Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app ideas for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

nmesisca wrote: »
    I know it is limited, but TellyZap (Lite and Pro) are in the market.
    Lite is free and will show todays programmes. Pro will show you 1 week programming.

Hint: both Lite and Pro will see an update in the next 10 days :)

LOL...love the comments for that app. People expect to be able to watch shows on it when it says it is a LISTINGS app. There are some morons out there in fairness :D

Will grab this later and see if it is any good. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Ludo wrote: »
    LOL...love the comments for that app. People expect to be able to watch shows on it when it says it is a LISTINGS app. There are some morons out there in fairness :D

Will grab this later and see if it is any good. Thanks for the tip.

heheh yeah, considering it was my first app, I was pretty happy with the result. Have to say theres almost 1000 installations around right now, which means it may not be pretty, but still looks like its useful.

watch out for the update, Lite will get (many) more functions (as it is "end of life" so to speak..).

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

draffodx wrote: »

An official app from the Lotto is on the way including scanning for iPhone and Android anyway

That's great, I'm delighted they remembered Android. It was difficult to scan the barcode though (my ticket was a 5 year old one with a pink anti-copying background, so maybe they have changed this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

neacy69 wrote: »
    A cinema app with movie times and directions to the nearest cinema?

Working on this... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Just wrote a Hello World App, so thats my first step into Android Development. lets see what happens from here, hoping to learn from nmesisca along the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Oh yeah, & needless to say an app that cracks WEP keys would be great!

squire23 wrote: »

You mean Eircom WEP Cracker, already out and used by myself multiple times

apope8 wrote: »
    I cant find this. Is it a paid app?

Not a paid app, since i upgraded to 2.1 it isnt in the market which is wierd

Might be 1.5 only and needs upgrading or something

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-irlcinemaguide-qjEx.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

You mean Eircom WEP Cracker, already out and used by myself multiple times
    Yeah but you need the SSID or something - no idea what that is or how to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

SSID is the broadcast name of the network.
    EG: Eircom 1234 5678

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

squire23 wrote: »
    And also illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

koolkid wrote: »
    And also illegal.
    Calculators aren't illegal, the app itself is not illegal. Using the app for illegal purposes is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

From doing the Dublinbikes2go.com site, it's driven home the importance of cross platform compatibility. Most of the smartphone users are iPhone (50% or so) but there are quite a few Androids out there now.
    The best way to stay cross platform is with webapp, using HTML5 etc. Apple have great support for webapps by way of META tag extensions in mobile Safari. Using JS, HTML5 app cache, webworkers, web DB, geolocation, JSON and AJAX, it's really simple to make a good web app, some of these features are used on this page (iPhone, PalmPre, Chrome and Android. Look down the bottom for the install running. A full HTML5 version of DublinBikes2Go! is currently being worked on.)

However WebApps' don't get the same exposure as native apps. If someone wants an App they go to the Market. Hence there are some really good cross platform developlment tools (PhoneGap & Appcelerator). Hopefully myself and @generalmiaow will get to play with these over the summer. From what I can tell, they are just glorified iFrames as they use HTML and JS, just like a WebApp would, only bundled up as a native app.

A Bus Eireann app would be great, it should be possible to parse the site, just might take some time. If only they had Google Maps like Dublin Bus have it'd be easier. It too would look great in Layar, just a pity it their realtime service only seems to show the timetables for major town, not all the rural stops (they appear blank).

I know there is already a Dart Station app for both platforms, but if anyone is interested in finding the latest Dart info for the nearest station try this.

That Lotto app is a great idea, once the developers get access to the database it should be simple, of and a library that supports their barcode standard.
    A ticketmaster app would be cool too, one where the ticket is delivered as a QR code. Has anyone had success with using QR codes for promotion? The only ones I had people click on were some flyers I posted at the Dart station outside Google's HQ. I was assuming that Googlers had the smarts to know what they were.

I know there is the IRLCinemaGuide (which isn't showing up in my market either - 2.1) but would people be on for purchasing tickets in app. Having the app securely store their creditcard credentials (ALa KDE Wallet)?

+1 for the remaining minutes/texts/data widget. Great idea!
    I run goldenplec.com which is gig news and competitions and festival news etc and occasional reviews.

I want to do an android app, i just havnt got a a chance to try sit down and even try a hello world app with android willing to work with anyone who wants to create such an app for gig news
    Working on this... :-)
    If you guys want to integrate your apps with Layar let me know. I can help out as I've my own framework for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Calculators aren't illegal, the app itself is not illegal. Using the app for illegal purposes is illegal.

Kinda splitting straws here arn't we?:D
    An app like that would never be allowed on Market place or App Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

Perhaps some sort of death clock!

A great app idea for Meteor customers (Most Android phones in Ireland are meteor as far as I know) would be a way to parse you're remaining minutes/texts/data.

Now I now Meteor do not offer a USSD code for any of that but they do allow you to check your minutes, texts or data by sending either "balance minutes" "balance texts" or "balance data" to 50104. I'm thinking it would be possible to create an app that hooks on to the stock messaging application and then sends all three balance requests every thirty minutes. Then this application (Or widget) could parse out the required value (I.e. Minutes available, Texts available or MB left), delete the messsage and send the data to the application.

Or if there was a way to fetch data from mymeteor.ie and the equivalent for all Irish networks. That would be one very useful app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

The OCR idea is good ( although not in the clients it was suggested for), but most of the other suggestions tend to be demanding proprietary information.

I actually work - that is I get paid - in this field, mostly for iPhone dev contracting and I come up with my own stuff.

I dont want to give too much away but here is a hint about what you can do:

Some information is free.
    Some information is proprietary.

Most people are asking for stuff which you cant do without the permission of the content owners, but there is enough free stuff out there, which - remarkably - very few people think of. But think FOI acts.

As an aside I see Android apps getting about 5% sales of equivalent iPhone apps, possibly because so much stuff can get sideloaded, or the people who buy are more technical, or are "free as in beer" fanatics.

So as an advertisement of your wares, cool, as a money maker I dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

koolkid wrote: »
    Kinda splitting straws here arn't we?:D
    An app like that would never be allowed on Market place or App Store.

Its in the Market Place and App Store, the app is not illegal, just like they can't get this website shut down.

<mod snip> It's best if Boards.ie doesn't publish this information. Not sure on the legality of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I have actually been in contact with Meteor regarding down a remaining texts, data, minutes widgets. Contacted them through their customer forum, and then some communications guy from meteor contacted me.

He said they have web services in the background that are used to obtain that data but they are not exposed to the wider internet. They are currently looking at exposing them, and others to third party developers.

I responded with more questions but never heard back from them. Nearly a month ago at this stage, guess they didn't like me. :(

As for the texts thing I thought of that idea but haven't explored it. I know it's possible to delete messages, send messages from an app. Not sure if it is possible to stop the notifications, which would be annoying if the app was updating on a schedule.

A great app idea for Meteor customers (Most Android phones in Ireland are meteor as far as I know) would be a way to parse you're remaining minutes/texts/data.

Now I now Meteor do not offer a USSD code for any of that but they do allow you to check your minutes, texts or data by sending either "balance minutes" "balance texts" or "balance data" to 50104. I'm thinking it would be possible to create an app that hooks on to the stock messaging application and then sends all three balance requests every thirty minutes. Then this application (Or widget) could parse out the required value (I.e. Minutes available, Texts available or MB left), delete the messsage and send the data to the application.

Or if there was a way to fetch data from mymeteor.ie and the equivalent for all Irish networks. That would be one very useful app.

Having it poll for USSD's every few mins seems quite intensive. I know the guy behind Cabbage texter has a way (and open source code) to use the webtexts on all of the phone sites, I'm sure with some modification it would be possible to pull the remaining services data.

• Advertisement

paddy2k wrote: »
    Having it poll for USSD's every few mins seems quite intensive. I know the guy behind Cabbage texter has a way (and open source code) to use the webtexts on all of the phone sites, I'm sure with some modification it would be possible to pull the remaining services data.
    I don't think any networks in Ireland allow you to check your texts/minutes/data balance using a USSD code anyway!

I think it's fair enough to explore scraped information for free apps, within reason.

Even Cabbage is freely discussed on Talk2O2 - where they have the most to lose. As hobbyists, discussing things with content providers is sometimes out of the question because they can't extend guarantees to third party developers - but thankfully, working in this grey area is tolerated and helps everyone (including content providers).

There are no paid apps in Ireland available yet, (we can't even have a checkout seller's account) so that whole issue of scraping content and selling the scraper is yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I know the guy behind Cabbage texter has a way (and open source code) to use the webtexts on all of the phone sites, I'm sure with some modification it would be possible to pull the remaining services data.

Should be relatively straight forward yeah but I have neither the time nor the inclination to do it at the moment :D

Anyone who wants a leg up is welcome to the source code and help with the scripts that you can get here: http://www.cabbagetexter.com/source.php

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

What about a Taxi Rank locator?

If you guys want to integrate your apps with Layar let me know. I can help out as I've my own framework for it.

Im not sure what you mean by integrate apps with layar, might need an extra bit of explanation.

Nmesica has been onto me and is looking into the possibility of polling wordpress's XML-RPC to allow downloading of the articles by category and simple viewing of pages and commenting through registering/login which all should be possible through the XML-RPC of wordpress. Im currently trying to figure out the Android SDK's etc and try remember Java (its been 4 years)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Should be relatively straight forward yeah but I have neither the time nor the inclination to do it at the moment :D
    I know that feeling! :-)
    Im not sure what you mean by integrate apps with layar, might need an extra bit of explanation.
    If you think it might be useful to create a layar out of exsisting content on your site. It'd almost be like creating a mini app as layar has it's own directory/store.
    I have experience making a few layars if you wanted any help or have questions.

mooneyd wrote: »
    What about a Taxi Rank locator?

This is one of the few things that's relevant countrywide, not on google maps and is a hassle to look up on the web that's useful, and in particular useful with GPS. However I'm finding trouble getting a complete list of locations. This is one of this situations hinted to above that our entitlement to information from local authorities comes in.

I know that feeling! :-)

If you think it might be useful to create a layar out of exsisting content on your site. It'd almost be like creating a mini app as layar has it's own directory/store.
    I have experience making a few layars if you wanted any help or have questions.

Oh Layar the augmented reality app??? if so ive not really used that app, not sure how you can link wordpress into what it does :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭anton

Interesting thread guys. I'll look into scraping data from mymeteor in the app, that would be something I could use myself.

• Advertisement

Oh Layar the augmented reality app??? if so ive not really used that app, not sure how you can link wordpress into what it does :eek:
    Yup layar the augmented reality browser.
    Maybe if each of the gig venues has co-ords, it could be used to create a map/Layar to finds where and what gigs are on near users.

Advertisement