Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I just got an Amazon Fire TV Stick from the US on eBay and registered it with my amazon.co.uk account. There are a couple of apps that I wanted to use on it and which are available in the UK (TuneIn Radio, Mubi) that don't seem to be available here. I wonder if I can't see those apps because I'm coming from an Irish IP or because there's an Irish billing address associated with my account?

If I tried unregistering the device, setting up unlocator, and then registering again (with .co.uk account) would I be able to access UK apps?

No apps are supposed to be available here because the Fire TV is not available on the Irish market and many apps monitor your ip address. TuneIn radio should be available. With the Fire TV stick using a VPN like Unlocator is almost an essential. At only 5 dollars a month after the 7 days trial it's probably the best 5 bucks you ever spend and I've been using them since they let some of us use it as beta testers for 24 months a few years ago, and I've been paying for it for the last 2 years, really happy with the service, especially for getting the best apps for the Fire Tv and accessing US Netflix content. With all those apps you mention, if you don't use Unlocator, you can always just sideload the Android version on via ADB by pulling the .apk file from the net and they'll work perfectly over here. The Amazon App store on the Fire TV isn't Ireland friendly as they haven't made it available here and I don't think they plan to in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

What channels are available on the Apple TV in Ireland unofficial though it is? Even without access to the Amazon prime stuff this seems a better buy than a Nexus Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

AppleTV has no app store only what Apple allows so it's more limited for less mainstream stuff.

The official Android TV devices like Google Nexus and Nvidia Shield are only available in USA, you can import but will need smart DNS or VPN to really use them in any capacity, same deal as FireTV.

I have a FireTV and it's pretty nice all things considered, I used overplay's smart DNS service to make it work as the UK model, one thing which confused me and wasn't really explained all that well was how to handle an existing Amazon account and make it work with fireTV, changing country local in manage my devices did nothing so what you have to do is;

1) Add a genuine UK address to your address manager in Amazon account settings
    2) Remove your Irish payment and address (this makes UK address default and for one click)
    3) Change country region to UK in manage my devices
    4) Add back your Irish payment system and use the alternate billing address option so UK address remains default

The FireTV will now allow you to purchase items from within it's UI.

Word is new FireTV model is coming soon, stock is being cleared out across Amazon supported countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

New FireTV announced with 4K support and 'alexa' voice assistant. Pre-orders up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UH2O6T2/

New Stick with voice...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010EGG63O/

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

If you have kodi sideloaded on the AFTV, can you control the music being played with an android app on the same network? e.g browsing music from the kodi library and controlling with the phone.

I don't want to turn on the TV, and start up kodi, browsing via the tv to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Is the de-reg and reg to start using it.

I got a device that already has Kodi istalled etc, do i still need to follow the reg process outlined in previous posts?

What is the registration for? Is Smart DNS still required for device? How can i tell if UK or US? I presume its UK as it says "BBC" on the back :)

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Is the de-reg and reg to start using it.

I got a device that already has Kodi istalled etc, do i still need to follow the reg process outlined in previous posts?

What is the registration for? Is Smart DNS still required for device? How can i tell if UK or US? I presume its UK as it says "BBC" on the back :)

No, it isn't necessary to de-register unless you want to change regions from US to UK for example. Registering it is only needed for new ones, but I assume yours has been activated by the previous user if Kodi is installed on it. Registration allows you to buys apps from your Amazon account, like premium apps, or to change country regions to get region exclusive apps. Changing regions and registering and de-registering only takes a minute anyway. Changing regions temporarily is a great way to get new apps exclusive to a region, like Hulu or Smithsonian on the US region, so you will have apps from various regions. Kodi will works regardless of the region registration. Smart DNS is still required for most apps as it's still not licensed for sale in Ireland so technically it's not supposed to be used here. Netflix, Kodi etc. don't need VPN, smart DNS etc. I'd advise you to de-register and register onto your own account so it fully becomes your own and will allow you to buy premium apps etc. from your Amazon account. you won't lose downloaded apps so long as you deregister properly as described by Amazon herehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201624360 (these steps can be used to simply change accounts to your own too). Just change your default, 1-Click address to a UK/US address on the respective Amazon website to register it for a chosen region, i.e. Parcel Motel's UK address.

I hope you didn't get ripped off by Ebay sellers charging ridiculous prices for Kodi installed as it's dead easy to install.

If you have kodi sideloaded on the AFTV, can you control the music being played with an android app on the same network? e.g browsing music from the kodi library and controlling with the phone.

I don't want to turn on the TV, and start up kodi, browsing via the tv to play.

The music runs through the TV so I don't know how you could play anything via the Fire TV without the TV being on.

degsie wrote: »
    New FireTV announced with 4K support and 'alexa' voice assistant. Pre-orders up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UH2O6T2/

New Stick with voice...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010EGG63O/

The SD card expansion is the highlight here.

Fire TV (2015) down to £65 on Amazon UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

Fire TV (2015) down to £65 on Amazon UK.

Amazon.de have it for €84.99, do they deliver here through PM or PW?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

loughrey wrote: »
    No, it isn't necessary to de-register unless you want to change regions from US to UK for example. Registering it is only needed for new ones, but I assume yours has been activated by the previous user if Kodi is installed on it. Registration allows you to buys apps from your Amazon account, like premium apps, or to change country regions to get region exclusive apps. Changing regions and registering and de-registering only takes a minute anyway. Changing regions temporarily is a great way to get new apps exclusive to a region, like Hulu or Smithsonian on the US region, so you will have apps from various regions. Kodi will works regardless of the region registration. Smart DNS is still required for most apps as it's still not licensed for sale in Ireland so technically it's not supposed to be used here. Netflix, Kodi etc. don't need VPN, smart DNS etc. I'd advise you to de-register and register onto your own account so it fully becomes your own and will allow you to buy premium apps etc. from your Amazon account. you won't lose downloaded apps so long as you deregister properly as described by Amazon herehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201624360 (these steps can be used to simply change accounts to your own too). Just change your default, 1-Click address to a UK/US address on the respective Amazon website to register it for a chosen region, i.e. Parcel Motel's UK address.

I hope you didn't get ripped off by Ebay sellers charging ridiculous prices for Kodi installed as it's dead easy to install.

Great advice.

I saw after that it was as easy as Rooting and Abd to install Kodi but was made out online as really difficult, which after watching youtube it wasnt.

I paid 70 on adverts for it :) Not too shabby!

P.S. KODI and the device are class!!! unreal wireless streaming and every movie possible in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 conor 68

just ordered amazon fire tv 4k,got it for €90,from littlewoods ireland.
    i have an amazon uk account but with irish address etc.
    it wont be registered to any amaz account yet,so wondering should i set up a fake uk account and use this from the start.
    ill be sideloading kodi etc anyway but the app store etc would also be brill,
    if anyone has a guide for what to do that would be great,
    cheers..

conor 68 wrote: »
    just ordered amazon fire tv 4k,got it for €90,from littlewoods ireland.
    i have an amazon uk account but with irish address etc.
    it wont be registered to any amaz account yet,so wondering should i set up a fake uk account and use this from the start.
    ill be sideloading kodi etc anyway but the app store etc would also be brill,
    if anyone has a guide for what to do that would be great,
    cheers..

No need for a fake account, it'll work fine with your current account. BTW it comes up as €110 on littlewoods, is there a discount code?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 conor 68

no discount code,bought it last night ,checked my card after and it said €90 debited.
    must of changed price today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

has anyone figured out how to get the remote app on your phone for the fire stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Seve OB wrote: »
    has anyone figured out how to get the remote app on your phone for the fire stick?

What do you mean? The remote app works with both the stick and the box - you just select the device you want to use it on and pair it.

Yea but it won't allow me to download it as I'm not in the uk.

Can change my store on the iPad to uk, but it still won't allow me download it.

Can't find it on the play store either for my Htc phone.

How did you get it to download?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yea but it won't allow me to download it as I'm not in the uk.

Can change my store on the iPad to uk, but it still won't allow me download it.

Can't find it on the play store either for my Htc phone.

How did you get it to download?

If you change your details on your account to a UK address and use the UK app store on amazon you can download the app on your PC and opt from there to send it to your firestick. That's worked for me with geoblocked apps like BBC player anyway.

Sorry, missed the reply. You can search for the direct download link rather than going through the Play Store app on your phone. Don't know about iPad.

Search for "Amazon fire remote app apk' and you'll find a host of sites that'll let you download the file. Then just install it from your downloads. Make sure unknown sources are permitted.

• Advertisement

Sorry, missed the reply. You can search for the direct download link rather than going through the Play Store app on your phone. Don't know about iPad.

Search for "Amazon fire remote app apk' and you'll find a host of sites that'll let you download the file. Then just install it from your downloads. Make sure unknown sources are permitted.

got it thanks
    will play with it later on

It's not great to tell the truth. Works okay navigating the main interface I guess but if you use it for playback control it can get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It's not great to tell the truth. Works okay navigating the main interface I guess but if you use it for playback control it can get messy.

It's ok when you get used to it. On Kodi I found the circular touch bit to be handy for stopping /pausing video etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is this still only available to UK and is it definitely worth purchasing?

Got recommended by two people lately

Nalz wrote: »

I use mine a good bit for Netflix

the odd time ive used it for kodi

I put some apps like tv3 and rte on it and they are useless.

good content if you have amazon prime, but you have to have a vpn also to use that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's a great box but I'm the same - only used for Netflix and Kodi. Are they doing deals on it this week?

Nalz wrote: »

It's the best streaming box on the market but won't ever be officially available here as Amazon Prime won't ever be available here. You'll always need Parcel Motel to get it. I use it for Kodi and Amazon Prime video, great for these. I've owned the 1st gen for 2 years now I upgraded to the 2nd gen. I've tried every streaming box on the market, from Google Nexus player, to the Roku series and none compare to the Fire TV

It's the best streaming box on the market but won't ever be officially available here as Amazon Prime won't ever be available here. You'll always need Parcel Motel to get it. I use it for Kodi and Amazon Prime video, great for these. I've owned the 1st gen for 2 years now I upgraded to the 2nd gen. I've tried every streaming box on the market, from Google Nexus player, to the Roku series and none compare to the Fire TV

A lot of people think that the Nvidia Shield is superior to the FireTV albeit a bit more expensive.

A lot of people think that the Nvidia Shield is superior to the FireTV albeit a bit more expensive.

It is but it's not within the Fire TV price range. Within its price range it's the best by far.

• Advertisement

It is but it's not within the Fire TV price range. Within its price range it's the best by far.

Indeed, but your post indicated that the FireTV was the best streamer on the market, period.

The 2nd gen FireTV offers even better performance but you can't get them here yet AFAIK.

Advertisement