Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Please God somebody tell me that Edelman is going to be QB for the Pats this week? If they were to do that, and win, I think we'd have a new bar for weird, wacky and awesome in the world of the NFL.

That Edelman is some handy fecker to have around, eh? :p

I reckon if that did happen and they broke 100-150 yards in the air while getting double digit points it would be a remarkable achievement in and of itself, regardless of the final scoreline. And I wouldn't be shocked if it did either; Belichick is pretty much the Darth Vader of the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Billy86 wrote: »
    That Edelman is some handy fecker to have around, eh? :p

I reckon if that did happen and they broke 100-150 yards in the air while getting double digit points it would be a remarkable achievement in and of itself, regardless of the final scoreline. And I wouldn't be shocked if it did either; Belichick is pretty much the Darth Vader of the NFL.

Always thought of him as the Emporer, with the hoodie and all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

I don't get why people think it would be weird for Edelman to step in as a QB on Sunday. The guy was a QB all through HS and College and knows the Pats system better than anyone else and actually has a decent arm. Fun video to watch.

High school QB and NFL QB are two different positions in two different sports, to be fair. Though it is the reason he has been mentioned. If they do line him up there, expect to see some incredibly unorthodox play-calling throughout (unless they amass a good lead, in which case... pound, pound, pound the ball with the occasional scramble, short slant or screen). My guess, at least.

High school QB and NFL QB are two different positions in two different sports, to be fair. Though it is the reason he has been mentioned.

I love how you left out college QB in your post and I know there is a big difference but it doesn't change the fact he is and was a QB by trade.

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    I love how you left out college QB in your post and I know there is a big difference but it doesn't change the fact he is and was a QB by trade.
    Hi there, maybe this will make you happy.
    High school/college QB and NFL QB are two different positions in two different sports, to be fair. Though it is the reason he has been mentioned. If they do line him up there, expect to see some incredibly unorthodox play-calling throughout (unless they amass a good lead, in which case... pound, pound, pound the ball with the occasional scramble, short slant or screen). My guess, at least.

Yours sincerely,
    Timothy The Bow.

:)

I don't get why people think it would be weird for Edelman to step in as a QB on Sunday. The guy was a QB all through HS and College and knows the Pats system better than anyone else and actually has a decent arm. Fun video to watch.

8 years ago, he wasn't good enough to get invited to the Combine, and went in the 7th round, switching positions to do so. I think it would be a remarkable, probably unprecedented, turnaround to find success (of any kind) at QB in the NFL in those circumstances. I could be wrong but I can't think of any comparable situation in the league (admittedly I have only been watching it seriously for a few years). Just would be cool is all.

8 years ago, he wasn't good enough to get invited to the Combine, and went in the 7th round, switching positions to do so. I think it would be a remarkable, probably unprecedented, turnaround to find success (of any kind) at QB in the NFL in those circumstances. I could be wrong but I can't think of any comparable situation in the league (admittedly I have only been watching it seriously for a few years). Just would be cool is all.

1000's of QBs don't get invited to the combine or Draft doesn't mean they are not legit QBs. That is my point. He may not have been good enough to play QB in the NFL but it doesn't change the fact he was a QB for his teenage and young adult life. Granted it will be a big challenge for him to step him given the level the NFL is but he is a tough little mofo and an athlete and he should be able to do as good as Brissett and do a good enough job.

It will be fantastic to watch don't get me wrong but the way it is being talked about not necessarily here one would think Edelman has no experience at the position at all and that he has just some experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

he is a tough little mofo and an athlete and he should be able to do as good as Brissett and do a good enough job.

That's doing a remarkable disservice to Brissett.

He hasn't played there in 8 years. He probably hasn't practiced there in 8 years. I imagine the Pats system looks a bit different under centre then it does running down the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    That's doing a remarkable disservice to Brissett.

He hasn't played there in 8 years. He probably hasn't practiced there in 8 years. I imagine the Pats system looks a bit different under centre then it does running down the pitch.

How is it a disservice to Brissett? My opinion is that Edelman could do as good as Brissett. Brissett is a rookie still learning the system and Edelman knows the system inside out. My opinion is that Edelman will be able to run a lot more plays due to his knowledge of the system than Brissett would. No disservice at all. We are comparing a rookie still learning the system and a guy who knows it inside out.

How is it a disservice to Brissett? My opinion is that Edelman could do as good as Brissett. Brissett is a rookie still learning the system and Edelman knows the system inside out. My opinion is that Edelman will be able to run a lot more plays due to his knowledge of the system than Brissett would. No disservice at all. We are comparing a rookie still learning the system and a guy who knows it inside out.

We're also comparing a guy who plays QB to a guy who doesn't. Kind of like playing Patrice Evra or Ashley Cole at CF (both played there in youth squads, if I recall) in football. Only to a much greater extent, given the importance and intricacies of the QB position is possibly the most of any position in any team sport in the world.

Patww79 wrote: »

You missed my point. There is no argument against his abilities as a QB from me and whether he could be a starting NFL QB. My point was that people find it weird that he could be playing QB considering that was his trade for 7 years which is half of his football playing career. 3 year starter in HS as a QB and 4 years starter in college. As soon as he became a WR he didn't all of a sudden forget how to play as a QB.

We're also comparing a guy who plays QB to a guy who doesn't. Kind of like playing Patrice Evra or Ashley Cole at CF (both played there in youth squads, if I recall) in football. Only to a much greater extent, given the importance and intricacies of the QB position is possibly the most of any position in any team sport in the world.

Oh for fook sake really? Brissett was limited on what he was allowed do given he was thrown into the firing line with extremely short notice. The playbook clearly had to be adjusted for him which is understandable for a guy who is a rookie. I am not saying Edelman is better than Brissett at all but what I am saying is Edelman knows the Pats playbook inside out and I feel he could put in just as good of service as the rookie did.

Oh for fook sake really? Brissett was limited on what he was allowed do given he was thrown into the firing line with extremely short notice. The playbook clearly had to be adjusted for him which is understandable for a guy who is a rookie. I am not saying Edelman is better than Brissett at all but what I am saying is Edelman knows the Pats playbook inside out and I feel he could put in just as good of service as the rookie did.
    Yes. Really. It would have been similar to playing Evra (were he still at Man Utd) up front ahead of Rashford when Man United had no other strikers last season. Evra also knew how Man Utd's first team played a hell of a lot better by the time he left, than Rashford did when he made his debut.

The adjustments made to the playbook and approach would be a lot further removed from what is seen with Brady/Garoppolo at QB with Edelman there, as opposed to Brissett.

• Advertisement

does not make a difference this game is house money for the pats. They played 3 games without there hall of fame qb and are two games ahead of the division its hilarious being a fan of another afc east team must be heartbreaking

Thinking someone who has likely never once practised at QB in the NFL, hasn't played the position since college 8 years ago and had to change position to WR to be drafted in the 7th round could play just as well as a 3rd round QB who actually is a QB still and practices there is doing a disservice to how well he did all things considered and how hard he obviously worked to get there.

Knowing "the system" does not make up for not actually being the QB ever putting that system into play.

Yes. Really. It would have been similar to playing Evra (were he still at Man Utd) up front ahead of Rashford when Man United had no other strikers last season. Evra also knew how Man Utd's first team played a hell of a lot better by the time he left, than Rashford did when he made his debut.

Soccer comparisons are pointless at best. Two very different situations as much as you want to think they are comparable
    The adjustments made to the playbook and approach would be a lot further removed from what is seen with Brady/Garoppolo at QB with Edelman there, as opposed to Brissett.

No doubt Edelman will be given a list of plays like Brissett was but the pool of plays they can dip into will be larger as he knows the system.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Thinking someone who has likely never once practised at QB in the NFL, hasn't played the position since college 8 years ago and had to change position to WR to be drafted in the 7th round could play just as well as a 3rd round QB who actually is a QB still and practices there is doing a disservice to how well he did all things considered and how hard he obviously worked to get there.

Your opinion and that is fine not going to go back and forward with you over it. If you believe it is a disservice fair enough. I have every respect for the position the game and both players and my opinion stands whether you feel it is a disservice or not.
    Knowing "the system" does not make up for not actually being the QB ever putting that system into play.

Yes it does. 100% yes it does. If the QB doesn't know the system he will be a on very different page than every other player out there. Hence why they scrambled with Brissett to get him ready for the Texans knowing he was still trying to get fully immersed into the system the Pats offense runs. if you truly believe the system plays no part then it would be pointless continue debating this.

Yes it does. 100% yes it does. If the QB doesn't know the system he will be a on very different page than every other player out there. Hence why they scrambled with Brissett to get him ready for the Texans knowing he was still trying to get fully immersed into the system the Pats offense runs. if you truly believe the system plays no part then it would be pointless continue debating this.

Of course I don't think the system plays no part. It's why Bradford sat for the Vikings first game after they payed quite a high price for him.

But I question the value of knowing it from the WR's perspective when it comes to playing QB. It's not like Edelmann has to go through his progressions with lineman rushing him and decide which receiver ends up being thrown to. I'm sure it would help him be better than your average college QB turned 8-year wide receiver stepping into QB in the NFL for the first time ever but I simply can't see him ever comparing to an actual quarterback.

Anyway, I doubt either of us will get the chance to see who is right.

• Advertisement

Soccer comparisons are pointless at best. Two very different situations as much as you want to think they are comparable

No doubt Edelman will be given a list of plays like Brissett was but the pool of plays they can dip into will be larger as he knows the system.

No, they are not pointless no matter how much you wish to go on believing they are. It is playing someone completely out of position, with entirely different responsibilities and roles, because they played there as a teenager.

The pool of plays will not be higher, as he has not played the position in 8 years. And he has not played it in 8 years because as mentioned, he is not good enough at that position to even get a whiff of any team's practice squad. Just like the style of play would be altered more with a fullback up front in a soccer match, than it would be with a youth team striker.

You are completely oversimplifying the matter, is my point. Knowing the playbook as a WR and knowing it as a QB, much less even being near good enough to play QB in the NFL full stop, are entirely different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I see Greg Hardy was arrested for cocaine possession. I loved his excuse that someone placed it in his wallet without him knowing.

I see Greg Hardy was arrested for cocaine possession. I loved his excuse that someone placed it in his wallet without him knowing.
    He thought it was his girlfriend's blackeye liner.

You are completely oversimplifying the matter, is my point. Knowing the playbook as a WR and knowing it as a QB, much less even being near good enough to play QB in the NFL full stop, are entirely different things.

Any good WR will know the offensive playbook inside out. Any good offensive player will know the playbook inside out. Why? It is important to know all aspects of the play. You will get guys who wont bother and only learn their specific routes.

Ask any coach in HS or College and they will tell you the best guys know the playbook inside out and it is no different in the NFL.

Let me ask you though seen as you know a lot about offensive playbooks what in the playbook will a QB have to know that a WR wont? Geniune question.

As for the soccer reference again irrelevant. We will have to agree to disagree on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Texans to Put Watt on IR, means he will be eligible to return after 6 weeks. Impossible to state with certainty, but perhaps rushed returning to action a bit too soon? He didn't look the same player for the first 3 weeks of the season. Pity as he's reason alone to watch the Texans any week. Hopefully they'll not have him try to come back early from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

poldebruin wrote: »
    Texans to Put Watt on IR, means he will be eligible to return after 6 weeks. Impossible to state with certainty, but perhaps rushed returning to action a bit too soon? He didn't look the same player for the first 3 weeks of the season. Pity as he's reason alone to watch the Texans any week. Hopefully they'll not have him try to come back early from this.

If the season goes downhill from here I assume they would rest him for the year?

I actually found this funny but it will be interesting to see how the NFL handled it as Rex Ryan definitely broke a rule here.

https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/781165149105352704
    OSTON (CBS) — Bills head coach Rex Ryan is busy preparing his team to travel to New England on Sunday to take on the Patriots. But he had a free moment Wednesday, which he put to use by going straight to the source of one potential game-plan mystery.

Ryan stopped by the media room at the Bills facility on Wednesday while Patriots receiver Julian Edelman was talking with Buffalo reporters via conference call. Considering the not-quite-100-percent status of both Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett, Ryan wanted to know if Edelman would be reviving his college quarterback days on Sunday.

“Julian, this is, uhh, Walt Patulski from The Buffalo News,” Ryan started. “Uhh, are you playing quarterback this week?”
    Edelman answered succinctly: “Huh?”

Ryan reiterated his question, and Edelman responded as all Patriots do.
    “Well, I’m going to do whatever the coaches ask me to do,” he said. “So if they ask me to go out and give a glass of water to someone on the sideline, I’m going to do that with a smile on my face if it helps our team win. So you can ask Coach [Bill Belichick] that one.”

“All right, Julian,” Ryan replied. “I will, buddy.”
    Ryan then let out a hearty chuckle and left the room.

Media chuckles, they were aplenty.

In the perspective of real life, it was a harmless, light-hearted moment. Nobody was injured. No secrets were revealed.

Yet in the strange, strange world that is the NFL, Ryan might have run afoul of some rules. Typically, opposing head coaches aren’t allowed to directly contact players on other teams, especially relating to strategy for a game that’s just four days away. And doing so while impersonating a reporter — albeit in a joking fashion — might get Ryan into some trouble of some sort with the league.

A legitimate reporter could have just as easily been the person asking that same exact question. At the same time, a reporter did not. The opposing head coach asked the question. Whether there’s punishment of any sort will now come down to the not-exactly-consistent NFL office in New York.
    It’s not really tampering, per se, but it certainly seems a bit outside of the norm for a head coach’s behavior. But then again, isn’t that exactly why teams hire Rex in the first place?

Big Rex <--> Big Sam trade in the works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Saw the video. If Rex gets in trouble for that then the league has lost all touch with reality.

• Advertisement

Saw the video. If Rex gets in trouble for that then the league has lost all touch with reality.

He's doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think that happened a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,966 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think the team will lose a 1st and 4th round draft pick and Rex will be suspended for four games minimum. This isn't as bad as stickum in my book but the penalty has to be much worse!!!

I agree it was all a but of fun but this is the NFL and the rules clearly state you can't talk to other teams players about gameplans and the unfortunate thing for Ryan is the No Fun League will most likely stick to the rule.

I do think though if the shoe was on the other foot and that was BB doing it people would be calling for his head etc etc. The NFL probably would have come down with some nonsense already.

The day the NFL become consistent with rules and common sense is the day Goodell is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

It's great to see the Around the NFL podcast finally get the high octane sponsorship deal that they deserve!

And still beholden to no one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

That was one of the funniest episodes. That professor is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Always thought of him as the Emporer, with the hoodie and all...

I did a quick Google search and it looks like you're right.....

image_5_300x300.jpg

Sorry but this deserves an audience outside of the NCAA thread. Jordan Lewis of Michigan just pulled off the best interception I've ever seen :eek:

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/782353788816527360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Sorry but this deserves an audience outside of the NCAA thread. Jordan Lewis of Michigan just pulled off the best interception I've ever seen :eek:

That's the kind of interception that has me yelling at the TV when it happens against me in Madden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Ridiculously athletic pick. Wouldn't it have been better to just bat it down though, seeing as it was 4th down?

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Ridiculously athletic pick. Wouldn't it have been better to just bat it down though, seeing as it was 4th down?

Technically it would, but Michigan were ahead and Wisconsin were out of time outs, so either scenario would result in a Michigan win. I'm glad he didn't deny us that play :)

It's been a crazy night in college football :eek:

https://twitter.com/OddsShark/status/782359224995213312

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Are the late games free to air on Channel 4 or BBC or elsewhere this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Adam Schefter reporting that Dez Bryant has missed "at least 20 and as many as 40" team meetings during his time at Dallas.

Bryant refutes the allegation, stating that he missed one which he has owned up to and that if you ask any of his team mates that would tell you the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bowman out for the season for the 49ers and they’ll likely be missing Buckner for an extended period on a defense that is already leaking a lot of points.

From a promising start in week 1 the 49ers look like they’re headed towards a very early pick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone read the MMQB?

This is from Steve Young's forthcoming autobiography!
    Even on the field, I can’t escape the craziness. We play the Colts at home. Partway through the second quarter I’m in the huddle when the head referee taps me on the shoulder. ‘Can I talk to you for a second?’ he says. I step away from the huddle. ‘Hey, listen, my daughter’s going to BYU,’ he whispers. Next thing I know he starts trying to convince me that I should meet his daughter. ‘I'd like you to take her out,’ he says.

“I cannot believe this. We’re in the middle of a game! ‘Oh, okay,’ I said. ‘What's her name?’’ He tells me and I return to the huddle ... Late in the game we’re down 31-23 and I'm trying to mount a comeback. I scramble out of the pocket and take a brutal hit. It causes me to fumble just before the whistle blows to stop the play. I am lying on the ground when the defense recovers the loose ball, all but sealing our defeat. Suddenly out of nowhere a yellow flag lands next to me. The referee whose daughter is headed to BYU calls a personal foul on the defense. First down, Tampa Bay. I get up and brush myself off. Then the ref walks past me and whispers she likes Italian food.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Anyone read the MMQB?

This is from Steve Young's forthcoming autobiography!

This was not the ref in the Carolina/Denver season operner then.

Good article on 538 today about the Panthers and Cardinals' struggles early this season, and what the outlook is for former Championship game participants when they start 1-3 the following year.

An interesting symetry is pointed out in how their years have gone since the season started.
    Week 1: Each play their counterpart from the AFC Championship Game - each losing when they miss a FG as time expires wide left.
    Week 2: Blowout wins, each scoring over 40.
    Week 3: Both lose by double digits despite being favourites in the game
    Week 4: Both teams go into divisional games against two surprising teams (Falcons and Rams - both 2-1) as favouties, both lose, and both starting QBs end up in the concussion protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

#feedthecrow

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement