Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon 2014 (AAI National Half)

Options
  • 13-12-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

As the 2013 road racing season comes to an end and you start planning your 2014 pursuits, don't miss the Official National Half Marathon Championships on Monday, 4 August 2014.
    They're sure to ROCK all over again at the 2nd annual Rock 'n' Roll Dublin Half Marathon!

Athletics Ireland Member perks include:
    • Best entry rate - €25
    • Live bands every mile
    • Finisher's Medal & Tech Tee
    • NEW City Centre Course - to be announced early 2014
    • Post Race Concert

Looks like the National Half will be part of the Rock 'n' Roll again next year.

While I felt it was a good race last year and well organised, I still feel that this should be given around to clubs.

Hopefully the results won't be a shambles this time round!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    Looks like the National Half will be part of the Rock 'n' Roll again next year.

While I felt it was a good race last year and well organised, I still feel that this should be given around to clubs.

Hopefully the results won't be a shambles this time round!

In fairness the shambles in the results have nothing to do with the RnR crowd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Interested to know what the new route will be as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Interesting one this, are the National champs not supposed to go to different province every year? Putting aside that issue, its probably a reasonably sensible decision. Rock n Roll can bring a bit more publicity and public attention to a National championship race which is a positive thing. I was pleasantly surprised at the race last year and will probably go again next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What the AAI need to ( can ) change for 2014 to improve on this years race is to post the race numbers out to AAI members so they don't have to travel to the 'expo'

Would also like to see it start a little later than 8am to allow people to travel on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

National 10km,half marathon and marathon championships all being held in Dublin and it doesnt look like thats going to change in the next few years,great for Dublin/Leinster clubs but a bit unfair on road runners outside the Leinster area especially with the early start times.

• Advertisement

johnruns wrote: »
    National 10km,half marathon and marathon championships all being held in Dublin and it doesnt look like thats going to change in the next few years,great for Dublin/Leinster clubs but a bit unfair on road runners outside the Leinster area especially with the early start times.

Not exactly inspring for those of us in Dublin either. Can see the logic of the national marathon champs being in Dublin but not the rest.

National 10K doesn't exactly start early btw

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SliM Dedalus

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Interested to know what the new route will be as well.

http://ie.competitor.com/dublin/course

Not as good as last years I think. I didn't run it in 2013 but the course seemed to take in more of the city. Too many loops around the Phoenix Park and the last mile and a half is going to be torture having run so close to the finishing line.

Fully intended on running this but not signed up yet. I'd imagine that I still will, but regret not having done it last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Is that route fro real? Obviously they will have to have buses to bring gear from start to finish. I hope there are shuttle buses at finish bringing people back into the city as public transport that end of the park isn't great!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

finish line 5/6 miles from the start line. They say they'll bring your gear bag from start to finish, but still a pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Looks like a bit of a mess on acres road, cant figure out whats going on there when you come off or onto chesterfield ave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

eh ... the route last year was much better. We went through the park, but then back into the city.

Are we supposed to walk back through the park to catch public transport. hmmm :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

RayCun wrote: »
    They say they'll bring your gear bag from start to finish, but still a pain in the arse
    Will they bring my car too? Terrible route this year.

Route looks dull. Kinda takes away from the whole run through the city thing Rock n Roll have going on. Sure we can't be shutting down a few roads for a couple of hours in Dublin to do a decent route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Net Uphill course :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Given that it's now a point to point race, I doubt it will be AIMS certified, or can be used for qualification purposes, given the elevation change and the start/finish separation. Unusual approach for an AAI national event. The only thing I can see going for this race is that it is the National Half marathon.

Looks like they have found a starting point (docklands) that would normally be empty on a bank holiday Monday morning and a finishing spot that can cater for the crowd without congesting or having to close off any of the city and joined the dots in between.

Either way people are going to be badly put out for getting to the start or from the finish or whatever and what is not a very exciting route. Still I'm sure the landmarks etc they have named along the route will get their fair share of travelling tourists and how could we forget the medal that will draw another bunch in :rolleyes:

Looks like they have found a starting point (docklands) that would normally be empty on a bank holiday Monday morning and a finishing spot that can cater for the crowd without congesting or having to close off any of the city and joined the dots in between.

Either way people are going to be badly put out for getting to the start or from the finish or whatever and what is not a very exciting route. Still I'm sure the landmarks etc they have named along the route will get their fair share of travelling tourists and how could we forget the medal that will draw another bunch in :rolleyes:

''This is the PWC building''

''This is the convention centre''

''boring, boring, boring,''

''Christchurch Cathedral''

''boring, boring''

''Ballyfermot, run faster''

''Phoenix Park''

''Phoenix Park''

''Phoenix Park''

''Phoenix Park''

''Phoenix Park''

''Phoenix Park''

''This is the PWC building''

''This is the convention centre''

''boring, boring, boring,''

''Christchurch Cathedral''

''boring, boring''

''Ballyfermot, run faster''

''Phoenix Park''

''Phoenix Park''

''Phoenix Park''

''Phoenix Park''

''Phoenix Park''

''Phoenix Park''

Ah but you see they have worded it so much better :) quick sign up straight away.

Starting in Dublin’s Docklands area, running along the north side of the Liffey River, runners are in for a treat as they pass all of the fan favorites! After crossing over Memorial Bridge onto the south side, the route passes the famous Ha’Penny bridge (cue the photo opps!), Christ Church Cathedral, Brazen Head Pub (Ireland’s oldest pub), James Joyce Museum, and of course, no tour of Dublin would be complete without… the Guinness Brewery. Although, the smell of hops and barley will be fleeting, as runners continue on past the Royal Hospital and Kilmainham Gaol into Phoenix Park, one of the largest walled city parks in Europe. It’s there that the journey turns scenic as the route winds its way through the lush park, taking in the Wellington Monument, the Papal Cross, the President’s House (Áras an Uachtaráin) and the famous Dublin Zoo, finishing with a rockin’ concert in the park!

Ah but you see they have worded it so much better :) quick sign up straight away.

Starting in Dublin’s Docklands area, running along the north side of the Liffey River, runners are in for a treat as they pass all of the fan favorites! After crossing over Memorial Bridge onto the south side, the route passes the famous Ha’Penny bridge (cue the photo opps!), Christ Church Cathedral, Brazen Head Pub (Ireland’s oldest pub), James Joyce Museum, and of course, no tour of Dublin would be complete without… the Guinness Brewery. Although, the smell of hops and barley will be fleeting, as runners continue on past the Royal Hospital and Kilmainham Gaol into Phoenix Park, one of the largest walled city parks in Europe. It’s there that the journey turns scenic as the route winds its way through the lush park, taking in the Wellington Monument, the Papal Cross, the President’s House (Áras an Uachtaráin) and the famous Dublin Zoo, finishing with a rockin’ concert in the park!

Someone's journalism degree went to good use there! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Someone's journalism degree went to good use there! :P
    Sounds more like an estate agent's spiel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

Run back to car can be used as a cool down ;)

The people who did Samsung route must have came up with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I like it, gives me an idea for the Bay10k - what do you think? :P
    Starting in Newtownsmith a delightful row of terraced houses with sea views and running towards the historic Queen’s Road, runners are in for a treat as they briefly pass the Royal St. George Yacht club. Turning onto Marine Road thoughts can now wander to crossing the Irish sea and perhaps going on one of Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead’s famous booze cruises. Passing the newly built Marina and running parallel to the Dort you now make your way back to the main road passing the third oldest pub in Dublin, The Purty Kitchen, where many a love story has begun. Your journey then takes onwards though the stomping grounds of Meno and Martha, where the footpaths can tell many a harrowing tale as 20 mile LSRs grind slowly to a halt usually in March or September. Leaving the coast behind for a while you are in for a treat as 15th century village of Monkstown is just around the corner, once linked with Royalty, it’s now linked with restaurants and 2nd hand car dealers. No 10k of it’s worth would be complete without some climbing to test your running skills (our 10 week course on how to run hills is now available at a 5% discount to participants for €95) and you make your way to the high point of the course and Dublin’s 2nd most famous roundabout, Sallynoggin Roundabout (seconded only by Walkinstown). Downhill now and time to check out a recently refurbished roundabout and if you're lucky a glimpse of Killiney Towers. Still going downhill (a treat for the 2nd half of any race) you run through the magnificent residential streets of Glenageary and soon you pass the start line again, no time to stop for a Teddy’s ice cream though that will have to wait for later boys and girls the end is in sight now as crowds at least 2 deep applaud your efforts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dlr Bay it is. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

They posted the route map on their facebook page.

How in the hell did that get approval for national championships without a route pre-approved? That is a horrendously technical course with more twists and turns nevermind the spot where it appears to cross over itself. That should be fun and entertaining for the people up front racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It looks like a child just scribbled with a red marker on a map of dublin city centre

AKW wrote: »
    They posted the route map on their facebook page.

How in the hell did that get approval for national championships without a route pre-approved? That is a horrendously technical course with more twists and turns nevermind the spot where it appears to cross over itself. That should be fun and entertaining for the people up front racing.

Info on the approval available HERE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Hahahah- Shocking route. I actually really enjoyed this last year but I've run enough races w/ crap finishes in the hills in the PP to know what that looks like and will avoid this year. Pretty astonishing that they would route it like this seeing as they target tourists etc… I echo the comments above, so much for a City Centre HM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

TRR wrote: »
    Is that route fro real? Obviously they will have to have buses to bring gear from start to finish. I hope there are shuttle buses at finish bringing people back into the city as public transport that end of the park isn't great!

It's not that bad transport wise. Plenty of buses out on the Navan Rd via Ashtown gate or a couple of routes just outside the Castleknock gate. Ashtown train station is only 10 mins away too which will bring you to Connolly or Pearse. BTW the train is very handy for tomorrow's Dunboyne 4 mile too if anyone is running. Always thought it was a very under used facility for that race. ...and no I don't work for CIE before anyone asks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

It's not that bad transport wise. Plenty of buses out on the Navan Rd via Ashtown gate or a couple of routes just outside the Castleknock gate. Ashtown train station is only 10 mins away too which will bring you to Connolly or Pearse. BTW the train is very handy for tomorrow's Dunboyne 4 mile too if anyone is running. Always thought it was a very under used facility for that race. ...and no I don't work for CIE before anyone asks!

Public Transport on a Bank Holiday??hope nobody is in a rush back to the start!!!

• Advertisement

I hope there are extra luas into north wall quay for 7am on a bank holiday monday too :)

I assume they're claiming the change of route is due to the luas works? Not sure how much disruption that would cause at 8am on a bank holiday monday though...

Advertisement