Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OAOB wrote: »
    The media are starting to respect us, nfl.com have us now ranked no.1.
    I don't think we're seen as legit superbowl contenders, we still haven't beaten a good team apart from the Seahawks.
    I'm confident we won't collapse this year unless injuries get completely ridiculous. I think it's going to come down to us and Broncos to decide who is AFC no.1, no other team has shown much

Heard that but I've always thought the 'power rankings' as a complete waste of time. They are only opinions. OK so some pundit thinks we might be the best team in the NFL... it's not like it is a fact until Feb in AZ.

But it is funny to hear San Diego I guess be mentioned. For my money if we were to play Denver 10 times on a neutral site right now I reckon they'd win 6. If we were to play Seattle it might be split 50:50.

I don't think we are world beaters yet. We're too banged up on O line to be ultra confident imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Meh I think Denver and Seattle would best us more then that.

We just need to continue with solid drafts and great additions through free agency like JJ Freeney and Flowers.

Ye be there or there abouts this year but. Getting guys healthy for the 2nd half of the year be huge.
    Make or break us.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Meh I think Denver and Seattle would best us more then that.

We just need to continue with solid drafts and great additions through free agency like JJ Freeney and Flowers.

Ye be there or there abouts this year but. Getting guys healthy for the 2nd half of the year be huge.
    Make or break us.

Would u put a team other than those 2 ahead of us were we to play them 10 times on a neutral site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

My own thinking is we're close but we have to beat a few more high ranked teams before we can be legitimate contenders. I can't forget the memory of how quick and easy the Seahawks drove the field against us, we played well that day but they have a lot more to improve on than we do

I just need to see more of this team, Jets, Jags and Bills are not up to much.

Seahawks game we played out of our skins.
    Arizona is a game I didn't see but seemed we let that slip.

I'd have us exactly where we finished last year one game outside the AFC championship game.

I'm just going to enjoy this team this year, feel we are short a big play maker on offence.

• Advertisement

I think we can get to the AFC Championship game, winning the West and getting home advantage in the divisional round would be huge so we have to beat the Broncos.

Maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves but this team has been excellent so far this year

Yeah I too think we are getting ahead of ourselves. Thing is the AFC has no really good teams outside of Denver. You could argue the Colts might do something esp with Luck firing on all cylinders. Rochey the AZ game was a gimme and we blew it.. we could be 5 and 0 but u know what if we'd beaten AZ what are the chances we'd have beaten Seattle the following week?

Like Liverpool last season, this is a Chargers season to be enjoyed it would appear.

I think we are missing a big play threat, a Percy Harvin sort of player.

A guy who can really stretch the field, if Royal stays healthy he could be that guy.

We can beat anyone, Denver and Indy would be big hurdles. I would be disappointed if we are not 6-1 going into the Thursday night game.

I think the 49ers game will tell us a lot more of where we are then the Denver game but, being a divisional rival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Only caught the 4th quarter as I was busy today.

Keenan Allen finally had a good punt return.
    Attochou was unlucky with the facemask fumble.
    Oliver is looking great
    Verrett with a great interception

Felt bad for Derek Carr. Looked very distraught.

Molly wrote: »
    Only caught the 4th quarter as I was busy today.

Keenan Allen finally had a good punt return.
    Attochou was unlucky with the facemask fumble.
    Oliver is looking great
    Verrett with a great interception

Felt bad for Derek Carr. Looked very distraught.

Phewwwwwwwww. It was looking kinda hairy there for a while. But we pulled out the W in the end. V nice to see Verrett end it like he did against the team he supported all his life.

Rivers, Oliver and the receiving corps in general were magnificient.
    Novak is nails.
    The D were awful, esp run D. They were on skates the whole game. Liuget has to be playing with 1 arm or something because he ain't doing diddly. Reyes is no use if a team comes to run and he is not much use in passing game either. LBs simply awful, Conner excepted, he tried hard. Dunno WTF is up with Butler but he is a passenger. Gilly should only be used in run support/blitz he cannot cover ****.

Yes Flowers and Verrett were beat but Carr played unreal and some of his wideouts are real burners when they don't drop it.

The fake punt was the biggest WTF moment in Chargers history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Chargers usually loose games like these. Pissed off for Novak and his 53 yarder. That would have been sweet. Would like to see a bit more after the catch from Keenan Allen. Game went pretty much how I expected it but digging deep each time and dragging out the win was great. Raiders definately showed improvement. Glad the D came good at the end to close it out after allowing the Raiders a free reign for much of it.

Beat Kansas and we are surely guaranteed playoffs and a realistic shot at winning the division and or a seeding if we can beat the Donks??

Black Hole?...the state of them ;-)

setanta74 wrote: »
    Chargers usually loose games like these. Pissed off for Novak and his 53 yarder. That would have been sweet. Would like to see a bit more after the catch from Keenan Allen. Game went pretty much how I expected it but digging deep each time and dragging out the win was great. Raiders definately showed improvement. Glad the D came good at the end to close it out after allowing the Raiders a free reign for much of it.

Beat Kansas and we are surely guaranteed playoffs and a realistic shot at winning the division and or a seeding if we can beat the Donks??

Black Hole?...the state of them ;-)

Yeah couldn't believe how well Novak kicked tha 54 yarder. I was thinking ****e so close to the record in a row and he has to kick a 54 yarder!!, amazing.

I still think we struggle in Denver... so all going well we will be tied at the top after that game albeit with 1 more loss than them.

Did u get on the @overtimeireland bet D?... I got on it. Pats, Broncos, Ravens and Chargers to win paying 12/1 (11/4 cash, and the rest in free bets). Lovely jubbley, but I was concerned for a while.

Nope..missed that..then again I enjoy keeping money in my pocket ;-)...enjoy the winnings!!!

Missed the game last night, watched some highlights and the defence looked awful. Anyone particularly bad?

Meh like I didn't get over excited with the good performances I'm not going to get down over the defence.

They didn't perform like they should but they got the job done when it mattered. JJ had nearly got a pick, our rookie linebacker Attaochu was Unlucky with the fumble recovery.

Huge game next week.
    I hope it won't cost us much in dead money in the off season to cut Brown if Oliver keeps up this form.

Brown won't be cut unless they can get a team friendly deal done with Mathews. He needs a strong finish to the season as currently he'd be considered too injury prone and fumbles too much to offer a large contract

Brown won't be cut unless they can get a team friendly deal done with Mathews. He needs a strong finish to the season as currently he'd be considered too injury prone and fumbles too much to offer a large contract

Yeah I'd agree with this. If Oliver continues as he and you are Ryan Mathews you know your leverage is down bigtime. So the only option he might have in SD is team friendly deal. I'm thinking if Ryan performs well when he comes back albeit sharing the load with Oliver then another team will offer more and we will move forward with Oliver, Brown and Woody.

At this point in time you'd have to think it's less than 50:50 that Ryan comes back.

As for Sunday, Donald Butler was poor again. His dropped pick ain't helping the growing frustration among the fan base about his play.

Zero pass rush was also a big worry. QBs like Smith and Manning will burn us bad if we cannot get to them. Esp now that Flowers is down. Hoping Shareece might be back this week. Else we are down to Marshall and/or UDFA Davis starting.

Meh like I didn't get over excited with the good performances I'm not going to get down over the defence.

They didn't perform like they should but they got the job done when it mattered. JJ had nearly got a pick, our rookie linebacker Attaochu was Unlucky with the fumble recovery.

Huge game next week.
    I hope it won't cost us much in dead money in the off season to cut Brown if Oliver keeps up this form.

Defo they got the job done when it counted.. but I read that when Carr threw in Verretts direction at the end apparently another Raider was wide open on other side of the field, so we might have got away with one.

I know stats can be misleading but when I saw Butler top of the tackle chart for the game I thought he must have been good.

He's definitely not being the force we've come to expect from him but I still don't think he's been terrible this year

I know stats can be misleading but when I saw Butler top of the tackle chart for the game I thought he must have been good.

He's definitely not being the force we've come to expect from him but I still don't think he's been terrible this year

He's been terrible believe me. The only time I saw him play anywhere near the level we expect was v the Jets.

He has admitted as much himself and apparently after Acee wrote the scathing article on him Butler asked him to 'get out of my face'. Butler is generally a v good dude, but he knows now he can't hide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 rockstar_91

In years gone by, this game would have had Norv-ed written all over it. Thankfully those days appear to be gone. It really was a poor day out for the D, but the one thing I take from it is this - having played immensely over the last few weeks there was always going to be a poor game. Luckily it was against a team we could sneak a win over. Imagine a day like that coming against Denver! It remains to be seen how the back-end will fare with the injuries but I have confidence that they'll rebound after such a poor showing.

How bout that Brandon Oliver though!

In years gone by, this game would have had Norv-ed written all over it. Thankfully those days appear to be gone. It really was a poor day out for the D, but the one thing I take from it is this - having played immensely over the last few weeks there was always going to be a poor game. Luckily it was against a team we could sneak a win over. Imagine a day like that coming against Denver! It remains to be seen how the back-end will fare with the injuries but I have confidence that they'll rebound after such a poor showing.

How bout that Brandon Oliver though!

Oliver looks like a mighty find. Who'd have thought it'd be an UDFA to spell Ryan's end in SD. Not saying Ryan won't be kept it's just that the Bolts hold all the aces now.

Potential to be a Sproles 2.0! Hopefully Danny Woodhead can stick around as a threat next year. Definitely a difference maker

Lets slow down there now. 2 games and we are going to ride with Oliver?

Mathews is a pro bowl calibre player. He was extremely Unlucky with his injury this year.

He won't get top dollar but he will get paid. I'd be shocked if we don't keep him.

Not saying Oliver won't be a starter but if he keeps it up I see Brown getting the chop and not Mathews. Brown is on a big contract and done very little to earn it.

Oliver also is not one bit like Sproles imo, he is a carbon copy of Jones Drew I think.

But I wouldn't for one second letting this team on the edge of a super bowl ride on the back of a udfa over Mathews.

Also I think say Butler is terrible is over kill. He ain't player near his level. He is playing ok, needs to do better, he isn't the sort of guy to get paid and take his eyes off the ball.

Lets slow down there now. 2 games and we are going to ride with Oliver?

Mathews is a pro bowl calibre player. He was extremely Unlucky with his injury this year.

He won't get top dollar but he will get paid. I'd be shocked if we don't keep him.

Not saying Oliver won't be a starter but if he keeps it up I see Brown getting the chop and not Mathews. Brown is on a big contract and done very little to earn it.

Oliver also is not one bit like Sproles imo, he is a carbon copy of Jones Drew I think.

But I wouldn't for one second letting this team on the edge of a super bowl ride on the back of a udfa over Mathews.

Also I think say Butler is terrible is over kill. He ain't player near his level. He is playing ok, needs to do better, he isn't the sort of guy to get paid and take his eyes off the ball.

I'm only saying at seasons end the emergence of Oliver means SD don't have to overpay Mathews. I reckon another team will offer #24 something we choose not to match.

When Ryan comes back this yr, it's Ronnie who will be dumped. I would agree though if it came down to getting Ryan back at fair value and/or dump Donald Brown, it will be the latter.

I'd also agree I would not have expected Butler to be the type to get paid and sit back, but his play has been nothing like what he is capable of.

Agree with everything rochey said, oliver has been a great find but Mathews is a beast, he will punish the defence. A heavy dose of Mathews in the first 3 quarters and let oliver come in fresh in the 4th would be a nightmare for a defence.
    I'm probably getting carried away, its only a few weeks ago we were talking about not being able to establish the run.

In the long run I think we'll try get a 3year deal with Mathews, he will have seen last year that the market is poor for RBs. We also have cap room next year so can strengthen the team but I like keeping key contributors.

Agree with everything rochey said, oliver has been a great find but Mathews is a beast, he will punish the defence. A heavy dose of Mathews in the first 3 quarters and let oliver come in fresh in the 4th would be a nightmare for a defence.
    I'm probably getting carried away, its only a few weeks ago we were talking about not being able to establish the run.

In the long run I think we'll try get a 3year deal with Mathews, he will have seen last year that the market is poor for RBs. We also have cap room next year so can strengthen the team but I like keeping key contributors.

Same here it is a policy that serves a strong locker room well. TT didn't draft Ryan so I'd wonder about the support he might have in that direction. Of course he did not draft Butler either and extended him.

Well that was ****e...

I felt it was coming. Calkins has a good article in the UT today questioning whether the Chargers are as good as their record. He's right. We can't compete with the injuries we are suffering. This week we had 2 guys active who probably couldn't play, one was Flowers who did play and the other Law, never saw the field. Even with all our defense healthy you'd have to question have we got the players?

Acee reckons Butler is injured (or had us all fooled for the previous 3).

Very disappointing performance to watch. It is so hard to deal with all the injuries we are having but the reality is we were beaten along both lines and everyone was available except for Ricardo Matthews to rotate in.
    Both lines need to improve and I think they both have room to do it.
    Rivers was poor by his standards. Oliver was probably the only positive to take, he is doing brilliant but I do think we need Mathews extra bulk to hammer defences more with. His bruising style will help us.

The short week is going to be very hard for us and I really don't think we're healthy enough to compete this Thursday. The big name players on the inactive list is bad enough but we're being forced to play a lot of guys who look about 60% at best.
    Get to the bye week and try heal up has to be our main aim now

• Advertisement

I think we were dominated. The defeat was on the cards early. Gotta hand it to the Chiefs. They played well. 39mins v 21mins TOP. 50% v 30% 3rd down conversions. PR 17 for 31. I think our injuries and depth caught up with us today. I dont know how they can turn this around in a few days for Denver but to be 5-3 with the injuries we have had is still a good position to be in.

Having said that I wouldnt be completely shocked if we somehow managed to win at Denver.

setanta74 wrote: »
    I think we were dominated. The defeat was on the cards early. Gotta hand it to the Chiefs. They played well. 39mins v 21mins TOP. 50% v 30% 3rd down conversions. PR 17 for 31. I think our injuries and depth caught up with us today. I dont know how they can turn this around in a few days for Denver but to be 5-3 with the injuries we have had is still a good position to be in.

Having said that I wouldnt be completely shocked if we somehow managed to win at Denver.

Nor would I.

But I fear we could get hammered too what with our lack of pass rush and the 2 starting corners missing. It will all be about keeping Peyton off the field ala what the Chiefs did to us.

If Richard Marshall had showed up we would of won that game, he was truly terrible. Hopefully he bounces back.

If we have no pressure, keep send Gilchrist on the blitz, he is a like a freak train blitzing.

Butler needs to get going too. Looking forward to Thursday, I'm off Friday, but expect Thomas to tear us apart.

If Richard Marshall had showed up we would of won that game, he was truly terrible. Hopefully he bounces back.

If we have no pressure, keep send Gilchrist on the blitz, he is a like a freak train blitzing.

Butler needs to get going too. Looking forward to Thursday, I'm off Friday, but expect Thomas to tear us apart.

If we're blitzing a DB it does need to be Gilly as he is the one we can most afford missing in the D backfield. Stop sending Weddle even though he is a v good blitzer too, send those that cannot make plays deep.

What time is KO?, might be a v early start for me Fri morn so, try and get the game watched before work.

Flowers is out and so is our chances I think.
    Hopefully we are competitive.

Flowers is out and so is our chances I think.
    Hopefully we are competitive.

Yeah I'd normally get up v early to watch it before work but I might pass this week. I fear for our hopes.....

It's hard enough with a full compliment of players but missing the corners (Verrett not confirmed out, but he has to be hobbled) and Ingram/Attaochu and even Te'o, means 'the forehead' should have a field day.

• Advertisement

It was like Liverpool v Real Madrid.

Pretty much completely outclassed.

The only guys to come out of it with credit were Rivers, Weddle, Gates and Allen. Best we can hope for is a WC, if this Denver team does not go on and win it all then they should be shot.

O line dominated, D line no push at all. Again we were smashed in the trenches, too common a theme now.

And WTF with Addae?..... might be serious repercussions letting him continue to play. Imho a head needs to roll on that one (no pun intended).

Just fresh from watching the game and I havent digested it yet but initial thoughts :

- we deserved to loose ..no question but it could have been avoided

- some total BS calls against the chargers by the officials at crucial times. (why always against Denver?)...the fumbled kick return ..elbow down in "complete control of the football"...load of crap...ball came loose the exact second he touched the ground...that is not complete control. The Weddle takeaway was another called back for holding. One or two other BS calls at critical times too.

- the 2 interceptions were all on Rivers. I aint calling him out as he has led this team all season but he'll be disappointed about the 2 giveaways

- the running game. Are you kidding me...it wasnt working for long periods and yet we persisted giving negative yardage and wearing down our frail OL more. Olivier did his best and actually made a couple a nice gains but most of the running game was a disaster

- Sanders TD to make it 14-7...all on Marshall...I could have done a better job at CB for that...awful defending.

We started well. Kept it close early on. Shut them down mostly in the first half but as the game wore on I think our 2nd and 3rd stringers wore down too and the quality of the Broncos was always going to overcome us when that happened. Somehow we managed to keep ourselves within 2 scores (thanks to Gates, Allen and Floyd) but the game was up with Philips 2nd interception...the pass was never on was it!!

Why didnt we get some quick slants going to Royal or some double TE sets. I think we are becoming too predictable.

We have to account for the injuries, the short week and the fact Denver are a Superbowl standard team but man does losing suck balls bigtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

My thoughts
    -Rubbish officiating on the fumble. Was potentially a 14 point swing in the game.
    -Richard Marshall, how he wasn't cut after the chiefs game baffled me. Last night reaffirmed this
    -Weddles int, bit of a nothing call. I think you would probably call Talib on Floyd for the 2nd int by the same logic
    -Addae passed the concussion test. He had a stinger near the end not a concussion.
    -Jon Gennaro ruins BFTB

Disappointing result but hard to say it wasn't coming. The bye week is badly needed to try and get healthy everywhere. To me the O is much better at getting a lead and playing keep away than trying to chase the game, with the result you see plays like the second INT.

The defence is missing some of our big play makers but our offence is only really missing Mathews, not sure will he be able to spark us to life as we've looked lack lustre the last 2 weeks in really big games.

Bring on the bye week, our guys need a break

• Advertisement

So Richard Marshall is history.

Not that we should have anything against Richard, he was probably doing his best, but isn't it great to see our GM act fast and decisively?. Under AJ&Norv we'd muddle on with dross like Richard until season end. Sometimes I wonder if AJ felt his work was done as soon as the season started. Telesco is obviously on this 24/7, he had 2 corners and an ILB in for a workout either just before or immediately after the Denver game.

Hope he can now work on the O line too and have Joe D move Fluker inside and (for now) play Willie Smith at RT. Let's go with Watt at center from now, Ohrnberger is decent but the future is Watt and for me he should give us more down the stretch.

Let Rinehart and Trout battle it out for LG. Trout was always a better LG than RG in any event. It'll mean we need to go out and get ourselves a swing tackle, look forward to seeing TT's next few moves.

There is no way our line is improved by having Smith at RT. It seems to be fashionable to try change personnel at the minute but the reality is we haven't players who are good enough to step up on the Oline.
    If we were to move Fluker inside that could only be done successfully during the off-season. No point considering that until we've a decent calibre of player to be an upgrade at RT
    Currently I think our only option is to start Watt and try as best to get some stability on the line. Troutman can challenge for LG but I don't see him being good enough to win it.

Haven't won in Miami in ages. About bleedin time.

I've put my money where my mouth is and have the Bolts in an accum ATS.

I think we'll win, lads will be annoyed losing 2 in a row and I don't think miami are as good as the chiefs or broncos.

A bye week at 6-3 would be a major achievement and we should be coming into the back end of the season with a healthier roster. Even the 11 day rest we have now should help guys

The less said the better.

Bye week and hit the restart button.

Would expect a backlash from the performance.

Thats as bad as it gets. God help the raiders after the bye.

I dunno lads. I'd have expected a backlash after HT and we still looked like a crowd of pussies.

I've been following this team for almost 30 yrs and have had bad bad days, but I don't think I've ever seen such an horrific performance as yesterday.

If I'm TT I'd be demanding a written report from each coach & player (within 24hrs) as to what they believe happened/did not happen. And what each of them is going to do about it in bullets. If each player & coach don't appear to execute their plan then cut them, simple. Heads need to roll after this.

What's clear to me is;

The O line can be blown up now. Fluker needs to play RG, Watt/Robinson needs to be the center, anyone of 3 players can fight it out for LG. I'd stick with Dunlap at LT. At RT we have to find someone or go with Willie Smith end of.

Donald Butler should be at a minimum benched. And told he has 1 more chance to win his job back by putting it in in practice, but I don't play him against the Raiders. He is shockingly bad.

We can move on from Gilly, not a chance we bring him back after this yr. We can move on from Reyes too, complete waste of space. Donald Brown can be cut too.

Hopefully we get Ingram, Te'o (cannot believe I'm pining for his return, shows how bad things have got) Jerry and Mathews back after the bye. Why not give Inman a shot at WR. I'm not sure the guy has seen the field once even though he has dressed twice that I know of.

Only chink of light at the end of the tunnel yesterday was Davis on KRs, it was refreshing to see us return a kick for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Raiders fan here who happened to be watching the game (I Have Philip Rivers on my Fantasy team, so had an interest in the game). Very uncharacteristic game by both teams. Miami struck gold and you guys just fell flat. I havent seen the Chargers play much all season but it seemed to me that Rivers got no protection from the line. Having said that, he'll be back to his best against us in a fortnight. Any team needing a pick me up, just play Oakland. Anyways best of luck in a fortnight. :)

Raiders fan here who happened to be watching the game (I Have Philip Rivers on my Fantasy team, so had an interest in the game). Very uncharacteristic game by both teams. Miami struck gold and you guys just fell flat. I havent seen the Chargers play much all season but it seemed to me that Rivers got no protection from the line. Having said that, he'll be back to his best against us in a fortnight. Any team needing a pick me up, just play Oakland. Anyways best of luck in a fortnight. :)

Tx for stopping by.

Yep zero support from the O line yesterday (and for last few weeks in fact). O line needs to be blown up. But we have deeper problems methinks, motivation and accountability issues, not to mention all the injuries.

Oakland stood up quite well to Seattle yesterday esp away from home. Sparano seems to have guys trying (unlike our coaching ticket). I like what I see from Carr. Sparano probably isn't long term answer though, could see Rex Ryan ending up there. U can have John Pagano (our DC) too if you want.

Playoff chances done? 5 wins needed? I can only see 2 wins against the raiders and the rams.

Dunno where the other 3 would come from Baltimore, Niners and Chiefs away or Broncos and Pats at home.

Stick a fork in us?

• Advertisement
Advertisement