Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

in Roscommon, so I think enisskillen would prob b closer, hit it via Sligo, just waiting to find out if any of the shops are 24hr opening. bit of a nite owl so that would take the sting out of it. Hate shopping with a vengance:mad:

Asda open 24 hrs Monday 8 am to saturday open Sunday 1 to 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

But remember you can't by any alcohol after 11pm til the following morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

thanks. Thats gona make it an awful lot easier

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hiob

Is it worth to go up north for lcd tv? Cheers lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Hiob wrote: »
    i'd say so, compare the price on argos.ie versus argos.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Defintley. Try Richer Sounds, Currys, Argos etc websites to compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

just spotted this

need a beer fridge
    looked at the argos catalogue here
    cat no
    270/1888

this item costs 169euro here

up north
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...&Submit=GO+%3E

yet another rip off here

Aldee84 wrote: »
    Yes good on ya, save yourself a few bob. I have been going up to Belfast for years even before the rate has gotten so good like now and always found great bargains and come home with my big boot full of clothes etc and backseat full of groceries from Sainsburys Lisburn on way back. I dont know where you are from but if its Dublin I would recommend Lisburn its straight up the m1 all the way and it only takes just over an hour. I live in Meath beside Drogheda and did Belfast last night @ 7pm in an hour and 10mins, great roads except for a few road works on the dual carraigeway

im going to eniskillen for the first time in a week
    and was wondering
    there is no sainsburys there
    am i missing something there?
    should i go further afield so i have sainsbury and asda?
    or will asda and tesco fill all my booze needs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Aldee84

mailburner wrote: »
    im going to eniskillen for the first time in a week
    and was wondering
    there is no sainsburys there
    am i missing something there?
    should i go further afield so i have sainsbury and asda?
    or will asda and tesco fill all my booze needs?

No tesco and asda should fill ur boozing needs.I did head though tesco closing down in enniskillen now don't "quote" me n it now. I just prefer retail therapy for clothing in Belfast city centre for the day and do sainsburys lisburn n way back. It really does depend n where u live as to where u go. If you are In Dublin or further up east coast I think lisburn. The sainsburys in newry I give up on as it's too small busy and selection not as good as that is where all people from south go as it is right on the border

• Advertisement

Aldee84 wrote: »
    No tesco and asda should fill ur boozing needs.I did head though tesco closing down in enniskillen now don't "quote" me n it now. I just prefer retail therapy for clothing in Belfast city centre for the day and do sainsburys lisburn n way back. It really does depend n where u live as to where u go. If you are In Dublin or further up east coast I think lisburn. The sainsburys in newry I give up on as it's too small busy and selection not as good as that is where all people from south go as it is right on the border

cheers
    im in galway so id say itll be eniskillen for me
    unless theres somewhere better not too much further afield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Sky News are today reporting that Britain will reduce VAT by 2.5% to 15% in the forthcoming budget. This will make shopping in Northern Ireland even cheaper comparatively speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Just thought I'd add this for anyone heading to Sainsburys:
    Baileys 1L £10....
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/Great+offers/Big+brands/tasty_deals_19_nov_2008.htm?WT.svl=2&WT.seg_1=nav_secondary

johnfás wrote: »
    Sky News are today reporting that Britain will reduce VAT by 2.5% to 15% in the forthcoming budget. This will make shopping in Northern Ireland even cheaper comparatively speaking.

Great news for those of us who Shop Around :)

They were talking about reducing Duty on fuel too.

Lenihan is single handedly going to kill the country.
    You dont tax people out of the market and then ask then to examine their conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bulld

[mod edit] Bulld cop on or you will be banned from Bargain Alerts, you're entitled to your opinion but not entitled to abuse the other users of this board. Blade [/mod edit]

bulld wrote: »
    WOW I can not Believe the Idiots on this site, By going to the North to do your shopping you are putting money out of the country. When it is obvious to any asshole the country needs it. I cant believe the comments here

They are also keeping some money in their own pockets too by doing it.
    Why dont you ring revenue and offer them an extra 10% from your pocket. The country needs it. And it would be of more use than coming on here and talking ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Probably not if its the only thing you intend to buy. There is a good saving alright but you would get a good deal around Dublin too if you watch out for special offers.

In saying that if you intend doing other shopping then yes get your lcd up north.

WOW I can not Believe the Idiots on this site, By going to the North to do your shopping you are putting money out of the country. When it is obvious to any asshole the country needs it. I cant believe the comments here
    You are entitled to your opinion the same as anyone else but calling us idiots and assholes is sufficient to get your ass kicked off this forum.

Unfortunately I dont moderate this particular forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I cant believe this idea, that is being used by several who seem to think they are cleverer than the sheep that trek up to the North. (there are a few on the consumer issues board also) So I think some people like build are missing the very basics behind the shopping in the North phenomenon. Its hardly rocket science, and its hardly anything other the bleeding obvious.

First thing first, people do not want to drive 90mins from Dublin to get their groceries. There is a HUGE market in Southern Ireland which business can tap into. People want to do their shopping as close to their home as possible. If the local company provides those goods at inflated prices for whatever reason, if there is a lack of meaningful competition between players in the market, the only way to get the message across is use a last resort like travelling a few hours to get groceries. It is SMART for the individual to shop in the north, of course assuming they have factored the petrol costs etc into their costs. The fact that allowing for fuel its still cheaper, says a lot.

If they business refuses to drop those prices, hopefully they will go out of business - losing jobs the retailer will say. They seem to think that these people will be permanently out of jobs. Because people do not want to travel 90mins for groceries, any business that can come in and access what is a huge market, treat their local consumer with respect, not see them as a sucker, and offer their produce at a fair rate, will succeed, and create gainful employment.

Bingo, people stop traveling to the north for their groceries, and the system works again.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

muffler wrote: »
    You are entitled to your opinion the same as anyone else but calling us idiots and assholes is sufficient to get your ass kicked off this site.

Unfortunately I dont moderate this particular forum.

hardly, he didn't personally abuse anyone and even if he did at worst it would be a ban from bargain alerts, not a site ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

cheers
    im in galway so id say itll be eniskillen for me
    unless theres somewhere better not too much further afield

I've driven that route, the roads aren't the best. :(
    Put some research into what route you are going to take

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Basically you are saying we should be good little boys n girls and do as we are told! Think for yourself and not others, we have the choice, still ,to spend the few quid we have left where we want, and your comments are only going to convince those who were on the fene about shopping up north to head there .... post haste.

copacetic wrote: »
    hardly, he didn't personally abuse anyone and even if he did at worst it would be a ban from bargain alerts, not a site ban.
    I should have said forum in the first sentence which I have now changed but if you have issues with this then take it to feedback.

You should know better.

I should have said forum in the first sentence which I have now changed but if you have issues with this then take it to feedback.

You should know better.

I should know better?

You just warned someone they would be getting a site ban on a forum that has nothing to do with you! Trying to bully someone off a forum because they disagree with you is shocking behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

CASE1:
    As i am in Navan, lads were saying EnnisK ASDA is cheaper and good. so, went there, left around 12 (its 4 weeks ago) on saturday, reached there 13:00, found the size very small. Went in and found everything not as cheap as i was expecting but yes, clothing is different in quality, tried some booze but was not very much impressed. Got bored and got out in half an hour. Decided to go to NEWRY..another hour and was in NEWRY, for some reasons could not go to sainsbury (Car sunroof malfunctioned) and return empty hand with subway meal :pac::pac:

Case2: On the way to IKEA very next week, spent day in IKEA, bought bunk bed, great quality, than straight to Sainsbury across the IKEA..near roundabout, bought E288 worth booze (Sol, Corona, Cobra, Bacardi) and some clothings, all toys were half price so bought few good ones. however, found few brand less than you find in NEWRY Sainsbury

Concluion: ASDA EnnisK is smaller, Sainsbury are better and cheaper. NEWRY SAINSBURY, (though packed) but has all the booze brand and more offers just beacuse NEWRY Sainsbury has the highest revenue of any sainsbury in the world (Irish Politicians..take a note,,this money could have been spent in EIRE...stop greed) and has more offers.
    One of my friend told me that ASDA in STRABAN is 4 times bigger in size than in EnnisK, so will try that.

Heading off to richersound and sainsbury next sat.

Conclusion

Just in case the Govt arent paying attention.

RIP-OFF REPUBLIC IS NOW IN COMPETITION WITH THE UK.

COMPETE.

And in case you want to take the easy way out and just tax us for shopping around, think of Europe as the competition authority.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiob

Probably not if its the only thing you intend to buy. There is a good saving alright but you would get a good deal around Dublin too if you watch out for special offers.

I compared price just yesterday by going to Harvey Norman, Currys, DID, PC World (for 50" & 52") and you can easily save Euro500-600 by buying in north. Also, they also include MPEG4 tuner so you will not need to buy an extra reciver whne EIRE goes to all digital.
    Richersound is by far the best and so as any shop in NORTH,
    just to note that Arogos.co.uk and currys north limits some big size to home delivery only. On the otherside Richer sound only charge 25 for delivery to south (no relation with richer sound) if you mention that you are boardies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

CH3OH wrote: »
    Just thought I'd add this for anyone heading to Sainsburys:
    Baileys 1L £10....
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/Great+offers/Big+brands/tasty_deals_19_nov_2008.htm?WT.svl=2&WT.seg_1=nav_secondary

Same product in the south is €24.99, thats €13 in the difference on a single bottle :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

muffler, you should know not to continue to take the thread off topic. Calling for a siteban is also not on. Back on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

You must be a fukking troll!!! Its our governments fault that people are shopping up north. When an economy has gone to sh!te you don't increase taxes and VAT, but our government did!!! The UK are lowering taxes and VAT to stimulate their economy. The UK plans on lowering VAT by 2.5% which will make shopping in the north even cheaper. HAPPY DAYS :D

http://money.aol.co.uk/tax-cut-plans-not-a-gamble/article/20081122231607198587155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

bulld must either be a government minister who is bricking it or a paid of member of the Dundalk chamber of commerce.

• Advertisement

In saying that if you intend doing other shopping then yes get your lcd up north.

Have to disagree, I priced a 52" at €2,399 in powercity, it cost €470 less in Currys. The same applies for most electrials I priced in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I don't have a car. Are the prices as good in Belfast city or would I be better off getting the train/bus to Lisburn or somesuch? Not going to bother with Newry.

Best thread on Boards imo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Without a car your options are limited. Could you not orangise a trip up with friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Confab wrote: »
    I don't have a car. Are the prices as good in Belfast city or would I be better off getting the train/bus to Lisburn or somesuch? Not going to bother with Newry.

Best thread on Boards imo :D
    You'll be grand on bus/ train, you can get out at newry, sprucefield or belfast, just depends where you want to go really, prices will be the same. I personally don't think newry sainsbury's is very good compared to the other ones.

personally,
    if was was earning 50k a year i probably wouldn't bother
    goin north...
    buy hey,
    im not
    so i'm northbound
    i'd prefer to keep the savings in my own pocket
    than pay over the odds here.
    Was in tesco galways two weeks back and 4 fusion
    blades were 16.99
    i left them there and got some in newcastle
    the following weekend.
    the same 4 blades cost £8 in morrisons
    Now, isn't that under 10euro?
    that's a disgrace imo
    I don't mind paying a bit more here
    I do mind paying a lot more

personally,
    if was was earning 50k a year i probably wouldn't bother
    goin north...
    buy hey,
    im not
    so i'm northbound
    i'd prefer to keep the savings in my own pocket
    than pay over the odds here.
    Was in tesco galways two weeks back and 4 fusion
    blades were 16.99
    i left them there and got some in newcastle
    the following weekend.
    the same 4 blades cost £8 in morrisons
    Now, isn't that under 10euro?
    that's a disgrace imo
    I don't mind paying a bit more here
    I do mind paying a lot more

is this the start of a bargain hunters poets corner?!?

Good points, the savings are so much that they are hard to turn down for any sensible person.

Bullds points are valid though, the consumer rush to the net and up north will have a major knock on effect for jobs here. Shops in Dublin will never be able to compete with prices up North with current cost differential on top of the VAT rate differences. So how to stop the cycle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

bulld you do realise of course that many of the bigger retailers in the South are in fact UK based and that in the wider arena of retail most of our non-foodstuff purchases are imported (and much of our branded foodstuffs too).
    Now with that in mind, most of the money that we spend in the South on consumables leaves the country anyhow, once Revenue has taken it's cut, overheads have been met and Irish staff have been paid.

Kindly explain to the people on this forum who you are so quick to brand as idiots, why they should pay 20-30% more on average on the exact same item, in most cases bought from the exact same company, by shopping in the republic.
    It has been catalogued in numerous threads on these and other forums over the last few years, the blatant rip off that has taken place on the Irish consumer for no other reason that that we all had too much money and that we're an island nation, largely dependent on imports; in other words that we were seen collectively as a market that would bear the inflated price.
    In a lot of those threads you'll see that the only reason many of us woke up and smelt the overpriced skinny latté, was due to our proximity to a slice of the UK market in NI.
    Even before the current economic downturn and the fall in £STG, prices were still cheap enough in the North to warrant making a few trips a year...Irish interests at the time, mainly along the border, would have noticed a decline in income and should have reacted accordingly and dropped prices...instead, as far as I could see, prices here in fact went up, and so more people started heading North...as word spreads of the savings to be made, the trickle becomes a steady flow, and of late a torrent.
    How can you blame people or worse try to make them feel guilty, about trying to make their euro go as far as they can? We already pay through the nose for everything else down here that isn't a consumable, we're taxed to the hilt through mainly secondary taxes and we do NOT receive value for money for the tax we pay (something that is becoming more and more apparent by the day).
    Listen, people aren't stupid...basic common sense will tell you that if you spend money in the UK that Irish revenue sees none of it, Irish retail workers see none of it and Irish retail business sees none of it...but the North has always been there...it's not like someone just set up shop over night with 30% price cuts. The market in the South has failed to react in the way that it should hvae...UK companies continued to impose excessive surcharges for items blaming the cost of doing business here (wages, VAT, taxes, rates, distribution, shoplifting and a whole plethora of other excuses).

Argos is just the one example I'm going to use here because I have recent direct experience of a huge% difference in the price of a delivered item, between my mate here in Dundalk and to a friend of his in Newry...they ended up buying a set of table and chairs and having it delivered to the address in the North, for the simple reason that they could either pay €100 more for the privilege of supporting "Irish" business, or they could get it for a more reasonable price (while Argos still makes their profit, pays their UK taxes and overheads and pays their local Northern Irish staff)

Dining table, 4 chairs, delivered by UK Argos store
    £180 + £6 delivery fee = (€226 at today's comsumer XE rate)

Dining table, 4 chairs, delivered by Irish Argos store (ex-Dublin)
    €290 + €30 delivery fee (€9 in Dublin area) = €320

So €226 UK or €320 IE (€300 if in Dublin: 70% of us aren't).
    Roughly 33-38.5%
    That's some hit to ask people to take, even back when we supposedly could afford it.

This is just one example...as someone who's done a lot of grocery shopping in the North over the past 3-4 years I have countless examples of the ludicrous differences for the exact same item selling in supermarkets across the border, none of which I can currently back up and at this stage I couldn't be bothered anyhow.
    TBH you're the only poster in this thread who comes across as being somewhat intellectually challenged, or perhaps downright foolish if you think that the Irish consumer should feel some level of gratitude towards companies who blatantly overcharge them or that they are in some way unpatriotic for wanting to try and save some money.
    The blame for all of this can not and should not be levelled at the hoi poloi...look more to blaming UK retailers and the policies of our elected representatives before you start slating the Irish consumer.

[edit] BTW just noticed on those 2 argos urls...the only thing I had to chnage was the .co.uk to a .ie...hey presto a nifty 1/3 of the price gets added on. David Blaine would be proud.

Was in the north last weekend
    Bought packet of 28 Chicken dippers (Birds eye) £1.59 in sainsburys. They were very tasty.

Girlfriend back from shopping in Dunnes today (basic provisions) but same packet of 28 chicken dippers €5.99

She felt it her patriotic duty to buy three packets.*

*She didnt.

good example Wertz, have a similar one with 'Mamas and Papas'.

Saving of over €350 buying a set of furniture from a shop in Newry rather than buying in Dublin. That isn't even in a sale, just their sterling prices v euro price. Exchange rate they use is shocking.

• Advertisement

Morgans wrote: »
    Bought packet of 28 Chicken dippers (Birds eye) £1.59 in sainsburys. They were very tasty.

Girlfriend back from shopping in Dunnes today (basic provisions) but same packet of 28 chicken dippers €5.99

*She didnt.

that's an amazing saving alone
    so 2eu approx for something
    that costs 6eu here
    Makes you wonder how they priced that one here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rotax

I bought a nice mattress up north fo 530 euro. The same mattress was on SALE here for 900!!

I asked yer man up north was he making any money on the sale. He said he was and that the retailers down south totally take the piss.

Recently I've gotten really choosey about who gets my money. I prefer to shop in small local shops especially ethnic ones. The owners are usually there so you get great service and value too. They want to do business. Tesco is not getting any more money out of me. The shops are filthy and not cheap and whats more you end up being the checkout person too! whats the story with that???

Time for the consumer to stand up!

One of the reasons we went up North last weekend was to help a friend who needed to collect fencing for a garden wall. He had knocked it down dong renovations. He got quotes of €1500, cheapest €1150 in Dublin and surrounding counties. Got a quote from some builders providers in Coleraine for £363. Needed to borrow a van which he did. Only extra was insurance for the weekend and petrol.

Again, he had a change of heart on the way up to Coleraine because of the overwhelming sense of patriotic duty that came over him once he passed Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

was thinking of going up to get the xmas shopping and get the young lad an xbox,after reading some of the price's up there compared to down here im definetly going up now

Morgans wrote: »

*She didnt.

The price difference on some items are truly amazing.

BIRDS EYE CHICKEN DIPPERS 100% CHICKEN BREAST

Tesco Republic - €6.19
    Tesco North - €3.74 (£3.14)
    Sainsbury - €1.86 (£1.57)

Not a big rocket science but just did a simple argos calculation.

www.argos.ie item number 559/1301
    Sanyo E875 8MP Digital Camera - Silver. €189.99

Now same thing on www.argos.co.uk same item number 559/1301
    UK price is GBP79.99 (XE conversion= Euro 93)

So, the total saving on 1 item = Euro 96
    beat that!!!

• Advertisement

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    Not a big rocket science but just did a simple argos calculation.

www.argos.ie item number 559/1301
    Sanyo E875 8MP Digital Camera - Silver. €189.99

Now same thing on www.argos.co.uk same item number 559/1301
    UK price is GBP79.99 (XE conversion= Euro 93)

So, the total saving on 1 item = Euro 96
    beat that!!!

can't beat that but this is still a big saver...
    was looking at argos last nite at this beer fridge

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001151&langId=-1&searchTerms=2701888&Submit=GO+%3E
    £89.99/107euro

Here its costs 169.99
    doesnt show up on argos.ie but its in the catalogue
    a saving of 63euro

Argos is an easy target here because you can view nearly all their stock on both region's websites....don't for a minute think that Argos are the only ones doing this or that they are even the worst example of overcharging.
    The grocery prices especially on brand leader items is frankly staggering when you cross the border...and it was before the fall in £STG and before you took further offers like BOGOF or similar into account.
    Drink and confectionery/biscuits were obviously always going to be more expensive down here due to duty and VAT on luxury items...but even after you take that on board, the prices are still inexplicably high.

BTW we might be loosing a lot of money over the border, but on the whole for most people a trip to the North isn't practical every week or month (especially if you don't have a car or access to one), so it's only those of us in border regions or with good mway access that can avail of the savings...for the majority of the country they are still faced with having to pay the Irish price for the goods they buy in a weekly shop. Companies are still creaming it, despite what the scaremongers would have you believe...if the groundswell continues though, we might see moves to try and pricematch...but I doubt it.
    Even Aldi and Lidl are at this carry on, although perhaps not to the extent that Tescos and Dunnes are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Wertz wrote: »
    Argos is an easy target here because you can view nearly all their stock on both region's websites....don't for a minute think that Argos are the only ones doing this or that they are even the worst example of overcharging.

Also when they out set prices every quarter when the exchange rate changes it throws it up a bit.

Yes that's a fair point, and it's one that also effects Irish retailers that have bought stock at the then higher £STG price...but on the other hand the recent falls in exchange rate has only made about 10-12% difference to the actual prices...the other 15-25% difference has been there all along...we just had too much money and access to easy credit to make us take notice of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just a quick comparison for champange (Lanson Black Label):

€41 (Tesco Ireland)
    €29.50 (Tesco NI)

28% dearer down here :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement