Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USB Saorview receiver ($7.40 delivered)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

dudcastle wrote: »
    can you tell me what BDA drivers means by any chance - would the saorview dongle work with my laptop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Driver_Architecture it's just a general video capture spec for Windows OS.

The dongle works fine for me on netbook, laptop and desktops with XP, Vista & Win7 on both VLC & (Vista-Win7 )Media Center. Just make sure to install the basic setup driver off the disk - some folk here reported the dongle is picked up natively by win7, didn't happen for me.

The main thing is broadcast signal strength/proximity to transmitter where ever you are. Sticking the suppied magnetic aerial to an upstairs radiator worked well for me.

Transmitter frequencies for using VLC are here:
    http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/dtt-muxes#mapping

A previous 37 page thread on DVB-T devices including this one gives handy configuration advice - with a bit of tedious reading in between:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056076074

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I might be chasing rainbows here, but this wouldn't work from the midlands in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Would this work on a dreambox ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Barr wrote: »

According to a previous post, it will indeed.

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Have one of these from the last time these were in bargain Alerts..

Works grand on pc and on the dreambox..

Go for it, just get an adapter to connect it to the main aerial if you don't have a good reception!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Will work grand on enigma 2 mate..

Uses the Af9015 drivers!

Have one on my 800hd...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Will work grand on enigma 2 mate..

Uses the Af9015 drivers!

Have one on my 800hd...

Sweet , I have the DM800 as well. Cheap way to get soarview:D

Sweet , I have the DM800 as well. Cheap way to get soarview:D

Works great...

If you want to know how to get the drivers, pm me and ill let ya know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

How good is it at receiving a signal?

A set-top box would be connected to a large roof mounted aerial so I would be worried about getting a signal straight to a USB dongle.

In a lot of situations that's a completely unnecessarily prohibitive cost.

I use one of these:

[HTML]http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RF-Coaxial-MCX-TV-Antenna-Cable-Adaptor-DVB-T-DVBT-/180550379298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09a42722[/HTML]

To connect it to the aerial on the roof as the little aerial is pointless for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Slightly off topic but kinda related, You can get the irish tv channel live if you have internet here and its 100% legal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Slightly off topic but kinda related, You can get the irish tv channel live if you have internet here and its 100% legal

Yupp, is run by magnet, but doesn't provide rte2 in hd, and the quality itself on the sd channels is lacking compared with what saorview would offer for a tenner it'd be worth it.
    Dear Customer,
    Sorry to tell that we had been attacked by our competitors because of our unbeatable price, but we have fixed this problem. We apologize for all of the trouble this may caused.
    I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

Great thanks, just ordered one!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Worth a punt - ordered

thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Worth a punt
    has the Euro been canned and nobody told me? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

how long will free shipping take ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 siezetheday

Ordered mine yesterday, their site was down a while. Purchase confirmation shows delivery can take up to 40 days but I find they usually take 2 weeks.

Nice find. Thanks!

Buyincoins are usually fast enough delivering..

8 working days for me usually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Ordered, thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

Thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

would one of these work with android? or hp IOS? (I have one on the way from DX from the black friday deal, and am wondering will it work with my new touchpad :-) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Anyone have any luck using this with Ubuntu or any Unix OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

got one of these, its dead, not a geeks out of it, any of the lights on it will not light up, when i try to scan in channels it says no signal, return to sender methinks, then i hope they replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

flutered wrote: »
    got one of these, its dead, not a geeks out of it, any of the lights on it will not light up, when i try to scan in channels it says no signal, return to sender methinks, then i hope they replace it.

Any reaction from the system when plugged in "found new hardware"? Attempting to install drivers? or yellow question/exclamation marks in device manager - particularly under 'other devices'.

If so try and install the basic setup driver (not the blazed TV stuff) from the disc. Replug the device in and reboot the system if required to see if it recognises it when rescanned in media centre - the blue led only came on for me after the driver was installed (USB TV card recognised).

If not it's probably screwed alright!

would one of these work with android? or hp IOS? (I have one on the way from DX from the black friday deal, and am wondering will it work with my new touchpad :-) )

Never heard of android having capabilities sorry...
    Anyone have any luck using this with Ubuntu or any Unix OS?

Can't see why not as its chipset is the popular Af9015 and the driver is widely available for linux based satellite recievers..

Is that scanning off the little aerial?

I get the same here in Kerry, so had to use the Roof aerial via a connector..

No lights illumanate until a signal is found or channel is being used on mine... Once its being reocgnised by the laptop/pc you should be ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Received mine this morning, thanks op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

Got mine this morning too, am just trying to get it going

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Just a quick question on this-
    Will it run under Ubuntu/VLC?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

theShire wrote: »
    Just a quick question on this-
    Will it run under Ubuntu/VLC?

Hi theShire and kkelly77,

It might work on the latest Ubuntu but not on the older versions (I'm using Lucid)

Ended up using mine on dual boot W7 with media centre.

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Anyone think I will get this before xmas? Email said 8-40 days :pac:

I ordered about 12 working days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

GrumPy wrote: »
    Anyone think I will get this before xmas? Email said 8-40 days :pac:

I ordered about 12 working days ago.

You should get it very soon, i got mine today and i ordered on the 3rd of december i think... going by paypal history.

Advertisement