Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Anyone but the French" t-shirts. British tabloids stoking anti-French sentiment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Thepones wrote: »
    As Keano said "Get over it"

Oh the same Keano the walked out on his country cause things weren't being done his way.

The same Keano that came off the pitch fuming when Ireland gave away a 2-0 lead in Amsterdam in 2000.

Yeah he's a great man when it comes to "get over it".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

England/Britain (anti-EU)
    prinz wrote: »
    The only one dragging it down to a level of hositility is you.

Listen to the radio clipping first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Thepones

Uh oh,

I have started something here

*braces for Keano debate.....*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

The Sun newspaper..........

An eejits paradise.

Hundreds killed in disaster but here is a pair of tits..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Uh oh,

You had to bring his name into it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

davrho wrote: »
    The Sun newspaper..........

An eejits paradise.

Hundreds killed in disaster but here is a pair of tits..................

Are Jedward promoting something? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Those T-shirts have been on sale in Penneys for months. You can get one now there if you want OP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Dionysus wrote: »
    Listen to the radio clipping first.

Joe Duffy? A couple of callers................. yawn. Like I've said I have had this fun with French people, I slag them about getting beaten, they slag me about Ireland not even being there etc etc. Good natured, having-a-laugh, good sportsmanship banter. The idea that it would put French tourists off coming here is laughable. I think you underestimate the French knack for not giving a toss what people think of them.

This tabloid nonsense is just trying to cash in on that.

You're the one creating some sort of pro-EU anti-EU debate out of this. If it had been Russia and not France do you think the tabloids would refrain from doing the very same thing/t-shirts? I don't. That's the nature of their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was at the game in Paris.

Still in sense getting over it just because I would went to South Africa if we got there.

But this type of thing makes us look stupid and well idiots

I remember after the game when Irish players came over to appluad the Irish fans after the game a lot of French supporters stayed behind came over near our end and applauded us. But people did not see it. Was nice touch by them.

Look if Robbie Keane or whoever had done same thing he be hero in our eyes.

My problem lies with FIFA and the referee who I think had Irish player handled the ball would been disallowed and goal not given.

Time move on look forward to Euro 2012 campaign and not stay in dark ages

This tabloid nonsense is just trying to cash in on that.

You're the one creating some sort of pro-EU anti-EU debate out of this. If it had been Russia and not France do you think the tabloids would refrain from doing the very same thing/t-shirts? I don't. That's the nature of their game.

You're being naive here about the overtly political nature of these papers. As has already been mentioned, if they wanted to use your man's handball they could have had a campaign against him. Unsurprisingly, they decided to make a campaign against the entire nation of France and blend their political anti-France/EU viewpoints with it.

There is a world of political difference between the campaign they could have done and the campaign they are doing. The former would be surprising; the latter is predictably political.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Wanting France to lose has absolutely nothing to do with the sun and everything to do with wanting to see some hot, sweaty justice delivered to a bunch of cheating *****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

To hell with everybody, really. Doesn't matter what flag your parents fucked under. We, as a species, are a complete mess.

You're being naive here about the overtly political nature of these papers. As has already been mentioned, if they wanted to use your man's handball they could have had a campaign against him. Unsurprisingly, they decided to make a campaign against the entire nation of France and blend their political anti-France/EU viewpoints with it...

Just answer the question, if it had been Russia, Greece, Slovenia etc do you think these t-shirts with Anybody But Slovenia/Whoever....would not exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Uh oh,

Yes, he should never have left Liverpool:pac:

Just answer the question, if it had been Russia, Greece, Slovenia etc do you think these t-shirts with Anybody But Slovenia/Whoever....would not exist?

No, obviously they wouldn't. They would be pointless because they wouldn't be controversial. A British tabloid attacking France belongs to a uniquely British tradition, one which for some reason you appear to be in denial of.

No, obviously they wouldn't. They would be pointless because they wouldn't be controversial..

I think you are the one being naive about how tabloids operate and do what they do. They are not "attacking France" as some sort of anti-EU underhand campaign. They are riding the coat tails of Ireland's exit. They are making money. I am not denying the Brit tabloid euroscepticism but you're just reading way too much into this here tbh.

They would use bleedin' England if they had beaten us the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

I'm getting a france jersey for the world cup :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Lads it's a game of soccer, take your head out of your own arse if if bothers you.

Jesus you cant even have a laugh in Ireland anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Henry handled a ball, England plundered and pillaged us for 800 years! I know who I'll be supporting if they meet in South Africa!

Now where did I put my 'Fook Cromwell' t-shirt, I defo had it for the last World Cup.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If the French play the English in South Africa I hope the french hammer them (or better still, put them out on penalties). I hope every one else beats the french.
    Old hatreds Die Hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I am British, currently unfortunately living in Britain, and in my experience, the anti-EU and similar sentiments put out by the British media don't represent what the British people actually feel. I am not proud to be British in the slightest, I wish I was Swedish, and my aim in life is to live in Sweden permanently. My elderly British relatives encourage the younger ones to move abroad as Britain is such a dump now. Lots of the yound Brits I know aim to live abroad. Of course there are some who are into all the anti-EU stuff, but that's mostly because of the out-of-control immigration we have had for the past few years, it's generally not because we think Britain is any better than any other country. I also don't know anyone in real life who has anything against the French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

England to trounce France in the semis only to be hammered in the final. The build up and hope and all the crushing disappointment will be delicious

i vote for this option :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

kfallon wrote: »
    Henry handled a ball, England plundered and pillaged us for 800 years! I know who I'll be supporting if they meet in South Africa!

Now where did I put my 'Fook Cromwell' t-shirt, I defo had it for the last World Cup.....

try looking under your 'Sod Scillachi' t-shirt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So let me get this right OP, the Irish Sun newspaper has an anti French theme for the world cup and its all the fault of the English because they are anti EU, racist, xenophobic and stereotype all foreigners etc etc.

Deliciously ironic or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Must be time for me to get my "Murdoch is a Wanker" t-shirt out again.

He's just a jumped up Aussie.
    no sky in your house then?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

My money is on Serbia, so screw them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Football =/= Politics. Drawing such comparisons serves only to fuel the FLAMES OF HATRED!

For shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Fair enough. But the media campaign is about a lot more than a sport. And it seems few if any media outlets are actively pro-EU these days.

Starting an anti-French campaign is using this country to advance the long-standing political agenda of the rightwing British press.

Aside from that, this country receives a huge number of French tourists each year.

the British Media are run by the lizard men, better get your tin foil hat and butt plug out OP, they're coming for you:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I am hoping for a Spanish win. Couldn't care less for France or England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I am British, currently unfortunately living in Britain, and in my experience, the anti-EU and similar sentiments put out by the British media don't represent what the British people actually feel. I am not proud to be British in the slightest, I wish I was Swedish, and my aim in life is to live in Sweden permanently. My elderly British relatives encourage the younger ones to move abroad as Britain is such a dump now. Lots of the yound Brits I know aim to live abroad. Of course there are some who are into all the anti-EU stuff, but that's mostly because of the out-of-control immigration we have had for the past few years, it's generally not because we think Britain is any better than any other country. I also don't know anyone in real life who has anything against the French.

I hope it doesn't get out of control in Sweden before you get there.

Advertisement