Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

bagels wrote: »
    <Sorry but off topic at best, can get boards in trouble at worst>

Apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not "Coincidence" just reflective of the fact that costs of doing business e.g. rates etc. are usually higher in Galway than it would be in say Oranmore. The same thing happens near most of the cities & larger towns in Ireland.

Not true, it's all down to competition and whether the competition is real or not. Galway has always been 2 or 3c more expensive than dublin / Limerick / cork not to mention claremorris etc. Why? competition, galway City has had the same few operates for years, new competition via top in Flemings has helped and once applegreen opens in the old Renault site prices will allign with the other cities.

In terms of costs most of the petrol stations in galway haven't changed hands in years(in fact topaz own their 3 big sites in galway and haven't invested much in them in the last 15 yrs), wages aren't that materially different for cashiers and the fact the fuel is drawn from galway port mitigates some of the extra costs. And that's not even mentioning the higher turnover galway would have v country stations especially in the higher margin stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Not true, it's all down to competition and whether the competition is real or not. Galway has always been 2 or 3c more expensive than dublin / Limerick / cork

That's a perception not based on fact but based on visiting places once in a blue moon, not regularly seeing the price changes.

I lived In Dublin for years, saw the petrol prices in Dublin fluctuate in the same pattern as they do in Galway. Unhappily for this myth I kept records.

When I'm going to Dublin I often buy petrol to top up the tank, so it's not unusual to have two fills in the weekend. There were two stations I visited in Dublin that had a lower cost/l than in Galway: Tesco when getting the 5c/10c per litre discounts & a fully automated station near Santry (that charged 4c/l less than most of North Dublin).

The cheapest place in Dublin (relative to the other stations) was a fully automated station near Santry - this charged 4c-5c/l less than everywhere else (I wonder why?).

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Article in this week's edition of the Connacht Tribune:

http://connachttribune.ie/galway-cars-wrecked-by-petrol-stretching-scam-505/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

146.9 for petrol and 138.9 for diesel in Loughrea

It's €1.39 for diesel in the Topaz at the West Bridge, but they always seem to be a bit dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Article in this week's edition of the Connacht Tribune:

Is it known where the owners of these cars that were wrecked bought the fuel that wrecked them?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

Diesel price in Corrib Oil's yard on the Tuam Road, Galway today 3/11/14 is 136.9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

might this have any influence on prices here..

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/competition-consumer-agencies-join-to-form-single-commission-1.1987390

personally I doubt it but maybe if we send in a few new enquires into them they might sniff around to justify their existence

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

diesel €1.41 topaz westside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,736 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I was in Limerick the weekend, in various towns. Seen petrol for 1.35 and Diesel for 1.27 in a few places.

Rip off Galway still holding out

• Advertisement

Got diesel today in topaz kilbeggan for €1.31 a litre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Diesel in Athleague, Roscommon today was 127.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Diesel was 135.9 in one of those petrol stations beside the Galway Golf Club in Salthill on Sunday evening, the one nearest the prom.

Wont be long before new Applegreen station is open on Tuam Road, they will probably be quite aggressive on pricing, especially for first few months to establish a customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

In Athenry, petrol is 145.9 and diesel is 137.9, while in Loughrea they are 140.9 and 132.9 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Topaz westside diesel 136.9 petrol 144.9

Cuniffe's of Clonboo (Texaco): thursday Dec 11th:

Petrol 139.9
    Diesel 131.9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

b.gud wrote: »
    Topaz westside diesel 136.9 petrol 144.9

That's normally one of the more expensive stations around the city.

That's normally one of the more expensive stations around the city.

I know I was surprised too

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    I know I was surprised too

It's still a rip off

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's still a rip off

Ya but then again so is pretty much everywhere around the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

I was in Ennis yesterday and saw diesel for €1.29 in Liddys - Big difference to this here Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Driving past the Texaco (diesel only, self service) station opposite Merlin hospital this morning, they are down to 129.9

lampsie wrote: »
    Driving past the Texaco (diesel only, self service) station opposite Merlin hospital this morning, they are down to 129.9

That's more like it

Sofa King wrote: »
    I was in Ennis yesterday and saw diesel for €1.29 in Liddys - Big difference to this here Galway.

Galway seems to be the most expensive part of the country to buy fuel in. South east & midlands had the vast majority of the diesel prices between €1.29 & €1.33 per litre this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Petrol 1.39 in Monaghan's.

Great Gas (Claregalway) sunday 14th Dec:

petrol 137.9
    diesel 131.9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Was on journey down to Tipperary this week and in general the prices from Limerick down to around Tipp town were I guess an average of 1.36 (cheapest I saw was 1.33, nothing above 1.39). Drive up into Galway and immediately back upto 1.40 to 1.44.
    How can they justify that pricing if not in a cartel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Webbs wrote: »
    Was on journey down to Tipperary this week and in general the prices from Limerick down to around Tipp town were I guess an average of 1.36 (cheapest I saw was 1.33, nothing above 1.39). Drive up into Galway and immediately back upto 1.40 to 1.44.
    How can they justify that pricing if not in a cartel.

Not long till Applegreen come along and rattle things up a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I got petrol today in the topaz opposite the galway airport for 138.9 and their diesel was 134.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I got petrol today in the topaz opposite the galway airport for 138.9 and their diesel was 134.9

Diesel at Esso at Tony Burke Motors is 132.9

Topaz silverstrand diesel is €1.32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

I don't begrudge anybody a bargain and I certainly won't criticise people for the choices they make. However, I'll walk before I'll buy fuel from Topaz or Esso filling stations, both owned by Denis O'Brien and having boards stuffed with the likes of Brian Cowen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Esso Ballybrit new prices

Petrol: 135.9 litre

Diesel: 129.9 Litre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If people believe there is a cartel, make a simple complaint to the investigating body.
    The Competition Authority
    http://www.tca.ie/Complaints.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    If people believe there is a cartel, make a simple complaint to the investigating body.
    The Competition Authority
    http://www.tca.ie/Complaints.aspx

This has been debunked before in Galway by the competition authority.

https://www.competitionpolicyinternational.com/competition-authority-rules-out-gas-station-price-fixing-in-galway

http://connachttribune.ie/petrol-price-fixing-in-galway-ruled-out/

However home heating oil has seen cartels successfully prosecuted

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/oil-firm-chiefs-face-sentence-for-fixing-price-of-home-fuel-26393571.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Anyone know where to get cheap petrol around Galway? Unleaded = 1.28 in Athenry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

think I saw 1.29 in Topaz at Arch Motors on Seamus Quirke Rd

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

petrol Station in terryland is very cheap (the one near Lidle) Usually 54 euro for a full tank in Maxol Salthill but was 47 euro there! They use Claddagh Oil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Petrol 126.9 at Woodquay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

snubbleste wrote: »
    Petrol 126.9 at Woodquay
    if thats the place near walsh cycles i wouldnt go there for me petrol, cos it didnt last long for the same milage as we usualy do.not happy:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

131.8 in the new Applegreen

131.9 in the Top on the Tuam Road

137.9 in the Topaz in Westside

Some difference in Petrol prices in the city!

Applegreen is great.

Bye bye Topaz and your rip-off prices for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Applegreen is great.

Bye bye Topaz and your rip-off prices for years

Apple green is very expensive when you get inside though. I guess they have to make their money somewhere.

Apple green is very expensive when you get inside though. I guess they have to make their money somewhere.

No idea, I won't be shopping there. Fuel only

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Aren't all fuel station shops expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

if as is expected, the dollar keeps gaining on the Euro then prices will be set for continued rises in the near future. Just like to update everybody on the good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

How much is diesel in the applegreen?

zarquon wrote: »

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »

Advertisement