Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Maurice only played quarter of an hour last week so doubt so?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Hopefully Shane Walsh will be back anyway. Confident of beating Cork on Sunday if he's available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Is there any free scoring forward in the county that should be on the panel?Is there any knocking around the city even?Out of a population of 50 thousand people you'd think there would be a few decent footballers in there!I really admire this Waterford football team.Their a hard working bunch and honest as the day is long but they really lack penetration in the forwards.

Mark Ferncombe is a bit of a goal getter. He got three in one game last year against Wicklow. I think however it was his choice not to play this year. Pity really as he is a good player. Someone said he is playing a lot of soccer for some club in Waterford City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Any team news for Sunday V Cork? Connors injured? Maurice and Shane Walsh available?

Someone close to the team told me today that Maurice wont play against Cork but could well be fit to play Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Looking ahead to sunday provided the team are switched on and bring the same level of focus that they bought against Tipp then im confident enough of a Cork win.I may be deluded and biased but i think there was too much doom and gloom about Cork hurling over the past few months.I think this team would be equal with everyone else (with the exception of Galway and possibly Tipp) apart from Kilkenny and i think there's a good forward line coming together that will cause teams problems.I expect a close game and a Cork win by three to four points.:)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Connors definitely out. Daniels and Shane Fives will be the corner backs I imagine with Lawlor in the middle.

Maurice won't be considered until at least the Kilkenny game. I can't see Shane Walsh starting, maybe I'm wrong, but he would be an excellent impact sub to bring in maybe at half time.

I can see a change at midfield. Possibly Darragh Fives in a straight swap with Twomey or Fives moving to wing back with either Nagle or Moran moving to midfield. Personally I would prefer to see Darragh tried in midfield and leave the settled half back line as it is.

Hard to see any changes being made in the forwards for this game as the two lads probably still aren't match fit. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe Jamie Barron was brought in ahead of, possibly Gavin O'Brien. Martin O'Neill is another option for a change and I feel he was unlucky not be starting against Clare and maybe unfairly treated in not being brought on ahead of one or two of the subs.

My choice to start would be O'Halloran, Mahoney, Brian O'Sullivan, Dillon, Prendergast and Jamie Barron.

One thing that I am worried about is how Lehane scored so freely in the league last year. He was missed by Cork in the Championship game and how he is managed/contained is going to play a big part in the game. I'd have Moran stick with him as I think he has too much mobility for Nagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

glick6 wrote: »
    One thing that I am worried about is how Lehane scored so freely in the league last year. He was missed by Cork in the Championship game and how he is managed/contained is going to play a big part in the game. I'd have Moran stick with him as I think he has too much mobility for Nagle.

If you're worried about mobility, Moran wouldn't be the man for the job. You'd be far better off sticking Daniels on him - he is probably one of the quickest players in the squad.

hardybuck wrote: »

If you're worried about mobility, Moran wouldn't be the man for the job. You'd be far better off sticking Daniels on him - he is probably one of the quickest players in the squad.

Good point. Serious acceleration. Aggressive. Could be a good call.

There's more to the Cork attack than Conor Lehane!Pat Horgan Paudie O'Sullivan Luke O'Farrell Cian McCarthy Pa Cronin and Stephen Moylan as well as Daniel Kearney and Lorchan McLoughlin in midfield are well able to keep the scoreboard ticking over.Stephen Moylan did a great job when he came on as a sub against Waterford in the championship last year.He started hooking and blocking and getting stuck into the Waterford backs faces.He even scored a point that was waved wide!My only complaint is the attack lack's a consistent goal threat.

There's more to the Cork attack than Conor Lehane!Pat Horgan Paudie O'Sullivan Luke O'Farrell Cian McCarthy Pa Cronin and Stephen Moylan as well as Daniel Kearney and Lorchan McLoughlin in midfield are well able to keep the scoreboard ticking over.Stephen Moylan did a great job when he came on as a sub against Waterford in the championship last year.He started hooking and blocking and getting stuck into the Waterford backs faces.He even scored a point that was waved wide!My only complaint is the attack lack's a consistent goal threat.

Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely not underestimating the rest of the cork attack. I just picked him as someone I think can cause a lot of trouble. It's not a "stop him and we win" scenario. No way. Hoping for a good competitive contest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Lineout looking something like this so, taking the above posts into account

SOK, Shane Fives, Lawlor, Daniels, Nagle, Brick, Moran, Daragh Fives, Shane O'Sullivan, O'Halloran, Seamus Pender, Jake Dillon, Brian O'Sullivan, Pauric Mahony, Jamie Barron/Gavin O'Brien/Martin O'Neill.

