Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Anyone but the French" t-shirts. British tabloids stoking anti-French sentiment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Scummy cheap tactics by The Sun. Quelle Suprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

England/Britain (anti-EU)
    Sun = Scum and that's "The Truth"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I've been sporting my t-shirt since that faithfull day. Looking forward to getting a little more use out of it in the coming months.

I think it better depicts my feelings towards the whole situation.

114530.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

fontanalis wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't get out of control in Sweden before you get there.

So do I. I don't think most people object to a reasonable number of immigrants who work and pay taxes, as I would have to do in Sweden, Brits are just getting annoyed that we have millions of immigrants and alot of them just live off our taxes rather than working. I wouldn't be allowed to live in a park in Sweden and kill wild swans to eat, or break into people's sheds and set up home there, as some immigrants have been found to be doing in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Right, enough of dubious posters called StormWhatever.

OP, France the football team is not France the Nation. The pro-EU claptrap in there is vote rigging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I wouldn't be allowed to live in a park in Sweden and kill wild swans to eat, or break into people's sheds and set up home there,.......

Unless you did it in the name of the Empire.....

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I don't like football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

If it happened that one of the Irish players done the same we'd be saying nothing about it.**** happens I much prefer to see France in the world cup then Ireland Ribery,Anelka and Evra to Andrews,Folan and Mcshane we played negatively the whole qualifying stage till it came to the must win game and Trap couldn't play his tactics and we actually played decent football and people say the irish were robbed we still had to win the game might never of happened who knows.
    The sun is only promoting that campaign to get more Irish support for the English cause we were wearing anyone but the English t-shirts last world cup speaking of which where would you get one of those these days:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Anyone who buys the sun isn't very intelligent and that is a stupid poll.
    The End

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

If they end up playing one another I hope both of them lose.
    Can't abide either of them- bunch of overpaid, cheating cvnts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

mendusa wrote: »
    If it happened that one of the Irish players done the same we'd be saying nothing about it.**** happens I much prefer to see France in the world cup then Ireland Ribery,Anelka and Evra to Andrews,Folan and Mcshane we played negatively the whole qualifying stage till it came to the must win game and Trap couldn't play his tactics and we actually played decent football and people say the irish were robbed we still had to win the game might never of happened who knows.
    The sun is only promoting that campaign to get more Irish support for the English cause we were wearing anyone but the English t-shirts last world cup speaking of which where would you get one of those these days:confused:.
    The same place where you'd get a full stop and a comma, apparently ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 NatWW

Guys,

I'm just sooo fed up of this backlash against the French. Just saw the new Sky HD advert tonight for the World Cup which says X millions of viewers will be supporting everyone but the French.

There's also the Curry's ad and the Pizza Hut one.

I'm so fed up with this all. Before you say anything, yes I'm French and NO, I am not proud of what Henry did. In fact, the whole country resents what he did, former French internationals have also publicly condemned what happened on that day.

I can assure you that no one in France is proud of what Henry did to Ireland (with the ref's ascent I might add).

This is simply shameful but I'm just soo annoyed right now at all these anti-French campaigns going around.

Henry should be the only one blamed here, why should it be the French as a whole or even the French team? Most of Henry's team members are ashamed of what he did and are surely not proud of making it to the World Cup in these conditions.

So yeah, I'm ranting because I just argued with my hubby (Irish) who thought that all this is just a bit of joke for fun. It might have been fun when the first anti-French advert came out but this is not fun anymore, I can assure you...

Nat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pro-England in the football but not anti-EU politically.

It's time for us as a nation to get the fuck over Henry-gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

NatWW wrote: »
    Guys,

I'm just sooo fed up of this backlash against the French. Just saw the new Sky HD advert tonight for the World Cup which says X millions of viewers will be supporting everyone but the French.

I'm so fed up with this all. Before you say anything, yes I'm French and NO, I am not proud of what Henry did. In fact, the whole country resents what he did, former French internationals have also publicly condemned what happened on that day.

I can assure you that no one in France is proud of what Henry did to Ireland (with the ref's ascent I might add).

This is simply shameful but I'm just soo annoyed right now at all these anti-French campaigns going around.

Henry should be the only one blamed here, why should it be the French as a whole or even the French team? Most of Henry's team members are ashamed of what he did and are surely not proud of making it to the World Cup in these conditions.

So yeah, I'm ranting because I just argued with my hubby (Irish) who thought that all this is just a bit of joke for fun. It might have been fun when the first anti-French advert came out but this is not fun anymore, I can assure you...

Nat

Don't let the cretins get you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WallysWorld

I am British, currently unfortunately living in Britain, and in my experience, the anti-EU and similar sentiments put out by the British media don't represent what the British people actually feel. I am not proud to be British in the slightest, I wish I was Swedish, and my aim in life is to live in Sweden permanently. My elderly British relatives encourage the younger ones to move abroad as Britain is such a dump now. Lots of the yound Brits I know aim to live abroad. Of course there are some who are into all the anti-EU stuff, but that's mostly because of the out-of-control immigration we have had for the past few years, it's generally not because we think Britain is any better than any other country. I also don't know anyone in real life who has anything against the French.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you are a racist, names like stormwarrior don't do you any favour's when talking about immigration issues.

Also I generally like both French and English people but it's traditional to want to see the English fail and who am I to break with tradition! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dionysus wrote: »
    Fair enough. But the media campaign is about a lot more than a sport. And it seems few if any media outlets are actively pro-EU these days.

Starting an anti-French campaign is using this country to advance the long-standing political agenda of the rightwing British press.

Aside from that, this country receives a huge number of French tourists each year.

Have you just recovered from a coma? Of course sport is more than politics,eg Celtic v Rangers, or nearer home Croke Park v Soccer?

France also has more than it's fair share of Rightwing/Fascist/Neo-Nazis gob****es !

Yeah you're right plenty of French tourists come to Ireland, spend nothing and occupy all the seats group sharing a glass of beer in the pub, whilst everyone else has to stand and drink galore!

No need for an anti-French campaign, they're pretty good at it themselves!

Parlez Vous Francais? Nein!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Apparently, The Sun is now promoting an 'Anyone but the French' campaign and selling t-shirts with this on it. There were Irish and French people ringing in to that Liveline radio show giving out about it when I was in the car yesterday.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/liveplayer2_av.html?1_real,http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/radio1.smil,real,

Where do these arseholes individuals get off? The idea that the most rightwing anti-Irish media in the world, British tabloids, are now using the Ireland-France soccer game as a means to stoke up anti-French opinion in Ireland is surely breaching some laws on incitement to hatred.

It's all part of the same europhobic British nationalist worldview of these people; any opportunity they have to attack the EU, the Euro, the French and anything else that clashes with their cesspit world they'll do. Now, gallingly, they are portraying themselves as defenders of Ireland! With friends like these ....

My question is obvious and, in the spirit of The Sun's campaign, is really a political one. In the light of this campaign, who do you support: France or England?

I'm strongly pro-France and think the EU is the best thing to have happened to Irish society. It has modernised this society beyond belief and opened us up to influences beyond Britain. The way the media has gone on about that soccer match you might get the impression that Irish people are anti-French. I have yet to meet a single Irish person who does not have a generally positive view of the French.

I hope this has nothing to do with the film Robin Hood now does it? hmmm we all remember when we were kids and we went to see superman and all of us were in the hospital the next day with broken arms from jumping out of our windows :pac:

well I think adults are no different. ( only those who watched the new robin hood will get what I'm on about)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 NatWW

Yeah you're right plenty of French tourists come to Ireland, spend nothing and occupy all the seats group sharing a glass of beer in the pub, whilst everyone else has to stand and drink galore!

Tarring everyone with the same brush... That is soo last year you know. Thank you for your valuable input...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Irish go on about their 800 years, but the French invaded us nearly 1000 uears ago and (apart from us saving their arses a couple of times in the first half of the last century, the second time they only decided they were on our side when we started winning) we have been fighting them ever since.

Any excuse and their truck drivers are blockading Calais to prevent British imports into France and they start burning our sheep.

Of course we never miss an excuse to have a dig at the cheese eating surrender monkies.

/rant /end living up to national stereotypes ;-))

Guys,

Nat

Henry's cheating was but an insignificant glacé cherry on the larger confection of French annoyingness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I just think it's baffling that some French people take responsibility for Henry's handball... :confused:
    Wanting France to lose has absolutely nothing to do with the sun and everything to do with wanting to see some hot, sweaty justice delivered to a bunch of cheating *****
    If they end up playing one another I hope both of them lose.
    Can't abide either of them- bunch of overpaid, cheating cvnts.
    Who are these bunches of cheating c*nts you speak of?
    If the French started a similar anti-Irish campaign, how many Irish people would be keen to visit their country when they found out about anti-Irish hostility?
    Heh, there would be absolute uproar. I can't stand the constant "We Irish are sh1te" putting-down, inferiority complex comments on AH but there is definitely a major tendency here to take massive offence to even the vaguest of slights, including tongue in cheek ones...
    Gerard.C wrote: »
    Lads it's a game of soccer, take your head out of your own arse if if bothers you.
    Are you saying that about objections to the t-shirts or to people who are still raging over the handball?
    France also has more than it's fair share of Rightwing/Fascist/Neo-Nazis gob****es !
    So what? Does that mean all French people are deserving of anti French sentiment? Using that logic, Germans need a serious dose of such sentiment...
    Actually no, nobody "has" to...

I'm backing England because I enjoy so much of what the country has to offer and there are millions of Irish descent living there.

stovelid wrote: »
    Henry's cheating was but an insignificant glacé cherry on the larger confection of French annoyingness.

Like not washing, smelling of garlic and French women's fear of shaving?

Like not washing, smelling of garlic and French women's fear of shaving?

Spot on.

Not to mention stinky Gauloises, Existentialism, stripy jumpers and rolling over to the Bosch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Don't forget the gallic shrug...

stovelid wrote: »
    Spot on.

Not to mention stinky Gauloises, Existentialism, stripy jumpers and rolling over to the Bosch.

Don't forget driving on the wrong side of the road, citroen 2CV and eating small, shelled garden pests covered in garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The only difference between the Republicans up North and the French is that the French haven't bombed England. The French hate the english, but love the Irish. If you're english, the hotel is full. If you're Irish, they have a few rooms vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Guys,

Nat

Well said. I couldn't agree more. It's no coincidence that these "Oirish" anti-French campaigns are being run by rightwing British media and particular British stores in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

I'm not fond of the French.... But the only way France could redeem themselves in my eyes is if they bet England in the finals!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

Well said. I couldn't agree more. It's no coincidence that these "Oirish" anti-French campaigns are being run by rightwing British media and particular British stores in Ireland.

It's so Ironic. That’s sort of "The joke is on you" for Sun Readers. The Sun, Red Top of choice for English Football's hardcore fans are pitting the Paddies against the Frogs. And in the case of the Sun they are using these muppets to advertise their logo at the same time. I for one will be taking the total piss out of anyone I see in these shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

nipplenuts wrote: »
    On a side note, is it coincidence that the word "racist" is an English one?

Considering we speak English, not a huge surprise.

Advertisement