Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This is the best part about CX, looking at all the pictures afterwards. ;)

[note to self: need to improve my raceface]

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

You always have to have a race face. There are photographers everywhere. Make it look like it hurts :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

lennymc wrote: »
    You always have to have a race face. There are photographers everywhere. Make it look like it hurts :)

I had mine on as was focusing on catching someone just ahead ;)

10155175_10204492712331560_8256810422424179910_n.jpg?oh=af4a3d45a3e2549ca2e956504a7c1e02&oe=5513A231

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

you looked pretty serious alright robfowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

I had around 30 psi in both front and rear last sunday (clinchers). Grip was good but I felt the rim hit a couple of times so was lucky not to puncture. Im 82 kilos.

Nice :) I wouldn't risk that low - same weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Eamonnator wrote: »

CBPXXLSCX1_P1.jpg

That looks savage. This thread has me reconsidering my decision to go for a MTB when my BTW comes around again in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Have wanted that for an age, club colours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Lovely grassy course today in Castlebar. CX racing is great and with a little bit of imagination a tough tricky course can be hewn from the most innocuous looking grassland. A hill helps though and one was helpfully in situ.
    The kiddies had their race on a twisty slippy piece of fun in the lower corner of the course and then the seniors had their chance. The B race was led out in impressive style by a man on a fat wheeled MTB. Someone asked "Who is that?", to which the proudest voice ever proclaimed "That's my husband, and my son is in second place!" The jousting continued and the wife, in between her duties as diligent timekeeper, let us in on the sad state of husband's bowels ans sure enough his pace slackened appreciably on the later laps and the merciless efficiency of a man on an actual CX bike took the victory.
    The A race approached. Being a lover of the gridding I loitered near the startline and only 3 lads were called out for gridding and I slotted in thankfully on the second row, beside Paddy Clarke on an MTB. Unfortunately for him, Tim O'Regan was last having missed out on the loitering part of CX racing. As it happens he didn't need it but sure every little bit helps.
    Off we went and my big regret of the day is not having a camera on board for the first 40 seconds of carnage as lads fell over the place on the first three corners and one lad even jack-knifed his MTB on a slightly off-cambery bit. After that I found myself in 3rd with Paddy close by. Into the tree turn of slippiness and out again, around the copse of bushes and then the sloggy return up the grassy slopes and sure enough Tim was moving through the field.
    For the first 10 laps (of 14) we had a good battle but then he got ahead and pulled a good gap out and that essentially was that. I wouldn't get back and started making a few mistakes on corners where earlier I had been making time.
    Great to have a close race though while it lasted and thanks again to Mayo cycling league, Padraig Marrey and all the others who made it a great day out. The setting on the lakeside is stunning, as were the views over to Croagh Patrick, A mountain I have had the pleasure and pain of running up against Padraig for many years.

tl;dr - Mayo put on a good grassy CX race in very pictureque conditions. Tim O'Regan won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Proper Belgian style cross in Belfast today; loads of mud, sand, steps, run ups. Had a lot of fun. Probably the slowest A race I've seen so far, good few DNFs and field was really spread out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

nak wrote: »
    Proper Belgian style cross in Belfast today; loads of mud, sand, steps, run ups. Had a lot of fun. Probably the slowest A race I've seen so far, good few DNFs and field was really spread out.

Bit grumpy about it tbh, thought part were unridable but not even capable of running. All those I saw in parts had to hold on to poles to avoid falling on parts of the course.
    Never thought I'd say this but was simply dangerous and fecking stupid in places.
    First even cyclo cross race I felt I wasted my time travelling to and riding.

PICS OR GTFO!

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bit grumpy about it tbh, thought part were unridable but not even capable of running. All those I saw in parts had to hold on to poles to avoid falling on parts of the course.
    Never thought I'd say this but was simply dangerous and fecking stupid in places.

I loved it, was worse for the guys in the A race and everyone I spoke to thought it was a proper cross course. Glad I put studs in my shoes today, they were needed.

St Anne's is the most dangerous course I've ridden, that place scares the sh*te out of me.

St Anne's is the most dangerous course I've ridden, that place scares the sh*te out of me.

St Annes doesn't bother me at all and is probably my favourite course.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ah Nak, it's brilliant, no other CX course like it, nice and technical! :)

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ah Nak, it's brilliant, no other CX course like it, nice and technical! :)

It's more of a mountain bike course than a cross course with the drop offs. I do like some sections of it, but it is very intimidating. Know a few experienced A racers who are also scared of parts of that course. Ballawley is a pure cross course, plenty of technical stuff in that.

The Ulster league is following the UCI rules this year making the courses 3m wide, no singletrack so riders are able to overtake at any point on the course. I think it makes for better racing.

I thought yesterday's run up was bad until I saw this:
    http://www.vier.be/veldrijden/videos/francorchamps-samenvatting/246240

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 umami

I'm a bit baffled by your opinion on this race. I thought it was anything but dangerous and was the most enjoyable 'cross race I've done this year, north or south. I'd add to that by saying it was also a superbly run event by VC Glendale.
    It was a tough challenging course with areas that needed to be run due to lack of traction on slopes/ off-camber, but that's what you want on a course. Essentially a proper 'cross course - as stated by the winner of A race, Glenn Kinning, on his FB page so don't just take my word for it. The steep off-camber muddy banks were slippy for sure, but with full length studs and a bit of technique then there was no problem. It was a course that separated he wheat from the chaff and maybe got the better of you on a bad day.

• Advertisement

umami wrote: »
    I'm a bit baffled by your opinion on this race. I thought it was anything but dangerous and was the most enjoyable 'cross race I've done this year, north or south. I'd add to that by saying it was also a superbly run event by VC Glendale.

Certainly had a bad day but thought keeping the off camber decent was simply stupid given the muddy conditions. Almost everyone I saw had to hold on to the posts to avoid falling when turning. In near 30 years racing have never before packed because I thought it was unsafe.

We'll agree to disagree but I certainly won't be wasting my time or money returning to that course.

PS also did not see any medical cover.......

PS also did not see any medical cover.......

Don't recall seeing any at the other races I went to in Ulster. Were there any injuries? Didn't see any myself, just muddy bums. My husband crashed on the tarmac, but he is fine and used to crashing. Thought the off-camber twisty descent was quite like the Swords course.

Remember watching a pro race in Hoogerheide a couple of years back and a lot of the racers were having to slide down a hill covered in ice on their bums holding onto their bikes as they couldn't even run it. Hope we never have to do that.

A vid from the race (not mine).

Don't recall seeing any at the other races I went to in Ulster. Were there any injuries?.

Medical cover never needed until it's needed !!!

True, thought it would have been a requirement at all races. Better to have bored medics than none at all.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/cyclingirelandeventsafetycode1.pdf
    3. First Aid/Medical Cover
    All open events (as per Cycling Ireland’s General Administrative and Technical Regulations - “A race open to holders of
    full licences and/or restricted licences where appropriate and/or one day licences (excluding holders of club licences)
    which have been approved by the Cycling Ireland”) require, as a minimum, first aid personnel to be in attendance. The
    Safety Officer must assess the level of first aid required, steps to be considered include:
    • Is an ambulance required or are trained First Aiders sufficient;
    • Is it best for the ambulance/First Aiders to follow the participants or be placed at strategic locations?;
    • Brief first aid personnel (a First Aider is a person over 18 years old who holds a first aid certificate) on route details,
    likely hazards, event duration;
    • Ensure that first aid crew are easily contactable and test communications prior to the event start;
    • For mass-participation events ensure that participants are issued a “helpline” number;
    • Advise local hospitals of the event;
    • participant numbers, nature of the event etc.;
    • Ensure all marshals are aware of the first aid/emergency contact number;
    • Ensure that contact numbers for local hospitals, ambulance support crews are to hand.

It's a CI event so the race regulations would require a minimum number of first responders on the course (as deemed necessary by the commissaire), no? I can't imagine any CI commissaire being negligent in that regard.

Almost everyone I saw had to hold on to the posts to avoid falling when turning.

Are you talking about the bit coming down the bank as can be seen in the vid?

Almost everyone I saw had to hold on to the posts to avoid falling when turning. In near 30 years racing have never before packed because I thought it was unsafe.

We'll agree to disagree but I certainly won't be wasting my time or money returning to that course.

In the vid above that Raam posted, from 3:40+, you'll see a lot of the A riders didn't use posts, and those that did it did so more for leverage than for anything else... again long studs & good technique mitigated the "danger".

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Are you talking about the bit coming down the bank as can be seen in the vid?

Yep

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement