Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Pictorial Weekly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

doing wrote: »
    Satire is meant to be funny...

Laboured, formulaic sketches like that are never funny...I expect to laugh when I tune into a comedy, not see the televisual equivalent of the cartoon in the Irish Times.

They stole the unfunny "dubbing politicians so they're talking gibberish" routine from US sketch shows. They're repeating the same jokes every episode like Little Britain but there are only 4 episodes. It's just so lazy.

I suppose like all things it's a matter of taste. I find it very funny.

And just for the record Barry Murphy has been doing the 'dubbing over people' thing on TV since the 90s so I guess he has as much claim to it as anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

AnonoBoy wrote: »

And just for the record Barry Murphy has been doing the 'dubbing over people' thing on TV since the 90s so I guess he has as much claim to it as anyone.
    yeah it's a common format so it can't really be stolen...just borrowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Nope, they copied the sketch. There's a huge difference between on the one hand dubbing funny dialogue and ignoring the lip syncing, which as you say is as old as the hills, eg

and then on the other hand matching the lip sync to gibberish like this huge viral hit the Irish Pictorial Weekly writers obviously saw last year:

which they then copied in my opinion, unless there was a huge coincidence

Not only have they lazily copied this huge viral hit, they do this one joke in every single episode. That is very lazy.

But you're right in saying it's subjective and if you're enjoying it I'm not trying to take that away from you. I was just writing down my own reaction just as you wrote yours. Just disappointed at how few original jokes there are when you watch an episode, between copied jokes like that one and then repeating all the rest of them when there are only 4 episodes, when you consider how 2/3's of Apres Match are in it and of the funniest people from the Savage Eye..

Nope, they copied the sketch. There's a huge difference between on the one hand dubbing funny dialogue and ignoring the lip syncing, which as you say is as old as the hills, eg

and then on the other hand matching the lip sync to gibberish like this huge viral hit the Irish Pictorial Weekly writers obviously saw last year:

which they then copied in my opinion, unless there was a huge coincidence

Not only have they lazily copied this huge viral hit, they do this one joke in every single episode. That is very lazy.

But you're right in saying it's subjective and if you're enjoying it I'm not trying to take that away from you. I was just writing down my own reaction just as you wrote yours. Just disappointed at how few original jokes there are when you watch an episode, between copied jokes like that one and then repeating all the rest of them when there are only 4 episodes, when you consider how 2/3's of Apres Match are in it and of the funniest people from the Savage Eye..
    are you honestly suggesting that the so called "viral hit" from last year was original? go look up chris morris and come back to me....these are common tools of satire...certainly not stealing. The beatles, led zep and black sabbath would be suing everyone if that was the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Just caught up with the newest episode. It keeps getting better as it goes on! The Brian Dobson parts were great, the fact they make parts of the show about recent events that happened a week before the episode gets aired is a testament to how great it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Another good episode this week.

The kids re-enacting political speeches sketches are a bit meh,and go on a bit too long.

The guy in the dole office answering the counter girls questions in political bull**** language was very clever.

They also missed a trick by not having Eleanor Tiernan throw in some unaudible Irish gibberish at the end of the Crimecall sketch,just like Seoige always does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Really enjoying this series. The Court reports are great, and the civil servant meeting is quite realistic, based on my experience of attending a monthly meeting in one Dept. The intro stuff is quite dark, but we really do need some commentary like this now.

I spotted this new BBC show - nicely satirical, but with a bit more of a 'candid camera' approach; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vqgx3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

They also missed a trick by not having Eleanor Tiernan throw in some unaudible Irish gibberish at the end of the Crimecall sketch,just like Seoige always does.

Yes! I haven't seen the latest episode yet but I once caught Seoige's sign-off at the tail end of Crimecall once and thought it very contrived.

Did this show start off as a radio series by the same creators? Or am I mis-remembering? If so, I wouldn't mind listening back to a few if they're available anywhere.

Very good again this week,loved the take off of Baz Luhrmann's Sunscreen song in the intro.

Eircom phonewatch/house repossesion skit was very well done.

They have so much material to use in the Top 100 FF'r list thing too,great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Very good again this week,loved the take off of Baz Luhrmann's Sunscreen song in the intro.

Eircom phonewatch/house repossesion skit was very well done.

They have so much material to use in the Top 100 FF'r list thing too,great idea.

Thought it was another strong one, particularly liked the Ceann Comhairle kids sketch "is this actually a real person?" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Barry Murphy already did this with Soup Norman five years ago, long before that Ron Paul video. He took a Polish soap Opera and overdubbed it in that nonsensical way. It's probably not his idea originally but it certainly didn't start a year ago with the video you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Barry Murphy already did this with Soup Norman five years ago, long before that Ron Paul video. He took a Polish soap Opera and overdubbed it in that nonsensical way. It's probably not his idea originally but it certainly didn't start a year ago with the video you posted.

The words don't match with their mouths. That was the clever thing about the other sketch, if you match words up perfectly the result is gibberish and if you have a skilled impersonater it looks like they're really saying it.

That's just one thing though, I just think the same jokes every week when there are only 4 episodes is a bit lazy. It isn't like Apres Match can't think of lots of funny sketches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I think the serious and angry tone in some of the sketches is what makes the show. For example, the Angelus bells from this weeks, each knell marked with a scathing satirical factoid on govt. overspending etc. By trying to juxtapose these serious topics with a lightened mood and medium (the children's sketches, Exposé etc) it loses the edge. Personally I'd rather they have their audience gritting their teeth and scowling at the material than sniggering at silly whimsy wackiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I think the serious and angry tone in some of the sketches is what makes the show. For example, the Angelus bells from this weeks, each knell marked with a scathing satirical factoid on govt. overspending etc. By trying to juxtapose these serious topics with a lightened mood and medium (the children's sketches, Exposé etc) it loses the edge. Personally I'd rather they have their audience gritting their teeth and scowling at the material than sniggering at silly whimsy wackiness.

Did you miss the way they said "the Angelas" (as in Angela Merkel) ?

They had a few good sketches this week like the Phonewatch-based one but I think the schoolkids "doing drama" with verbatim scripts from the Dail records doesn't quite come off - perhaps if they had a group of normal actors sitting around a table doing a "first read-through" of the script, it might work better.
    There is a reason they advise never to work with children or animals!

Enjoyable again.The GAA rugby man and the Garda/nurse sketch at the end were particularly good.Nice to see Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly popping up too.

Schoolkids doing Fair City seemed pointless.

Thought they could have got more mileage out of the 100 FF'r list thing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Sinn fein are getting away very light, they rarely get a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

jjf1974 wrote: »
    Sinn fein are getting away very light, they rarely get a mention.

I agree that Sinn Fein doesn't get much attention, although there was a dig at Gerry Adams, this week, when he was depicted as saying that the height of Fianna Fail-ness is "refusing to accept that you've got any links to Fianna Fail".

But the show is utterly anti-establishment, and I think it would blunt its focus if it mocked anti-establishment politics, as well.

I thought today's show was very good, and much better than last week's. Once again, despite brilliant performances by Eleanor Tiernan and Gary Cooke, it's obvious that the star of the show is Barry Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

I am watching the midday show on Tv3 now .The way it was portrayed on Irish pictorial weekly last night is very accurate.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I want Dominic the country and western singers albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

jjf1974 wrote: »
    I am watching the midday show on Tv3 now .The way it was portrayed on Irish pictorial weekly last night is very accurate.:)

Cackling hens.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I want Dominic the country and western singers albums.
    "i love you unborn baba!
    ha ha

''I never thought that I'd see the day when a black lad is playing GAA,what is the country coming to at all?''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Elenor Tiernan's delivery of the Court Reports is priceless. Her deadpan persona suits them perfectly.

NB, "Deadpan" is an art, witness Buster Keaton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Midday p!ss-take was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thought the sketch of Michael Noonan was quality as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

In a word "weak".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

This show has the odd very entertaining sketch from time to time and when the sketch is good - it can be quite funny. However; unfortunately there also seems to be some very poorly scripted material which can just go on and on... and it turns me right off the whole show as it is hit and miss and in this day and age people have a remote control and lots of channels and other distractions for entertainment. Barry Murphy seems too good and is probably better doing ad lib as he is a naturally funny stand-up - Barry was great as usual promoting this show on The Late Late Show recently. Pity that the show is so patchy in terms of overall quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

looking forward to series three on saturday. the mammy seems to think that they won't do any irish water related sketches, seen as it's on RTE, but I don't think they have shied away from any topics so far.

hdowney wrote: »
    looking forward to series three on saturday. the mammy seems to think that they won't do any irish water related sketches, seen as it's on RTE, but I don't think they have shied away from any topics so far.

Series 3 started last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Yeah, I caught a bit of the episode from the new series the other night but the show got on my nerves as it went from being funny to long winded and boring within a few minutes. Pity it is so uneven as I felt similar watching an episode from the last series as well. Shame that it is still not consistent.

• Advertisement

is saturday nights a repeat then? i never noticed. bugger. i'll stick it in for sunday too so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I thought the sketch with all the various Gardaí executives sitting around a table was hilarious.

Sometimes, they just miss the mark though and sometimes it's hard to know who or what is actually being parodied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Glebee

I liked it. Not enough political satire on Irish TV..

is saturday nights a repeat then? i never noticed. bugger. i'll stick it in for sunday too so

Must be. It's on RTE 1 at 9.30 on Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hit and miss start, but still great to have it back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Denis O' Brien sketch was a masterpiece

Love that bosco theme music with the roll of shame figures

more weak spots than the last series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The guards with the cctv camera was ridiculous and they should also lose the senior civil servant sketch. The senior garda sketch was ok but it just got repetitive and predictable as it went on

Finally caught up with it on RTE Player. Very sorry to have to say this but I found it very weak, slow moving and just dull.
    In contrast, Savage Eye was quite funny, in parts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

It was a bit hit & miss but it's still good to have it back. I liked the Dominic Walsh song about his "bed in the shed". The David Drumm "A Wife" sketch was both funny & infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

As above, some very strong sketches with a lot of weak stuff done to death (the Gardai with the camera bit was barely funny the first time...) but the satirical stuff really hits home when it hits, it's important to have this show on Irish TV and long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Which raises an interesting question - it has been fairly hard-hitting political satire from the start, but RTE gets constantly beaten up for following the government line, which really couldn't be further than the truth. It also seems to have got a bit of a 'promotion' from late night Thursday to 9.30pm Sunday - prime time (Love/Hate) slot. I hope they get more credit for what they are doing.
    thelad95 wrote: »
    I thought the sketch with all the various Gardaí executives sitting around a table was hilarious.
    sligojoek wrote: »
    The guards with the cctv camera was ridiculous and they should also lose the senior civil servant sketch. The senior garda sketch was ok but it just got repetitive and predictable as it went on

Funny that the Garda one didn't do a lot for me, though I did enjoy the Drumm Wife sketch and particularly the senior civil servants with the consultants - possibly because I've been in several of those meetings over the years, and they are fairly scarily accurate. I think I wet myself a little bit at the gay bats, Sheamus and Michael. Tara Flynn's stuff was a bit off for me, and I normally really like her stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Eleanor Tiernan's court reports are pure theatre of the absurd.

delaad wrote: »
    Eleanor Tiernan's court reports are pure theatre of the absurd.

Perhaps that, but not particularly funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Is it me or has this programme just run out of material and seem to be just making it up on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I failed to even crack a smile this week. Even the normally dependable court reporter wasn't any use. There's better satire written on the back of pub toilet doors.

• Advertisement

kn wrote:
    Is it me or has this programme just run out of material and seem to be just making it up on the day?

I failed to even crack a smile this week. Even the normally dependable court reporter wasn't any use. There's better satire written on the back of pub toilet doors.

I watched last week's when it was repeated on Saturday (haven't watched this week's yet). I 'tittered' a couple times but that was about it. I found it a bit lacklustre compared to the previous series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I've found over its overall run it's been hit and miss in some places;
    but I did like the Fine Gaelness sketches with Pee Flynn and Mary O'Rourke. I've always generally liked Gardai sketches especially when includes politicians and other notable individuals. There's plenty of material out there though provided by politicians to keep it current and sharp, which is when I see sketches on U2 assuming referring to their apple deal and that aftermath to be out of place as it's out of time, especially in relation to other sketches. Sometimes the civil servant ones are hit and miss but think they when they don't overstate the joke, (or elude altogether) got better. The court report ones I never really got but the seagull one I liked that. I suppose lots of great jokes get lost because of legal minefields but I hope it won't stop them in the run up to GE 2016 since they weren't around in this form for 2011. At the very least I'll be expecting Renua jokes to crop up, next week since the parody facebook page has done well.

kn wrote: »

Nothing wrong with "making it up on the day" (= topical) but only if it's funny which, mostly, it isn't.

yea i didn't really find episode too much funny either. a few skits made my face change slightly but that is literally it. it is losing the appeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

The court report with the Seagull, Bono's Cousin was pure gold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement