Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I do think he is a big loss given the changes to our panel since we won Sam back in 2013. We don't seem to have as many options up front now, as we had when people were raving about our embarrassment of riches up front.

Paddy Andrews - Hasn't been seen since much this year at all & is coming off a poor year.
    Alan Brogan - Who knows what's going on with him?
    Bernard - Injury prone
    Mannion - Away in China
    Kev Mc - Has had an iffy league campaign
    Rock - Contributes little from open play
    Kilkenny - Just back from a serious injury
    Costello - Too young and too slight to be an effective full forward for now, needs someone like O'Gara to win the dirty ball, coz he isn't going to win it himself.

Given all that, O'Gara is an invaluable target man inside & an ever present goal threat, that we can sorely afford to lose imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Ahh Eoghan :( Devastated for him, like others here I recognise he's a total defender magnet and has some bulk to him to be able to fend them off and offload - he wins that dirty ball. Massive loss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Huge loss for us. Huge. What he does often ain't pretty, but no one else wins dirty ball like him, no one.

Yeah inclined to agree with this. He wins a lot of scrappy ball. I think one of the problems people have with him is when he does win the scrappy ball he doesn't tend to feed it off too much and will take on a difficult score rather than holding it up or feeding it off. But he is a tough player and draws a lot of defenders and fouls. He'll be missed and speedy recovery to him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Definitely a big loss. He's very hot and cold but he does win a lot of ball. We'll miss him.

We could have serious problems getting scores vs ultra defensive teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Awful news, think he is a great player and vital to us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Heard this morning his brother Killian broke his ankle in the same game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Billy Mays wrote: »

Heard that too, he's just as big a loss for the U21s as Eoghan is for the seniors. Wishing the best of luck & a speedy recovery to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Jaysus, a truly awful match for the two of them :( Best wishes to Killian too on the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I heard Dessie Farrell looked at the pitch and told management not to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Id say O Gara is an awkward fcuk to mark big strong a little elbowy and aggressive. I think he's a loss not definite starter but good option to change things up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

He can be a game changer off the bench too, more so than Andrews, for example. IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Stoner wrote: »
    He can be a game changer off the bench too, more so than Andrews, for example. IMHO

When has he ever changed a game? Bar the goal against Tyrone which landed on his lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Anyone know if Ger Brennan is back on the panel for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Rochey18 wrote: »
    When has he ever changed a game? Bar the goal against Tyrone which landed on his lap.

Mayo in the league last year

Championship starting 15, my selection,

15_zpsouv29m2l.jpg

Not sure if I would pick O'Carroll in Full Back, I think he's been found out as being to slow & not great under a high ball but who else could play there?

Brennan would get my shout at Centre Back if he was back on the Panel & I would also have A. Brogan on the Bench now we know he's back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BlueSteele78

celticbest wrote: »

Brennan would get my shout at Centre Back if he was back on the Panel & I would also have A. Brogan on the Bench now we know he's back!

Has it been confirmed Alan Brogan is back?

Has it been confirmed Alan Brogan is back?

From what I've heard he is, the bigger question is when he'll actually be back...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

celticbest wrote: »
    From what I've heard he is, the bigger question is when he'll actually be back...

Yeah, I think the decision is being put off until the new addition to the family arrives (which is any day now) if not already.

If I was king for a day :

Cluxton

McMahon, O'Carroll, Cooper
    McCarthy, Small, O'Sullivan
    McAuley, Carthy
    Flynn, ABrogan, McCaffrey
    Connolly, Kilkenny, BBrogan

In reality playing with an inside 2 of Kilkenny & Brogan, Connolly at CF and Alan with a licence to roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Any season ticket holders that can't make the game care to donate a ticket for a mate. Will make sure it's scanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Mayo in the league last year

That's grand, only game I could think of as well was that one when he got 1-5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm a bit sick of seeing Cooper at corner back. He does a good job there but he's a far better wing back. It drives me mad seeing our corner backs drifting up the field. Also, ROC has to be full back.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the decision is being put off until the new addition to the family arrives (which is any day now) if not already.

If I was king for a day :

Cluxton

McMahon, O'Carroll, Cooper
    McCarthy, Small, O'Sullivan
    McAuley, Carthy
    Flynn, ABrogan, McCaffrey
    Connolly, Kilkenny, BBrogan

In reality playing with an inside 2 of Kilkenny & Brogan, Connolly at CF and Alan with a licence to roam.

Jesus. It's like waiting for a royal baby to be born at this stage. I know its the Brogans...but come on now. If we see Kay Burley lurking outside Holles St, at least we'll know we have lift off. :rolleyes:

Anywaze, I like that line up. Jack Flash in the half forward line makes sense on paper, but I dunno. If Gavin had that thought it mind, I think he should have been doing it sooner. It's not as easy a spot to play in, even though the likes of Alan Brogan, Flynn & Connolly make it look stupidly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Rory's one of the best full backs in the country and is generally excellent under a high ball. One of the first names on the team sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Rory's one of the best full backs in the country and is generally excellent under a high ball. One of the first names on the team sheet.

Rory on the sheet all day long and twice on sundays. His work rate is great and really competes on and off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Rory's fantastic. Lacks a bit of pace but finding a FB with no weaknesses is near impossible unless you have Neil McGee in your panel.

There's probably more positions up for grabs than I'd like at this stage. Still a bit annoying that midfield, #6 and corner back are a bit iffy. I'd like to see Connolly given a run at #11, Kilkenny and Rock haven't blown me away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Actually think O'Carroll is quite quick off the mark. Certainly outpaces forwards to the ball with great frequency.

Think we have options in attack and defence but personally i'd prioritise picking three half backs who know their jobs (McCarthy, a fit Brennan, Cooper).

COS has a huge amount of football in him but he's a bloody good corner back. Best use of our pool for me.

My spies tell me Ger B is out for another while yet. Had another surgery recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Dublin team:
    1. Stephen Cluxton (Parnell’s)
    2. Philip McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams)
    3. Rory O’Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes)
    4. Eoin Culligan (Kilmacud Crokes)
    5. John Cooper (Na Fianna)
    6. John Small (Ballymun Kickhams)
    7. Jack McCaffrey (Clontarf)
    8. Denis Bastick (Templeogue Synge Street)
    9. Tomás Brady (Na Fianna)
    10. Paul Flynn (Fingallians)
    11. Diarmuid Connolly (St Vincent’s)
    12. Ciarán Kilkenny (Castleknock)
    13. Kevin McManamon (St Jude’s)
    14. Dean Rock (Ballymun Kickhams)
    15. Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Decent team. Glad to see Small back. I wonder if he'll bring in another ball winner up front?
    I wonder if he's thinking of McHugh a year early, I know he's not an OGara but with no mannion, OGara and with A Brogan not a certainty we might need a different option up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    J.............Anywaze, I like that line up. Jack Flash in the half forward line makes sense on paper, but I dunno. If Gavin had that thought it mind, I think he should have been doing it sooner. It's not as easy a spot to play in, even though the likes of Alan Brogan, Flynn & Connolly make it look stupidly easy.

Ah yeah agree 100% on having to learn the role - and I suppose him coming on at HF in the OBC against Meath seems to have been a false dawn. In saying that part and parcel of the HF role on the defensive side is covering the channels something he's well used to. It's probably a missed opportunity this year but I still hold hope that there's a HF in the making - he does seem to be quite a decent scorer when in position to do so
    corny wrote: »
    COS has a huge amount of football in him but he's a bloody good corner back. Best use of our pool for me.

Yeah I was betwixt and between Cooper/COS in the corner for my preferred 15 above .. would be interested your thoughts on the man to partner MDM in the middle ?
    Stoner wrote: »
    Decent team. Glad to see Small back. I wonder if he'll bring in another ball winner up front?
    I wonder if he's thinking of McHugh a year early, I know he's not an OGara but with no mannion, OGara and with A Brogan not a certainty we might need a different option up front.

I think if we're looking to a like for like replacement i.e a big ball winning FF, we have to look to either Kilkenny or Andrews - The problem with both at the moment for one reason or the other neither is operating particulalry well - Andrews lack of form and Kilkenny taking time to get back to full fitness. If the Tyrone game is anything to go by it appears as tho Gavin prefers Kilkenny in with Bernard, while Andrews was named in the forward line he reverted to that roving role - and being whipped off @ HT wasn't encouraging

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement