Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage (Poll on The Journal)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Eve was made from one of Adams ribs

That, and the fact they didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Except that's not the point he made.

He was blaming "liberals" for something or postrulating that people who are liberal are automatically brainwashed or haven't reserched the topic. The posts I quoted weren't even on topic - he was just using it as a platform.

My opinons are based on my own experiences. I know plenty of gay people who lead happy living lives, both married and unmarried and I don't see why they should not have the same rights as straight married couples. There's no sacred "cow" involved.

I'd also like to point out that I know many conservative people who have no objections to gay marraige also.

Don't know any "PC" liberals though.
    He keeps registering to pretend to himself that people who have views that he disagrees with are just trying to be trendy. And anyone who uses the terms "PC liberal leftie" is automatically an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,076 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He keeps registering to pretend to himself that people who have views that he disagrees with are just trying to be trendy. And anyone who uses the terms "PC liberal leftie" is automatically an idiot.

Ah, so there's a chance he'll be back to answer my quesstion then?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Except that's not the point he made.

He was blaming "liberals" for something or postrulating that people who are liberal are automatically brainwashed or haven't reserched the topic. The posts I quoted weren't even on topic - he was just using it as a platform.

My opinons are based on my own experiences. I know plenty of gay people who lead happy living lives, both married and unmarried and I don't see why they should not have the same rights as straight married couples. There's no sacred "cow" involved.

I'd also like to point out that I know many conservative people who have no objections to gay marraige also.

Don't know any "PC" liberals though.

Hey, I'm not accusing you of anything personally, I'm gay myself, and support gay marriage, also I know some gay people who don't support it. I agree that marriage equality is objectively right, but I do agree with that banned poster that there's such a thing as right-on automatic liberalism and I think it's actually damaging.

Edit: It's like in school, where one doesn't get marks just for writing down the correct answer without showing the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I've voted in every referendum and every election since I turned 18 over 12 years ago, however I would be highly unlikely to vote in a referendum on same-sex marriage.

I am in favour of it, and if I was to change my mind on whether to vote between now and whenever it happens I would definitely be voting Yes.

However, due to the fact that it is completely unnecessary to hold a referendum in order to allow for same sex marriage I don't feel like I should vote in it. The referendum would be a sham. the constitution does not need to be changed in any way in order for same-sex marriage to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

, also I know some gay people who don't support it. I

I gotta say I'm really quite curious as to what their motivation is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Henlars67 wrote: »
    The referendum would be a sham. the constitution does not need to be changed in any way in order for same-sex marriage to happen.

A referendum can be held on issues which don't involve changing the constitution so while marriage equality SHOULD be introduced without a referendum boycotting such a referendum would be a rather unwise strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Actually I think I know what he's talking about, you meet many, many, many people who hold liberal views re: marriage equality, sexism etc but they can't actually defend them any better than a lot of Biblebashing conservatives. You might think the typical liberal views are right (and I do) but people aren't arriving at them by thinking things through, they're just uncritically absorbing them from their peers and that damn pinko media :pac: And it does lead to a sacred cow situation, the best example is that if anyone asks "so what makes people gay" or "are there any significant differences between the abilities of different races for xyz" the conversation is shut down immediately with cries of homophobia and racism. I'd imagine it's just as frustrating as, for example, asking a Christian why they disagree with gay marriage and being told "because the Bible says so and you're going to hell that's why"

PS I love your username

Not all Christians are against gay marriage-I'm a Christian and I wouldn't have a problem with it.I don't push my beliefs on anyone and think and state should be separate.
    Btw-it does not say in the bible does say one will go to hell for being gay or being gay and getting married.

wexie wrote: »

They tend to be older, put up with terrible abuse over their sexuality for most of their lives and see it as condescending to the community as a whole for the straight establishment to deign to allow them to marry. They'd be people who I imagine have fond memories of a very separate and subversive LGBT community from fado fado and use words like "breeders" to refer to heterosexuals. Also because marriage is a bourgeois institution and should be done away with altogether (not my views, theirs, and not all of those views held by every person)

They tend to be older, put up with terrible abuse over their sexuality for most of their lives and see it as condescending to the community as a whole for the straight establishment to deign to allow them to marry. They'd be people who I imagine have fond memories of a very separate and subversive LGBT community from fado fado and use words like "breeders" to refer to heterosexuals. Also because marriage is a bourgeois institution and should be done away with altogether (not my views, theirs, and not all of those views held by every person)

hmm.....when you first said that I thought it was really quite illogical. But when you put it like this it makes sense in a kinda 'well **** you too then' way especially the 'allowed' bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I'm all for marriage between people of the same sex. No problems with it, it's only right that gay people have the right to have all the protections the state endows on the married.

What I do have a problem with is the stipulation that it can only occur between two people. Why should a person be limited to being married to one person? I'd like two or three wives, but it is a big no-no according to the law. What's with that??

Splendour wrote: »
    Not all Christians are against gay marriage-I'm a Christian and I wouldn't have a problem with it.I don't push my beliefs on anyone and think and state should be separate.
    Btw-it does not say in the bible does say one will go to hell for being gay or being gay and getting married.

I know that, sorry, should have said "some Christians".
    hmm.....when you first said that I thought it was really quite illogical. But when you put it like this it makes sense in a kinda 'well **** you too then' way especially the 'allowed' bit.

Yeah, I get where they're coming from but I kind of feel the same way as I do towards other opponents of gay marriage "don't get gay married so". On a practical level the issues of inheritance/insurance/adoption etc are more important as far as I'm concerned.

Hey, I'm not accusing you of anything personally, I'm gay myself, and support gay marriage, also I know some gay people who don't support it. I agree that marriage equality is objectively right, but I do agree with that banned poster that there's such a thing as right-on automatic liberalism and I think it's actually damaging.

Edit: It's like in school, where one doesn't get marks just for writing down the correct answer without showing the work.

Yeah, I know - but he's still soapboxing and has not a clue what he's talking about.

I know one who's not comfortable with the idea because he says gay men are too promiscuous. But then the straight ones aren't all saints either.

I know one who's not comfortable with the idea because he says gay men are too promiscuous. But then the straight ones aren't all saints either.

What do you say to something like that? Just goes to show you get loonies of all varieties and sexual preferences.

What do you say to something like that? Just goes to show you get loonies of all varieties and sexual preferences.

Pointed out the fact about straight men!

Also something about gay men being adults and having the right to make a decision for themselves, which sparked off a debate about whether or not bannign gay marriage was a characterisitc of a nanny state. Don't remember what happened after that, it was in the George many years ago.

(Don't read anything into that last sentence)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It takes a special kind of stupidity to care about what two other people do with each other and all parties are consenting. Gay people deserve every right that straight people deserve, and that includes marriage and all that comes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I have no problem with same sex marriage whatsoever. There's enough hate and badness in the world, we could do with a bit more love.

I really don't understand why people oppose it. Why do people care what two consenting adults do? I also hate the argument that it devalues the institution of marriage - I don't feel my marriage is any less valid because of other people's choices. I'm living my life and they're living theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Is marriage a right, really? In reality marriage is restricted and bound by rules.

hansfrei wrote: »
    Is marriage a right, really? In reality marriage is restricted and bound by rules.

Which rules states that you have to be straight?

EDIT - In answer to your question yes, indeed it is.
    Article 16.

(1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
    (2) Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
    (3) The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Listen its obvious from the good book that god created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.......... That's all the evidence any sensible human being requires.

Now being serious a few years ago I would have been generally a wee bit homophobic and by extension against gay marriage etc. Nothing really a big deal just snide comments with friends etc. I have since grown up and have a very close gay friend now. I now would support gay marriage if nothing else so as they too can go through the sheer hell of marrying someone who you later discover you don't really want to be with and all the subsequent endless fun and lawyer based frolics later. Lol.

Its 2013. There is no sensible reason why 2 adult men etc can't get married if they really want to. (Apart from insanity about wanting to get married, lol)
    Who really gives a fe&ck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If you take After Hours to be 10% against and Journal.ie to be 40% against that would, in my estimation, make the Journal.ie readership four times as retarded as After Hours'.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There are two types
    1: Conservative religious types
    2: Radical queer types who feel that marriage has been an opressive institution towards women and that it is heteronormative and will mean lgbt people will be assimilated into heteronormative lifestyles.

Examples

1 http://richardtwaghorne.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/gay-marriage/

2 http://queerkidssaynomarriage.wordpress.com/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

humbert wrote: »
    If you take After Hours to be 10% against and Journal.ie to be 40% against that would, in my estimation, make the Journal.ie readership four times as retarded as After Hours'.

Wait til Journal goes 'Full Retard'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

How condescending is it to even have this brought to referendum?

Shall we "let" gay people get married? Seriously?

FFS.

Denying gay people something which straight people can enjoy unimpeded purely because of their sexual orientation is complete BS.

If you're against gay marriage you should rescind your right to get married in protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

There are two types
    1: Conservative religious types
    2: Radical queer types who feel that marriage has been an opressive institution towards women and that it is heteronormative and will mean lgbt people will be assimilated into heteronormative lifestyles.

Examples

1 http://richardtwaghorne.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/gay-marriage/

2 http://queerkidssaynomarriage.wordpress.com/

LGBT marriage too? Thats a whole range of marriages so. How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

If there were a referendum it certainly wouldn't pass as easily in this poll

the majority of people in favour would be younger propel, many of whom have no interest in politics or voting. Compare that with the older people who would see it as sin who always vote.

No dOubt it would pass though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

efb wrote: »
    Wait til Journal goes 'Full Retard'

Yeah lads, well done, ye're all about "It's 2013, conservative idiots, should be equality for all, yada yada...", yet the pair of ye will still use
    an archaic and insulting term
    that denigrates another minority in society.

I'm all for marriage equality and all myself, but AH is saturated with this shìte. The reality is that neither Boards, nor The Journal, are representative in any respect of Irish society, and there are swathes of young, non-religious people who are opposed to gay marriage, simply because "I don't like it!".

They don't have to argue or defend themselves on here (let's be honest, threads like these are only preaching to the choir so to speak), they just go into the booth and tick "NO", and opinions like the above are just as damning evidence that just because you support marriage equality, that doesn't exclude a person from being dismissed as an ignorant idiot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Yeah lads, well done, ye're all about "It's 2013, conservative idiots, should be equality for all, yada yada...", yet the pair of ye will still use
    an archaic and insulting term
    that denigrates another minority in society.
    Your opinion which I do not share and which has been discussed at great length on that thread and therefore can do without being discussed on this one, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Your opinion which I do not share and which has been discussed at great length on that thread and therefore can do without being discussed on this one, I think.

I was making an observation humbert, that was all, and as for your pointing out that one issue was discussed "at great length" on that ONE fcuking thread, you have to be having a laugh?

How many times has the issue of marriage equality been brought up again and again in AH, and you're getting pissy because I made one fcuking thread in feedback and left it at that?

Jesus fcuking wept - "I want my rights, as long as I have my rights I don't give a fcuk about anyone else"...

Sounds awful bloody familiar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement