Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Your team is fairly similar to mine above but I reversed Faulkner & Clarke. I also think Danny Cusack is worth giving playing time. Best man marker I have seen in a long time in the county and I would have him in mind for McManus. Gunner Brady a great servant but struggled badly last week.

Why would you leave Oisin Pierson on the bench? He was our best forward pre Covid. I think Madden is better coming on as an impact sub.

Stephen Smith is a player I don’t rate. I’ve seen him in various different games and can’t see what he offers. A good club player but not county level.

Sorry, I had meant Stephen Murray as impact sub, not Stephen Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

This is terrible stuff so far against a Roscommon team missing 10-12 players. Poor kickouts,Stupid fouling,Roscommon running straight through our defence, fielding ball uncontested at midfield. Stupid decision making, blasting 50/50 balls in high on top of the likes Cormac o Reilly( whom is playing brilliantly to be fair but he's not a targetman).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

This is poor stuff. Roscommon clinical playing against the wind. Great save from Galligan keeping Cavan in it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

This is embarrassing stuff, what do these lads do at training.
    It's going to take a huge improvement in the second half to get anything out of this.

I hate being critical of management, but what have they been doing at training, certain lads are completely off the pace, fitness wise, there's no defensive shape ,no attacking plan except shoot from distance, which to be fair, has yielded a few great scores. I hope to god we don't go down, but on this standard,we are a division 3 team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Woeful. I don’t like to run down a team but hard to believe these lads were in Division 1 twelve months ago.

Conroy, even though he is missing the frees, and Cormac O’Reilly, the only two emerging with any semblance of respectability.

Why in god’s name was Killian Brady left full back!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Hammar wrote: »
    This is terrible stuff so far against a Roscommon team missing 10-12 players. Poor kickouts,Stupid fouling,Roscommon running straight through our defence, fielding ball uncontested at midfield. Stupid decision making, blasting 50/50 balls in high on top of the likes Cormac o Reilly( whom is playing brilliantly to be fair but he's not a targetman).

No way are Roscommon missing any more than 3 players... We are a Div 3 team going by what I'm seeing today

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very poor first half from Cavan.
    Don’t know how to tackle and very poor at defending.
    Roscommon’s 4th point summed up both of the above points.
    Lacking leaders.
    Their kicking has not been good either.
    I watched them a few times last year and I think they’ve gone backwards.
    Hope they improve in the second half.

Roscommon look way fitter. Their conditioning looks very good. Breaking tackles at ease

Tomas Corrigan scoring heavily against Laois which will keep Cavan up. But Cavan have looked very much a Division 3 team today. Lucky its a weak Division 2.

• Advertisement

Cavan gone down. Our first time in Division 3 since 2014.
    Monaghan will hammer us next week.

I spoke too soon. Jesus..

That's a tough one to take but that is what happens when you depend on other results

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Cavan gone down. Our first time in Division 3 since 2014.
    Monaghan will hammer us next week.

I hate to be critical of players or management but that was absolutely shocking in spells. I think we hit 13 wides, some of them criminal. At spells we looked like we had never played as a unit together before. No shape, no semblance of tactics. I don’t think there’s anyone bar young Reilly who could come out of that shambles with any sort of credit.

If I hear any scour about Covid affecting our plans, I will blow. It’s the same for everyone, and we had some shocking performances out there.

The game was there for the taking in the second half but the lack of basic handling skills and a bit of composure in front of goal was shocking.
    There's no obvious patterns of play which is worrying.

cavan4sam wrote: »
    That's a tough one to take but that is what happens when you depend on other results

We deserve to be in Division 3 after that performance unfortunately.

I hate to be critical of players or management but that was absolutely shocking in spells. I think we hit 13 wides, some of them criminal. At spells we looked like we had never played as a unit together before. No shape, no semblance of tactics. I don’t think there’s anyone bar young Reilly who could come out of that shambles with any sort of credit.

If I hear any scour about Covid affecting our plans, I will blow. It’s the same for everyone, and we had some shocking performances out there.

Thomas Galligan was excellent when he came on. You’d have to question why Graham dropped him last Xmas and also why he didn’t start today.

It’s a huge kick in the teeth but with teams like Cork, Kildare & probably Mayo or Tyrone in Division 2 next year, we’d have no business being there.

We won’t even get qualifiers next Summer now.

Yevon wrote: »
    Very poor from Cavan. Very little by way of cohesive play going forward. Defensively we left massive gaps for Roscommon compared to the pressure they were able to exert on us going forward.

Management have to take responsibility, this team do not look well coached. Selection of the starting team was questionable. They look completely devoid of confidence.

It was dreadful and going back to pre Covid we were cut open down the middle by every team we played. Despite everything, we have good enough players to stay in Division 2 but we got what we deserved.

I was at the Clare game before Covid and it was really poor. A burst in the second half for 10 minutes, but mostly flat. The Westmeath game, was a good comeback but Westmeath threw it away. The Fermanagh game, Cavan probaly controlled it. Fermangh wasteful. Wasn't t at the at the Laois game. Armagh won convincly in first game

Ultimately not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Absolutely shocking stuff for the past couple of weeks not forgetting Armaagh back pre COVID. Could be worse we could have had to stand through it in person. Mattie and Terry got sacked for less.

• Advertisement

piplip87 wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking stuff for the past couple of weeks not forgetting Armaagh back pre COVID. Could be worse we could have had to stand through it in person. Mattie and Terry got sacked for less.

Terry walked away himself. He wasn’t “sacked”. The We Are Cavan lads mentioned a heave by some players at the time on a podcast a while back which saw him go.

McGleenan stepped away himself too over some disagreement. Can’t remember exactly what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭benjy1000

Absolute dirt.

Consecutive relegations is hard to take but fully deserved.

Covid? As far as I can see that was a full strength Cavan team.
    The problem is and has been with Cavan for years is that bar a couple of players you could pick any 12 players from the 40 man panel for any game and there would be no difference in quality. So many average players constantly in & out of the team and it makes no difference.

People always on about whose not in the panel but there’s just a severe dearth of quality in the county, & even when these lads come back from their hiatus as was the case today it makes no difference to the quality.

Cavan will always be willing & able to huff & puff but will never blow a house down.

I wouldn't even be confident they will get out of Division 3 next. Derry, Fermangh, Longford and Tipperary will all give Cavan a good rattle on that showing.

benjy1000 wrote: »
    Absolute dirt.

Consecutive relegations is hard to take but fully deserved.

Covid? As far as I can see that was a full strength Cavan team.
    The problem is and has been with Cavan for years is that bar a couple of players you could pick any 12 players from the 40 man panel for any game and there would be no difference in quality. So many average players constantly in & out of the team and it makes no difference.

People always on about whose not in the panel but there’s just a severe dearth of quality in the county, & even when these lads come back from their hiatus as was the case today it makes no difference to the quality.

Cavan will always be willing & able to huff & puff but will never blow a house down.

There was also no gameplay, no defensive structure, no attacking plan and terrible fitness levels. That's on the management team. We don't have the best group of players in the country,we are nowhere close, but the players we have are better than what was shown today.

piplip87 wrote: »

That’s the only consolation that I didn’t have to pay in to see yawn performance.

Graham will probably get next year based on the disruptions this year, but that’s down from division one to three in his watch. I have it as 6 wins over league and championship in two years. Not good enough.

Given that our run at one stage was maulings from Donegal, Tyrone, Armagh, Tyrone, Armagh and being about 7 down at half time to Westmeath, I thought the lads had done brilliantly to claw themselves back. Leaving Brewster back in Fermanagh I thought we would beat Clare and go up. We were complexly clueless that day, showing no tactical acumen tearing into Clare against a gale force wind in the first half and hoping for a second half blue wave to get us over the line (and we almost did).

Take the awful wides and poor handling today and we could have won. But we didn’t and next year is going to be hard to motivate lads for division 3 and yet another load of nonsense about us “rebuilding”.

Longer term if Mickey Graham is the man for the job, he’s going to have to get us to defend. Some of our defensive set ups this year are as poor as under McGleenan. Even Fermanagh walked through us.

Right, I’m off to walk the dog. That “performance” would drive you to the drink!

rrs wrote: »
    I wouldn't even be confident they will get out of Division 3 next. Derry, Fermangh, Longford and Tipperary will all give Cavan a good rattle on that showing.

Getting out of div 3???
    On that performance we'll be lucky to stay in it
    I think a heavy defeat next week and mickeys time is up
    Killiian Clarke offers nothing anymore
    Gearoid on the edge of the square or in the stand
    Very despondent after today

I think we should not get too carried away. Yes, today was a blow. The performance wasn't good. There are issues there. But the last thing we want to do is create that poisonous atmosphere around the team that existed 10-12 years ago.

What we don't need next year is more lads leaving the panel and compounding the problem. We need to keep everyone there for the moment and we need to get back McVeety and Moynagh if they return to Ireland. If the management can reflect on the performances of the team this year and work to solve the major problems, maybe bring in some new blood to the backroom team, I think we can bounce straight back. The response to this relegation and the relegation to the Tier 2 championship will set the course for this generation of players.

You make a great point about keeping everyone together,but I fear many of the squad won't be interested in playing in the second tier championship next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭blowitupref

cavan4sam wrote: »
    No way are Roscommon missing any more than 3 players... We are a Div 3 team going by what I'm seeing today

They were missing 8 starters from the win over Armagh last week. 5 of the first choice defenders out, a midfielder and two forwards.

I'm really shocked that Cavan have allowed themselves to drop back down to Div 3.

Cavan had talks with Anthony Cunnigham after McGleenan left, but he ruled it out, and later took Roscommon job. He probaly knew there was better calibre player with Roscommon. He's steadied the ship with Roscommon. Their conditioning has come on a lot compared to when McStay was there, and bit more solid in defence.

Cavan not really going anywhere. 2 relegations, questionable fitness levels, and tactics. Players coming back and going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Gaafan21

Very poor from Cavan. Very little by way of cohesive play going forward. Defensively we left massive gaps for Roscommon compared to the pressure they were able to exert on us going forward.

Management have to take responsibility, this team do not look well coached. Selection of the starting team was questionable. They look completely devoid of confidence.

Agree completely, selection baffled me. No harm to Niall Murray but to start him this weekend with little or no football all year was criminal. Mickey Graham set the tone last week after the defeat to Kildare. To go and give an interview saying that the season probably shouldn't be continued showed his lack of faith in his team. In saying that Roscommon played with a second string team and we played our full team. Enda Smith was dominant throughout.

Advertisement