Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock N' Roll Half Marathon 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Enjoyed today. Very well set up.
    The run itself wasn't too challenging either apart from the climb through the Phoenix Park. Got around in 1:44, happy enough with it but could be better.
    I done the fun run with my girls after it too, soaked to the skin but the girls loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Results up on the AAI website (for the national champs anyway). Can't post a link, as Boards is ****e on a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Times are up but my time is over a minute faster than what I got and I'm in the wrong position, ahead of people I finished behind. In short, they mixed me up. Anyone know what you do when this happens?

Edit: problem fixed.

Great race all round. Well organised and great competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

650 finishers for the National Half Championships isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

tang1 wrote: »
    650 finishers for the National Half Championships isn't great.

It's what happens when you mix an National champs in with a mickey mouse race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

pconn062 wrote: »
    It's what happens when you mix an National champs in with a mickey mouse race.

Don't think that its having a bearing to be honest if you look at the pre RnR figures

Finishers
    2009 - 183
    2010 - 196
    2011 - 690
    2012 - 400

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Don't think that its having a bearing to be honest if you look at the pre RnR figures

Finishers
    2009 - 183
    2010 - 196
    2011 - 690
    2012 - 400

True but the drop-off after the top 10 or so is unreal. I know this may be usually the case but that's a serious lack of depth. Such a shame. A quality race, on a good fast course, would surely boost numbers/quality significantly.

True but the drop-off after the top 10 or so is unreal. I know this may be usually the case but that's a serious lack of depth. Such a shame. A quality race, on a good fast course, would surely boost numbers/quality significantly.

25 sub 74 minute finishers on a slow course, I would argue is the deepest HM in the country (for comparison there were 23 in Charleville last year and that is a quicker course).

Not saying its perfect rather just pointing out that being run as part of the RnR while might be a bug bear for some hasn't really negatively affected the Championships as a whole any more than say travelling would affect the likes of Charleville or any other possible reason which might be a deciding factor for runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Finishers
    2009 - 183
    2010 - 196
    2011 - 690
    2012 - 400

You're probably right, I'm just ranting. :pac:

Still think it's slightly crappy having the national 1/2 stuck in with a massively corporate race. While the old situation of a club volunteering to host it was not ideal, it seemed to have a community grassroots feel to it that is missing in a profit driven venture like this.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    You're probably right, I'm just ranting. :pac:

Still think it's slightly crappy having the national 1/2 stuck in with a massively corporate race. While the old situation of a club volunteering to host it was not ideal, it seemed to have a community grassroots feel to it that is missing in a profit driven venture like this.

I was more miffed by the scheduling National Half same day as National League Final and week before National Track Championships where a number of the same athletes will line out in the 5k/10k.

I get that thy struggle to funnel people from road to track but at least try to make it feasible for the few who would want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

25 sub 74 minute finishers on a slow course, I would argue is the deepest HM in the country (for comparison there were 23 in Charleville last year and that is a quicker course).

The National Half should have the deepest field each and every year! My point still stands. Most people I know didn't even consider running it, despite marathon/long distance training. I do get your point but just because it has always been that way (numbers etc.) doesn't mean it should continue that way.

With that said, it was great to see the top Irish lads compete at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Finishers
    2009 - 183
    2010 - 196
    2011 - 690
    2012 - 400
    So there were more participants in 2011, before R&R started writing cheques?
    If Charleville were to host the national champs, I strongly suspect the numbers would be substantially different. I'd guess, you'd be looking at (given that a number of runners run both):
    R'n'R: 2
    Charleville: 34
    From a competitive athlete perspective, the only value add of the R&R is that it's the National champs and it's population-centric. But we'll never know, as long as the AAI is happy to taker the cheques, with minimal overhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Anybody know if Mark Kenneally pulled up due to injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

From a competitive athlete perspective, the only value add of the R&R is that it's the National champs and it's population-centric. But we'll never know, as long as the AAI is happy to taker the cheques, with minimal overhead.

Anyone any idea if the national champs are going continue being incorporated into this event? It's rally unfair of the AAI to diminish the national half marathon champs. Number collection the previous day and the 8.30am start means that people from outside Dublin are forced to overnight in the city. Talking to ultrapercy yesterday and he reckons the weekend cost himself and his mrs 500 euro. It's understandable why people outside Dublin wouldn't travel. And for people like myself living in Dublin getting to the start isn't exactly easy either. We met at our club house at 7am to get a bus in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

this debate comes up every year...
    • I don't know exactly how much AAI gets from the Rock and Roll crowd, but it is a substantial amount
    • The earlier situation, where the championships were put on by a different club each year, didn't seem to be working. Too much work for a club to take on, and numbers were not great
    • If the championships were run as part of Charleville, getting there is a problem for a lot of people. Dublin is at least the transport hub. Would the numbers go up or down? Should it be in Charleville every year?
    • Times might be slightly faster in Charleville, or somewhere else, but how important is that really? Are qualifying times at stake?

Against all that - yes, it is another national championship stuck in Dublin,and the early start means people from outside Dublin have to travel the day before or get up very early.

RayCun wrote: »
    • I don't know exactly how much AAI gets from the Rock and Roll crowd, but it is a substantial amount
    • The earlier situation, where the championships were put on by a different club each year, didn't seem to be working. Too much work for a club to take on, and numbers were not great
    • If the championships were run as part of Charleville, getting there is a problem for a lot of people. Dublin is at least the transport hub. Would the numbers go up or down? Should it be in Charleville every year?
    • Times might be slightly faster in Charleville, or somewhere else, but how important is that really? Are qualifying times at stake?

Against all that - yes, it is another national championship stuck in Dublin,and the early start means people from outside Dublin have to travel the day before or get up very early.

I heard the figure a couple of years back that the AAI gets and it is substantial. I've no problem with the national champs being incorporated into an existing race but i should be moved around. Have it in Waterford one year, charleville the next, Dublin another etc etc. I know there are issues with the months these races are on but that could be looked at.

And you're right it is brought up every year because no one in AAI pays any heed to what the runners are actually saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I was very opposed to the idea of this initially, particularly the R'n'R brand, but I think if Athletics Ireland are getting money from it, with minimal overheads, then surely it's just a bit of pragmatism.

Clubs are getting a lot of money out of it too for stewarding and it's less work for the volunteers who make these club/national races happen.

It's a win-win for clubs. From AI or a club's point of view, it's probably one of the more obscure national championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't think Waterford or Charleville would pay :)
    The deal may be based on a partnership every year, not something you can alternate on and off

Sacksian wrote: »
    I was very opposed to the idea of this initially, particularly the R'n'R brand, but I think if Athletics Ireland are getting money from it, with minimal overheads, then surely it's just a bit of pragmatism.

Clubs are getting a lot of money out of it too for stewarding and it's less work for the volunteers who make these club/national races happen.

It's a win-win for clubs. From AI or a club's point of view, it's probably one of the more obscure national championships.

good points and I don't disagree with them. It's a win win for most people except maybe for some of the runners themselves. I think it's the 8.30 am start time that's the real problem. At least with the great ireland run (national 10k) the start is 2pm so gives an opportunity for those outside of Dublin to travel on the day.

Getting the start time for RnR changed would be close to impossible due to the public roads they use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Were the national champs ever incorporated into the race series half? From a purely selfish (but runner's) perspective, I would prefer the HM to be in September and would travel to wherever in the country for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

RayCun wrote: »

The main problem with clubs hosting these championships was the lack of support from AAI combined with their wish to control the event from a distance. The situation now is compleels unacceptable and unfair. The 3 road championships are in Dublin now with the half being on the busiest most expensive weekend of the year. Myself and my partner both competed and won medals in the championship yesterday so it was a good day but the cost was approx 500 euro and the abandonment of any holiday plans we might have had. If this situation was a once off or a rotating system it would be easier to take but it's fixed. I'm not someone who is fixated on everything being centered around Dublin and I love the Dublin marathon and feel it's the right race for the national champs but the rock and roll race is a wrong and unfair fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Seeing the inevitable Self Stick in Corral 1 summed up why Rock n Roll is wrong for National Championships - clubs runners who were honest about their time stuck behind 'tourists'. The early start / need to run through the city is more about the RnR franchise than what Irish runners want.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I ran this yesterday and as a "tourist"/plodder/newbie, I must have missed out the part on the website where it read only serious club runners need apply. I can't believe the attitude here, I have heard people talk about "Running Snobs" but some of the comments above are the first time I have encountered it.

This was my first ever Half Marathon and was looking to finish it first of all and secondly hopefully in and around two hours (we can't all run sub 75 or even 90 minutes), which I did. It was well set up and an enjoyable experience, I know some people on here thought it was an easy enough course, not one person I spoke to yesterday gave me that opinion at all but all seemed to have enjoyed it. Yes there will be people who will go into the wrong wave/corral but surely there wasn't so many people that club runners got stuck behind them.

Anyway well done to all who took part and finished yesterdays race and I look forward to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

AAD wrote: »
    I ran this yesterday and as a "tourist"/plodder/newbie, I must have missed out the part on the website where it read only serious club runners need apply. I can't believe the attitude here, I have heard people talk about "Running Snobs" but some of the comments above are the first time I have encountered it.

This was my first ever Half Marathon and was looking to finish it first of all and secondly hopefully in and around two hours (we can't all run sub 75 or even 90 minutes), which I did. It was well set up and an enjoyable experience, I know some people on here thought it was an easy enough course, not one person I spoke to yesterday gave me that opinion at all but all seemed to have enjoyed it. Yes there will be people who will go into the wrong wave/corral but surely there wasn't so many people that club runners got stuck behind them.

Anyway well done to all who took part and finished yesterdays race and I look forward to next year.

I don't know what you are taking exception to. There is nothing in this thread offensive to anyone of any ability. Being offended about nothing is quickly becoming our national sport with mass participation and quality fields.It's not our fault you can't run it in 75 or even 90 minutes and I'd argue you could if you wanted to. The debate is whether or not an national athletic championship should be incorporated into a commercial event that markets itself essentially as a fun run. The race was as well organised as a race of that price should be, there is nothing extra special about it and it lacks the buzz that the Dublin Marathon is now renowned for or the friendliness and hospitality of almost all club races.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

I hope I'm not in the running snob brigade, in fact my biggest kick yesterday was getting two friends who'd volunteered last year to run this year. Couch to 5k to a half in 2:30 good work for 12 months.

Like most NGBs, Athletics Ireland has limited resources and outsourcing the championships is an easy solution, yet I don't think it is wrong to question if it is the most appropriate race to be deemed the National Champs. Rock n Roll is what it is and I would still probably be taking part in it rather than the races series half because of the dates.

GIR does a better job of merging the dual roles of commercial and NGB backed race - start time and location help. Charleville always gets a mention, but Flatline and Tullamore are another two centrally located ones that come to mind as other alternatives if finances was not the decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You either haven't read the thread properly, or haven't interpreted it correctly. No-one is saying that there's anything wrong with the RnR race, or that it shouldn't be newbie-friendly. The topic under discussion is whether such a race should also be the National Irish Half-Marathon Championships

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I know some people on here thought it was an easy enough course

I'd love to know where/how you read that.
    I'm pretty sure any comments in relation to the course have been the exact opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Started running this year properly as in more than one run a week , have seen big improvements in my times got 5k down from 23 to 19 and did a 10k fingal in 42. Longest run before yesterday was 16km so wasn't sure id make it , managed to come in in 1:41 so am delighted with that , no idea how the winner is doing it in 1:05 or so that's mind boggling !

Entered the race series so have the 10mile to come and half marathon , is there a reason they put a hill at the end of each of these races ? The 5 mile 10mile and this race all finish on that horrible hill in the park it just seems evil ! I was flying along up to entering the park then when I entered park it was very narrow and over taking was difficult had to run on grass off small footpath , overall it was well organised but the hill for last 3 miles cost me time , I was cruising at 4:30 km's then that went to 4:50's , do the pro's see a drop off in times on hills or even notice them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 therighthook

Anyone else using a Garmin in the half that showed a longer distance than 21.1km? or maybe I need a new Garmin :-D

Advertisement