Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expensive insurance (young new driver)

Options
  • 14-04-2015 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Just entered my details into the Axa website and got this insane quote, the car is barely worth 1000 euro, any ideas how I can get a cheaper quote than this?

Mod note, your name and quote number is on the image. These can used for identity theft.
    Please remove any personal details and upload image again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

What happens on a Micra instead of a March? Jap imports can often have extra loadings? Are you young? Have any NCB? Full licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    What happens on a Micra instead of a March? Jap imports can often have extra loadings? Are you young? Have any NCB? Full licence?

I'm seventeen, just got my license, only a provisional licence, the car is a one litre automatic and the only extras I can see on the car are electric windows, I had budgeted 2000 for insurance so this is a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

nerobert wrote: »
    I'm seventeen, just got my license, only a provisional licence, the car is a one litre automatic and the only extras I can see on the car are electric windows, I had budgeted 2000 for insurance so this is a shock

17, provisional and the word Jap. you are lucky they didn't just hang up.

a March is a very mild, inoffensive car for sure and you are on the right track with it. it's not the extras it has, but what it's missing in terms of a factory fitted immobilizer (most older Japanese cars don't have these) that makes them very easy to steal and scumbags know this, so it makes insuring them fairly expensive.

try a quote with the same year, Irish Nissan Micra and i'd say it will be a decent bit cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Just save your money and move to Canada ASAP lad. There's a long list of things you're just going to get robbed on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just entered my details into the Axa website and got this insane quote, the car is barely worth 1000 euro, any ideas how I can get a cheaper quote than this?
    Yes, shop around and try at least 5/6 more places.
    I halved my quote from axa to Britton.

Edit, ok your circumstance are much different from mine. Try ringing a few brokers and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The value of the car has little or no bearing on the risk associated with someone of your age and driving experience. A €1000 car driven by a young and inexperienced driver can potentially cost an insurance company the same in damages or injuries as a €100,000 car.

Also online quotes are designed to offer cheap prices to anyone that insurance company sees as a low risk. Deviate from those parameters and prices shoot up. There is no easy way or short cut to getting cheap insurance other than taking time and ringing around the various insurance companies and brokers.

As I suggested to another young driver, take the Avaiva Ignition course. It will cut your insurance down.

biko wrote: »
    As I suggested to another young driver, take the Avaiva Ignition course. It will cut your insurance down.

Ill look into this, the problem is the car was given to me, so I've no other choice I have to use this car

Here is the original screen shot for anyone interested.

That's fine.The car you have is "best" for a new driver so insurers will know this and give you a best price.
    Insurance is not priced on a certain level like food or pints - the cost will vary greatly. As I said before I cut my costs by 50% by using one over another. It's crazy but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Ill look into this, the problem is the car was given to me, so I've no other choice I have to use this car

No you don't. Sell the current one and buy another car if you get cheaper insurance.

zarquon wrote: »
    No you don't. Sell the current one and buy another car if you get cheaper insurance.

What car could be cheaper than micra? And plus it was given to me as a birthday present, and it would be a bit disrespectful selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭NN1

Boxymo are fairly cheap, but you have to get a black box fitted that monitors your driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I would go to First Ireland brokers. They are very nice to deal with and I think they'll give you the best price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OP an assumption but if you're driving around on your own expect a Fixed Penalty Notice and points. Try those quotes again with 2 and 4 points (assuming no L plates up).

You'd be better off spending your money on lessons and getting the test done. I also don't recommend learning in an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

biko wrote: »

I would say, before that, get your full license - it will cut your premium in half to begin with. Do the learning with a driving instructor / school car, and in the meantime keep your own car safe and off the road at home.

It's also worth trying a broker or two, they might be able to give you a deal that you can't find directly with the companies.

Thanks for the replies, and yeah I'm going to do my lessons in a manual, Im eager to get on the road so I went about getting quotes just so I could get an idea how much the insurance would be, I will take all these ideas on board, thanks

OP, try your luck with a 1.4 Focus. My insurance starting off was cheaper than lots of people I know (everyone I know, actually, I think?).

People I know started with Peugeot 206s, Fiat Puntos, Citroen Saxos, etc. but the Ford Focus seemed to work out in my favour.

OP an assumption but if you're driving around on your own expect a Fixed Penalty Notice and points. Try those quotes again with 2 and 4 points (assuming no L plates up).

What in the name of jaysus does any of that have to do with anything? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

I was in the same position as yourself exactly a year ago. 17, just got my provisional and was eager to get on the road. I went out and bought a '02 Corolla, worth approx €2k. When I went to go insure it, I got quotes back of approx €5k!!
    (Needless to say, the car had to go!)

Anyhow, I got insured on the family car (to add me on was €850), done my 12 lessons and done my driving test (passed).

My advice is for you to do your lessons and wait until you have your full licence to go looking at insurance.
    Before, they wouldnt even talk to me as I was 17, provisional licence, no experience and trying to insure a Jap.
    Now, Im 18, full licence and have 1 years experience done as a named driver!

Insurance on that particular Corolla has halved what it was this time last year for me :)

What in the name of jaysus does any of that have to do with anything? :confused:

There has been a recent change in the law, many are unaware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

If you are caught without displaying L or N plates then you get 1 penalty point and a fine.
    If you are a L driver and caught without being accompinied by a full licence driver of over 2 years, then you get 2 penalty points and a fine.

There are more legislations and rules, but they seem to be the main two. I was not aware of them myself until I heard them on the news one evening, and I really learned when I got stopped by guards that weekend!!

Also keep in mind that the most penalty points you can get on your Provisional is 6.

Believe me, once you get that test done then it is the best thing that will ever happen. I passed 2 weeks ago and am still on cloud nine!

Jacking up the insurance, of course becuase of the points. TBH rendering 17 year old uninsurable I would have thought. We all used to do it, not something I recomend these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The fact that there is, in Ireland, a marked issue where a lot of people consider a learner's permit as if it was a proper driving license, and use it not for learning but for just driving around, as if they had passed their exam?

Ireland is one of the EU countries where learner drivers have the best opportunities to practice properly and for long times, yet most choose to forego it and just pretend they learnt everything from a written test. Then we spend ages here complaining about roundabouts, lane discipline and so on. I wonder why.

OP, as you said, you were a bit eager...understandable, this is all new to you and...well, you have the enthusiasm of a 17 years old, afterall :)

Just take your time, things will fall in place.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The fact that there is, in Ireland, a marked issue where a lot of people consider a learner's permit as if it was a proper driving license, and use it not for learning but for just driving around, as if they had passed their exam?

But the OP never mentioned driving on his own, did he? Or did i just miss that.

It just seems every thread relating to learner drivers gets that 'issue' dragged into it.

But the OP never mentioned driving on his own, did he? Or did i just miss that.

It just seems every thread relating to learner drivers gets that 'issue' dragged into it.

I did it when I learned to drive, I know many who did, I even know a few barristers on circuit (driving God knows how many Kms per week) that did it. The reason I flag it is because now there has been a move to FPNs and a reduction in points it's ill advised to drive on your own.

The problem is people who are not familiar with the change, say ah sure you'll be grand we all did it. No bother but when we did it a guard was very unlikely to spend half a day taking us to court. Now it's a slap of a FPN, job done two points and unless you're a very rich teenager, no more car come renewal time.

In theory get caught speeding (so easy to do when you're an experienced driver let alone a Learner), without your L plates up and on a learners permit without supervision it could be a straight ban due to the six points.

Worth mentioning to OPs in these situations IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

I did it when I learned to drive, I know many who did, I even know a few barristers on circuit (driving God knows how many Kms per week) that did it. The reason I flag it is because now there has been a move to FPNs and a reduction in points it's ill advised to drive on your own.

The problem is people who are not familiar with the change, say ah sure you'll be grand we all did it. No bother but when we did it a guard was very unlikely to spend half a day taking us to court. Now it's a slap of a FPN, job done two points and unless you're a very rich teenager, no more car come renewal time.

In theory get caught speeding (so easy to do when you're an experienced driver let alone a Learner), without your L plates up and on a learners permit without supervision it could be a straight ban due to the six points.

Worth mentioning to OPs in these situations IMHO.

You wont get 6 penalty points in one go. They will fine you for all 3 but you will only get penalty points for the biggest point offense, ie speeding which is 3 points

9935452 wrote: »
    You wont get 6 penalty points in one go. They will fine you for all 3 but you will only get penalty points for the biggest point offense, ie speeding which is 3 points

Are they under a requirement to do that? If so could you provide a link, I know in practice they don't but it would be interesting to see if they are precluded from doing it.

Effectively for the OP's benefit 3 points would have him off the road anyway I'd imagine.

Are they under a requirement to do that? If so could you provide a link, I know in practice they don't but it would be interesting to see if they are precluded from doing it.

Effectively for the OP's benefit 3 points would have him off the road anyway I'd imagine.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2002/en/act/pub/0012/sec0002.html#sec2
    Road Traffic Act 2002 Section 2 says so for cases where multiple offences were detected at the same time.
    Para 2.3 : you get points for only one offence.
    Para 2.4 : the points given are for the offence with the greatest points

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

9935452 wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2002/en/act/pub/0012/sec0002.html#sec2
    Road Traffic Act 2002 Section 2 says so for cases where multiple offences were detected at the same time.
    Para 2.3 : you get points for only one offence.
    Para 2.4 : the points given are for the offence with the greatest points
    Isn't plagiarism meant to be some form of flattery or sumfin.:D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94933866&postcount=42

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Isn't plagiarism meant to be some form of flattery or sumfin.:D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94933866&postcount=42

Definately lol. Im surprised more here dont know about the penalty points thing. This is the at least the 3rd time it has been mentioned here in the last few months

Advertisement