Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed to Raw :-)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

stevoman wrote: »
    you dont see wolves or wild dogs eating veg in the wild so why give it to them.

My dog will drop what he's doing including eating a bone and run to the kitchen when he hears the masher being taken out which is why I give him potato lol! He begs for the other veg too so a little of what he fancies lol! :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think the idea behind giving them a wee bit of veg is to substitute what they're missing out on from not eating all the bits of carcasses that are generally taken out before we get to feed them to our dogs? Glands, spleens, pancreases (is that the plural of pancreas? :o) and other bits n pieces. The veg bit isn't essential, it just adds an extra bit of oomph.
    My understanding is that green tripe already contains many of the elements of veg in the green bit... that's why you give it to them green and unwashed. The green bit of it being from the vegetation the animal has been eating.. I think? Gotta say, the crew here just adore tripe! And as already posted above, they're just beside themselves with excitement about being fed now. Dry food never got them so enthused!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

imag1710.jpg

Watch your tripe this time of year!!

After a very wet summer, you can expect a surge in fluke and worm infestations in ruminants. Fluke spend their intermediate stage in a little snail that lives in the grass. These snails love / need wet ground. The wetter the better. Fluke look like tiny little pink slugs, about the size of a match head. Normally populating the liver, a separate sub species called Rumen Fluke can be found on rumen / tripe. See attached photo. Please check your green tripe this time of year and contact your supplier should you detect any. While lots of raw feeders simply wash them off, believing, correctly, that a raw fed dog has a much stronger constitution than a dry fed dog, it should be noted that worming your dog in Autumn / Winter is advised. Common juniper is great for fluke control though wormwood is by far the most successful natural wormer out there. Also good is pumpkin seed, simmer 500g of pumpkin seed in a pot for a period, reduce and filter mixture, drop on their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

I never even considered fluke. My tripe come from the factory so im hoping that the fluke would be spotted. Any good wormers out there to also prevent? I generally use the stuff in the yellow box, cant think of the name now.

Always try natural versions above first. If infested, go chemical. And there's never a time to use neuro-toxic flea drops. Better they have the fleas!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

DogsFirst wrote: »
    Always try natural versions above first. If infested, go chemical. And there's never a time to use neuro-toxic flea drops. Better they have the fleas!

Hmmm, whilst I'm delighted to see the raw food message gaining ground, I think the above is going to be a step too far for most owners tbh!

Fair point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

changed over to some tinned food (i know >:( ) for two days there as i wasnt able to get to the shop for veggies and chicken. THE SMELL off my puppies breath:eek:. Never again, its all pure muck.

straight back on chicken, rice , veggies etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Im such a bad person! Never took food out of the freezer for lexi last nite and nothing in the fridge I could give her. So no breakfast for her this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Im such a bad person! Never took food out of the freezer for lexi last nite and nothing in the fridge I could give her. So no breakfast for her this morning!

Leave it in a bucket of boiling water for a few minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I used to do that all the time when I first started. :o Now I just make sure that there are always sardines in the cupboard and eggs in the fridge so they at least have something in their bellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Tilly girl what breed is Lexi. Im getting more interested in RAW feeding but am looking at cost (I know it shouldnt be about that but ....) I think you said you paid about €5 per week but Im not sure what size dog you are feeding.

I have dipped my toe in water of RAW feeding by testing some K9 Nature food - its a dried raw food. The dogs loved it so have ordered some more but not sure if the price will be prohibitive to sustain it.

There's a few raw meat suppliers around now.You shouldn't be spending much more than €1.60/kg on fresh chicken / fish for your diet. As veg (in Lidl, €1.25/kg for green beans, peas, carrots) and a bit of whatever is lying around is much cheaper than that, your food bill for a 35kg dog should be around €1.40 a day. You just need to get your supply sorted. Get a chest freezer 15th hand and buy in bulk, <snip> fill it up with chicken, tripe, organs and fish, carcass (free), meaty bones (free), have tins of sardines around (39c) etc.

Mod note: promotion of your own services removed from post, as per the forum charter.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Inexile wrote: »
    Tilly girl what breed is Lexi. Im getting more interested in RAW feeding but am looking at cost (I know it shouldnt be about that but ....) I think you said you paid about €5 per week but Im not sure what size dog you are feeding.

She is a 14kg Staffie cross but I am trying to get a bit of weight on her so am feeding a little more, which isnt working by the way!
    You shouldn't be spending much more than €1.60/kg on fresh chicken / fish for your diet.

I dont have the room or money to buy a chest freezer so Aldi/Tesco is my only choice at the minute. Anywhere in Connaught I could buy it even slightly cheaper? Where do you get your sardines? I pay 55c in Tesco!

People are throwing out chest freezers when they move home. I've picked up three smaller ones for clients for under €30! Then filled them full of food and delivered them!!! Keep a close eye on done deal for house moves etc.

Lidl or Aldi for sardines - 39c! In tomato!!

Buckets of chicken for the staffie to bulk, fish won't do it at all! It's a great maintenance food, filler etc but for bulk you want to go a bit more heavy duty!

She gets mainly chicken with a fillet of white fish every second day. Can't seem to find oily fish cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Re the sardines in tomato. I've always bought the ones in sunflower oil because i thought tomatoes were toxic for dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

She gets mainly chicken with a fillet of white fish every second day. Can't seem to find oily fish cheap enough.

i notice your in galway , go to the docks and ask any of the trawlermen if they have spare fish to sell, i was in galway in july i went to thedocks and got 80 mackerel for free

Small amounts are fine, like garlic etc. Studies done on those foods are on high dose. Omega 6 in veg oil cancels all the goodness of the omega 3 in dogs. Makes them itchy. They have enough omega 6 from all the plant ingredients that they are eating in dry food plant ingredients. If you're trying to boost omega 3 (oily fish) you need to reduce omega 6 (plant oil). In water would be best but they're not available. Even brine is better (1% salt but that's still less than dry food salt inclusions)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

just been reading this thread and finding it very interesting and something i would like to start with my dog. can anyone recommend where i can find more information on this and I guess I should consult with my vet about switching to raw food also?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

http://www.vonlotta.com/diet.html I found this site useful, but there are many out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

People are throwing out chest freezers when they move home. I've picked up three smaller ones for clients for under €30! Then filled them full of food and delivered them!!! Keep a close eye on done deal for house moves etc.

Fair play to you, I'd spent a year looking for a chest freezer and ended up buying one.

fifib wrote: »
    I guess I should consult with my vet about switching to raw food also?

I didn't tell my vets, couldn't be bothered dealing with questions and being told I was likely to kill my dog through lack of knowledge. I just avoid mentioning what they eat unless I'm specifically asked. But that's just me, avoid a row if at all possible :rolleyes:

I didn't tell my vets, couldn't be bothered dealing with questions and being told I was likely to kill my dog through lack of knowledge. I just avoid mentioning what they eat unless I'm specifically asked. But that's just me, avoid a row if at all possible :rolleyes:

Plus, with the greatest or respects to vets, sometimes they are pushing certain food brands.

Plus, with the greatest or respects to vets, sometimes they are pushing certain food brands.

They do this all the time and its so frustrating.

Got 4 mackeral fillets in tesco for lexi. was gonna get whole fish but fillets were cheaper. How long do I need to freeze them for before I give them to her?

I don't freeze my fish at all before I give them to my lad, unless I want them to keep for a few days, then I just freeze and defrost as required ( usually from the night before)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

was gonna get whole fish but fillets were cheaper. How long do I need to freeze them for before I give them to her?

I think it's more important to freeze whole fish for at least a week to kill off any paracites. Not sure it's as much of problem in fillets, open to correction though. I think the paracites locate in the head of the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I would be careful about jumping into a raw diet without doing research. Alot of raw diets are really unbalanced and unhealthy because people think Oh Ill just give the dog meat and he'll be grand. That's a fast route to secondary parathyroid-ism.

Before anyone goes out buying loads of meat please research what a dog needs to have a balanced diet as you could end up doing more harm than good.

Irishchick wrote: »
    I would be careful about jumping into a raw diet without doing research. Alot of raw diets are really unbalanced and unhealthy because people think Oh Ill just give the dog meat and he'll be grand. That's a fast route to secondary parathyroid-ism.

Before anyone goes out buying loads of meat please research what a dog needs to have a balanced diet as you could end up doing more harm than good.

I think that's pretty solid advice, offal needs to be included, bone, fats, it's not just about giving a dog raw meat. But there's a lot of excellent sites available now that help tremendously.

I think it's more important to freeze whole fish for at least a week to kill off any paracites. Not sure it's as much of problem in fillets, open to correction though. I think the paracites locate in the head of the fish.

Oh, this, sorry Tilly Girl, I meant fillets too. I don't freeze fillets.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone! :-)

Advertisement