Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Phonewatch Alarm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭altor

tdavfc wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering could you let me know what my options are with Alarm Install. I purchased an Eircom Phone watch alarm and it is been fitted tomorrow, Simon XT wireless model. I was wondering what options do we have on the location of the Alarm Control Panel. We don’t really want in main Hall entrance as I am afraid they will run Conduit up walls for Power supply and phone connection. We have a utility room out the back where backdoor is located and Fuse Box. Could the control panel be located here and the phone line be connected into junction box in Attic?

We are getting a key fob with the system which should help but I was looking at accessories for the XT and there seems to be a wireless keypad we could put on wall at front door?? Or they also seem to do a touch screen version but it looks like it needs a power supply. Any help would be grateful as I am afraid the installer will force us to put in Hall and make a mess of wires.

Thanks,
    TDAVFC

It is up to you how and where you want the panel to be installed. Remember you are the customer at the end of the day. With regard getting cables for power and phone to the control panel you will need to agree on a route for these cables. There will be plastic trunken used to protect these cables.

Yes, that is correct with regard the remote touch pad. It is a much neater job if you dont want the cables ran in the hall.

I am not a fan of the SIMON XT, the tampers in the devises can cause problem plus the plastic used in the making of the devices is very weak. Thats my opinion. There was also a problem with the supervisory of the sensors.

Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tdavfc

altor wrote: »
    It is up to you how and where you want the panel to be installed. Remember you are the customer at the end of the day. With regard getting cables for power and phone to the control panel you will need to agree on a route for these cables. There will be plastic trunken used to protect these cables.

Yes, that is correct with regard the remote touch pad. It is a much neater job if you dont want the cables ran in the hall.

I am not a fan of the SIMON XT, the tampers in the devises can cause problem plus the plastic used in the making of the devices is very weak. Thats my opinion. There was also a problem with the supervisory of the sensors.

Hope this helps..

Thanks Altor for the quick and precise response as always... Dont know how you get to reply to everybody!!

Glad to hear we can choose area for panel. Not so glad you dont like the XT!!! I thought it looked reasonable when reviewing online with the amount of extras we could add to the system and use of it after we give up the monitoring next year.. I should have asked your opinion before I ordered!! I can give it back after 30 days!!

Thanks,
    TD

tdavfc wrote: »
    Thanks Altor for the quick and precise response as always... Dont know how you get to reply to everybody!!

Glad to hear we can choose area for panel. Not so glad you dont like the XT!!! I thought it looked reasonable when reviewing online with the amount of extras we could add to the system and use of it after we give up the monitoring next year.. I should have asked your opinion before I ordered!! I can give it back after 30 days!!

Thanks,
    TD

Always try my best tdavfc :D

If that is the case there are a lot of alarms with different features than you could of got installed plus you could of self monitored the alarm from day 1.
    If the alarm is not already installed you still have the option to cancel but that is up to you. I would check to see if the return policy has any clause for payment of installation if you do plan on returning in 30 days :D At lease if you did return the alarm after 30 days you have the phone and power where you want it, makes a handy install for whoever comes in behind them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 red robbin

Hi Altor,

Just wondering if you would recommend a system that isn't too expensive but would monitor a front door and 2 patio doors (do not know if it they are wired or not). Also, do you work & if so do you offer a fitting service?

Many thanks in advance - I am so impressed with all the great info you are providing to people!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For something that basic take a look at the Powermax kit.
    Check out Northwood Technology on the suppliers sticky.
    Its wireless and would be very easy for a self instal.

red robbin wrote: »
    Hi Altor,

Just wondering if you would recommend a system that isn't too expensive but would monitor a front door and 2 patio doors (do not know if it they are wired or not). Also, do you work & if so do you offer a fitting service?

Many thanks in advance - I am so impressed with all the great info you are providing to people!

Hi red robbin,

I always try my best to help :D

If there are cables at your doors and windows then wired is what you will require, if not then you will need a wire free system. HKC, POWERMAX or SIGNET would be good systems to get installed. Feel free to P.M. me if you want to initiate contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stee.mc79

Hi red robbin,

I always try my best to help :D

If there are cables at your doors and windows then wired is what you will require.
    How much would a wired system be, which is the best? Also live out in the sticks in a small estate so don't want false alarms goin off annoying people next door. Work is along way from home.

stee.mc79 wrote: »
    How much would a wired system be, which is the best? Also live out in the sticks in a small estate so don't want false alarms goin off annoying people next door. Work is along way from home.

Hi stee.mc79,

The price of a system would depend on what you want covered e.g. windows, doors, motions detectors, smoke detectors plus what you want from the alarm. If you want to monitor the alarm yourself, a text or voice dialer can be fitted to most alarms for use with your landline plus if you wanted remote access to the alarm for setting/unsetting plus to get a text when the alarm goes off a GSM could be fitted. The best option would be to get a few companys to call out and do a site survey of your premises. They will also give you a price guide of what the system will cost installed. Anything from 500Euro up expect to pay for a good wired system. Alarm systems installed to the EN50131 standard have a cut off time of 15 minutes for external and internal bells.

If you need any more info let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stee.mc79

Hi stee.mc79,

The price of a system would depend on what you want covered e.g. windows, doors, motions detectors, smoke detectors plus what you want from the alarm. If you want to monitor the alarm yourself, a text or voice dialer can be fitted to most alarms for use with your landline plus if you wanted remote access to the alarm for setting/unsetting plus to get a text when the alarm goes off a GSM could be fitted. The best option would be to get a few companys to call out and do a site survey of your premises. They will also give you a price guide of what the system will cost installed. Anything from 500Euro up expect to pay for a good wired system. Alarm systems installed to the EN50131 standard have a cut off time of 15 minutes for external and internal bells.

If you need any more info let us know.
    Will do thanks altor

• Advertisement

stee.mc79 wrote: »
    Will do thanks altor

Your welcome stee.mc79.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Thanks a million for fixing that problem Altor.
    Hopefully that'll be the end of all those false alarms! :D

I certainly will be recommending you to anyone looking for work like this to be done.

Your welcome Heroditas, always happy to help :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

+1 :)

Thanks Altor for your help on Tuesday evening !! Alarm is as quiet as a mouse now. I was beginning to hear that beep in my head when I wasn't even at home !! You certainly know your business !!

Also thanks for the mail explaining the proceedure for setting up the Dialer. Perhaps you could explain something to me about that though if you could ? If a SIM isn't topped up for a number of months the carrier usually cancels the number I think. How do you get around that without building up credit that will rarely and hopefully never be used ?

Again thanks for your expertise and patience the other evening.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    +1 :)

Thanks Altor for your help on Tuesday evening !! Alarm is as quiet as a mouse now. I was beginning to hear that beep in my head when I wasn't even at home !! You certainly know your business !!

Also thanks for the mail explaining the proceedure for setting up the Dialer. Perhaps you could explain something to me about that though if you could ? If a SIM isn't topped up for a number of months the carrier usually cancels the number I think. How do you get around that without building up credit that will rarely and hopefully never be used ?

Again thanks for your expertise and patience the other evening.

Ken

Your welcome Ken,

Always happy to help if I can.

What I would do is get a ready to go sim, register it on line so you can check the credit plus top it up if needs be on line with out having to get the sim out of the GSM. Some service providers let you top up by €5. If you activate the alarm once every 5 months e.g. a panic, and receive a call from the alarm plus top up by €5 they wont take back the sim number.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 drico1

just moved into a house that had eircom phonewatch - we cancelled the subscription. GE Concord model i think.

my query is how do i now go and change the password - panel is pretty counter-intuitive with no up or down buttons. Any one know how to change the password?

ive tried pressing menu and then putting in my code which is accepted but then if i press any buttons it doesnt seem to provide any further menu type options.

on a separate note when i chose "home" which basically inhibits the internal sensore the flippin thing beeps about 10 times which is all well and good if you dont have light sleeping kids in the house! any idea how to amend this?
    any help appreciated.

• Advertisement

drico1 wrote: »
    just moved into a house that had eircom phonewatch - we cancelled the subscription. GE Concord model i think.

my query is how do i now go and change the password - panel is pretty counter-intuitive with no up or down buttons. Any one know how to change the password?

ive tried pressing menu and then putting in my code which is accepted but then if i press any buttons it doesnt seem to provide any further menu type options.

on a separate note when i chose "home" which basically inhibits the internal sensore the flippin thing beeps about 10 times which is all well and good if you dont have light sleeping kids in the house! any idea how to amend this?
    any help appreciated.

Press 9 then put in your user code. This will bring you into your user menu. In here you can change the code. To exit the user menu put in *6#.

For silent arming press #5 (2 or 3) code.

wow thanks altor - you know your stuff!

do you know if there are manuals online? ive had a look but nothing really coming up

wow thanks altor - you know your stuff!

do you know if there are manuals online? ive had a look but nothing really coming up

I have put in that many I know them in side out :D

Here is the user manual for the concord panel, if you need any more help let me know.

http://altor.ie/doc/concord_user_manual.pdf

Thanks again altor - 1 final query - the manual talks about "system" or "partition master" codes. I was basically given 1 code which i presume is a user code - will that allow me to perform these administration functions?

Thanks again altor - 1 final query - the manual talks about "system" or "partition master" codes. I was basically given 1 code which i presume is a user code - will that allow me to perform these administration functions?

Thats correct, you have the master user code which will allow you perform these tasks from your user menu. If you wanted to add devices you would need the engineer code off the alarm. If you have any paper work off the alarm more than happy to help you work out the code.

• Advertisement

Hi altor

added a user code as you instructed in position 01 - however it still seems to accept the old code aswell. Basically i am trying to get rid of the old master code or at least edit it to the new number - is this possible?

maybe ignore last message - i think the manual explains it (on the very last page!)

Hi altor

added a user code as you instructed in position 01 - however it still seems to accept the old code aswell. Basically i am trying to get rid of the old master code or at least edit it to the new number - is this possible?

What you added was just another user. That is why both codes work to arm/disarm the alarm. What you need to do is scroll past the user to the master code and change this. This menu will only appear when you use the master code to enter the user menu so dont use the new code you entered. Dont forget to delete the new user code you added as you may want this for the new master code.

Any problems let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭joe1303l

As usual, Big thank you to Altor for all his help with setting up my 2003 version phonewatch alarm to call my mobile when the alarm is triggered.
    He knows these systems inside out. Just as well as the Concord panel aint exactly user friendly !

joe1303l wrote: »
    As usual, Big thank you to Altor for all his help with setting up my 2003 version phonewatch alarm to call my mobile when the alarm is triggered.
    He knows these systems inside out. Just as well as the Concord panel aint exactly user friendly !

Your welcome joe1303l.
    It is not the most straight forward panel but I have installed enough to know how to work them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

can anyone pm me a price for a ge simon 3 or simon xt panel and 4 shock/reed sensors?is there an external bell that can go with these panels? hkc/aritech. cant find them anywhere for a decent price!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Look at Visonic Powermax or wait for HKCs new panel due at the end of March.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Look at Visonic Powermax or wait for HKCs new panel due at the end of March.

hkc are bringing out another panel? i just bought the 10-70 panel and replaced my 8-12 with it.got it along with a screened sabb for 200. does anyone one how to set it to announce the zones that are open when going to arm it

hkc are bringing out another panel? i just bought the 10-70 panel and replaced my 8-12 with it.got it along with a screened sabb for 200. does anyone one how to set it to announce the zones that are open when going to arm it

The new panel is called Quantum 70.

wired/wireless or hybrid? when is it due for realese?any pics of it:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Read on a thread, will be 1 wired zone and more aimed at the wireless market. If you have the SecureWave system upgraded, I wouldn't bother about the new 70 wireless zone panel. It will be out at the end of march.

Mainly wireless with 1 or 2 hardwired zones
    There is a very quick view here @ 3:15 (Thanks Altor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Specs and a picture are in this months risk manager.
    That's not it in the video.

Jnealon wrote: »
    Specs and a picture are in this months risk manager.
    That's not it in the video.

If anyone wants a browse you can read that here.
    http://issuu.com/anndaly/docs/risk_manager_magazine_spring_2010

One wired zone but you could put 10 point ID devices on to it. You are well covered with the Securewave installed. The new panel has a dialer built in for voice which is always handy to have. Out the end of this month.

One wired zone but you could put 10 point ID devices on to it. You are well covered with the Securewave installed. The new panel has a dialer built in for voice which is always handy to have. Out the end of this month.
    wasnt goin to upgrade only put the secure wave in!!! any more vids?thank lads!!:) would be great if they updated the secure wave & securewatch panels to have full voice prompts. is there any way of linking my secure wave to my computer to change some of the audio libary words >>doesnt say ''room'' very well...just a thought! thanks for the help so far:D

also just wanted to ask..installed an aritech siren(red led's) at the back of the house but looped the tamper in the bell because im not sure how to link the tamper in with my other bell..:confused: can i wire the tamper to a zone on the panel and set it as a tamper zone:confused:

wasnt goin to upgrade only put the secure wave in!!! any more vids?thank lads!!:) would be great if they updated the secure wave & securewatch panels to have full voice prompts. is there any way of linking my secure wave to my computer to change some of the audio libary words >>doesnt say ''room'' very well...just a thought! thanks for the help so far:D

You are really asking for a lot hear :D It is the manufacturer who can only do this.

You would need a very good hacker for that...;):rolleyes:

• Advertisement

also just wanted to ask..installed an aritech siren(red led's) at the back of the house but looped the tamper in the bell because im not sure how to link the tamper in with my other bell..:confused: can i wire the tamper to a zone on the panel and set it as a tamper zone:confused:

Very easy to do. All you do is put the tamper in series with the tamper return off the bell. Use only one resistor.

Also look out for a relaunch of GSDs wireless panel at ISEC .
    Claiming 5 years battery life.
    I love the wireless digi.;)

Also look out for a relaunch of GSDs wireless panel at ISEC .
    Claiming 5 years battery life.
    I love the wireless digi.;)

Looks good, can that device poll to a monitoring station ?

Very easy to do. All you do is put the tamper in series with the tamper return off the bell. Use only one resistor.
    ok i understand that part..but is the sabb hold part of the tamper circuit? the one thing i didnt do when on work exp was wire 2 bells;) btw its actually an old hkc bell i stuck a sticker on it!thanks altor

ok i understand that part..but is the sabb hold part of the tamper circuit? the one thing i didnt do when on work exp was wire to bells;)

Thats how it is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BraveInca

Hi, I'd like to switch my Simon alarm to call my mobile. I saw the instructions from Altor above. I thought I had the correct Engineer code, but I guess I don't because when I opne the panel it just keeps sayin "use numbered keys to enter ID" over and over again no matter what I put in...

My account number is in the form nnnnnnnn/AAnnnn - any chance anyone could PM me the way to derive the code from that?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Looks good, can that device poll to a monitoring station ?

Don't think so. Is there any PSTN digis that can.?

Don't think so. Is there any PSTN digis that can.?

Not that I know of either.

BraveInca wrote: »
    Hi, I'd like to switch my Simon alarm to call my mobile. I saw the instructions from Altor above. I thought I had the correct Engineer code, but I guess I don't because when I opne the panel it just keeps sayin "use numbered keys to enter ID" over and over again no matter what I put in...

My account number is in the form nnnnnnnn/AAnnnn - any chance anyone could PM me the way to derive the code from that?

Thanks!

More than happy to help. I have sent you a P.M.

More than happy to help. I have sent you a P.M.

Altor - thanks so much for the PM and subsequent call - the first thing you suggested was correct and I'm sorted now :)

You will need engineer access to the alarm to set this up. I will send you a P.M regarding the engineer code. Drop the lid, enter engineer code. Delete option 04 done, delete option 05 done, delete option 06 done. Add option 43 "enter the phone number you want the alarm to ring" done. Add option 44, 10 done. Add option 17, 20, done.

One last thing - I followed these instructions and all was fine, except on the very last step when I entered "20" and "done" it told me "invalid". Despite this, when I did the phone test it seemed to be working fine - it called my mobile - so I'm not sure if this last option 17,20 is important?

Oh, the last, last thing: do the "Emergency" buttons now call my mobile as well? I'm scared to test in case I get a fire engine pulling up outside!

Thanks again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement