Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English Poets 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I personally think they do it by random number generation and we're picking patterns out of nothing. ANYWAY.

My ideal selection would be Plath, Heaney, Frost and Boland/Kinsella. I like Rich but I find it difficult to structure essays on her. Kavanagh's the only guy I completely hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Munster07

Hey guys, just wondering do ye reckon I'd be okay with just Plath, Rich and Heaney? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Munster07 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering do ye reckon I'd be okay with just Plath, Rich and Heaney? Thanks! :)
    I'd put the house on it that you are.. unless we get an absolute shít of a paper! :cool: Maybe go over someone else though, just to have a backup. Personally I find Kavanagh the easiest, albeit the most boring, poet on the English course.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

I kinda only have Plath, Rich and Heaney covered because my teacher did Boland and Frost with us in 5th year but then they came up in the 2011 exam ... oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

Togepi wrote: »
    I haven't really got a clue since they can put anyone on, but I picked Rich, (fingers crossed!) Larkin, Kinsella and Heaney. I really hope Plath isn't on, I'd hate to have to answer on her 'cause all of the answers on her would be really good and mine would be terrible in comparison!

I think she is on for the 5th years. She recently died as well but it was after the papers were prepared so I think they'll hold out on Rich this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Decided that my absolute worst case scenario would be Frost, Larkin, Kinsella (haven't done them) and Heaney (find him really hard to write about and all this Jungian theory stuff) but in fairness, an all-male paper seems unlikely so...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Danny94

Do you think Id be covered with Kinsella,Larkin and Plath ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I reckon, Wordsworth, Auden and Dickinson.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Danny94 wrote: »
    Do you think Id be covered with Kinsella,Larkin and Plath ?

More than likely yeah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Plath, Rich and Boland be grand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Whatsername92

So I'm studying (In order of preference):

Frost
    Kavanagh
    Heaney
    Boland

(And Rich and Kinsella only partially)

Think I'll be ok? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35 darol15

ye reckon ill be alright with just plath ? lol She'll defo come up i reckon !!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Just found some sample essays if anyone is struggling with the poets :)

http://www.forum-publications.com/sampleanswers2012.htm

There's one on each poet there, useful for essay structure and so on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I really hope both Plath and Heaney don't come up! (Don't shoot me...) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I really hope both Plath and Heaney don't come up! (Don't shoot me...) :P

*shoots you for saying Plath*

It'd be so funny if they didn't though, I can just hear the sobbing now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

I'm only revising Larkin and Heaney (I already know Plath off by heart), as my teacher predicted those two, and he has ALWAYS been right. I'll cry from happiness if Larkin shows up!
    If I get time I might do Kavanagh too, only since I really love his poetry and I feel I can give a real personal response to him.
    ...be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cbd93

Anybody have any essays on Seamus Heaney that they could send me?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

xcorina wrote: »
    I'm only revising Larkin and Heaney (I already know Plath off by heart), as my teacher predicted those two, and he has ALWAYS been right. I'll cry from happiness if Larkin shows up!
    If I get time I might do Kavanagh too, only since I really love his poetry and I feel I can give a real personal response to him.
    ...be grand
    If Larkin and Plath comes up I dunno what I'll do.. Probably write on LArkin just because everyone's doing Plath. Both of their poetry is amazing imho and I know the both of them like the back of my hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Pity that the poetry is only worth 50 marks :L

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

silversky wrote: »
    According to This Is Poetry 2013 he's not :confused:

2013 Poets: William Shakespeare,William Wordsworth, Gerard Manley Hopkins, Elizabeth Bishop, Thomas Kinsella, Adrienne Rich, Sylvia Plath
    Derek Mahon.

http://www.schoolbooksireland.ie/This-Is-Poetry-2013-Leaving-Cert-Higher-Level-Forum-Publications/9781906565138/

Anyway if I could put my money on any poet to come up it would be Heaney.
    Oh :O I could swear my friends in 5th year studied him...I mean, I even gave them my Heaney essay :pac: Odd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

heaney PLEASE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ryanb1995

Kinsella has never come up though! shouldn't that be more of a reason for him to come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

Larkin and Plath are the ones i'm studying really well, then Heaney i know reasonably, i kinda remember boland from last year and if i have to write about Kavanagh i'll be making up stuff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

Plath and heaney are deffinately going to come up. If not then im sorted anyways. I Know 5 poets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Can we not just assume that a female poet will come up?

So to study Plath, Boland and Rich is a fairly safe bet.

Although I think that if this is the case, then Plath will without doubt come up, albeit with a difficult question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i love the way heaney and boland were in the comprehensions haha hint hint:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Sunny!! wrote: »

Were they? :eek:

I nearly quoted Plath in my essay. :p

Edit: Oh my god they were! :eek: I never read that comprehension! They can't put both on though, sure they're both Irish. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Sunny!! wrote: »

Were they? :eek:

I nearly quoted Plath in my essay. :p

Edit: Oh my god they were! :eek: I never read that comprehension! They can't put both on though, sure they're both Irish. :confused:

It'd be better thought that neither will arise as they have already on paper 1!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

A certain McMonagle says Kinsella would be your best bet if panicking now.

Advertisement