave Bennett, Paudie Pendergast, ray Barry then Ring may have beaten them as well. That is the position DLS were in.
    If they had anything about them they would have wished tallow and DLS the best of luck in the rest of the championship and save their accusations for there own players who got them knocked out of the championship long before yesterday.
    Tallow must be installed as favourites now to win the county title and the Munster club championship. Tallow is now a super team. You are aware that Tallow was hammered by Lismore. Tallow has seven or eight players ready to step onto the Waterford senior team. lol

Absolutely agree, very poor form from Lismore. That said I do think Lismore are unquestionably a better team than Tallow and it is a shame they are out but like you said they only have themselves to blame for not beating a very ordinary Ballyduff side. Tallow will likely be well beaten in the quarter finals by either Passage or Mount Sion.

culbaire wrote: »
    Tallow must be installed as favourites now to win the county title and the Munster club championship. Tallow is now a super team. You are aware that Tallow was hammered by Lismore. Tallow has seven or eight players ready to step onto the Waterford senior team. lol

Ridiculous comment. Every team at the start of the group have their own destiny in their hands. Tallow beat Ring, and got a good draw with Ballyduff before it even came down to the last game. I'm far from a De La Salle supporter but they were dead right in what they did not playing Intermediates. You look out for number 1. If Lismore had aspirations to win the county championship, then they should be looking into why they lost 3 championship games!
    And yes, credit has to be given to Tallow. Don't forget they were in a county final 2 years ago! Tomas Ryan, Paul O Brien, Mark O' Brien, The Kearneys, James Murray. If you're telling me these lads aren't experienced, good club hurlers, then you don't know a whole lot about the club championship.

Apparently the county board have said that it's a necessary obligation for all teams involved in the final to participate in. Can understand the GAA making the Senior temas do it, but not the Minors. They should be left concentrate on one thing only, and that's the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Ridiculous comment. Every team at the start of the group have their own destiny in their hands. Tallow beat Ring, and got a good draw with Ballyduff before it even came down to the last game. I'm far from a De La Salle supporter but they were dead right in what they did not playing Intermediates. You look out for number 1. If Lismore had aspirations to win the county championship, then they should be looking into why they lost 3 championship games!
    And yes, credit has to be given to Tallow. Don't forget they were in a county final 2 years ago! Tomas Ryan, Paul O Brien, Mark O' Brien, The Kearneys, James Murray. If you're telling me these lads aren't experienced, good club hurlers, then you don't know a whole lot about the club championship.

Lismore could only beat tallow and ring, the two weakest teams of the group. They didn't deserve to go through...
    Any sel respecting Lismore hurling man, of which there are many, would agree, and a few I have spoken to felt the same

Since when are lismore looking for favours from anyone? And they should rethink who has the keys for their twitter account.

Culbaire ridiculous comment here not worth a reply

I'd say Tallow are happy enough to be honest, couldn't care less what nonsense Lismore are spouting. It's funny though, somebody already talked about their attitude after the Fourmile match for complaining to referees that they say present after the Minor final and u21 final last year too.

But it's not just the players who would be more entitled to feel aggrieved when they actually play the matches, its whoever runs their twitter as well. This sort of attitude that they have a right to be in the quarters and are automatically better than 2 of the 6 teams in the group is why they lost to Ballyduff, it's how they ended up not topping the group last year, and it's how they lost to Tallow (yes, the very same team they're trying to undermine now!!) two years ago.

Until they sort that attitude out, they will not win a county even if they have some fantastic players.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Culbaire ridiculous comment here not worth a reply

He said lol at the end. I enjoyed reading something light hearted here..

Also not that I agree with the Lismore attitude (has to be a huge reason why theyre not hanging around county finals) but its nice to read something honest and fresh instead of this politically correct crap that often gets churned about. I cant imagine too many are going to take it very serious anyway

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement