Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Just registered here to say thanks to the 4hr pacers- i ran and finished with them and the clock was reading 3.59.59 (i kid you not) as i crossed the finish line-now THATS pacing . Thanks guys:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

4 stars (good)
    jonny99 wrote: »
    Just registered here to say thanks to the 4hr pacers- i ran and finished with them and the clock was reading 3.59.59 (i kid you not) as i crossed the finish line-now THATS pacing . Thanks guys:)

Hope you enjoyed the in flight entertainment jonny, was a great day. Glad you got under the 4h with us, me and Meno get an extra pint for that now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Mick Rice 2:59:40. 3 hr pacer supreme.

He certainly didn't have this crew with him when he went by me again at 26 miles...

1634429848134651854_18d1e46b-0695-49e4-a00f-28d1cb6aecd4_w.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    He certainly didn't have this crew with him when he went by me again at 26 miles...

1634429848134651854_18d1e46b-0695-49e4-a00f-28d1cb6aecd4_w.jpg

You're absolutely right:
    IMG_3459.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

3 stars (average)
    You're absolutely right:
    IMG_3459.JPG

Note the missing balloon in second pic, there's probably 25 people following the balloon past Fermoy as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

4 stars (good)
    Hi, I had a great day.Improved from D.C.M 3.36 to 3.21 today. I didnt hit the wall and sprinted over the line. It was great to see bottles at the water stops instead of cups. Cant wait for the next one. Great day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Midlands Half Marathon

Great day today and great atmosphere. Well done to all the runners, pacers and the organisers. We were the last water station on the route, busy as it was....it was still very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

3 stars (average)
    If anyone got a link to any more pics please post. Thanks Found this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/freckledpast/sets/72157626897431976/

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vivario

4 stars (good)
    Tommorow i will add over 1000 photos to http://newphotostyle.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

3 stars (average)
    Well done all, was delighted with the weather and the 1/2M course, great organisation. Loadsa water and even orange slices at a few places , great stuff. The running conditions were perfect for a pb, managed a 1.42 .
    Onwards and upwards !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Big thanks to the 3:30 pacers who got me home in 3:29 for my first marathon - Cheers lads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Probably be tomorrow night before I have all my pics up and sorted... This work stuff gets in the way!! (Big thank you to my boss for letting me disappear for half the day..)
    I'll have a link on Racepix365 and prob CorkRunningBlog.
    Almost 2,000 pics there though before I start the cull - I feel a long night coming on! - Taken at Merchants Quay, Halfway Marker and just over the bridge at 25mls. (Next to the singer..)

Well done to everybody that took part..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

4 stars (good)
    Brilliant day and an excellent race. Sign me up for next year already :)

All boards folks we heard of seem to have done pretty well. Thrilled with the performance of the Vaggababes :cool:

I have an exceptionally long race report on my log as I wrote it on the train on way home to pass time.

3 stars (average)
    Brilliant day and an excellent race. Sign me up for next year already :)

All boards folks we heard of seem to have done pretty well. Thrilled with the performance of the Vaggababes :cool:

I have an exceptionally long race report on my log as I wrote it on the train on way home to pass time.

link ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Dukie wrote: »
    Big thanks to the 3:30 pacers who got me home in 3:29 for my first marathon - Cheers lads :D

Well done Duke....good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    My target time was 4hours or less but then this was my first marathon :pac:

Official finish chip time is 4:34:16.

Legs started to seize up big time at 28km mark prior to this happening I had stayed with the 4hour pacers without a problem and felt fine during that entire time, after the legs started to seize up anytime I ran my HR went crazy and I had to stop again to walk, extremely frustrating experience!

Had tonnes of encouragement from numerous spectators and runners but still fell behind even the 4:30 pacers despite their encouragement which killed me even more :(

Still crossing that finish line was an amazing experience :)

I've already entered for Dublin so I;m going to do a better job on training for that, I missed out on alot of training for Cork City due to stuff with the house (damn flooding!!) and a chest infection and I think its clear the affects that has had yesterday.

More on my training log

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

4 stars (good)
    rom wrote: »
    link ?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72616754&postcount=291

Its more all about me and my team, rather than the whole race experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

There's currently 2,500+ pictures on RacePix....

Cork Marathon Photos

There's no bib numbers assigned to them yet so please be patient - first step is getting them all up there. I still have another couple of hundred to go through and I think a few others will be adding more....

Enjoy!

I was the fella with the optimistic Garmin in the 3:30 group!
    Did anyone else's measure a bit long - I started the Garmin on the mat at the start (watch time same as chip-time) & I came in at 26.43 miles!

I noticed that I was way off after the 2 mile mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    Did anyone else's measure a bit long - I started the Garmin on the mat at the start (watch time same as chip-time) & I came in at 26.43 miles!

*sigh*

That's perfectly normal. My Garmin said 26.44 at the end, perfectly in line with every other marathon I've ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

*sigh*

That's perfectly normal. My Garmin said 26.44 at the end, perfectly in line with every other marathon I've ever done.

Also no Garmin will ever get Cork correct because of the curved tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

4 stars (good)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Also no Garmin will ever get Cork correct because of the curved tunnel.

Mine came in at 26.29, which is pretty accurate. But I wore a footpod with the tunnel in mind and kept to the racing line throughout.

I was amazed at the number of people who were totally ignorant of the racing line. The worst was going up the south link road just after the tool hire place (just before 17 miles) where lots of people were glued to the lefthand side of the road by the garage. They must have lost 20 metres on that stretch alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)

Yeah i said that to you at about 12 miles. It beeped .1 of a mile before mine. 26.4 is about right taking into account the tunnel and racing line ect:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

My garmin read 26.35. A bit shorter than last year. I stuck to the racing line religiously but I don't think it's ever possible to run the exact length - parked cars, footpaths, spectators crowding in, barriers and so on.

Still, a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

My garmin had 26.75 by the end! I was a good .4 off (ahead) after I came out of the tunnel, no idea what happened there. Didn't bother me too much on the day, still just curious as to how it happened though. I just stuck with the 3:30 pacers all the way so was grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

3 stars (average)
    Trying a second time to post this so short version.

Did the Half in 1.30.11, new PB by 4 minutes. Thrilled and surprised as left achilles was achy all week and only did 6 miles in the last 7 days. Never though i would get that close but we'll worry about it another day.

Liked the course alot, very fast course in my mind even with the hills, which are not the worse. Also passing runners is a great mental boost as you run along.

Half starts way too late, why not Marathon/relay at 9, Half at 10.30?

Amazed how many don't run the shortest route, on a twisty course it must add a good 2 or 3 minutes to your time.

Why are bikes allowed on the Mardyke river section? Very narrow section and had to pass 3 cyclists who were pacing relay runners, wobblying all over the road. What are the stewards doing as they are at each end of this section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Did the Half in 1.30.11, new PB by 4 minutes. Thrilled and surprised as left achilles was achy all week and only did 6 miles in the last 7 days. Never though i would get that close but we'll worry about it another day.

Nice job man.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    Back from Cork this morning since I'm not into work till 4.30....Legs are sore and aching a bit but nothing a few days rest won't sort.

Finished in 3.47 so happy enough since I've missed so much training due to injuries. I always love this course, the first 17miles are an absolute pleasure, although 19-21 have some killer drags when the legs are tired...went out at around my normal 8minute miles but this was way too fast for my level of training this year so had to really ease up later on so as to get home running.

It shows how well it was run when people are really finding it hard to have anything to complain about..the weather was perfect, fantastic crowds, very well marshaled, plenty of water stations..seemed to be one every time i came around a corner, great course bar a few hilly miles but that cant be helped, announcer tried to call everyone's number as they crossed the line, large amount of medics about, and a very well measured course, 26.46m on my garmin which is normally what I get for a marathon.

Very well done to everyone who finished and achieved their goals and to everyone that was involved in organising and helping to run an excellent event.....roll on next year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

4 stars (good)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Did the Half in 1.30.11, new PB by 4 minutes.

Liked the course alot, very fast course in my mind even with the hills, which are not the worse. Also passing runners is a great mental boost as you run along.

Well done. Great time.

Those hills can be murder when they are between mile 17 and 22 in a full marathon. ;)

Great mental boost for the half marathoners, but can't have been much fun for people doing the marathon in 4:30 - 5:30. I wasn't too aware of the half marathoners, just saw the leader go through along the Mardyke and Lizzie Lee somewhere along Pope's quay. One of the half marathoners in 3rd or 4th place had to squeeze between me and the edge of the Mardyke bridge - I was going at 9:00/mile pace at that point (mile 25) and he must have been going at 3 minutes per mile faster, so it is a bit of an issue.

I'm not sure what the best solution is to having fast half marathoners literally colliding with much slower marathon runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    DC wrote: »
    I was amazed at the number of people who were totally ignorant of the racing line. The worst was going up the south link road just after the tool hire place (just before 17 miles) where lots of people were glued to the lefthand side of the road by the garage. They must have lost 20 metres on that stretch alone.

I noticed this as well especially at that point- we got the whole pacing group to drift left/right according to the shortest possible route. It was also very noticeable in the tunnel where people were hugging the (outside) right hand wall. As I said to the pace group, it's like running 400m on the track but going round in lane 4 instead of lane 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I noticed this as well especially at that point- we got the whole pacing group to drift left/right according to the shortest possible route. It was also very noticeable in the tunnel where people were hugging the (outside) right hand wall. As I said to the pace group, it's like running 400m on the track but going round in lane 4 instead of lane 1.

Absolutely amazed about the tunnel as well..I kept right up against the cones and had a clear run with nobody in front of me...I had visions of every one running against the cones as I entered the tunnel but most people must not understand the racing line:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

3 stars (average)
    Came in with 25mins off my dublin route at 3hr 54mins....its a challenging enough route but very well organised.

Decided to go out with the 3.45 pacers but lost them after the tunnel and mahon then plodded along at my own pace between 8.30min and 9.30min miles.
    Plenty water stations, good support and a nice medal / tee shirt.

Ended up in the sextant till closing time.... mighty night there - Sonya even popped in for a while.

Only one thing that I would suggest would be to have a better build up at the start. It just seemed a bit dull and thought that with 96FM that there would be a better build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    As posted already, delighted with my 3:43:12 time, 32 mins shaved from DCM, Race Report for anyone having trouble sleeping.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    Absolutely amazed about the tunnel as well..I kept right up against the cones and had a clear run with nobody in front of me...I had visions of every one running against the cones as I entered the tunnel but most people must not understand the racing line:rolleyes:

You were lucky, I couldn't move an inch from right up against the cones, was crowded in on all sides. The footpath to the right looked to be almost empty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

4 stars (good)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    Went to the Sextant but couldnt find any boardsies. Where are ye all hiding?

Found them later- was great putting faces and names to usernames:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭purrrfect1

Just watched RTE News announce Lucy Brennan as the women's winner - they're lucky Sergiu Ciobanu won the mens again so they got that right - must be picking up the results from the photos on the up to date official site!
    Gotta hand it to RTE.... Lucy Brennan didn't run this year.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    my only crib with the race was the mahon relay change!
    it was a complete bun fight i was doing the full and came thro with a group and was dodging kids and relayers waiting in the middle of the road for their team mates .
    i got shoved into the back of a guy and kicked his heal and hurt my toes, ran it off but could have been worse.
    There was literally people every where all over the road it was a mess
    anyone else feel the same?

elnino23 wrote: »
    my only crib with the race was the mahon relay change!
    it was a complete bun fight i was doing the full and came thro with a group and was dodging kids and relayers waiting in the middle of the road for their team mates .
    i got shoved into the back of a guy and kicked his heal and hurt my toes, ran it off but could have been worse.
    There was literally people every where all over the road it was a mess
    anyone else feel the same?

Yeah it was a bit like a mountain stage in the Tour de France alright:)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Red Belly wrote: »
    Taper Hell! Some advice/reassurance/common sense needed!

Slight twinge in my calf after a 10k training run last Thursday so decided to skip the scheduled 10-miler last weekend and just do a few easy jogs this week. Picked up some kind of nasty virus last Sunday, aches and pains, headache, felt feverish but no high temp. .... Given the week I've had should I scrap that and set a more realistic target, say 4:15, which would still be a PB for me? Or maybe I should go for it anyway? A virus could leave me in bits if it hasn't cleared my system so maybe I should DNS? But then again, the virus forced me to get an excellent week's rest before the race! What to do?

rb

There I was all worried about the effects of a virus when what I REALLY should have been worried about was that "twinge" in my calf! Started to come on from about three or four miles in and seized up on me between miles 9 and 10. Tried to stretch it out but every jogged step was like someone sticking a knife in me. Funnily enough, walking was pain free so I bit the bullet and decided I was going to finish the fecker anyway. At about mile 14 or 15 walking was starting to get sore too but I tapped into new reservoirs of sheer bloody-minded pigheadedness!

Very tempting to slope off back to the car at city hall when the course looped back into the city centre but kept walking. Jogged the last .2 to duck in under 6hours. This was only my 2nd marathon and the first (Dublin 2010) went exactly according to plan so I'm chalking it up as lessons learned and I'm still actually quite chuffed to have dug deep and finished despite everything. A smashing course and great weather (if I hadn't been injured I wouldn't have got caught in the rain!).

Mind you, when the soreness eases off, and I visit the physio, and I know how much time I'm likely to spend on the sidelines maybe I'll feel differently!

Well done everyone! Sound like some of you had great runs.

rb

• Advertisement

My garmin had 26.75 by the end! I was a good .4 off (ahead) after I came out of the tunnel, no idea what happened there. Didn't bother me too much on the day, still just curious as to how it happened though. I just stuck with the 3:30 pacers all the way so was grand.

Agree with you there. Dont care how long the garmin measured as long as I have the t-shirt and medal!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vivario

4 stars (good)
    As i said yesterday,
    http://newphotostyle.com/ Upload is still in progress. Finally should be 1.5k+
    2.jpg

3 stars (average)
    mine measured 26.46 and i ran the rcing line 90% of the race i noticed the distance jump out of the tunnel as expected but i think the distance was mostly gained in the first 3 miles before the field spread out.
    i was .1 out by the first mile it was busy in the 4hr section and couldnt get to the racing line much for the first three defo where i gained a bit of distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Congrats to everybody on Cork. I've been reading the reports with interest. For anyone who has done both how would you think that Cork compares to Dublin in terms of the course? Is it faster/slower, flatter/hiller etc.? I'm considering it for next year.

P.S. Even forgetting about tunnels Garmin's aren't 100% accurate. They're plenty good enough for training though!

3 stars (average)
    I Really struggled with the steep down hill bit there at the end of the model farm road i think it was (22.5ish)!
    jarred my knee going down it trying to slow myself down had to go easy for 2 miles to make sure i finished before the crowd acted as a pain killer for the last mile.
    anyone else have trouble there? i was great untill there

any advice for those downhill steep bits?

4 stars (good)
    elnino23 wrote: »
    I Really struggled with the steep down hill bit there at the end of the model farm road i think it was (22.5ish)!
    jarred my knee going down it trying to slow myself down had to go easy for 2 miles to make sure i finished before the crowd acted as a pain killer for the last mile.
    anyone else have trouble there? i was great untill there

any advice for those downhill steep bits?

Don't try to slow yourself down :D Let gravity do all the work.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Clearlier wrote: »
    Congrats to everybody on Cork. I've been reading the reports with interest. For anyone who has done both how would you think that Cork compares to Dublin in terms of the course? Is it faster/slower, flatter/hiller etc.? I'm considering it for next year.

P.S. Even forgetting about tunnels Garmin's aren't 100% accurate. They're plenty good enough for training though!

I'd say that Cork is a bit flatter. We were blessed with the weather yesterday so there were plenty of crowds and support. That said there are still a lot more runners and support in Dublin. Overall they are pretty similar in terms of easiness in my Opinion.

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't try to slow yourself down :D Let gravity do all the work.

I wouldnt of made the bend at speed at that point :D

3 stars (average)
    Another vote for no bikes. People on the bikes that had never ran a race crossed my path a few times. I also saw one fool at the 1/2 start going full speed weaving in and out of people. Gardai should be instrusted to send the bikes back the way they came to stop it increasing next year. People thinking its ok to cycle fast (like they are in a race) through realy change-over points. I have no issue with bikes only that there is a few bad apples that don't understand that the runners take priority in the race and they should not intimidate them or cycle close to them in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

4 stars (good)
    Cork was my 4th marathon. Ran 3:03:38 in DCM 2010 so had aspirations of 3:00. Training went well enough maybe not as much mileage as DCM last year but still felt in good nick. Started off with the 3:00 pace group :eek: and held on until just before the halfway mark, 1st half 1:29:59!! Then the wheels fell off!! Last 10 miles were torturous but didn't stop just 'shuffled' on and finished in 3:18. Just wasn't firing.

Thought the crowds were great in Cork from the local support to the relay runners waiting for their leg.

Also have to give huge credit to the pacers, especially Mick Rice, the lone ranger at the end! Also to 3:15 pacers who tried to get me to hang on to their coat tails as they passed me around the 24 mile mark. Not to be but thanks anyways.

Well done to everyone, the pain in the legs will subside.....I hope!

All in all found the event very well organised. As I finished I was thinking never again but now I'm thinking what I should change for DCM '11!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thanks Meno.

Just had a look at the website and it seems that bikes were banned from the course. Sounds like it wasn't enforced though. Bad news is that the writer on the website perpetuates the dangerous myth about drinking. Odd that it goes from great advice about walking at water stations to ensure you can drink properly to suggesting that you drink even after your thirst is quenched.

Elnino - You could try practicing running downhill. There's a particular technique required. Best session for this is Kenyan hills (same effort up and down). I'm sure youtube will have some tips but if you've ever snowboarded it's the same principle about leaning forwards and down the hill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement