Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

What a little cutie! We have 2nd round of vaccines on Tuesday and I'm dreading it! Baby Merkin had a really off few days about a week ago but it coincided with a leap so we cuddled through it. Has been in great form, permanently beaming until today again when his little gums are driving him mad the poor little thing. Not effecting his (gargantuan!) appetite but he's in a bit of discomfort which is hard for him and us. Just gave some of this for the first time this evening and he responded very well to it thankfully so I'm delighted, the poor little chap had most of his chubby little fist in his mouth earlier :(

http://www.boots.com/en/Ashton-Parsons-Infants-Powders-20-Sachets_1674/

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Merkin wrote: »
    What a little cutie! We have 2nd round of vaccines on Tuesday and I'm dreading it! Baby Merkin had a really off few days about a week ago but it coincided with a leap so we cuddled through it. Has been in great form, permanently beaming until today again when his little gums are driving him mad the poor little thing. Not effecting his (gargantuan!) appetite but he's in a bit of discomfort which is hard for him and us. Just gave some of this for the first time this evening and he responded very well to it thankfully so I'm delighted, the poor little chap had most of his chubby little

Did you find it helped merkin? I have been using teetha with my little one bot sure if it's helping but hard to tell really. She is the same fist in her mouth and chewing fingers I have traditional teething rings and this other teething thing which is almost like a mouth guard fits around the gums she loves it for a good chew! She is also loosing her hair more and more keep finding loads on her sheet....ah it will grow back ha! Jautis what a gorgeous little boy you have :-).

Im loving all the "chat" from my little one so cute! Though she has been having more trouble with her acid reflux refusing bottles halfway through even though she really wants it sucks for a min the crys....I need to get her dose readjusted because she was prescribed the minimum for her weight originally but that was ages ago!

How is everyone finding mother hood? For those who have had their second or more is it really different every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

We have Sophie the Giraffe which he likes to munch on! :) Have also been using the Teetha gel which he definitely likes as he smiles every time I rub it in. Am friendly with the pharmacist here though and she has twins and another little one (all under three!!!) and she recommended the powder because it has a little bit of an anaesthetic effect on the area you rub it on and lo and behold put it on today and it calmed him very quickly and he was all smiles again so definitely worth getting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

missjuly wrote: »
    <...>

How is everyone finding mother hood? <...>
    F$%^k it. Never ever again I'd agree to go through this. Time machine is on my Xmas wishlist. He's cute and all, and I love him to bits and I'd be devastated if something happened to him but I wouldn't want to do it again, ever!!!

I suspect Ruben is teething too. I can't see any difference in his gums but all other signs are here... And he's been such a good baby for last week or so. not anymore :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Doing great here teething like mad can see the 1st one just sitting under the gum waiting to pop through ;-) we are settled into a great routine here now and sleeping all night due 2nd injections next week must make an appointment for it x

I'm loving motherhood even more now with the 2of them they are so much fun I have decided. I'm only going back to work part time couldn't bear to be away from them 5days a week x

Hope everyone is well,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Abi and the Bears are doing well enough. Abi herself is teething strongly for the past two weeks, but no sign of the actual tooth yet. Very much the worst parent in the world as health nurse has told me that Abigail is overweight, drinking too much milk to be safe or healthy and to boot, the large amount of tummy time I am doing is not enough as Abi will not lift her head very far off the floor (even though she has FULL control when I have her sitting on my knee).

Unfortunately the relactation hasn't worked beyond a few drops and I started to get feverish and dizzy so had to stop. Apparently, according to the health nurses (I am now dealing with three of the same opinion), I didn't try hard enough, but will know for next time.

Now onto real life - which is perfect. Abi is a beautiful soul, so pleasant - always smiling or silent-laughing (the giggle hasn't quite come out yet). She loves people, old and new. Adores when people sing to her! She still sleeps through the night despite the teething and is easy to entertain while I get housework done, stopping occasionally to ask her for the craic :p
    We adopted a puppy last night - big step for us since Shadow died. Two dogs in the house with a baby isn't nearly as hard as I had imagined, I love a big and bustly home! :D
    Lastly, I got my results for my repeat exam from college - I'll be receiving my degree a week from tomorrow :cool:

abi.jpg

Wow shasha sounds like your doing great welt done on your degree x from lookin at that pic your beautiful baby is not overweight x what does she weight now?

Wow shasha sounds like your doing great welt done on your degree x from lookin at that pic your beautiful baby is not overweight x what does she weight now?

16lbs8oz at 13 weeks (3 months) old tomorrow :D
    I know she isn't really - she is a great grubber, and will naturally weigh more, especially since she wasn't a small baby from birth! She's also quite long!

Don't pay too much attention to her your little lady is good and healthy

God my little lady is only 12lb 12oz at 15weeks x steady weight gain she was smaller at birth though x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Has anyone had the 3 month PHN check yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Sean has had his. Screamed the health centre down. Said he was only 5.6kgs, but he had wriggled off the scales. Rechecked later and he was 6.1kgs. His was early, as we are flying out to NZ on wednesday (gulp.....).

Rua1 wrote: »
    Sean has had his. Screamed the health centre down. Said he was only 5.6kgs, but he had wriggled off the scales. Rechecked later and he was 6.1kgs. His was early, as we are flying out to NZ on wednesday (gulp.....).

What sort of thing did they check?

was a fairly quick appointment, Sean was screaming the health centre down. Just checked neck strength (no tummy time demonstration), measured and weighed, asked if he could grasp a rattle (he can). Then was given information on weaning him.....is 14 weeks tomorrow, I don't think I'll start for at least another 6 weeks.

On another note, it's scary how quickly he is developing. He said 'gaga' a good few times yesterday, and was turning the pages in the toy catalogue when looking at what santa might bring.

was a fairly quick appointment, Sean was screaming the health centre down. Just checked neck strength (no tummy time demonstration), measured and weighed, asked if he could grasp a rattle (he can). Then was given information on weaning him.....is 14 weeks tomorrow, I don't think I'll start for at least another 6 weeks.

On another note, it's scary how quickly he is developing. He said 'gaga' a good few times yesterday, and was turning the pages in the toy catalogue when looking at what santa might bring.

How did they check neck strength? That's what I'm worried about. Not doing enough tummy time here. I read that by 3-4 months they should be using their arms to push the head and shoulders up. My lady has a very strong neck but no way can see push up on her arms!

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    How did they check neck strength? That's what I'm worried about. Not doing enough tummy time here. I read that by 3-4 months they should be using their arms to push the head and shoulders up. My lady has a very strong neck but no way can see push up on her arms!

Neither can Abigail, and if you lie her against your knees while lying down, she sits the whole way up herself (and subsequently can't stop so goes the whole way forward till you catch her. She doesn't need any head support now, can hold it for a good ten minutes when walking around in someone's arms and can keep it steady when turning around to have a look at something. But she still lies face to the mat during tummy time :o I imagine nearly 17lbs of weight is very hard to manouver on the floor with no help!

Do we make the 3month apps ourselves or do they get sent out?

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Neither can Abigail, and if you lie her against your knees while lying down, she sits the whole way up herself (and subsequently can't stop so goes the whole way forward till you catch her. She doesn't need any head support now, can hold it for a good ten minutes when walking around in someone's arms and can keep it steady when turning around to have a look at something. But she still lies face to the mat during tummy time :o I imagine nearly 17lbs of weight is very hard to manouver on the floor with no help!

Do we make the 3month apps ourselves or do they get sent out?

Here they get sent out. I rang PHN to make sure we weren't forgotten and she said the next check is ages away (9 months?) so she leaves it to nearer the 4 month mark so as to shorten the gap between visits.

from memory (Sean was screaming..) she just laid him on his back, and pulled him up by his arms. We got sent the appointment in the mail, had it well over 2 weeks ago now, we got ours early.

from memory (Sean was screaming..) she just laid him on his back, and pulled him up by his arms. We got sent the appointment in the mail, had it well over 2 weeks ago now, we got ours early.

Abi is 14 weeks as of yesterday, and we've gotten nothing yet!

Ruby was 16weeks before she got it, checked her neck her hips asked loads of questions about what I think she can do or not do and was weighed that's about it gave me info on feeding etc and said good luck and thanks will see you at 9months

Ruben had his 3 months check up last Wednesday, he's 3mnths tomorrow. PHN rang me beforehand to agree on suitable time.
    She measured his height and popped him on the scales. Checked his hips and soft spot on the top of head (don't know why). Checked his eyes with flashlight. Held him by his armpits/sides facing down to see if he's extending his back and attempting to raise his head (he is). Pulled him up by his arms from lying position to see if he's trying to pull himself up (he is). Practiced some tummy time - which he's an ace at. That's about it. And his height is 64.5cm that's +9.5cm from birth (90th percentile) and weight 6.680kg, +3.270kg (75th percentille). Basically he's tall, normal build fella and hitting all developmental milestones.
    And he LOL'ed last Monday :D I mean he laughed out load a lot not just a giggle and looked very surprised with himself afterwards, he was so funny, I laughed too :D

• Advertisement

My Little lady rolled over the other day for the 1st time growing up so fast x

Has anyone else found their second period to be way way worse than the first??
    I had my first at 11 weeks, maybe a tad heavier than previous but still relatively light and short. Now, exactly 28 days later I have another period but the floodgates have opened :( It's so so heavy.

I have a question too: how do bath your little ones? and how often? we have this bath tub from mothercare but it's getting a bit small now. he kicks a lot in the water and floods the bathroom. our main bath is big corner yoke and now with water charges looming we need some clever bathing solution :rolleyes:
    dw_badge_template2_new?&$badge2size=1%2C0&$hidetext2=1&$badge1size=1%2C0&$product=MothercareASE%2Flu1086_2&$dw_clothingbrowse_mc$

no period here because I'm bf ft.

j@utis wrote: »
    I have a question too: how do bath your little ones? and how often? we have this bath tub from mothercare but it's getting a bit small now. he kicks a lot in the water and floods the bathroom. our main bath is big corner yoke and now with water charges looming we need some clever bathing solution :rolleyes:
    dw_badge_template2_new?&$badge2size=1%2C0&$hidetext2=1&$badge1size=1%2C0&$product=MothercareASE%2Flu1086_2&$dw_clothingbrowse_mc$

no period here because I'm bf ft.

We bath twice a week, though GP believes once a week is plenty. I think bathing too often definitely causes problems by excessively drying out the skin in some people, but only you will know how sensitive baby's skin is.

I use the the Anglecare bath support. I find it great as you don't need to hold baby (I've a bad back). It will do until baby is a lot bigger. I just put a couple of inches of water in the bath and then use a cup to keep water pouring over baby so she doesn't get cold. Other hand washes with sponge. It's great having two hands free!

http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-angelcare-soft-touch-bath-support/2322m2600/type-i/

I'm trying to give him a bath every 2nd day. once a week doesn't sound enough to me. he's getting chubby now and some skin folds are quite deep. Dirt accumulates in them and under the armpits. I wash his bottom in the sink on the days he's not having a bath.

that Angelcare bath support looks great but I'm afraid our babies soon gonna be trying to sit-up and it won't be safe anymore. I'm wondering if anyone here tried TummyTub? I've bought it but I feel a bit nervous about it because he's not holding his head up 100% yet.
    tummy_tub_green_baby.jpg

and a little OT: Ruben havin fun :D - I replaced boring toys on the mobile with a cuddly whale :D

j@utis wrote: »
    and a little OT: Ruben havin fun :D - I replaced boring toys on the mobile with a cuddly whale :D

That is a great laugh!! Amazing!!

How is everyone enjoying maternity leave?? Hopefully we are all enjoying our babies - I mean being at home, not working etc.......

I'm enjoying baby and she is just great company but I'm starting to find it quite monotonous and tiring being at home and looking after her full - time. Last night I had serious Sunday night blues at the thought of my husband going to work this morning and leaving me here!

I had thought that the decision whether to take some unpaid maternity leave would be down to financial considerations BUT now I'm just not sure if I will even want to take it ðŸ˜:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    How is everyone enjoying maternity leave?? Hopefully we are all enjoying our babies - I mean being at home, not working etc.......

I'm enjoying baby and she is just great company but I'm starting to find it quite monotonous and tiring being at home and looking after her full - time. Last night I had serious Sunday night blues at the thought of my husband going to work this morning and leaving me here!

I had thought that the decision whether to take some unpaid maternity leave would be down to financial considerations BUT now I'm just not sure if I will even want to take it ðŸ˜:(

I often thought, while on maternity leave, that wouldn't it be lovely if you could go back to work within a couple of weeks after having the baby - and then go on six months paid maternity leave when the child was maybe 18-24 months old! Both you and the baby would appreciate it SO much more then! Imagine all the fun exciting things you could do ... and without the military operation involved in getting everything prepared before leaving the house! (I mean, of course there's still preparation involved, but they don't need to be fed and changed quite so often!)

I'm not ashamed to say I was delighted to get back to work after the six months! Part-time work would be the ideal, but it's not an option for me. It does take some adjustment, just being around people again all day every day. The first few weeks back at work, I had a constant nagging fear that I must have left baby behind somewhere! :D You get so used to them being almost an extension of you, at all times!

Quick update: Ruben has his first tooth! it came through the gums last Friday. it was a mad week with loads of tears and tantrums. hate all this teething lark.
    Weight and height at 17weeks (also last friday): 7.400kg, 68cm.

Re: going to work
    I didn't have a chance to find a job after finished my course last May (who would hire obviously pregnant woman???) . I applied for jobseekers two months ago - way too early. my partner kept going about my 'credits running out' so I was kinda bullied into it. I don't know how that system works. anyways I don't see myself going to work until my baby is at least 7-8months old. I wouldn't take anything more than part-time and it has to be local. this narrows my search significantly. I rather wear second hand clothes and drive old car than go to work ft and leave my baby with a stranger.

2014-11-19Bathtummy_zpse09995e6.jpg

• Advertisement

I am not cut out for being at home all the time!!!!!

Advertisement