Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock N' Roll Half Marathon 2015

Options
  • 26-02-2015 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Anyone here going to do this? I've never done this or know anyone that has.

Can't decide if I will or not. The route looks good. I'm pretty tempted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Pink11 wrote: »

I am doing it, it's okay. I hate the route, starting at the point and ending at the park is a pain. They ran shuttles last year back to the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm doing it. First ever half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Hope you got in, its currently sold out (according to their website)
    I did it a couple of years ago.. really enjoyable and loads of grub after!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I doubt it's sold out, they were doing specials on Groupon last year to get people to sign up.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    I doubt it's sold out, they were doing specials on Groupon last year to get people to sign up.

Well, if you take what they are saying on their website at face-value, then yip its sold out.
    Can't understand why they would be turning people away if it wasn't sold out.
    Either way...i've already registered!!!
    Link: http://www.rockandroad.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Are these 2 different races? Rock and roll v rock and road? OP says rock and roll which is in Dublin if I'm not mistaken.

webpal wrote: »
    Are these 2 different races? Rock and roll v rock and road? OP says rock and roll which is in Dublin if I'm not mistaken.

shoot .. my bad!
    rock and roll (dublin)... not rock and road(galway)!

*runs off to get his jacket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Did it last year, was my first and broke my heart the most.

Wanted a sub 2hr but got 2:00:01 time :) Was still happy though.

Course wasn't too bad, was great fun with plenty of stuff when you crossed the line. Still wear the t shirt while training.

There was some fcuker barbecuing on the street at one stage, that was mentally the worst bit.

Have fun at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Thanks guys, because of the positive feedback I decided to go ahead and I've just registered.

The price goes up from midnight tonight guys so book today before the price hikes up!

Where has the pick up been for race packs normally?

• Advertisement

Did it last year, was my first and broke my heart the most.

Wanted a sub 2hr but got 2:00:01 time :) Was still happy though.

Course wasn't too bad, was great fun with plenty of stuff when you crossed the line. Still wear the t shirt while training.

There was some fcuker barbecuing on the street at one stage, that was mentally the worst bit.

Have fun at it.

Congrats, that time is seriously impressive you should be very proud. I'm sure at some point some eejit got in your way and you had to go around him hence the extra second ;)

Really excited about this now guys. I saw you can bring one person along with you to enjoy the bands and stuff after? Nice way to chill out after!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I saw you can bring one person along with you to enjoy the bands and stuff after? Nice way to chill out after!

Last year the bands are was not corralled off at all - anyone could just wander in from the Phoenix Park. May be different this year though. I think the one extra person thing may be referring to a free bus transfer(?) - I remember something similar from last year.

Yeah, it was pretty cool, and a little surreal, to be watching the Frank and Walters at midday after a half marathon!

Ah sorry my bad. I bet I just misread!

Are the t-shirts true to size? I ordered a xs but now I'm thinking i should have ordered a s! Can we change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Congrats, that time is seriously impressive you should be very proud. I'm sure at some point some eejit got in your way and you had to go around him hence the extra second ;)

Really excited about this now guys. I saw you can bring one person along with you to enjoy the bands and stuff after? Nice way to chill out after!

Ah it's not a great time but not the worst. Iv a feeling I was the eeijit annoying everyone else, weaving in and out and slobbering! :)

As eoinin said earlier, last year was a free for all. There were people everywhere at the finish with no restrictions. That's not to say that this year will be different though.

I really want to sign up for this again but not sure if il be around.

Ah it's not a great time but not the worst. Iv a feeling I was the eeijit annoying everyone else, weaving in and out and slobbering! :)

As eoinin said earlier, last year was a free for all. There were people everywhere at the finish with no restrictions. That's not to say that this year will be different though.

I really want to sign up for this again but not sure if il be around.

haha!

Yeah, it's hard to commit to the dates so early on but this year I am putting my running first. As long as it's not clashing with my concerts this year I don't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

any more uptake on this? Seriously thinking about it, if only for the fact that the medal looks so bloody cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I registered for this a while back. It's part of my marathon training and will be my first half marathon. I'm excited and nervous about it! It's going to tell me a lot about how I'm doing with the training and what I need to work on afterwards to get myself marathon ready.

I registered for this a while back. It's part of my marathon training and will be my first half marathon. I'm excited and nervous about it! It's going to tell me a lot about how I'm doing with the training and what I need to work on afterwards to get myself marathon ready.

Go you! That's brilliant. Sounds like you have the same goals as me.. kinda!

What other races are you signed up for this year? Is it the Dublin marathon you're doing. I feel that will be too soon for me so I'm going to do the marathon in Clonakilty, Co. Cork on December 5th. To give me some more time!

My first half of the year will be the Clontarf on July 4th (can't wait!)
    Next one is this rock n' roll one.
    And my final is the Dublin half (also doing the race series).

paulers06 wrote: »
    any more uptake on this? Seriously thinking about it, if only for the fact that the medal looks so bloody cool!

Go for it! I hear the atmosphere is incredible too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

My goal is also a marathon - Dublin. Been doing a few half marathons. Trying to build up some event experience. This one looks like a lot of fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Go you! That's brilliant. Sounds like you have the same goals as me.. kinda!

What other races are you signed up for this year? Is it the Dublin marathon you're doing. I feel that will be too soon for me so I'm going to do the marathon in Clonakilty, Co. Cork on December 5th. To give me some more time!

My first half of the year will be the Clontarf on July 4th (can't wait!)
    Next one is this rock n' roll one.
    And my final is the Dublin half (also doing the race series).

Yup, Dublin Marathon, here I come!

I'm signed up for the Race Series 5 mile and 10 mile and the Rock 'n Roll Half. Those are my only races, all built into my training plan.

Sounds like you are going to have a pretty awesome running year!! Good luck!

I'm really looking forward to the RnR myself. Love the idea of the music and I think it will be good fun, if I can just remember not to put too much pressure on myself and just enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

This one is on my calendar. Brother done it last year and said it was a great race with one of the better atmospheres.

Registration link on the new website: http://www.runrocknroll.com/dublin/register/

Half marathon is now €49. The early bird offer is over.

I believe it was €35 before Dec 31st and it was €39 from Jan 1st to March (I got it for €39). I felt that was really good value.

I just noticed Athletics Ireland members can reg for just 25euro! Really cool. Is anyone joined? How much is it and is it worth it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you are a member of a club you are an AI member. So it costs whatever your club fees are.

I would say it is well worth joining a club if you are into running at all.

If you are a member of a club you are an AI member. So it costs whatever your club fees are.

I would say it is well worth joining a club if you are into running at all.

Thank you. This is all new to me and realise I sound really stupid but...

Can anyone recommend a good club for me to join in Dublin? I literally have no clue what so ever what joining a club would entail. What is the benefit? What do you get? I always trained on my own or with friends so this is new.

I'm not an amazingly fast record breaker, but I'm consistent, train hard and maybe it's time I joined a club. I do lots of races every year (just new to the Dublin area).

What part of Dublin are you based in?

The main benefits are with being able to train in groups, access to a coach, social aspect, talking to people about running, push yourself harder in sessions etc. No downside to it really.

Usually you just turn up on one of the nights they train, join in the the training session, do that for a few weeks, if you decide that this is for you then you join them.

What part of Dublin are you based in?

The main benefits are with being able to train in groups, access to a coach, social aspect, talking to people about running, push yourself harder in sessions etc. No downside to it really.

Usually you just turn up on one of the nights they train, join in the the training session, do that for a few weeks, if you decide that this is for you then you join them.

Thanks appreciate the info, that sounds fantastic to be honest.

I'm working and living in city centre.

OK, well have a look at the following depding on what you think would suit best

Crusaders AC- Irishtown
    Donore Harriers - Dunblin 8, near Phoenix Park
    Metro St. Brigids - Islandbridge

Probably a few others around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Is anybody planning on doing the 3k fun run after the half marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

KJ wrote: »
    Is anybody planning on doing the 3k fun run after the half marathon?
    I'm in for both. I'll be doing the fun run with the wife and kids. Did the same last year and it was good fun, and the kids got a (rubber) medal which was nice. With regards to the half, it looks like the course has changed a bit from last year - it doesn't enter the Phoenix park until Chesterfield Avenue, and runs different roads through the Park as well. I'm not very familiar with the Phoenix Park so I can't comment as to whether or not its better or worse than last year. I had a disastrous run here last year so I'm hoping to redeem myself in August.

Advertisement