Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hope your scan went well last week teggers. Had a check up yesterday, Dr said no more ultrasounds apparently? checked the heartbeat with the doppler thingy. Although she had to chase baby around for a few minutes to hear the heart beat properly.

Baby is moving loads now. I seem to have no room in my stomach for the last few days, no matter how little I eat I feel full and get indigestion. Back to popping tonnes of rennie! Stitch all down my right side today, guess they are making more room for themselves now!

Looking at ante natal classes and a hospital tour in the next few weeks. considering a water birth if possible. Although there is only one birthing pool and its first come first served so will see. A friend of mine has done it and found it really good. Hoping to go as natural possible but will go with the flow not against drugs if required!

A friend of mine has recommend the tula baby carrier, think its quiet like the ergo ones, found a baby wearing group but they only meet during the week in the mornings.

Hope your feeling better soon Kathy.
    Lucuma, can you use artifical tears to help with your dry eyes? Think its just like a saline solution, OH got laser done a few years ago, and still gets dry eyes occasionally from too much screen time, finds them really good.

Sounds very close when ye are talking about Mat leave in 10-14 weeks. Mine will be more like 16, going to work as close as I am able to the due date, even if I make it for the first day of the week i'm due it gives me a few extra days.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

wuffly wrote:
    A friend of mine has recommend the tula baby carrier, think its quiet like the ergo ones, found a baby wearing group but they only meet during the week in the mornings.

Heya,

Just be aware that the Tula isn't really suitable for newborns. If you're looking at carriers and can't make a sling meet then you can get a consultant out to your house. We did it when #1 was born and is well worth it. The lady gave us a carrier free of charge for two weeks as part of the consult.

(Also found it handy to wait until baby was born before buying. The carrier that I wanted just didn't suit him because he had a long back...)

Has anyone any tips for itchy belly?? no pain from stretching but LOTS of itchiness that bio-oil just isn't enough for....

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

It went great, thanks wuffly. We're having a baby boy! :)
    I will be having another scan around 34 weeks to check where the placenta is as it's quite close to my cervix again. Placenta previa caused my first son to be born at 28 weeks so fingers crossed history won't be repeated!

otwb1 wrote: »
    Heya,

Just be aware that the Tula isn't really suitable for newborns. If you're looking at carriers and can't make a sling meet then you can get a consultant out to your house. We did it when #1 was born and is well worth it. The lady gave us a carrier free of charge for two weeks as part of the consult.

(Also found it handy to wait until baby was born before buying. The carrier that I wanted just didn't suit him because he had a long back...)

Even with the new born insert?

Maybe I'll wait until I get home, the group here are mums that do baby wearing no consultants. They just get together and share info tips etc... And let people try out the carriers and slings they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

teggers5 wrote: »
    It went great, thanks wuffly. We're having a baby boy! :)
    I will be having another scan around 34 weeks to check where the placenta is as it's quite close to my cervix again. Placenta previa caused my first son to be born at 28 weeks so fingers crossed history won't be repeated!

Oh Teggers a little boy, that's super. Fingers crossed you don't have to go through the same thing again. Do you not get a scan at 28 weeks as well?

@ otwb1 I haven't had an itchy belly but man I could have ripped my boobs off they were so itchy, they got MASSIVE in my first trimester which is usually what causes the itch. I found I could only wear cotton against the skin as other materials annoyed it, try not to overheat as heat aggravated the skin. Products I have found and like and literally lather over my belly at the moment is the burts bees mama bees stuff. My friend recommended them to me. I use the nourishing oil and belly butter. I haven't had much itching and its likely I would as I have had major dry skin and small patches of eczema flare up since pregnancy.

@Lucuma you could try Artelac eye drops. I have an eye condition and am prone to dry eye especially with my contacts and use this. Doc has confirmed it is safe in pregnancy. I think you can get it over the counter.

Went to the doc and got an antibiotic for a chest infection. On it a few days now and feel a million times better. Am not huffing and puffing when I run up the stairs. Wish I had gone a few weeks ago.

@wuffly I think I am 2 weeks behind you but boy do I feel really full after a meal. Little and often is the only way to cope. I ate a (too big) bowl of museli this morning and an apple and was stuffed till after 2pm. We went to the cinema last night and I got pick and mix (so bold) and I felt so ill after. Way too much sugar which I felt very guilty about for the poor baby so won't be doing that again. It kept kicking around during the movie.

@wuffly. The insert is quite thick. I had tried it and the Ergo and I ended up with a MySol maitai for the early days. ( It's ultra adjustable and no need to fiddle with inserts).

The other half uses a Tula (from about 6 months). I use the tula for sort trips when out and about at the shops etc and have a wrap for about the house/longer walks.

@Kathy...thanks!! off to find burts bees tomorrow :-)

Thanks for the info otwb1, good to know. There are so many of everything! Depending on passport I'll be back in ireland 4-6weeks after baby arrives so can check it all out at home and meet a consultant or pester my friends with kids:D

Teggers, delighted to hear the scan went well, a little boy so exciting!! Hopefully things go much better for you this time. 28 weeks, it must have been so scary, can't imagine seeing this little one in 3 weeks!

Kathy agree def back to kiddy size portions! I was going a bit mad with my appetite back, well back in my box now lol! Glad you're on the mend. I think there is def something about being preggers that makes you feel like a hypochondriac, I left everything go on too long thinking I was over reacting.

Kathy22 wrote: »
    Oh Teggers a little boy, that's super. Fingers crossed you don't have to go through the same thing again. Do you not get a scan at 28 weeks as well?

Well I have a hospital appointment at 28 weeks with the consultant so hopefully he will do a scan that day too. The midwife said I probably won't have another one til 34 weeks though.

• Advertisement

wuffly wrote: »

Teggers, delighted to hear the scan went well, a little boy so exciting!! Hopefully things go much better for you this time. 28 weeks, it must have been so scary, can't imagine seeing this little one in 3 weeks!

It was a horrible scary time wuffly. I definitely don't want to see this babs for at least another 16 weeks! :)

Hope all you ladies are keeping well?

A cousin of mine gave us lots of baby clothes as she has a 4 month old little boy.
    Just wondering about sizes for hospital bag. (Planning in advance, lol)
    I've noticed some newborn sizes are up to 7lb5ozs and others are up to 10lb..
    Would an average newborn be lost in the bigger of those two sizes?
    Or should I bring both to the hospital?
    Little to be worrying about I know but I'm just interested to hear what others think :)

Teggers, Going by my own birth weight and my OH's and the average of most of my friends I'm thinking baby will be 7lbs plus, so that's the size I've bought so far. All going well I think the Dr usually has a rough idea of the weight nearer to the birth? if you have both sizes though no harm in bringing them to the hospital.

My friend that is due 2 weeks after me keeps mentioning names when we are out together and has already dropped our favourite girl name twice, so starting to think that is off the table...gutted as I've loved it for ages:( After the first time I was planning to talk to her about it, but didn't get a chance to see her on her own. Now she has mentioned it to so many people I feel like I'm stealing it. Really need to tell her to stop mentioning names in front of me!

Baby is moving around like mad these days!

Yeah kinda thinking along those lines too. Neither me nor my husband were big babies ourselves so I'd be surprised if this little one will be bigger than 7 & half pounds. Think I'll pack the smaller size and just have some of the bigger ones in the car just in case.

Ohh Wuffly, poor you! :(
    Are either of you planning on finding out baby's gender? Wouldn't it be ideal if you both having one of each! I think the best thing to do is try talk to her on her own.

Good plan, they won't take up too much room anyway!

No both of us are on for a surprise, she found out for her first which was a boy but not this time. Initially she was convinced it was a boy again so I didn't think too much of it but now she is dead set its a girl! Some flaming chinese prediction chart!:mad: Will see if i can bring it up, she's one of my oldest friends and I feel really weird bringing it up. The first time she said it was at Christmas and I piped up straight away to say we had it on our list from the start and we loved it, but not sure she took it on-board as there was a big group. besides which its not like I own it, just wish I didn't know she was thinking of it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Career Aspirant

Hi

I am 24.3 weeks today and live in Athlone. I visit Balinasloe for Maternity care and all the scans. I will be moving to cork in my 30th week, So need a new GP and maternity hospital.

My GP suggested "Cork University Maternity Hospital / University College Cork" for maternity care, but I am also looking for GP near Wilton , Cork.

Do you Guys have any suggestion ? I am new to cork so any info might help

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

There's only 1 maternity hospital in Cork so no need to make a choice there! Sorry can't help on the GP as I don't live in that area.

Teggers regarding clothing size I assume they can give you a rough estimate of what size the baby will be before you go to the hospital, I actually hadn't even thought about that. I hope my baby is not a similar size to me at birth. I was a huge baby close to 10 lbs which is funny because I am quite petite now. I bought a few pairs of maternity jeans in H&M last weekend and when in there ended up picking up a few of their baby hats, mittens and socks. They have such cute stuff. I wanted to buy everything but held off as I need to take stock and see what I need to buy as I feel I am picking up random things with no plan of action behind it. I have gotten rather big in the the last 2 weeks and a few people have commented on it, definitely feeling a bit more movement these days, my husband is still holding out for the first feeling.

I am fully over my chest infection and feeling so much better. let's hope I can have a clean bill of health for a bit. Joined pregnancy yoga which I am enjoying. Really want to get into doing more of it at home as well and get better at practicing my breathing. Someone mentioned I should be doing pelvic floor exercises? Need to look into these!

Hope everyone is well. I am finding it hard to check in here these days as my work is hectic and stressful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

im pregnant due in May 2016.lookibg for some advice im really scared as I feel me an my boyfriend aren't ready for a child I don't think our relationship will last but I didnt have the heart to have an abortion at the time and now I'm regretting it.i feel like my life is over.if there is anyone on here who is a single mother could you give me some advice please im going out of my mind

Haven't been able to login all week, not sure what's going on with the site?

Glad to hear you're over the chest infection Kathy, hope it stays gone.
    Hope work is ok, is it just a stressful time of year? hope it passes soon. Loving the prenatal yoga, so nice and relaxing! I've heard of pelvic floor exercises not really sure that I'm supposed to do though! Might ask at yoga.
    I'm the same with buying stuff, i was all practical and planned and now i've gone slightly off the rails a bit with cute things! Bought a very cute mobile for the cot, have favourited so much cute stuff on etsy, i need to lose my password!

my friend that's due her 2nd sent me this http://serendipityandspice.com/nipple-survival-guide-breastfeeding-moms/
    she said she wasn't really prepared for number one! Might be handy for anyone planned to BF

Definitely feeling the tiredness creeping back again, I'm in bed 8 most nights and still wrecked in the morning.

Hope everyone is keeping well x

• Advertisement

@annon, sorry to hear you are feeling so down, do have any family support or can your talk to your GP? Does your partner know how you feel?

Thanks Wuffly. BTW the site went down last week due to a DDOS attack and people were experiencing logging in issues. Think it’s been resolved now.
    Ah work is fine, just a lot of changes happening and a really big project coming towards the end. Agree I love the yoga, really helps me relax. I just started after Christmas and look forward to it each week. I love hearing how other people are doing as well. A girl in my class last week was telling us how she caught Listeria on her last pregnancy, apparently very rare and hospital had hospital were shocked to see it. First person I’ve met that had it before. A friend on her third baby told me to do the pelvic floor exercises if I do anything at all so I need to get cracking, I have tried but not sure I am doing them right. I’m going to ask my consultant on my next visit. This time I am creating a list as the last time I came out and had forgotten everything I wanted to ask.

We went to the Aldi baby event and picked up a few small bits, large box of wipes, nappy bags, cellular blankets etc. We were in town at the weekend and I went to the big H&M by Stephens green and bought some more bits for the baby. God their stuff is so cute. I have a fairly quiet weekend coming up so am going to start washing some of the stuff I bought, clearing out the front room and taking stock of what I have bought so far rather than buying blindly and being swayed by cuteness.

My husband got to feel the baby move for the first time last night. I was a tad worried as hadn’t felt them much at all yesterday so lay down for an hour and they responded to my poking. Kept kicking back in the same spot. My husband could see the little ripples and felt one or two movements. Magical moment. Makes every tired ache and pain worthwhile. I have been absolutely fine till now but I have to say after 2 busy days walking around on my feet I was exhausted last night. 3 weeks till our next scan, can’t wait to get in and see how they are doing in there: D

Quick questions, they had the nappy bins in Aldi, one friend said to get one others just said use nappy bags and throw them in the outdoor wheelie bin. Are they worth it? The bin refills seem rather expensive.

Ah ok, it kept telling me i had too many login attempts, the site still isn't working properly almost everything is coming up as a broken image. Maybe its just my location.

Delighted your hubby got to feel the baby moving Kathy, very special! When ours gets going now, you can see it! OH makes a list for us when we go to the Dr as she is really relaxed so I get all 'yeah everything is grand'!

I will probably get a nappy bin, but that's mostly because of the heat here, we only have a small waste bin in the kitchen that goes out everyday, often in the summer it can be smelly by mid day, don't fancy that with nappies! Although I'm considering cloth nappies after the first few weeks.

wuffly wrote: »
    Ah ok, it kept telling me i had too many login attempts, the site still isn't working properly almost everything is coming up as a broken image. Maybe its just my location.

Delighted your hubby got to feel the baby moving Kathy, very special! When ours gets going now, you can see it! OH makes a list for us when we go to the Dr as she is really relaxed so I get all 'yeah everything is grand'!

I will probably get a nappy bin, but that's mostly because of the heat here, we only have a small waste bin in the kitchen that goes out everyday, often in the summer it can be smelly by mid day, don't fancy that with nappies! Although I'm considering cloth nappies after the first few weeks.

Yeah my doctor focuses on the fact that I am normal and everything is fine but for me this is so new and I am freaking out but end up not asking anything for fear of sounding stupid. On my next visit I am going in with the attitude that I am paying for his services and or private care and therefore I will ask my questions. I feel rather clueless about when to do antenatal classes, what should I do to prepare for breastfeeding, what should I be doing to prepare for the birth, what do I need to consider etc. etc. I find the lack of information really annoying and wish there was more hand on advice rather than my googling and finding out on forums. You can ring the midwife but honestly an hour meeting with one every few months would probably help. Eeeek rant over :D

How far along are you now Wuffly? Think you are a few weeks ahead of me. I'm 25 weeks so eager to know when movement becomes stronger and more prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Kathy join Extended Breastfeeding in Ireland on fb, go to Health Centre and/or Cuidiu meetups near you and you'll get lots of great breastfeeding advice, and ask as many questions as you want. Do your hospital not provide antenatal and bf classes and tell you when to attend? Kellymom is a very informative site too, worth a look.

Hi Annon24,

Am not a single mum, but on my last baby I met a girl through play groups who had broken up with the baby's dad during her pregnancy. Baby was beautiful and mum was doing a fantastic job.

I think we're all panicking at this stage because things are getting a bit real now! Babies are kicking, and everyone is starting to figure out what to start getting ready.

if you can't talk to a friend/family member/gp about how you are feeling then you could try an organisation like positiveoptions for advice/support. if they can't help then they may know where you can get support.

Kathy join Extended Breastfeeding in Ireland on fb, go to Health Centre and/or Cuidiu meetups near you and you'll get lots of great breastfeeding advice, and ask as many questions as you want. Do your hospital not provide antenatal and bf classes and tell you when to attend? Kellymom is a very informative site too, worth a look.

Thanks Spottybanana, yes they have antenatal classes which is in an information pack I got. Should I do them 3 months before or closer to the time I suppose is what I am unsure of. We have been so hectic at the moment so hopefully this weekend I can grab some time to sit down and plan things. I got a leaflet about breastfeeding and that was about it. My consultant is more focused on the baby side of things so I kind of wish I had access to a midwife at the visit as well. i have my 28 week scan in 3 weeks so will try to be more prepared for that visit with my questions. I'm very eager to breastfeed, so want to be as prepared as possible. Can you tell I am starting to freak out a little ;)

Annon24 wrote: »
    im pregnant due in May 2016.lookibg for some advice im really scared as I feel me an my boyfriend aren't ready for a child I don't think our relationship will last but I didnt have the heart to have an abortion at the time and now I'm regretting it.i feel like my life is over.if there is anyone on here who is a single mother could you give me some advice please im going out of my mind

Annon24 don't regret your decision, it obviously made sense for you to do it at the time and it will work out in the end. I am not a single mother but I would recommend talking to a friend or family member as it is not good for you or the baby to be worried sick. Do you have other support from your family? Maybe if you don't feel comfortable talking to you family you could try positive options and at least have someone to discuss things with? Sorry I cannot be more help but wishing you all the best.

Kathy I'm 27 weeks now, and the movement has really moved up a notch for me in the last week, woken me up few times! A friend said her placenta is in front of the baby so she isn't feeling as much, everything is fine, its just kind of in the way to feel much on the outside. I haven't booked antenatal classes yet my dr only mentioned them at the last appointment. Although one place I spoke to said i'd left it quiet late! Not too worried though, will get it booked this week. A few people have suggested hynobirthing but at about 600e for a course I don't think I'll be doing it. Have lots of info and practice mediation anyway so hoping that will help. As far as I know its very pro BF here and i've heard great reviews for one of the midwives in the hospital I'll be going to. Can you get an apt with a midwife, might be worth asking your consultant? A good chat might put your mind at ease a bit.
    A few people have mentioned the groups that spottybananas recommended and La Leche League is supposed to quiet good as well. Might be worth joining them on FB and see what they are like. Even just to know what kind of issues other people have etc..
    I thought there would be support from the district nurses at home once you get home with baby? Guess that can depend on the nurse or your area? Do you have any friends that have breastfed that you'd be comfortable talking to/asking? Some people are lovely but can be a bit preachy which is off putting.

Hope work calms down and your next apt goes well.

• Advertisement

Annon, how are you doing? Have you been able to chat to anyone? Are there any bumps and babies groups in your area? Might be a good way to meet other mums and there might be some single mums that can give you some advice. I know you have a lot going on, but your hormones are probably running riot as well which probably isn't helping. (I cried in shop yesterday for no reason) Please mind yourself x

Advertisement