Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 9 - 16GB & 32GB - €279

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Techmaster wrote: »
    You can't argue the fact that it pretty clearly shows excess light all around the edges. And it's not due to the overexposed photo.

As mentioned already, that photo vastly exaggerates any issue. Its clearly down to an overexposed photo. You can see the Android symbol is completely blown out, no detail visible, showing how sensitive the camera has been set to make sure it could detect any light leakage. You can see the noise in the image showing how high the ISO has been set to allow such an exaggeration of the issue.

If you look at this with your human eyes you will most likely barely detect any leakage, possibly none at all.

If you took a pic of any laptop or tablet at the same light sensitivity (ISO) they would all show light leakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

The first batch of these that were released had a few issues, one was light bleed and another was to do with the buttons, however in October of last year they re-released a newer version which mostly fixed those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    As mentioned already, that photo vastly exaggerates any issue. Its clearly down to an overexposed photo. You can see the Android symbol is completely blown out, no detail visible, showing how sensitive the camera has been set to make sure it could detect any light leakage. You can see the noise in the image showing how high the ISO has been set to allow such an exaggeration of the issue.

If you look at this with your human eyes you will most likely barely detect any leakage, possibly none at all.

If you took a pic of any laptop or tablet at the same light sensitivity (ISO) they would all show light leakage.

Light bleed is still an issue, as another user confirmed after buying his this week. Personally, I wouldn't expect light bleed on whats supposed to be a premium product. Cheap tablets, yes. These, no.

Light bleed is still an issue, as another user confirmed after buying his this week. Personally, I wouldn't expect light bleed on whats supposed to be a premium product. Cheap tablets, yes. These, no.

Seems like you have an issue with the tablet. if only you didnt have to buy it.

Wait a minute!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Wait a minute!!!!!

I am the happy owner of the Nexus 7, and am looking for a good upgrade soon. So you would be incorrect.

• Advertisement

I am the happy owner of the Nexus 7, and am looking for a good upgrade soon. So you would be incorrect.

so your saying that you have to buy it?
    Someone is standing behind you in argos, with a gun to your head saying

"Now order a nexus 9, now hand over the money to the cashier, nice and slow like, and nobody gets hurt".

The list of things you have to do are relatively small. Its more like you really really want to buy it.

Is it really that noticeable?

I have an old samsung tab at least 3 years old which runs like a snail so want to replace it with the nexus 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Now now girls take it down a notch, it's fairy acceptable for people to have different opinions and views on different pieces of tech, there's still no getting away from the fact that if Argos honour the reserved price it's €200 cheaper than Amazon which is my measuring stick.
    I have a tab 3 8 inch which i mainly use for kodi but it's slow as ****e with all my daughter's movies and games so seriously considering this but just wondering if it's overkill for my needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Its not that noticable. Those people complaining are the kind that "notice" the difference between 30fps and 60fps...cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

skeg16 wrote: »
    Its not that noticable. Those people complaining are the kind that "notice" the difference between 30fps and 60fps...cop on

Now, well that is noticable :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Completely different comparison in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭droidman123

I have my nexus 9 since launch and can honestly say i have no issues with light bleed. If you put a black screen on the tablet in a dark room and have the brightness near to 100%, yes you will see some lightbleed, but who is ever going to use their tablet like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

I have my nexus 9 since launch and can honestly say i have no issues with light bleed. If you put a black screen on the tablet in a dark room and have the brightness near to 100%, yes you will see some lightbleed, but who is ever going to use their tablet like that.

Would you recommend buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭droidman123

jonny_b wrote: »
    Would you recommend buying?

Absolutey, i love the tablet. No lag on high end games, nice size for reading etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The battery life is not great though and the screen ratio is not really suited to wide screen format video.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Reserved this yesterday afternoon, and the reservation email says it will be ready for collection from tomorrow (24th). So may find out if this price is legit then.

Also although the price has now changed back to €419 on the Argos product page they have included an asterisk saying:

"* Please note item 3307700 has previously been on sale at €279.00."

So seems like the price is legit...........

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

bigslick wrote: »
    Reserved this yesterday afternoon, and the reservation email says it will be ready for collection from tomorrow (24th). So may find out if this price is legit then.

Also although the price has now changed back to €419 on the Argos product page they have included an asterisk saying:

"* Please note item 3307700 has previously been on sale at €279.00."

So seems like the price is legit...........

I'm in the same boat as you, I reserved a 32gb at 279 to be collected from tomorrow. So when I go in with my conformation email of 279 tomorrow will I get it for that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you, I reserved a 32gb at 279 to be collected from tomorrow. So when I go in with my conformation email of 279 tomorrow will I get it for that price?

Well according to the below poster:
    I rang Argos and they said if its reserved at the sale price I should get it at the sale price even though the promotion will be up they will honour the price.

It seems the price is valid once reserved within the sale period, and it does seem like it was a legit sale price going by the previously quoted asterisk on the product page:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3307700.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

JDxtra wrote: »
    I think the issue is exaggerated in those images. You can't even see the Android logo in one of the images because the picture is so over exposed.

If you took a pic of any laptop or tablet at the same light sensitivity (ISO) they would all show light leakage. No they dont

The screen gets brighter when you get an update.

Ironically, "vastly exaggerates" is a vast exaggeration.

It was a quick photo taken by someone to show the light bleed on another forum, I wouldn't expect it to be the best quality. When you take a quick pic of a screen on a phone, they don't always focus correctly and possibly are poor depending on your camera. The reason images were taken is to show light bleed and they probably slightly over exposed the images to show light bleed (the point of taking the pics!). Ultimately the photo shows the supposedly premium tablet has a bad light bleeding issue which shouldn't be there.

Wait a minute!!!!!
    so your saying that you have to buy it?
    Someone is standing behind you in argos, with a gun to your head saying

"Now order a nexus 9, now hand over the money to the cashier, nice and slow like, and nobody gets hurt".

The list of things you have to do are relatively small. Its more like you really really want to buy it.

giphy.gif

I think you need a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rachaell

Omg I don't know what to do. I have one reserved for my mam's birthday. She has an acer 7 inch that's on its last legs, but she loves using for her games etc. I don't know if this one will be over kill for her tho.
    She has an android box that she uses for watching movies & shows so she only uses the tablet for Facebook, emails and games like candy crush.
    It's too good of a deal to turn down tho, I might get it for myself and get her an asus 8 inch! Decisions decisions 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rachaell

I'll take that reservation off your hands....I'm sound like that :D
    Ha ha thanks that's kind of you!
    I'll let you know if I'm not using it. I have till Monday to make up my mind 😠

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I have one reserved, and I know they'll honour the reservation price but there is there any way to get them to extend the reservation for a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Niemoj wrote: »
    I have one reserved, and I know they'll honour the reservation price but there is there any way to get them to extend the reservation for a few days?

Ring them, they have extended a reservation for me before but not with a price issue.

You can only ask :)

Looks like i wont be getting mine, just checked my email reservation from yesterday, no reservation number included in it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

rachaell wrote: »
    Omg I don't know what to do. I have one reserved for my mam's birthday. She has an acer 7 inch that's on its last legs, but she loves using for her games etc. I don't know if this one will be over kill for her tho.
    She has an android box that she uses for watching movies & shows so she only uses the tablet for Facebook, emails and games like candy crush.
    It's too good of a deal to turn down tho, I might get it for myself and get her an asus 8 inch! Decisions decisions 😬

I'd say its overkill.

sue97 wrote: »
    Ring them, they have extended a reservation for me before but not with a price issue.

You can only ask :)
    Cheers.

Mine's reserved from 27 - 29 July so I'll ring up then and find out what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

rogercross wrote: »
    Looks like i wont be getting mine, just checked my email reservation from yesterday, no reservation number included in it :-(

Was there no number in the email subject?

Was there no number in the email subject?

Nope just says "Argos - Thank you for your Reservation", i also gave them my phone number and didn't receive a text confirmation either.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Just got the your reservation is ready to collect text. What to do..... 32gb white

• Advertisement

Just got the your reservation is ready to collect text. What to do..... 32gb white

Ring up and ask them to extend your reservation by a week or so?

Advertisement