Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest first time car insurance provider?

Options
  • 26-04-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

hello guys have a question regarding car insurance was wondering who is the cheapest provider of first time car insurance for young drivers???

im a first time driver and im looking to get some insurance on learner permit and i am currently doing driving lessons too. aged 17 and 18 in june.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hunter701 wrote: »
    hello guys have a question regarding car insurance was wondering who is the cheapest provider of first time car insurance for young drivers???

im a first time driver and im looking to get some insurance on learner permit and i am currently doing driving lessons too. aged 17 and 18 in june.
    have you ever been insured before and are you looking to be insured as a named driver or on your own car?

Also do you have a budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Stheno wrote: »
    have you ever been insured before

I'd suggest reading the post again. The answer is clearly no :pac:

It'll be expensive no matter what, ring every company and broker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If you are expecting to get insured on your own with a learner permit it will be around 4-5k

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd suggest reading the post again. The answer is clearly no :pac:

I thought so but wanted to be clear :D so when the op develops outrage at how much it wI'll cost we can empathise :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

biko wrote: »

Hey Im mentioned in there :D

Anyhow, you really have to go online and get as much online quotes you can. Then, call the insurance company themselves to try get down the price and let them know of the cheapest quote you got as they may try to match it or do better. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE CORRECT INFORMATION!!

Trying to get motor insurance for the first time will be hard and very expensive. It also depends on what kind of car you have - a friend of mine is 17 and bought his own Peugeot 206 and insurance was €2500 for him.

Hey Im mentioned in there :D

Anyhow, you really have to go online and get as much online quotes you can. Then, call the insurance company themselves to try get down the price and let them know of the cheapest quote you got as they may try to match it or do better. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE CORRECT INFORMATION!!

Trying to get motor insurance for the first time will be hard and very expensive. It also depends on what kind of car you have - a friend of mine is 17 and bought his own Peugeot 206 and insurance was €2500 for him.

That's cxheap ennough tbh

That's cxheap ennough tbh

Certainly is. Last year I went to go buy my own car - 17 yo, provisional and no experiece - wouldve cost me €5500 on a '02 Toyota Corolla!!

Basically the OP would be very lucky to get a quote of under €2500 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hunter701

have you ever been insured before and are you looking to be insured as a named driver or on your own car?

Also do you have a budget?

nope this is first time insurance and it is going to be on my own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If you live on a farm put your occupation as farm labourer. Will knock a bit off your quote.

• Advertisement

nope this is first time insurance and it is going to be on my own car.

As others have said 2.5k would be a good quote get online and onto brokers to get as many quotes as possible

yes i kinda have a bvudget too in around €800 a friend of mine said he got insured on his own name an a ford fiesta 1.2 zetec (learner permit) for €800 with one direct and my cuzin got insured for €800-900 on a volkswagen polo 1.0ltr so yeah i ahve a budget of €700-900 and i might wait till im 18 which is 2 months away

Chris___ wrote: »
    If you live on a farm put your occupation as farm labourer. Will knock a bit off your quote.

nope im not a farmer either just a typical irish lad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

FBD told me to join MACRA and that'll get 15% off the quote they gave me

i think i might wait till 18 but my driving instructor reccommends i get insurance asap and get practise on the road i know people who have got it for €800-900 so €2500 is a no go situation i priced insurance with fleury insurance birr and they said at 17 its €2150 so how much is it on my own name on a nissan micra 1ltr petrol aged 18 yrs (learner permit) thats what i want to know cuz i dont mind waitin 2 months until im 18

i think i might wait till 18 but my driving instructor reccommends i get insurance asap and get practise on the road i know people who have got it for €800-900 so €2500 is a no go situation i priced insurance with fleury insurance birr and they said at 17 its €2150 so how much is it on my own name on a nissan micra 1ltr petrol aged 18 yrs (learner permit) thats what i want to know cuz i dont mind waitin 2 months until im 18

It will most likely be the same

I don't believe anyone who claims they got it for 800

It will most likely be the same

I don't believe anyone who claims they got it for 800

I have my full licence and 1 yr experience as a named driver and I havent seen a quote of under €1800.

It actually cost me €800 to get insured on my parents car last year!

I have my full licence and 1 yr experience as a named driver and I havent seen a quote of under €1800.

It actually cost me €800 to get insured on my parents car last year!

i better get saving so LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

FBD quoting me 950 to get insured on the mammies Zafira 1.7 diesel but that will cover the other family vehicle too ( Peugeot expert van ) :P

19yo male and only 4 lessons done

i better get saving so LOL

my cousin sayd she got it for €800 cuz theyre with aviva for health insurance house insurance and the family car so maybe its cuz theyre buyin the package

but i still cant understand how she got it for €800

• Advertisement

my cousin sayd she got it for €800 cuz theyre with aviva for health insurance house insurance and the family car so maybe its cuz theyre buyin the package

She got a very good deal if its true :)

We have our farm, house, and 3 cars with FBD at the moment and Im still getting ridicolous quotes from them since im so young and taking out car insurance for the first time.

Although FBD gave the best price last year when I was getting insured on my parents car.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

Waiting til you are 18 will make no difference I'm 25 and still in or around 1200 for the year With full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

FBD quoting me 950 to get insured on the mammies Zafira 1.7 diesel but that will cover the other family vehicle too ( Peugeot expert van ) :P

19yo male and only 4 lessons done
    Is that full a full, year, somehow I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

For that money she is most likely named under her parents policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Kimiko2012 wrote: »
    Waiting til you are 18 will make no difference I'm 25 and still in or around 1200 for the year With full licence.

What do you drive?! I'm 24 y/o male with a 2.2 litre and mine's €1000 flat. You should surely be cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

€800 on their own policy at 18? Honestly no chance of it. I paid over €3000 last year at 17 on a permit. Depending on car an other factors I'd say your looking around the same. Unless your willing to go with someone like boxymo. Its monitored driving with a limited milage policy. May suit some but wouldn't be my cup of tea

She got a very good deal if its true :)

We have our farm, house, and 3 cars with FBD at the moment and Im still getting ridicolous quotes from them since im so young and taking out car insurance for the first time.

Although FBD gave the best price last year when I was getting insured on my parents car.

FBD are supposed to be dearer in the long run so i was told

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

FBD are supposed to be dearer in the long run so i was told

In the long run? You're not marrying them, only buying insurance for one year at a time. You can change every single year if you like.

Advertisement