Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage (Poll on The Journal)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dean0088 wrote: »
    If there is a referendum - I hope it's in parallel to another issue so more people will get out an vote.

I can see many people who would vote 'yes', assuming it will get passed and not bothering their asses to spend fifteen minutes going to the polling station.

This would give the god fearing Catholics / conservatives / bigots a lead in quashing the amendment.
    People should not need an incentive to get off their holes to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You don't need a divorce to live separately.

Yeah but it helps. Surely people getting the tax/inheritance benefits that come with marriage while not living together is making a bit of a mockery of the whole thing? And what if one partner wants to get married again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yeah but it helps. Surely people getting the tax/inheritance benefits that come with marriage while not living together is making a bit of a mockery of the whole thing? And what if one partner wants to get married again?

I agree. I was just saying you don't need to be divorced to live separately. My ex lived in the UK for 16 years before divorcing me. I was separated for 6 years before divorce was even legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I agree. I was just saying you don't need to be divorced to live separately. My ex lived in the UK for 16 years before divorcing me. I was separated for 6 years before divorce was even legal.

How does being separated or divorced lessen the institution of marriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

kneemos wrote: »

You're asking the wrong person. I'm separated, divorced and remarried and the catholic neighbours' marriages haven't fallen apart, my kids haven't been bullied, our house hasn't been targetted, our pet hasn't been poisoned. In fact, the very fabric of society doesn't seem to be falling asunder around here.

I'm totally in favour of second marriages! Everyone should try it!

• Advertisement

You're asking the wrong person. I'm separated, divorced and remarried and the catholic neighbours' marriages haven't fallen apart, my kids haven't been bullied, our house hasn't been targetted, our pet hasn't been poisoned. In fact, the very fabric of society doesn't seem to be falling asunder around here.

I'm totally in favour of second marriages! Everyone should try it!

I get what you're saying now, think your first reply to kneemos made it look like you were saying there was no need for divorce because people could just separate, happily everyone's on the same page :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

There does seem to be a large difference between Boards and Journal (No voter btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yellow121 wrote: »
    Am, the people in the book were called Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Adam and Eve weren't married as I recall.

kneemos wrote: »
    It cheapens the vows.

"For better, for worse........." etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yellow121 wrote: »
    Am, the people in the book were called Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Eve was made from one of Adams ribs

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It cheapens the vows.

"For better, for worse........." etc etc.

Aren't those from the specifically religious vows though? How does it lessen the value of marriage as an institution? I always kind of thought one of the primary functions of marriage (once you take religion out of it) was to provide a formalised family unit to raise children in, I'd say it lessens the value of marriage to, for example force children to be raised under the same roof as an alcoholic or a violent parent or something like that?

Aren't those from the specifically religious vows though? How does it lessen the value of marriage as an institution? I always kind of thought one of the primary functions of marriage (once you take religion out of it) was to provide a formalised family unit to raise children in, I'd say it lessens the value of marriage to, for example force children to be raised under the same roof as an alcoholic or a violent parent or something like that?
    Far from exclusive to a church wedding, to the best of my knowledge.

In all the weddings I have been to in my lifetime (church and non-religious) I have never heard the care of children mentioned in the vows.
    I have however heard the phrase "for better, for worse" more times than I care to recall.

As regards your point regarding an alcoholic or abusive parent, whether the parent is married or not has no bearing on these 'traits' coming to the surface.

Without sounding flippant, the phrase "You can chose your friends, but you can't chose your family" comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I wouldnt call the type of individual who read journal.ie a fair representation of the irish public. There is certainly a lot of people with unique views and values on it.

But I cant understand why giving its acceptable in 2013, to deny someone their human rights on the ground of their sexual orientation. Im reading a book at the moment that says 20% of LGBT people seriously considered committing suicide and many others suffer with mental health issue. What message do you send to a 14 year old struggling with their sexuality, that they are a second class citizen in Ireland?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Far from exclusive to a church wedding, to the best of my knowledge.

In all the weddings I have been to in my lifetime (church and non-religious) I have never heard the care of children mentioned in the vows.
    I have however heard the phrase "for better, for worse" more times than I care to recall.

As regards your point regarding an alcoholic or abusive parent, whether the parent is married or not has no bearing on these 'traits' coming to the surface.

Without sounding flippant, the phrase "You can chose your friends, but you can't chose your family" comes to mind.

I'm sure they're used outside of church weddings, they are specifically religious in origin though right? If a couple gets married without using those standard vows are they less married? Is it ok for them to get a divorce because they didn't say that?

Married doesn't have an effect on those traits, but the person's age and the length of the relationship does (somebody who's a funny drunk at 20 can be a mess by 30, somebody who never had a drink til they were 30 can be a mess by 40, somebody could have an untreated mental illness which both gets progressively worse and makes them very unsuitable to be around children). The longer the relationship, the more likely the people are to be married.

That's a bad way of not sounding flippant, you sound flippant enough for me to assume you've been lucky enough to never have lived with anyone violent or suffering from alcoholism, particularly when you're half their size and flippant people are saying "deal with it because marriage"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 steel_balls

Manach wrote: »
    There does seem to be a large difference between Boards and Journal (No voter btw)

boards is a relentless onslaught of right on liberalism 24 - 7 so that's hardly surprising

wouldn't surprise me in the least if a referendum past but I doubt it would be a beat beyond single figures percentage wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Grayson wrote: »
    And it's because some people feel queasy at the thought of two men having sex. Not so much about two women doing it for some reason.

I would feel more queasy at the thought of 2 women having sex than two men. Although it is not something that crosses my mind very often!
    That journal poll really puts in perspective the ignorance of a large population of this country. ****ing depressing.

You can't call someone ignorant just because they don't your viewpoint. They could just as easily call you ignorant for not agreeing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

boards is a relentless onslaught of right on liberalism 24 - 7 so that's hardly surprising
    Oh yeh letting people who have nothing to do with you get married is real "right on liberalism".

Splendour wrote: »
    I would feel more queasy at the thought of 2 women having sex than two men. Although it is not something that crosses my mind very often!

You can't call someone ignorant just because they don't your viewpoint. They could just as easily call you ignorant for not agreeing with them.

I wouldn't call them ignorant. If someone opposes it on religious grounds that's fine by me, they're free to believe what you want. I fundamentally cannot relate to the basis of their argument, we're not going to agree. Difference is I'm not forcing them to run out and marry a member of the same sex, or denying their partner parental rights over children they've raised for years.

If someone disagrees on non religious grounds, I still wouldn't call them ignorant, "wrong" does just fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 steel_balls

Oh yeh letting people who have nothing to do with you get married is real "right on liberalism".

right on pc liberalism involves supporting pre approved sacred cows unconditionally , no questions asked

these sacred cows can be groups like travellers and muslims or causes like gender equality or so called marriage equality to name just two

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Wow.. Almost 10% against. I didn't think 1 out of 10 people on this forum are still in the 18th century. How sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Can bi people marry one of each?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I wouldn't call them ignorant. If someone opposes it on religious grounds that's fine by me, they're free to believe what you want. I fundamentally cannot relate to the basis of their argument, we're not going to agree. Difference is I'm not forcing them to run out and marry a member of the same sex, or denying their partner parental rights over children they've raised for years.

If someone disagrees on non religious grounds, I still wouldn't call them ignorant, "wrong" does just fine.

'Wrong' is the same as calling them ignorant-they would equally say you are wrong. Who decides what's right and what's wrong? That is why we have a democratic voting system-if the people decide on a yes vote then the no camp have to shut up and put up and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Drakares wrote: »
    Wow.. Almost 10% against. I didn't think 1 out of 10 people on this forum are still in the 18th century. How sad.

I know, amazing right? People with differing views to yourself. Unbelievable.

It will blow your mind when I tell you that gay marriage is still illegal in over 90% of the countries in the world.

Splendour wrote: »
    'Wrong' is the same as calling them ignorant-they would equally say you are wrong. Who decides what's right and what's wrong? That is why we have a democratic voting system-if the people decide on a yes vote then the no camp have to shut up and put up and vice versa.

Eh, no, those are two different words. Ignorant implies they don't know or understand what they're talking about, which is pretty patronising so I tend to avoid it. If someone says they don't like the Beatles, I wouldn't call them wrong, in the case of denying marriage to same sex couples I would, because they are, there is literally no good reason to continue it. we can argue it out point by point if you want? I'd prefer to see gay marriage brought in democratically for sure, it would make it a bit more future proof and be a guard against those "gay agenda" arguments, but up to and including when that does happen, I'll continue to say it's objectively wrong to oppose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

wouldn't surprise me in the least if a referendum past but I doubt it would be a beat beyond single figures percentage wise
    right on pc liberalism involves supporting pre approved sacred cows unconditionally , no questions asked

these sacred cows can be groups like travellers and muslims or causes like gender equality or so called marriage equality to name just two

Ah yes, those damn liberals again! Refer to something as "liberal" and suddenly everything is evil and it all makes sense! Throw in a P and a C and people don't even ask what the **** you're talking about - they just jump on the it-all-makes-sense bandwagon!

What the **** are you talking about?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Ah yes, those damn liberals again! Refer to something as "liberal" and suddenly everything is evil and it all makes sense! Throw in a P and a C and people don't even ask what the **** you're talking about - they just jump on the it-all-makes-sense bandwagon!

What the **** are you talking about?
    He's banned. It's that guy that keeps re-regging over and over to spout angry bollox.

He's banned. It's that guy that keeps re-regging over and over to spout angry bollox.

Dammit! Just when I thought I was going to get an answer to the PC question!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

let them get married why would anyone be bothered about what anyone else does in the privacy of their own homes?

Dammit! Just when I thought I was going to get an answer to the PC question!

Actually I think I know what he's talking about, you meet many, many, many people who hold liberal views re: marriage equality, sexism etc but they can't actually defend them any better than a lot of Biblebashing conservatives. You might think the typical liberal views are right (and I do) but people aren't arriving at them by thinking things through, they're just uncritically absorbing them from their peers and that damn pinko media :pac: And it does lead to a sacred cow situation, the best example is that if anyone asks "so what makes people gay" or "are there any significant differences between the abilities of different races for xyz" the conversation is shut down immediately with cries of homophobia and racism. I'd imagine it's just as frustrating as, for example, asking a Christian why they disagree with gay marriage and being told "because the Bible says so and you're going to hell that's why"

PS I love your username

• Advertisement

Actually I think I know what he's talking about, you meet many, many, many people who hold liberal views re: marriage equality, sexism etc but they can't actually defend them any better than a lot of Biblebashing conservatives. You might think the typical liberal views are right (and I do) but people aren't arriving at them by thinking things through, they're just uncritically absorbing them from their peers and that damn pinko media :pac: And it does lead to a sacred cow situation, the best example is that if anyone asks "so what makes people gay" or "are there any significant differences between the abilities of different races for xyz" the conversation is shut down immediately with cries of homophobia and racism. I'd imagine it's just as frustrating as, for example, asking a Christian why they disagree with gay marriage and being told "because the Bible says so and you're going to hell that's why"

PS I love your username

Except that's not the point he made.

He was blaming "liberals" for something or postrulating that people who are liberal are automatically brainwashed or haven't reserched the topic. The posts I quoted weren't even on topic - he was just using it as a platform.

My opinons are based on my own experiences. I know plenty of gay people who lead happy living lives, both married and unmarried and I don't see why they should not have the same rights as straight married couples. There's no sacred "cow" involved.

I'd also like to point out that I know many conservative people who have no objections to gay marraige also.

Don't know any "PC" liberals though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement