Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC IRISH Ordinary Level - Before and after discussion **

Options
  • 30-05-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

So seeing as the higher level have their own thread I thought those doing ordinary level could have their own too :) what do you all think is coming up? Our teacher predicted Colscaradh,Gnathrud and Oisin. Hopefully Geibhinn comes up too and I wouldn't mind Caca Milis either. Hopefully Dis doesn't make an appearance. Anyone have predictions? :) Regarding the comprehensions my teacher reckons they might put Paudi O Se on, can't remember if she said anything about BOD or not. Pretty sure she mentioned a possible World Cup question too :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Anyone any idea about which story or email might come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Lol i havent looked at irish since jc, gonna do a night before job BE GRAAAAND

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Bump! Any predictions guys? :) what poems/stories are you focusing on for paper 2? I wish they had comprehensions on paper 1 tbh..it'd surely make more sense, a lot seems to be crammed into paper 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

We only covered 4 of the 7 stories/film. Hopefully the ones you predicted in first post come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My teacher was so bad for the last 3 years I have forgotten all my Irish.
    I'm not counting it in my leaving

• Advertisement

Well I hope not to need it. It's my only ordinary level subject but I don't wanna mess it up. Also, if I mess up a subject, it's good to have backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I defo need irish for points. Didn't really put effort in for the mocks and got a C1..would love a high B grade but terrified the oral screwed me over :(

I got 76 with basically no work. Oral went fairly well for an ordinary student.
    I really regret not trying the honours.
    I had a terrible teacher for JC. Still have him and struggled to get a C at HL in JC after never getting lower than 91 in first and second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 seanlennon2015

Well there has not been 1 film and 1 poem that havent come up , so there is deffinetely a major chance of them coming up , when it come to the functional writing , what my teacher says relate it to a holiday or accident as long as you you relate it to the question youll get top marks as, holiday and accidents are the easiest write about !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

I dropped to ordinary in the last week of school and I just need to know how long should e poetry answers generally be? Some of the lads in my school were saying only three or four lines is that true?

If so that's a relief coming from pages of higher level **** that didnt even make sense at the end

And the letter, is that just an address at the top, rattle off some things and sign off?

• Advertisement

I dropped to ordinary in the last week of school and I just need to know how long should e poetry answers generally be? Some of the lads in my school were saying only three or four lines is that true?

If so that's a relief coming from pages of higher level **** that didnt even make sense at the end

And the letter, is that just an address at the top, rattle off some things and sign off?

A full page and each poem because they will probably ask about the emotions, themes and weather you likes it or not. For the stories we might have to write a summary too which is about a page You write the address for the email or letter but not for the story

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

MrAweesome wrote: »
    A full page and each poem because they will probably ask about the emotions, themes and weather you likes it or not. For the stories we might have to write a summary too which is about a page You write the address for the email or letter but not for the story

Hey,
    Was just reading this thread :) My teacher has done 4 poems (I think) and we havnt looked at emotions,themes and weather ! Ahhhh - what will I do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 seanlennon2015

examstress wrote: »
    Hey,
    Was just reading this thread :) My teacher has done 4 poems (I think) and we havnt looked at emotions,themes and weather ! Ahhhh - what will I do ?

He or she spelled weather wrong it themes emotions and whether or not you like the poem , just a few line answers and quote from poem but not too much as you will loose mark i you quote the stanza !

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

He or she spelled weather wrong it themes emotions and whether or not you like the poem , just a few line answers and quote from poem but not too much as you will loose mark i you quote the stanza !

Sorry haha I was like weather ?!?

examstress wrote: »
    Sorry haha I was like weather ?!?

Haha sorry :) Yes, make sure to quote from the poems and just a few lines about each. You can use the same information for most of the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Haha I hope I pass this exam, it's my only ordinary level subject but I know absolutely nothing - barely attended class and I've done no study, don't even know the difference between words like cá, ceard, cen, cad etc... I hope answering those comprehensions and writing a story that I know since first year will get me 38% to pass at least

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LaurenC7

I was doing HL until the mocks and failed so I dropped to pass, my teacher has to be the worse teacher ever! My class was a mixed class but most should have been doing pass but she spent her time giving bad notes to HL people and forgot about the pass people so I havent done Irish since the JC and got a B I think so if anyone would like to help mainly for Paper 1 because she didnt give me like anything for the blogs and what not and I have never done a listening for pass either...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PsychoSull

Hey, so the Irish exam is Monday and i'm absolutely ****ting bricks and I'm thinking about doing the pass paper. I got 47% in the higher level pre, and that was knowing what essay, pro and poem was coming up! I'm not even going to go near the An Trial question simply because i don't know any of it and it's way too late to go studying it now. Is any one here in a similar situation? What are the odds of getting an A if i moved to pass? Would i be better off just sticking to honors? Help would be appreciated!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Im confused how many stories come up?

brijay wrote: »
    Im confused how many stories come up?

2 storys, hopefully Oisin and Gnathrud!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Very few get As in pass compared to higher. (2% vs 10% I think)
    Its not hard because few actually study the stuff. If you know more than the past tense and the summaries of the stories (?) youll do well

Yah Ive nothing done :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

How do we start off a letter? Like what's the proper format? I just dropped recently and dnt have an OL Book...

And for the sceal what's the basis? Like anything you have to do etc

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

MrAweesome wrote: »
    2 storys, hopefully Oisin and Gnathrud!

Did 3 stories not get asked on the mock? Seal inepal aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ELynch96

If you're going to drop you need to know how to write a letter that's one of the options

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tsire

PsychoSull wrote: »
    Hey, so the Irish exam is Monday and i'm absolutely ****ting bricks and I'm thinking about doing the pass paper. I got 47% in the higher level pre, and that was knowing what essay, pro and poem was coming up! I'm not even going to go near the An Trial question simply because i don't know any of it and it's way too late to go studying it now. Is any one here in a similar situation? What are the odds of getting an A if i moved to pass? Would i be better off just sticking to honors? Help would be appreciated!! :)

Well it really depends on how many points you're looking for and how many other pass subjects you already do. I dropped to pass Irish in October because I was doing all honours and didn't want to waste time on my worst subject.. Honestly, even if you got 10% in the higher level pre, I would say you'd get at least a B1 in the pass Irish tomorrow. Actually **** easy for people who have done honours for the majority of the leaving. I'm just studying maths today and am sort of expecting a B2 in Irish by studying just before the exam tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

Anyone have any idea what the essay titles could be?

what do you need to know for letter?

........................your name
    ........................your address
    ........................date
    ....their name
    ....their address

Pól, a chara,

blah blah blah

endling? how do you end it?

And is this layout correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mystery_who

Start:
    3 Bothar na Trà,
    Brè
    Chill Mhaintin
    Èire
    A Mhaire, a chara,

Beatha agus slàinte. Aoife anseo! Conas atà tu? Tà sùil agam go bhfiul tù i mbarr na slàinte. Maidir liom fèin, tàim ar mhun na mhuice!. Ta nuacht agam duit!.

MIDDLE:
    Bhuell...... (blah blah blah)

ENDING:
    Nìl aon sceil eile agam, scrìobh ar ais chugam.
    Lè grà,
    Aoife.

Spelling is probably awful, but that is normally how I structure my letters :)

im copying that word for word.....

Anyone else just looking to pass this? My oral was grand so with that, listening, story/letter and reading comps - Im pretty confident!

Im not gonna look at poems or stories at all I dont think, rather concentrate on other subjects

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

LoveLamps wrote: »
    im copying that word for word.....

Anyone else just looking to pass this? My oral was grand so with that, listening, story/letter and reading comps - Im pretty confident!

Im not gonna look at poems or stories at all I dont think, rather concentrate on other subjects

Same I just want to pass. Might look at the stories right before but not now. I know the stories in english but not really Irish.

Just write something even if you dont have a clue for the stories. Youll get some marks. Id say Ill pass with just paper 1, listening( blah blah blah Kings Of Leon blah :L) and at least 50% in the oral

Pointless exam.

Advertisement