Toss up for the last corner forward position. Hopefully Shane Walsh has a half of hurling in him, would be a big boost for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Pity Maurice isn't fit, we are lacking ball winners in the forwards.

glick6 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely not underestimating the rest of the cork attack. I just picked him as someone I think can cause a lot of trouble. It's not a "stop him and we win" scenario. No way. Hoping for a good competitive contest.

Well it's not exactly the Kilkenny forward line!All of Corks forwards would be of a similar standard ie decent hurlers with nice skill.Lack of physicality and a lack of consistent goal scoring capacity is an issue.Conors form has been poor enough anyway.Maybe he might explode into action this sunday!He's a promising talent but he's a long way from the finished article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Well it's not exactly the Kilkenny forward line!All Corks forwards would be of a similar standard ie decent hurlers with nice skill.Lack of physicality and a lack of consistent goal scoring capacity is an issue.Conor form has been poor enough anyway.Maybe he might explode into action this sunday!He's a promising talent but he's a long way from the finished article.

Lehane's form is very good at the moment, same as it was at the start of last year. He'll be a big danger with his pace, the only issue he may have is playing on a tight pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Pity Maurice isn't fit, we are lacking ball winners in the forwards.

you are joking right? the same lad wouldnt win an argument. Seamus Pender is our only real ball-winning forward at the moment thats why he has to start on the 40 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

robopaddy wrote: »
    you are joking right? the same lad wouldnt win an argument. Seamus Pender is our only real ball-winning forward at the moment thats why he has to start on the 40 imo

Agreed, he's very passive altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Is sundays match in Dungarvan or Walsh Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Dungarvan

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Waterford in Dungarvan at 2pm on Sunday will line out as follows:

Anthony Nash
    Kanturk

Shane O'Neill Stephen McDonnell Conor O'Sullivan
    Bishopstown Glen Rovers Sarsfields

Stephen White Lorcan McLoughlin Christopher Joyce
    Ballygarvan Kanturk Na Piarsaigh

Patrick Cronin Daniel Kearney
    Bishopstown Sarsfields

Cian McCarthy Paudie O'Sullivan Seamus Harnedy
    Sarsfields Cloyne St. Ita's

Stephen Moylan Peter O'Brien Patrick Horgan
    Douglas Kildorrery Glen Rovers

Subs

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
    17. Brian Murphy Bride Rovers
    18. Kilian Murphy Erins Own
    19. Mark Ellis Millstreet
    20. William Egan Kilbrin
    21. Tom Kenny Grenagh
    22. Michael Walsh Kildorrery
    23. Rob O'Shea Carrigaline
    24. Conor Lehane Midleton
    25. Luke O'Farrell Midleton
    26. Brian Hartnett Midleton

Jimmy Barry-Murphy and his selectors have made a number of personnel and positional changes from the team that started Cork's first league game against Tipperary. Lorcán McLoughlin moves to centre back, while Christopher Joyce is named at wing back in place of William Egan. Captain Pa Cronin returns from suspension to parther Daniel Kearney, while Paudie O'Sullivan and Cian McCarthy have exchanged positions. Following an impressive campaign with his club, Kildorrery, last year, including a Munster Club Final victory, Peter O'Brien makes his Allianz League début at full forward, replacing Luke O'Farrell

I have to say that's a decent team with good options to spring from the bench.Provided the team are focused on the job in hand i fancy Cork to leave Dungarvan with the two points!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Only one player from Barrs, Rockies or the Glen.
    Strange world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Do we get the team tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

team announced https://mobile.twitter.com/WaterfordGAA

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Waterford team to play Cork.

1. Stephen O keefe
    2. Shane fives
    3. Liam lawlor
    4. Stephen daniels
    5. Jamie nagle
    6. Michael walsh
    7. Kevin moran
    8. Shane o sullivan
    9. Darragh fives
    10. Brian o halloran
    11. Seamus prendergast
    12. Jake dillon
    13. Brian o sullivan
    14. Shane walsh
    15. Pauric mahony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

IanVW wrote: »

1. Stephen O keefe
    2. Shane fives
    3. Liam lawlor
    4. Stephen daniels
    5. Jamie nagle
    6. Michael walsh
    7. Kevin moran
    8. Shane o sullivan
    9. Darragh fives
    10. Brian o halloran
    11. Seamus prendergast
    12. Jake dillon
    13. Brian o sullivan
    14. Shane walsh
    15. Pauric mahony

A strong team, delighted to see Paudie being named at no. 15 as I have always believed he was wasted at half forward. Interesting midfield selection, it is clearly an area that Ryan is undecided on. I think with the exception of Maurice and Noel this will not be far off our team lining out in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

robopaddy wrote: »

Why would you think I'm joking?

Maurice is a great man to win frees, and well able to contest a ball one on one.
    Hes alot better than the other 5 forwards.

If he can stay injury free for the rest of the year he'll show hes true worth

Very happy with the team named. I will be having a sizeable amount on us at 2-1. Come on the déise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

IanVW wrote: »

1. Stephen O keefe
    2. Shane fives
    3. Liam lawlor
    4. Stephen daniels
    5. Jamie nagle
    6. Michael walsh
    7. Kevin moran
    8. Shane o sullivan
    9. Darragh fives
    10. Brian o halloran
    11. Seamus prendergast
    12. Jake dillon
    13. Brian o sullivan
    14. Shane walsh
    15. Pauric mahony

really like the look of that team. kind of looking forward to sunday now after seeing it. for so many years weve looked at the teams named for league games you find yourself thinking why is this lad starting or what are they playing him there for. a couple names dont need mentioning. but this year at least theres no messing around and were picking the best lads available to us in the right positions and thats a good start. Darragh Fives at midfield is an interesting one but I wouldnt have too many fears about him at all. a very versatile player, stylish hurler aswell and will know a good few of the Cork lads from being with UCC in the Fitzgibbon.

Just want to see a performance on Sunday. Cork is probably a bit of a step up from Clare so we'll have to up it a bit again. But if we hurl like we can we'll be there or there abouts after 70 mins Im sure of that

Roll on sunday.What would we do without the GAA!Hopefully our lad's are switched on for this and i think we have the options on the bench to win it!Im expecting a tough battle but hopefully it will be a Cork win.Rebels Abu In JBM We Trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Happy with that team, glad to see Shane Walsh back in as we need some physical presence in the FF line and a target man to win ball.
    Agree that this wouldn't be too far from the team that would be expected to line out in June.

Think we have a good chance Sunday, it'll be tough but it's really 50:50 as always v Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Lehane's form is very good at the moment, same as it was at the start of last year. He'll be a big danger with his pace, the only issue he may have is playing on a tight pitch.

Id agree with most of that but Lehane is no where near he's form of the same time last year.Last year he was superb all through the Fitzgibbon Cup and in the first game against ye got about 7 from play in Cork.He really only came to life against UCD and against Mary's I last week.
    Even so last week I would say while he looked like he was coming in to form,he was not spectaular.He's goal was actually a poor shot,Nolan the goal keeper really should of saved it.
    Harnedy our half forward is actually in better form.He is winning more dirty ball.
    Lehane was poor againt tipp by he own standards,just one point from play.
    He is not even starting as he is being rested after a lot of hurling the last few weeks.He is a danger definetley,but he is not firing on all cylinders yet.I would expect both full back lines will see a lot of ball,as Fraher field is such a tight ptich.
    It is hear ye could really prosper as Mcdonnell is not good under the high ball.
    Shane walsh will take any chance that he gets.
    Kearney and Paudie sul will be the main men for waterford to watch as they are Corks main link men.Most of Corks scores will be mainly around the space they create for the rest of the forwards.
    The battle between Paudie Sul and Brick will be intersting.Does the Brick hold the centre or br dragged all over the place like Maher was?The Brick is no fool.
    Pa Cronin is the main target man for us.

Peter O Brien and Harnedy are there to add to Cronin,but these 3,are making their league debuts and are unproven.It may take them a few games for us to see their best.
    This will be a close game.The weather will have a big bearing.What impresses me the most about the side ye have picked is ye have expierence and physicality in the spine of yere team.
    Cork by comparison are inexpierenced in those positions.Ye have Lawlor,the Brick,Prengerast and Walsh .
    Tippereary was not a true test of Cork.
    Sunday will be,as this is a tough place to go for such a young team.Hopefully it be a good game.The last time we played ye in waterford it was a draw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement