Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young driver insurance

Options
  • 22-08-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi, am looking for affordable insurance for young female, passed test, 18, Corsa 1.2..have tried the usual suspects, all mad stuff 2500+...any suggestions?..it seems the car at 1200cc is too big-engined...would a sub 1 liter be a better bet?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Go for a 1.0 but you'll still pay big insurance til you get a NCB. Shop around but it is what it is. Expect to pay big money for a while at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It's best to bite that bullet and get the NCB built up asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I wouldnt have thought that a 1.2 Corsa would be much worse than most 1Ls for insurance. Maybe try a few smaller cars for quotes and see what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why don't you go on as a named driver? My son passed his test last year €1200 to put him on insurance on a 1.8 l car. He'll be going to college next month so he'll have to be put on as the main driver through my insurance which will be €300 year extra. You won't build up ncb but it will be cheaper to get insurance in your own name after a few years driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Why don't you go on as a named driver? My son passed his test last year €1200 to put him on insurance on a 1.8 l car. He'll be going to college next month so he'll have to be put on as the main driver through my insurance which will be €300 year extra. You won't build up ncb but it will be cheaper to get insurance in your own name after a few years driving.

They go by highest risk driver now. So premiums are basically the same. And that's not the case the NCB is what they want. Without your own one premium will still he high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

just got my sister her first time insurance there yesterday. she's 17 on a provisional with a 2000 1.0 yaris and aviva done it for 1300 3rd party fire and theft with my mother as a named driver on my sisters policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

just got my sister her first time insurance there yesterday. she's 17 on a provisional with a 2000 1.0 yaris and aviva done it for 1300 3rd party fire and theft with my mother as a named driver on my sisters policy.

Did you ring them or do it online?

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Did you ring them or do it online?

online. most quotes were coming in around €2k ish, so this was a tasty bit cheaper. it's a bare basics policy, but on a car like that, it's all she needs really.

They go by highest risk driver now. So premiums are basically the same. And that's not the case the NCB is what they want. Without your own one premium will still he high.
    So your're still considered a high risk driver if you have been driving 4-5 years as a named driver without any claims.

online. most quotes were coming in around €2k ish, so this was a tasty bit cheaper. it's a bare basics policy, but on a car like that, it's all she needs really.
    Ring them, I checked online to put my son on his own policy €1200 for a mazda 6 when I rang them it was €2,500 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I've heard this said a good few times but is it true for all of them? Brother was insured last year as a names driver through aviva for about 4k less than what his lowest quote was if it was in his own name.
    This year through a broker it's down to 950 as a named driver. Similar quotes in his own name on the same polo were coming in at around 3k

So your're still considered a high risk driver if you have been driving 4-5 years as a named driver without any claims.

Named driving experience means nothing in fairness; by definition a named driver is (or should be) the secondary driver of the vehicle and as such its not possible to define how much they would actually driven. Insurers may offer a discount based on named driving experience as a way to drum up business, but either way it still means you are starting from the bottom with no NCB and no real insurance experience in your own name.

I've heard this said a good few times but is it true for all of them? Brother was insured last year as a names driver through aviva for about 4k less than what his lowest quote was if it was in his own name.
    This year through a broker it's down to 950 as a named driver. Similar quotes in his own name on the same polo were coming in at around 3k

Probably not all of them. I asked the question of Liberty a while back (out of curiosity off the back of a thread on here); I actually asked do they have a criteria for the point at which a named driver much be declared the primary driver or does it matter, and the response that I got was that as far as they are concerned the highest risk driver on the policy forms the primary risk and the policy is priced accordingly. The girl I spoke to reckoned that it makes no odds who is named as the primary driver as the risk is taken into account either way in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Plus fronting is a form of fraud.

Whoever the main driver of the car is has to be the policy holder not a named driver.

Whoever the main driver of the car is has to be the policy holder not a named driver.
    FBD said that my son wouldn't be covered if he was the main driver but they could put him on as the main driver through my insurance for an extra fee. You are saying this is fraud :confused:

FBD said that my son wouldn't be covered if he was the main driver but they could put him on as the main driver through my insurance for an extra fee. You are saying this is fraud :confused:

How could he be a main driver on your policy ?

that doesn't make sense.

How could he be a main driver on your policy ?

that doesn't make sense.

You can nominate any driver you like on the policy as the main driver. The insurer will just price the policy accordingly.

Bear in mind you cant insure a car that you dont own, so if Mammy is letting little Johnny driver her car all of the time but doesnt want to sign it over to him then he cannot take out a policy in his own name on said car. Allowing her to name him as the primary driver on the policy gets around this.

Impossible to prove of course and hence most people aren't bothered how much they drive a car as a named driver.

I think most people started out driving as a named driver but basically driving the call all the time, I know I did.

Ring them, I checked online to put my son on his own policy €1200 for a mazda 6 when I rang them it was €2,500 :(

why would i do that :P

we bought the policy online with visa. seems legit. sister as the policy holder and mother as a named driver. competitive. i think it's all a bit of pot luck with insurance prices. aviva were well out of line when i went to renew my own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Looks like Boxymo are the lads for us, came in a good bit cheaper than the rest..Axa FBD, aviva, Bestquote, all a waste of time...funny enough, if a 1.0 Micra was entered as the car in question (rather than 1.2 Corsa), then the premium actually ROSE for some of the insurers.thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Tbh 2k at 18 is a good price.

I'm 26 provisional holder and my latest premium was 1200 after being 700 last year...even with another years no claims.

Must get my act sorted and get my full license. Have four years no claims built up now. Been eyeing a new car for a while and as a provisional driver nobody will insure me on anything over a 1.4

Can't wait for my Nonce plates ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If everything was done properly online, there is no need to ring. Just take the offered policy. But, I recall you mentioning in another thread that you would be the main driver on 2 vehicles under your policy, with your son being named driver.

Indeed, but some motorists, like the one quoted below seem to have no issue with fraud. Ah shure it's grand, coz ye won't be cot.

Except, it's not grand. People get seriously injured, or killed when certain drivers are fronted on cars they otherwise would find impossible to insure. I'm one of those injured people who was hit by a young driver on mammies policy in a high performance car. :mad:
    Impossible to prove of course and hence most people aren't bothered how much they drive a car as a named driver.

I think most people started out driving as a named driver but basically driving the call all the time, I know I did.

goz83 wrote: »
    If everything was done properly online, there is no need to ring. Just take the offered policy. But, I recall you mentioning in another thread that you would be the main driver on 2 vehicles under your policy, with your son being named driver.

Indeed, but some motorists, like the one quoted below seem to have no issue with fraud. Ah shure it's grand, coz ye won't be cot.

Except, it's not grand. People get seriously injured, or killed when certain drivers are fronted on cars they otherwise would find impossible to insure. I'm one of those injured people who was hit by a young driver on mammies policy in a high performance car. :mad:

The reason being his price went up when he called was because they took thencb off the quote since the ncb is already being used elsewhere. Very simple and works well in these situations where deserved

Quite simply why should a driver who had never driven before be giving a discount for good driving from someone else ?

Very sorry to here of your misfortune. Hope it wasn't a case where you had to jump through hoops to get sorted or took longer because of that ?

The great thing to take away from it is because of that mammy lost all her ncb and will have to declare that claim when she goes looking for insurance. ... even on her own ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Give a good broker a call - there are some out there that will apply a massive excess (3K) to keep the premiums down.

The reason being his price went up when he called was because they took thencb off the quote since the ncb is already being used elsewhere. Very simple and works well in these situations where deserved

As he was insuring a second vehicle, the ncb should have been 0 years for the online quote, but I suppose it is an easy mistake to make.
    Quite simply why should a driver who had never driven before be giving a discount for good driving from someone else ?

They shouldn't. I think insurers are going the right way in marking the higher risk driver, but I do think they are scum most of the time and try worm their their way out of everything possible.
    Very sorry to here of your misfortune. Hope it wasn't a case where you had to jump through hoops to get sorted or took longer because of that ?

Got compensated for my car (kind of. Book value, but not real value). PI takes much longer and I have yet to even put a claim in.
    The great thing to take away from it is because of that mammy lost all her ncb and will have to declare that claim when she goes looking for insurance. ... even on her own ! :)

It's of little consolation that mammy lost her ncb, when I have lost my ability to drive and have to get spinal surgery. Too often, motorists have a lax attitude to things like putting little Johnny on mammies policy, because it'll save a few quid. The attitude starts on smaller things and is usually to save a few euro. It can escalate to downright fraud and lead to serious accidents. This isn't aimed at you by the way KS&L. I'm just adding to the thread. I'm feeling a bit pished off tbh, as I am laying on my bed, in fukin agony right now and would love nothing more than to be able to go walk the dogs with my wife and kids on this lovely Saturday.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Give a good broker a call - there are some out there that will apply a massive excess (3K) to keep the premiums down.

Xcess D don't give new quotes, if that's who you're talking about. They pulled out a couple of months ago.

I'm very sorry to hear you were badly injured but adding someone as a named driver and allowing them to drive your car is perfectly legitimate and very common (it's not fronting either). What you are tying to say is adding named driver shouldn't be allowed which is madness.

Most people couldn't afford to get on the road without getting added to a parents car, it was costing me about 2000 punts to be a named driver on my mothers insurance on a 1.3 litre car when I started out driving years ago, my own insurance would have been totally unattainable with the prices.

I'm very sorry to hear you were badly injured but adding someone as a named driver and allowing them to drive your car is perfectly legitimate and very common (it's not fronting either). What you are tying to say is adding named driver shouldn't be allowed which is madness.

Most people couldn't afford to get on the road without getting added to a parents car, it was costing me about 2000 punts to be a named driver on my mothers insurance on a 1.3 litre car when I started out driving years ago, my own insurance would have been totally unattainable with the prices.

That's not what were saying.
    It's perfectly fine to put little one onto mammies policy providing it is nammies car and mammy is the main driver

Not the young one buying a car and putting mammy as the main driver to get cheaper insurance when it's not the case ! And the young one is the main driver.

As KS&L has said, it's not about adding ones children to a policy. It's when parents are on paper as the main driver of the car (especially high performance cars), but the policy holder will likely never sit behind the wheel of said car.

Its not easy getting first time insurance. I paid a hair shy of 5k on a 1.4 Astra 11 years ago, for TPFT. I can tell you that the very high cost of insurance made damn sure I drove more safely, if for nothing else, but to lower my premium the next year.

• Advertisement

As he was insuring a second vehicle, the ncb should have been 0 years for the online quote, but I suppose it is an easy mistake to make.

They shouldn't. I think insurers are going the right way in marking the higher risk driver, but I do think they are scum most of the time and try worm their their way out of everything possible.

Got compensated for my car (kind of. Book value, but not real value). PI takes much longer and I have yet to even put a claim in.

It's of little consolation that mammy lost her ncb, when I have lost my ability to drive and have to get spinal surgery. Too often, motorists have a lax attitude to things like putting little Johnny on mammies policy, because it'll save a few quid. The attitude starts on smaller things and is usually to save a few euro. It can escalate to downright fraud and lead to serious accidents. This isn't aimed at you by the way KS&L. I'm just adding to the thread. I'm feeling a bit pished off tbh, as I am laying on my bed, in fukin agony right now and would love nothing more than to be able to go walk the dogs with my wife and kids on this lovely Saturday.

Very sorry to hear that. It sounds like a very serious accident.

Was there someone acting the bollox ?

Advertisement