Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young driver insurance

Options
  • 16-04-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Well I have a full license and i'm 18. Getting done out of it on insurance though. Wondering where any of the rest of ye went and if anybody got their parents insured on their car and then they made themselves a named driver? Might work out dearer just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

.skid wrote: »
    Well I have a full license and i'm 18. Getting done out of it on insurance though. Wondering where any of the rest of ye went and if anybody got their parents insured on their car and then they made themselves a named driver? Might work out dearer just curious.

Abroad, where insurers don't penalise young drives so much as here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

When I was 18 I got insured for €2283 tpft on a rotten crock of a car as the main driver and no one else. That was on a 1.2 car that was 9 years old at the time

That might give you an idea of what it will cost but realistically ring every insurance company you can think of till you get a half reasonable quote

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭.skid

Ya doesn't look like I'll be getting in below 2000 tbh. Maybe mam will let me have her car for college...she can drive at the weekends :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ya doesn't look like I'll be getting in below 2000 tbh. Maybe mam will let me have her car for college...she can drive at the weekends :p

Don't think anyone ever really does tbh. All you can do is bend over for the first few years. NCB will stand to you later though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My bro got insured at 18/19 through Britton brokers for around 1000 when he was learning. And that was for a normal policy without any mad insurance excesses to worry about. I reckon you might have a chance of getting a similar price if you do a lot of shopping around.

What car do you have? This will have a fairly major impact on things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Have a look on FBD, they're giving me decent quotes on my own on high ish displacement engines > 2.5 so they should be able to give you a decent quote on a normal family car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you mean putting yourself as a named driver under a parent's policy on your own car then forget it. It has been attempted for decades and insurance companies are very wise to it. The policy holder must have an insurable interest in the car and the main driver must actually be the main driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

To be honest an awful lot of first time drivers get their car and put their parents as the main driver. This is all good and well if you are living at home and have a 'standard car' that wouldn't raise eyebrows if 50 year old mammy was to be the main driver. It works out cheaper than if you were in your own name, but you can't build up a proper no claims bonus this way. God forbid in the event of a crash, the insurance company can refuse to pay out if they find out that you are in fact the main driver, so I believe.... If it was me, and if I was at home, I would be getting my parents as the main driver for a year, in order to gain a bit of experience and save some money, and then take it from there. Some companies will recognise the years named driving experience, others won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

To be honest an awful lot of first time drivers get their car and put their parents as the main driver. This is all good and well if you are living at home and have a 'standard car' that wouldn't raise eyebrows if 50 year old mammy was to be the main driver. It works out cheaper than if you were in your own name, but you can't build up a proper no claims bonus this way. God forbid in the event of a crash, the insurance company can refuse to pay out if they find out that you are in fact the main driver, so I believe.... If it was me, and if I was at home, I would be getting my parents as the main driver for a year, in order to gain a bit of experience and save some money, and then take it from there. Some companies will recognise the years named driving experience, others won't.

I was using my dads NCB since I got my first car for 6 years, building my own NCB in the mean time. All perfectly legal, and saved me a lots of cash.
    But it wasn't in Ireland.

Advertisement