Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Gidon wrote: »
    I personally do not purchase any form of cheese from Aldi or Lidl most of the time, unless its from a good, reputable brand that I recognize. For other basic stuff like bread or other grocery shopping, you can get some good deals.

Have you tried their cheese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

blueser wrote: »
    The what?

I think he means cues. When the snooker range was on offer it was dangerous. People lost eyes that day and many will never return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 Gidon

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Have you tried their cheese?

Yes I have, and while some of it is quite all right, I tried some form of cheddar cheese that was put into some plastic packaging of sorts. Almost like a wrapper. Most disgusting cheese I ever tasted, be darn sure of that :pac: But like I said, some of their other stuff is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

kraggy wrote: »
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Must say it kills me when people mispronounce Lidl.

Itz Lee-dil. Not Lie-del or lid-l.

Youre being a lidl bit pedantic there now in fairness.

Not really. You pronounce it correctly, or you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

kraggy wrote: »
    Must say it kills me when people mispronounce Lidl.

Itz Lee-dil. Not Lie-del or lid-l.

Youre being a lidl bit pedantic there now in fairness.

Not really. You pronounce it correctly, or you don't.

Oh crap. Just got that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

The what?
    Oh sorry about that, a most unconcentrated typo. I did mean of course queues. Luckily, I haven't encountered late night snooker cues there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I tried the Lidl soup once... was horrid and watery and zilch flavour. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I wouldn't buy Johnny bags in Lidl or Aldi. I've seen them in my local Lidl, and id say its the same shelf full of them since they opened about 6 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I think he means cues. When the snooker range was on offer it was dangerous. People lost eyes that day and many will never return.

chalk it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Just a little fact to throw into the mix here: Karl Albrecht - Owner of Aldi is the richest man in Germany with an estimated net worth of $25.4 billion.

I personally love the bread in Lidl and the chocolate is better than cadburys. Red sauce and mayonaise isn't great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I generally do my weekly shop in Lidl, I can't think of anything I buy in other supermarkets that I wouldn't buy in Lidl or Aldi.

I do think Aldi is nicer and find they have a wider range than Lidl.

The only thing I don't buy is chicken, but I won't buy chicken from any supermarket, go to a butcher for that.

There are certain things that I stock up on in Tesco because Lidl never have them, e.g. Sundried tomatoes, cannelini beans, wholemeal spaghetti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Gidon wrote: »
    Yes I have, and while some of it is quite all right, I tried some form of cheddar cheese that was put into some plastic packaging of sorts. Almost like a wrapper. Most disgusting cheese I ever tasted, be darn sure of that :pac: But like I said, some of their other stuff is fine.

Really? I actually really like the cheese from Lidl (don't think I have tried Aldi). Got a good gorgonzola there at the weekend and a cheddar (cant remember the name) but was really strong and yum (especially with their 7 euro chianti lol) Cheapsville I know :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If lidl stocked a few things like flour, frozen pastry, suet, I'd hardly need to go anywhere else. They need to beef up the home baking/cooking aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Ghandee wrote: »
    I find a lot of Aldi's (in particular) food to be superior to some of the other supermarkets stuff.

Maris piper chips at 1.99 thrash mccains etc at double the price.
    Aldi steaks are melt in the mouth
    Aldi cooking sauces (curry in particular) puts pataks, uncle Ben to Shame.
    The sweets, cakes, biscuits are lovely.
    fruit and veg seems to be tastier/fresher than Tesco.
    Rhinebacher beer, six pack of 500ml bottles, 4.9% beats Budweiser, miller etc HANDS DOWN! (6.29€)

I draw the line at ketchup and brown sauce from Aldi though, its rank.

Can't understand people saying Ketchup. I find their Bramwells range much nicer than the mainstream brands. You can tell it's made with real tomatoes and not packed full of flavourings and crap!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I have a kind of hierarchy when it comes to shopping. I move down the list if what I want isn't available at my first choice of shop, or I can't get to them for whatever reason:

1. Local greengrocers, fishmongers, butchers
    2. Lidl or Aldi
    3. Supervalu
    4. Tescos

We don't buy a lot of processed food, so apart from the Inferno pizzas from Lidl (which really ARE hot, great if you like spicy food), I can't comment - but their chicken is fine (I usually buy the free range whole birds), their mince, steaks, pork fillets - all good. Packs of smoked streaky bacon have become a favourite, extra mature cheddar is lovely. I won't buy supermarket fish at all, since our fishmonger (Clarke's in Westport) is brilliant, and I'm spoilt :). I've had no problem at all with Lidl vegetables or milk - and had a nice little chat with the young Irish guy on the till last time I was there - no complaints about the staff, either. Lidl loo paper is fine, their ziplock freezer bags are good, and our dogs love their dog treat biscuits (Orlando, I think is the brand?). If you drink instant coffee, Lidl do big jars of Nescafé Gold Blend (we keep it as a standby for when I can't be arsed to use the espresso machine, or we've run out of Carte Noir Instance) much more cheaply than anywhere else.

Some things I always buy the branded version - Colman's mustard, mustard powder, Heinz beans and ketchup, Knorr stock cubes and stockpots - if I can find them in Lidl (rarely), I buy them there, if not, we go to Supervalu after the Lidl shop - and invariably buy more stuff just 'cos we see it on the shelves!

I can't say there's anything I wouldn't buy in Lidl or Aldi on principle. If you'd asked me, I'd have said I'd never buy perfume from Lidl, but at €3.99 for a bottle, I thought it was worth trying their 'Suddenly' - and it's rather nice - definitely OK as an everyday scent. Shopping in either Lidl or Aldi with my husband (which is about 90% of the times I go there) is a nicer experience too, since he can browse the central aisles with their tools etc. whilst I do the foodie bits - keeps him quiet and stops him sighing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Big Knox wrote: »
    Ghandee wrote: »
    I find a lot of Aldi's (in particular) food to be superior to some of the other supermarkets stuff.

Maris piper chips at 1.99 thrash mccains etc at double the price.
    Aldi steaks are melt in the mouth
    Aldi cooking sauces (curry in particular) puts pataks, uncle Ben to Shame.
    The sweets, cakes, biscuits are lovely.
    fruit and veg seems to be tastier/fresher than Tesco.
    Rhinebacher beer, six pack of 500ml bottles, 4.9% beats Budweiser, miller etc HANDS DOWN! (6.29€)

I draw the line at ketchup and brown sauce from Aldi though, its rank.

Can't understand people saying Ketchup. I find their Bramwells range much nicer than the mainstream brands. You can tell it's made with real tomatoes and not packed full of flavourings and crap!! :confused:

People get really irrational when it comes to ketchup and other sauces.

I never ate ketchup until recently so they all rate like vinegar to me, couldn't tell you the difference between two brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I bought a snorkling kit, I have no idea why. Like there are not many coral reefs around our coast.

I also bought walking poles that where really ski poles.

I don't go in to those shops anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Despite the lack of reefs, I think our coast is great for a bit of snorkeling. Clear water and alot of life. I'd just wear a wetsuit...maybe Lidl will do an offer on them at some stage, now that would be practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Flavoured Condoms

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

mike65 wrote: »
    If lidl stocked a few things like flour, frozen pastry, suet, I'd hardly need to go anywhere else. They need to beef up the home baking/cooking aspect.
    Lidl do sell flour :confused:

Aldi do ready roll pastry, their baking section is a bit letter than lidl's in fairness but lidl do all the basics: Flour, caster sugar, marge, icing sugar, wholemeal flour, mixed fruit etc.

Never seen suet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

mike65 wrote: »

Lidl stock flour.
    I'm not sure about Lidl, but Aldi has fresh pastry in the cold shelves, which you can freeze at home.
    No idea about suet... I bake a lot, but have never come across this? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Shenshen wrote: »
    Lidl stock flour.
    I'm not sure about Lidl, but Aldi has fresh pastry in the cold shelves, which you can freeze at home.
    No idea about suet... I bake a lot, but have never come across this? :confused:

LIDL do flour and fresh pastry.
    Good quality cooking ingredients have a short shelf life so the prices would be too high as a permanent line.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

I've had some foreign variant of a snickers bar from Lidl in a friends house which were lovely.

Snickers bars are "foreign."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

You know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

Whats wrong with the fresh bread section in Lidl? its pretty good.
    you obviously have never tasted bread made fresh in France, NOW they know how to make bread :pac::pac::pac: yum yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I can't find wraps in my local Aldi, where are the wraps??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Ush1 wrote: »

Fajita wraps? Check with in the section with the Asian/Italian/Indian/Mexican food. That's where they are in our Aldi, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Hmmm, the chicken products are quite cheap and I read further back someone wouldn't buy them. How are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Tym wrote: »
    Hmmm, the chicken products are quite cheap and I read further back someone wouldn't buy them. How are they?

Better off trying them yourself. The amount of people here that won't try something just because it comes from Aldi/Lidl is unreal. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

In the bread section, usually bottom shelf, they do plain or garlic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Condoms and fruit. Very picky with where my fruit comes from, and the first one... I've never bought in a Lidl/Aldi. They look a lot more dodgier in €2 stores though... xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Aldi or Lidl is the only place I would buy fruit and veg :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Condoms and fruit. Very picky with where my fruit comes from, and the first one... I've never bought in a Lidl/Aldi. They look a lot more dodgier in €2 stores though... xD

I hope you don't buy your fruit in Dunnes or Tesco if you're picky - the husband works for the trucking company that delivers to them and I don't know what happens and I don't want to know - all I know is that he won't let me buy anything that doesn't come in a sealed packet from these places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

So you won't be trying the strawberry flavoured condoms in Lidl then.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

You know what I mean.
    Snickers mars milky way m&m and many other master foods brands are made all over Europe: in much the same way that aldi and lidl equivalents are. None of them are made in ireland. Ergo they are all equally "foreign" as are all Jacobs biscuits and gateaux cakes.

I consider anywhere outside this country as "foreign" if you know what I mean. Not that there is anything wrong with foreign supermarkets like lidl tesco and aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would you believe my local Aldi cant get them into stock for the last month or so!
    Everytime i go in now, they just say we orered them but they dont come.

Wouldnt mind but there lovely and big enough that when you fill them for a lunch or so, your actually filled up afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Aldi do these gourmet jelly beans for 79c a bag, they are so good.. Lidl do them too but theyre not as nice.

We go to aldi first during our shop.. Do as much as we can there, then off to lidl for their ciabatta bread mix, pecan nuts and a few other bits u cant get in aldi..

Tesco/Dunnes for the only two things we really need that we can't get in lidl/Aldi: condensed milk and coconut milk.

I get my rice, soy sauce, etc in an Asian supermarket. But at €10 for 5 kilos I don't have to do it very often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I used to buy chicken fillets from Aldi but have stopped now. The quality isn't too bad, there's a bit more fat and gristle than I'd like, but I've found a really good quality butcher near me that I buy all my meat from now. As for the cooked chicken for sandwiches, I've no problem buying that in Aldi, it's quite nice. Not much cheaper than anywhere else though.
    Aldi do these gourmet jelly beans for 79c a bag, they are so good.. Lidl do them too but theyre not as nice.

We go to aldi first during our shop.. Do as much as we can there, then off to lidl for their ciabatta bread mix, pecan nuts and a few other bits u cant get in aldi..

Tesco/Dunnes for the only two things we really need that we can't get in lidl/Aldi: condensed milk and coconut milk.

I get my rice, soy sauce, etc in an Asian supermarket. But at €10 for 5 kilos I don't have to do it very often.

Aldi do coconut milk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Stuff I generally don't buy in Aldi/Lidl:
    • baked beans/spaghetti (although I got some Batchelors spaghetti rings from Tesco last week and they were surprisingly oniony and horrible).
    • own brand fizzy drinks.
    • "Snack-rite" crisps - just doesn't do it for me.
    • clothes. I did buy a "rain poncho" in Lidl once, but it was more like a tent suitable for a giraffe.
    • instant noodles - Tesco do a great job on these and they're dirt cheap, and not full of E-numbered additives either, which was initially a surprise.

Stuff I prefer to buy in Aldi/Lidl:
    • The tomato/vegetable juice cartons Lidl used to do, although I haven't seen them for a while. Nice, though.
    • fresh fruit and veg which tends to be good quality and a bit cheaper than Tesco (and waaaay cheaper than my local Supervalu). The {blue|rasp|straw}berries in Lidl are particularly excellent, although I haven't been there for a couple of months.
    • fresh meat - Lidl especially has an impressive range of stuff, with bratwurst and other interesting things you don't see so much of elsewhere. Aldi used to sell the best lazy man's microwaveable chicken burgers I've ever had, but last time I checked they were gone.
    • Decent/cheap range of yoghurts, including those weird "breakfast drinks". Aldi also does some kind of milky iced coffee/latte bottles which I used to pick up when passing their Parnell St branch.
    • Strange random things like a USB/PSX game controller, push lawnmower, ultrasonic jewellery cleaner etc (that last one was out of stock when I went, though).
    • The utterly superb multipacks of small shandy bottles in Aldi. Don't know if they still do them, but they taste nice and at only 0.8%, I can drink them alone while watching TV and not feel like I'm an alcoholic... :P

Dunno why people are making scared cross gestures and worrying about things like fruit (tried it?) and condoms. They seem okay, although I'd recommend the fruity ones (err.. condoms that is, not fruity fruit). Why would you trust the "big name" stuff any more than what you can pick up cheaper in shops like Lidl/Aldi? They still have to go through various quality control standards like everyone else. Not quite sure how condoms are quality controlled, but... yeah. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I used to buy chicken fillets from Aldi but have stopped now. The quality isn't too bad, there's a bit more fat and gristle than I'd like, but I've found a really good quality butcher near me that I buy all my meat from now. As for the cooked chicken for sandwiches, I've no problem buying that in Aldi, it's quite nice. Not much cheaper than anywhere else though.

Aldi do coconut milk!

Where?! I can never find it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Aldi do coconut milk!
    So do Lidl now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Where?! I can never find it!

In my Aldi it's generally with the rice and stir-fry sauces. This is what it looks like. All their Asian range is pretty much a copy of the Blue Dragon brand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Alun wrote: »
    So do Lidl now.

But why do I never find it in Cork Street? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lars1916 wrote: »
    But why do I never find it in Cork Street? :confused:
    No idea :) In my local one it's on the same bit of shelf that has the mustard, pickles, tomato puree, cook in sauces and such like, roughly in the middle of the shop close to the tills. Seeing as most Lidl's have a more or less identical layout, that should help. It's in a black tin with blue and white writing, the make is 'Kingfisher'.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

What I noticed is aldi don't seem to be doing own brand toothpaste.

Aldi or lidl don't seem to do mushroom cuppa soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jaysus, Lidl's Jaffa Cakes are like cardboard with hard marmalade on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

The bag for life, who wants a Lidl or Aldi bag for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I can't buy their version of Pringles. They are as tasteless as communion wafers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Bought Aldi peas once. Pain and anguish in a tin. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Zombies, I refuse to buy zombies from them.. ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement