Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl plans Castleknock store

Options
  • 18-06-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

http://rodericogorman.com/?p=1965

As per above, Lidl as applied for a supermarket where the Castleknock Flower shop was/is located. Personally I'd have preferred an Aldi as D15 has enough Lidls in my opinion. Either way, it's better than nothing and it along with a restaurant, medical centre and other shops will generate employment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Here is a link to the application FW14A/0065.

This map shows the site location, squeezed between the surrounding estates and buildings.

This shows the location and some of the views, though the pics are really bad quality because they've been scanned (so that FCC can stamp the planning application number on the pages).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Similar to the rejection in Clonsilla village for Aldi I have a funny feeling this will not pass planning due to traffic congestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Another retailer previously looked into moving in that general area but they themselves decided not to take the site because of traffic and congestion issues, it was too much hassle to do anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

quazzy wrote: »
    Similar to the rejection in Clonsilla village for Aldi I have a funny feeling this will not pass planning due to traffic congestion.

There where also a 100+ appartments to be built that was the big issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Even without the apartments. I'm not sure the village could take the extra traffic. Somewhere near the race course or N3 would make more sense. But I'd be glad we can avoid the Blanch Centre to get to Lidl or Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Malish

I'm all in favour of progress but ....as a resident of Castleknock Park where they intend to include a pedestrian walk way across our only green I have serious objections to that plan.
    There is already a chronic parking / traffic problem in the estate from the school and the 900 children and staff that attend it - drop off and school collections three times a day during the week - Church overflow on the weekends, is just about bearable as it is. Our children are entitled to safe access and egress to a school without the extra risk of developing our area into an overflow carpark and the increased traffic that would entail.
    For an estate of approx 120 houses the small patch of grass that they propose to change into a pedestrian walk way is the only communal green for our children to use - at present we use it as a football play area and the local children collectively bought the goals - the importance of a green in increasingly urban setting cannot be underestimated.
    If the development cannot provide sufficient parking on the site themselves they should not be allowed to proceed.
    Castleknock village itself is choked with traffic on a good day, something that should also be given serious consideration by the powers that be!!

Malish wrote: »
    I'm all in favour of progress but ....as a resident of Castleknock Park where they intend to include a pedestrian walk way across our only green I have serious objections to that plan.
    Which doc shows the pedestrian walk way into Castleknock Park? I cannot find it.
    Castleknock village itself is choked with traffic on a good day, something that should also be given serious consideration by the powers that be!!
    You need to put that in writing, along with 20 euro.
    Full details on FCC web site.

As per Roderick O'Gorman's www

"The number of parking spaces for the proposed development is 98, which is significantly less than the original application had. I would be concerned that this may result in surrounding estates being used as overflow car parks, which would have a detrimental effect on local residents. In particular, I would be concerned that the proposal to allow pedestrian access from Castleknock Park to the new development could see that cul de sac becoming jammed with cars (see Appendix A). I do not see the case for pedestrian access at this point."

Don't worry we have €20 in hand to post to Fingal CC.
    The inclusion of a proposed pedestrian access in the plans would have a disastrous impact on the families in our estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

The traffic is a big issue but I could definitely see Castleknock Park being used as an over flow car park. I'm also fairly wary of any 'new street' that once the shops close might attract anti social behaviour.

That aside there's an opportunity to do something fitting with the village respecting the potential of the St. Brigid's as an building of distinction. Imaginative planners in Fingal co co could make the village something special, sticking a Lidl in the middle of it won't do that.

Rightly this type of development was declined in Clonsilla but you can bet your life it wouldn't stand a chance in Malahide or Dalkey.

Remains to be seen how our new Councillors perform on the issue, sitting on the fence and just notifying residents isn't good enough.

Rightly this type of development was declined in Clonsilla but you can bet your life it wouldn't stand a chance in Malahide or Dalkey.

Remains to be seen how our new Councillors perform on the issue, sitting on the fence and just notifying residents isn't good enough.[/quote]

I agree, definitely it's a chance for the local councillors to consider the need of the locality and vote accordingly and get off the fence!!! Accepting a Lidl style development is not what the village needs!! As you rightly highlighted it would never have gotten this far in Dalkey / Malahide.
    Apparently there is a meeting in the school gym tonight for Castleknock Park residents & a meeting in Myos on Wednesday to allow open discussion for Castleknock residents.

• Advertisement

Accepting a Lidl style development is not what the village needs!! .

Do castleknock people not shop in Lidl ?

From Roderic O'Gorman

"A planning application for a significant development on the ‘Flower Shop’ site in Castleknock village has been submitted. The proposed development will consist of a Lidl supermarket, a restaurant, a medical centre and other shops. The proposed development is on the same ‘site as the controversial five story Uxbridge development, which was given planning permission in 2010."

A proposal like this did get planing permission in2010 , the only really change appears to be a reduction of car park space and the pedestrian access, which can be dealt with if people submit an observation to it.

When theres problems of over development and traffic, what you don't need it more development and more traffic.

Is that hard to understand? I dunno what the planner are thinking off. Maybe the idea to stop all cars at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 suzanneantonia

There should be a rule as to the limit of how many the same businesses can actually be created in one area.

Where is the common sense in this proposal & How can we as residence object to this with success?

Ireland businesses and housing devolpers can build literally were ever day please.

Its really unrealistic to build more in such a small location

oblivious wrote: »
    Do castleknock people not shop in Lidl ?

They do, as there are three to choose from within a 3 mile radius, surely that is enough of a presence of Lidl in Dublin 15!!!

From Roderic O'Gorman

"A planning application for a significant development on the ‘Flower Shop’ site in Castleknock village has been submitted. The proposed development will consist of a Lidl supermarket, a restaurant, a medical centre and other shops. The proposed development is on the same ‘site as the controversial five story Uxbridge development, which was given planning permission in 2010."

A proposal like this did get planing permission in2010 , the only really change appears to be a reduction of car park space and the pedestrian access, which can be dealt with if people submit an observation to it.

If there is insufficient provision for car parking the knock on effect on the village will block the already congested roads.

If there is insufficient provision for car parking the knock on effect on the village will block the already congested roads.

An that's where people need to put in observation to the planning for the car park spaces. But there was an award to a some what similar development in 2010 and the effect of traffic for that application would have been take into account

• Registered Users Posts: 10 suzanneantonia

Just posted a short article I done on the Phoenix FM website

Rosser wrote: »
    That aside there's an opportunity to do something fitting with the village respecting the potential of the St. Brigid's as an building of distinction. Imaginative planners in Fingal co co could make the village something special, sticking a Lidl in the middle of it won't do that.
    The interesting thing is that the proposal is as a result of a number of pre-planning application meetings with senior planners in FCC (Section 3, page 9). Those meetings insisted on reducing the number of surface car parking spaces.
    As per Roderick O'Gorman's www

"The number of parking spaces for the proposed development is 98, which is significantly less than the original application had. I would be concerned that this may result in surrounding estates being used as overflow car parks, which would have a detrimental effect on local residents. In particular, I would be concerned that the proposal to allow pedestrian access from Castleknock Park to the new development could see that cul de sac becoming jammed with cars (see Appendix A). I do not see the case for pedestrian access at this point."

Don't worry we have €20 in hand to post to Fingal CC.
    The inclusion of a proposed pedestrian access in the plans would have a disastrous impact on the families in our estate.
    I see a "proposed pedestrian access" but it looks like it goes between the petrol station and shoe repair building, not Castleknock Park. I don't know where Appendix A is.

The summary says: "provision is made for new pedestrian connections to adjoining sites." but none are shown as to be completed. In fact it comments that there is a wall between the development and Castleknock Park.

Rosser wrote: »

The is a write up about this in the blanch gazet "Project refused but fear persists rejected"

One of the reasons for refusal set out by the council was that it considered that “the proposed development would represent the underutilisation and the inefficient use of serviced and zoned lands”.

http://www.gazettegroup.com/category/news/news-blanchardstown/

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

this would have ruined the village, an ugly idea, luckily it was shot down

I'm sure a lidl would be more suited to somewhere along the race course by pass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

oblivious wrote: »
    The is a write up about this in the blanch gazet "Project refused but fear persists rejected"

One of the reasons for refusal set out by the council was that it considered that “the proposed development would represent the underutilisation and the inefficient use of serviced and zoned lands”.

http://www.gazettegroup.com/category/news/news-blanchardstown/

Interesting that the council want more development (or is it that they want residential as well as commercial?) while the local objectors wanted less development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Godge wrote: »
    Interesting that the council want more development (or is it that they want residential as well as commercial?) while the local objectors wanted less development.

What is required, is sympathic development that does not look out of place in a "village" setting.

And some common sense that its a massive bottleneck for traffic area now. Never mind when you add more development.

I see Dabiza (Lidl) have appealed to An Bord Pleanala

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Hard to believe this saga started in 2014 per the timestamp of the last posts in this thread but the An Bord Pleanala hearing is currently underway. IT gives a good overview of local TD objections. I'm all for progress and expansion of the retail landscape to offer more choice, value and job creation for the local area but I do agree this particular site is bedlam for traffic at the best of times and adding a supermarket would create further chaos.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/proposed-castleknock-lidl-development-a-monstrosity-hearing-told-1.2958171

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

beauf wrote: »
    Even without the apartments. I'm not sure the village could take the extra traffic. Somewhere near the race course or N3 would make more sense. But I'd be glad we can avoid the Blanch Centre to get to Lidl or Aldi.

Go to the Lidl in Tyrellestown. No need to go near the Blanch Centre.

Knine wrote: »

Unfortunately they built the centre bang in the middle of all transport routes for the area. So once it's busy it backs up and effects everywhere else. Id have go through done of that to get to tryellstown.

I can be quicker to get to Liffey valley than blanch or tryellstown. Or city centre to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Knine wrote: »

Dont forget Blakestown and Clonee :)

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Dont forget Blakestown and Clonee :)

I didn't. They also get caught up in the grid lock from the centre. Or at least the easiest routes to them.

Anyway we're getting off topic. The point is traffic is brutal around d.15. one of the key arteries is castleknock road. Very little will have an big impact on local traffic.

Thus far thought there seems to be a policy of build with out any regard to traffic issues. Or local concerns. Which why traffic is so much worse in d.15 these days. The planning and design of junctions and roads seems abysmal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

So much of D15 is a mess from distributor roads and estates with one entrance that inevitably clogs up for school runs and commuting time. So many employers are located away from the huge residential areas and car dependence is incredibly high for a relatively new-built area.

Most people I've met from here can't imagine life without a car and this in an area which has a train line running through much of it. It really makes you think how things are run in this country and with Fungal county council in particular.

Advertisement