Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most disappointing toys from your childhood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

anncoates wrote: »
    No, they're awesome.

But they never turn out as stylishly perfect as the blurb pictures.

Or maybe my technique is to blame.

Tiny bit of oil/butter on the plates and put butter on the inside of the sandwich.

make sure you put sandwich in when its nice and hot (i wait that extra while after the light) when done add a nice bit of proper butter on top of it for that extra bit of awesomeness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

danniemcq wrote: »
    peeking into undies or smooth?

Both thinking about it. But when I wrote (like 2 seconds ago) I meant smooth I thought I was the only one avec ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Akrasia wrote: »
    My wife got some china dolls from an aunt when she was a girl but wasn't allowed to play with them in case they broke. When she was a teenager she drew goth makeup all over them in permanent marker and altered all their clothes so now they're pretty freakin badass :)

They'd be probably worth €100's as antiques if she left them alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Living out in the shticks was rare I got to get to go toy shop, had a bit saved up and when I got in I bought a toy wrestling ring. Got home and opened it and little did I know the wrestler action figures were sold separately.. for two months I had to use rolled up socks and pretend they were wrestlers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Tiny bit of oil/butter on the plates and put butter on the inside of the sandwich.

make sure you put sandwich in when its nice and hot (i wait that extra while after the light) when done add a nice bit of proper butter on top of it for that extra bit of awesomeness.

Firing up that mother now.

Cheese and onion toastie here I come.

• Advertisement

Maphisto wrote: »
    Both thinking about it. But when I wrote (like 2 seconds ago) I meant smooth I thought I was the only one avec ...

Must have been awful confusing looking at action men

Firing up that mother now.

Cheese and onion toastie here I come.

I used to have sugar in mine, just butter and sugar. jeez i'm fierce hungry now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Must have been awful confusing looking at action men

Welcome to my world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I thought you butter the outside of the bread in the sandwich toaster?

Oh God they're so awesome I might just get out of bed for one.

I used to have sugar in mine, just butter and sugar. jeez i'm fierce hungry new

A mate of mine in school used to love sugar sambos. Classic 80s Dublin fare :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm having a toasted sandwich tonight.

mauzo! wrote: »
    I thought you butter the outside of the bread in the sandwich toaster?

Oh God they're so awesome I might just get out of bed for one.

If the outside has butter it makes it wile soggy and can do more harm than good so a light coating on the plates is all you really need.

With the butter on the inside only you get the crunch on the outside and a lovely soft middle

Well thats what i find anyway
    A mate of mine in school used to love sugar sambos. Classic 80s Dublin fare :)

Food Hack: if you ever have a banana sandwich sprinkle some sugar on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

I'm having a toasted sandwich tonight.

is that a euphamism involving two black women?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Gambas wrote: »
    Scalectrix.

Always wanted a set, but never got one. Until I was a parent and I bought it 'for the kids'. Very disappointed.
    It was better in the 1980s

My father bought us a set that had 4 lanes and the proper little cars. It was awesome. the cars had lights on them and we set up the barriers with little reflective stickers and drove around in the dark with the curtains drawn. Half the fun was making your own tracks with hills and going under furniture and stuff.

I was looking at a modern Scalectrix set recently for and the quality was nowhere near as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

This creepy ass toy phone on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Stretch Armstrong.

Food Hack: if you ever have a banana sandwich sprinkle some sugar on it too.

thats the thing I thought of when he mentioned sugar sandwiches (dafuq :confused: )

use to be mad for them when a kid :cool:

What you wanted is this beast

The Tyco RC Python (stupid name when you see what it does)

Looked like a normal RC car and was really fecking good, great speed fairly bullet proof but with the press of a button it opened up to reveal a snake that would shoot water (ya know like a spitting cobra, not a fecking python)
    images below and pretty sure i have one down home, must check now this weekend
    I always wanted one of those :(

We had a porsche 911 'remote' controlled car with the string (not radio controlled). My dad decided it was too slow so he jammed in some D batteries when it was only supposed to take C batteries. The car took off like lightning and we ran around chasing it for about 3 minutes until the motor totally burnt out.

It was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

My older sister got a torch with no bulb and it just vibrated when turned on. Rubbish, she just put it under her matress and left it there. She used to try to get it to work every now and then and just groaned when it wouldn't light up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

A yo-yo. Fúckin pointless piece of shyte. "Oh look it's going down. Oh wait a sec, yep it's comin back up!!, ah crap it's slowing down, no wait, it's going back down again!!!!, what an age we live in!".

• Advertisement

They'd be probably worth €100's as antiques if she left them alone!

Life's too short for antiques

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

MS.ing wrote: »
    is that a euphamism involving two black women?

It wasn't... but it might be now!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

GerB40 wrote: »
    A yo-yo. Fúckin pointless piece of shyte. "Oh look it's going down. Oh wait a sec, yep it's comin back up!!, ah crap it's slowing down, no wait, it's going back down again!!!!, what an age we live in!".

Clearly you never had a 50p piece knocked from above your ear by a Coca-cola galaxy spinner.

This creepy ass toy phone on wheels.

What a shitload of fuck!
    In fairness it is aimed at ages 6 to 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

This.

And subbuteo as well.

Totally looked better on TV.

The sandwich toaster of the toy world.

You take that back. Sandwich toasters are glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Then there is the special; category of very disappointing, followed by the light bulb moment.

Top of he list, the hand held magnifying glass.

3 minutes of excitement followed by crushing boredom. Until some sunny day you realise that you can burn paper and leaves. And ants. And your friends hand when he isn't paying attention :)

another one for radio controlled car that wasnt actually one

having a cable is the deal breaker, but only going in a straight line was just taking the piss. fuch u terminology :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Akrasia wrote: »
    In fairness it is aimed at ages 6 to 18 months

no wonder i found it so ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

A chocolate making set. It was disgusting.

Wasn't too impress with Bop-It either.

I loved dolls and Barbies though, my friend and I loved making up crazy soap opera stories for them :D

• Advertisement

Gambas wrote: »
    Clearly you never had a 50p piece knocked from above your ear by a Coca-cola galaxy spinner.

What marketing person managed to somehow make them a craze in the 80s.

I even sent away for the Galaxy one, or whatever the one was that you saved tokens for.

Advertisement