Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

May 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Wuffly, I'm finishing in work next Thursday and it cannot come soon enough. How long more have you?
    Apart from the expected tiredness I'm doing great. I'll have a week off before scheduled section so looking forward to resting. Just hoping the nesting instinct doesn't kick in again!
    Lucuma, when is your wedding anniversary?
    We'll be a year married June 19th.. we started trying a week after wedding and like you we weren't expecting it to happen so quickly! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

teggers5 wrote: »
    Wuffly, I'm finishing in work next Thursday and it cannot come soon enough. How long more have you?
    Apart from the expected tiredness I'm doing great. I'll have a week off before scheduled section so looking forward to resting. Just hoping the nesting instinct doesn't kick in again!
    Lucuma, when is your wedding anniversary?
    We'll be a year married June 19th.. we started trying a week after wedding and like you we weren't expecting it to happen so quickly! :O

We were the first week in June so snap! We started trying straight away as well and it took 3 months. Last time took 12 months so was pleasantly surprised!

Looks like my mucous plug is starting to come away.....hmm the sweep on Wednesday must have got things stirring!
    Last time I went into labour 2 or 3 days after it came away. It hasn't come away fully this time though.....I'll be watching out for more signs!

Oh great news Lucuma.. things are starting to move!
    Looks like we'll both have lovely presents in time for our first anniversaries! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ Ours will be 4 weeks on Monday, wedding was just before yours Lucuma (May 23rd)! :)

Quite low key here - I've never understood the desire to turn kids events into boozy affairs so I picked 11am "afternoon tea" party :D going to make a cake, bought a gorgeous topper on etsy so I don't have to decorate it, scones and mini sandwiches and cocktail sausages and that's it! Only grandparents and her aunt and uncle coming so it'll be grand. My dad minds her the two days I'm in work and my mam sees her most days whereas hubby's family don't make an effort at all so thinking they might feel a bit awkward when she doesn't want anything to do with them at the party but their loss!

Hope the little bit of heat isn't starting to bother anyone - not long to go!

The little bit of heat is grand.....I actually do think this is the perfect time of year to give birth. Not too hot, not too cold. Last time my baby was born at the start of September so I was off for all of August and I literally spent most of it sitting in front of a fan, it was awful! Whereas this bit of 'heat' isn't even heat really it's just fine weather. And by time babies arrive we'll have the whole summer for going for walks! :)

It's mad though the difference of a few months renders alot of my stuff from last time unusable. Last time all my maternity clothes were summer clothes, they were no good to me this time around had to buy all new stuff. And the newborn stuff was winter-ish, and my post natal (i.e. fat) clothes were winter clothes whereas this time I'll need summer post natal clothes!

I love the sound of the 1st birthday party by the way, sounds perfect. Well at least OH's family are making the effort to come to the party I suppose, would you like if they saw her more often?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Hi iv been following ye all like the pro stalker I am. I'm due May 19th but getting a bit anxious now that the baby will come early. Have any of ye felt like a tearing pain in yer stomachs? The only thing I can think it is ,is maybe stretch marks forming .Does that sound right? Thanks for all the hints and tips so far. Iv stocked my hospital bag from info on this thread! Good luck to everyone ,not long left at all xxx

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hi iv been following ye all like the pro stalker I am. I'm due May 19th but getting a bit anxious now that the baby will come early. Have any of ye felt like a tearing pain in yer stomachs? The only thing I can think it is ,is maybe stretch marks forming .Does that sound right? Thanks for all the hints and tips so far. Iv stocked my hospital bag from info on this thread! Good luck to everyone ,not long left at all xxx

I have been getting Braxton hicks on this pregnancy - feels like a muscle cramp spasm pain. Like a stitch feels normally. It can go on for a while though. It gets better if I change position like if I'm standing up and I lie down it gets better or vice versa. Does that ring a bell? Otherwise I don't know ....

Contractions are distinct (although on no.1 I was getting them an hour before I realised they weren't food poisoning ha!) they come and go at regular intervals, you can time them.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Lucuma, how are you doing? Hope all's going well!
    Congrats on all the wedding anniversaries!

Teggers and Kathy, hope ye're last week goes well and quickly. Hope ye get some rest before the little ones arrive. I'm in until next weds, they announced a public holiday for the the thurdays so if i make to weds, its a few extra days mat leave, every little helps as they say. I'm really starting to feel the tiredness now though.

Found out yesterday my Dr will be away from the 5th-15th... so after all my efforts to have her unless I go early or well over I'll have someone else anyway! :'( Between work, insurance and Dr's I am so ready to have this little one and get on a plane home!
    Lucuma fair play to you and your OH being self employed. OH is starting his own business at the moment, its slow but getting there. The uncertainty can be hard going, really glad he has been able to do it though, not something we could have managed at home. Hopefully you'll get something that suits when you start looking. I'm not so great at change, it wouldn't do me any harm to try something different. Might be the kick I need :)

Ja, hope its going well for you, had that type of pain too, think it was braxton hicks, and i think I had some scar tissue pulling from lapro surgery a few years ago. its gone again now, had it a week or two ago. Its fairly uncomfortable hope it passes quickly for you. Moving around helped a little but it was hard to sleep for a few nights.

Baby is head down but not engaged, heart beat and bump size all good. So much strong movement now, although thankfully still sleeping through the night, my physio says that it will leave me totally unprepared for the nights ahead, Will worry about them when they come around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Hey all and happy Sunday and also happy last week to those of us still in work. It is starting to get real.

Think I have started to get Braxton Hicks. I thought it was baby bunching up into an awkward ball in my stomach causing pressure but I'm pretty sure it was not the baby this time. Woke up at 6am this morning and had a weird contortion in my stomach and bad pain. Got up and went down to lie on the couch and it subsided. It did last more than 15-30 seconds which is what I read Braxton Hicks can last for. Was at a wedding yesterday and on the drive home last night I got 2 instances of the same pain. Ja does that sound similar to what you have been experiencing?

Phew glad the weddings are over, desperately tried avoiding photos yesterday as I am feeling massive. I had to wear flats as not a single pair of heels fit me. I am so swollen. Did a few family photos and my Dad commented he would hardly recognize me....cheers Dad!!! I feel very deflated after feeling like poop for the whole wedding.

Wuffly sorry to hear about your doctor, seems like more bad news after another for you lately. Try to go with the flow and trust she will entrust someone good with your care if she is not here.

Lucuma that is exciting for you. Look forward to some updates over the coming week or so. Hard to believe the little ones will be arriving so soon. I am honestly ready to get them here and have my body back, not really enjoying the last few weeks.

Going to bring my parents dog out for a walk really need to keep active!

Hi girls,the pain is gone now the only way I could describe it would be like someone giving you a Chinese burn on the wrist,but on the higher middle part of my belly. Very bizarre! I'm suffering loads with my hips recently when waking up ,they are completely dead. I have a sleep pillow which isn't great so iv just started using a normal pillow between the legs. Iv been told ages ago I have SPD, but I honestly feel it's just the extra weight of Me on one side sleeping at night. Can't wait to sleep on my belly again!

So just picked up the Moses basket. Don't know the sex of the baby yet so all I have is hospital clothes and will send the other half out for clothes when we find out. I'm so ready for the Labour and hospital part to be over and to be home already!

Have any of ye toddlers running around? My little girl is very attached to my bump and hugs the baby and talks to it,it's so very cute. Hope she's prepared for the change.
    Also,iv picked up a travel system this time around and wanted to get a buggy board for her as she's good with walking I didn't think I'd need the double. Any one else doing the buggy board thing ?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d5/59/92/d55992423eb26e730bd266b51d636384.jpg

Hope that link works. You can see there ja that your stomach sits on top of the bump. Then your intestines are squished in behind the bump. Depending on where you feel the pain you should be able to tell from this diagram is it high up enough to be your stomach? If not then it must be the baby bump that's hurting?

If it's your stomach could it be heart burn?

It's very hard to get comfy now alright when sleeping. Could you put another pillow under the bump? Would that help? My physio recommended it to me but I personally don't find it necessary. Putting the Argos long rectangular pillow (like a bolster) all the way down between my legs from my hips to my toes relieves hip and other pain for me but you have to find what works for you. If you have SPD keep your legs together (not rigidly) when turning in bed and keep them together when getting in and out of bed, in and out of the car and up and down from sitting to standing.

Hopefully your SPD will disappear with labour as mine did last time. I have a toddler but she's still at the buggy stage so I'll be using the double buggy.

Lucuma wrote: »
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d5/59/92/d55992423eb26e730bd266b51d636384.jpg

Hope that link works. You can see there ja that your stomach sits on top of the bump. Then your intestines are squished in behind the bump. Depending on where you feel the pain you should be able to tell from this diagram is it high up enough to be your stomach? If not then it must be the baby bump that's hurting?

If it's your stomach could it be heart burn?

It's very hard to get comfy now alright when sleeping. Could you put another pillow under the bump? Would that help? My physio recommended it to me but I personally don't find it necessary. Putting the Argos long rectangular pillow (like a bolster) all the way down between my legs from my hips to my toes relieves hip and other pain for me but you have to find what works for you. If you have SPD keep your legs together (not rigidly) when turning in bed and keep them together when getting in and out of bed, in and out of the car and up and down from sitting to standing.

Hopefully your SPD will disappear with labour as mine did last time. I have a toddler but she's still at the buggy stage so I'll be using the double buggy.

Thanks for the link very interesting. Looking at it ,it looks like the stomach part. That pain is actually gone now but last night and today I am getting pressure down below and darts. I'm thinking its Braxton hicks.

Mam called to me earlier and I was washing my kitchen walls with a sponge I was up on one of the kitchen chairs. She said I heard about people climbing the walls before Labour,but to literally see it! She thinks its the nesting faze!

I didn't really think about spd afterwards,was hoping it was a pregnancy thing. Please God it is,would be no joke having a nb and toddler and no feeling in my hips.

Lucuma,how are you getting on since the show you had? Any update/movements?

Yes little lady landed with a splash 2 days early. I had been getting braxton hicks all day which changed into contractions in the evening. My 1st labour was so long & took 24 hours to get to 10cm so almost left it too late on this one, expecting something similar maybe a few hours shorter. ...it was way shorter! Regular contractions started at 11pm-12am & she was born at 2:34am!!! I was admitted to labour ward at 2am with the Tens machine on. I was getting serious contractions by that stage, I hit the gas & air, felt the urge to bear down, 3 pushes & she was out! Waters broke just before she came & I gave birth standing up leaning on the bed (they put bed @its highest settin) doc caught her from between my legs. The room looked like an abattoir afterwards :-o but all ok.....delivery of placenta was ouch ouch ouch but got there. 1 stitch (compared to episiotomy + 4 stitches on no.1) so am in a lot less pain than last time.
    Baby is a bit weird ...she doesn't cry?! Even after she was born or even when she's hungry, she just rustles around the crib thingy. Very strange. She has a lot of mucous because of spending feck all time in the birth canal (the passage down the birth canal squeezes the mucous out of them) so she needs to vomit that up bit by bit over the next day or so before she'll have it all out of her system. Feeding going ok. She's 24 hrs old now & has had 2 wet & 2 dirty nappies so they seem happy with that.
    Re the labour bag I didn't have time to use much.....compared to last time when I was in there for hours & used nearly everything I brought! Re hospital bag the 1 thing I didn't bring was baby mittens as didn't use em last time but this baby has her face all scratched so d nurses told me to put something on her hands. I used baby socks they are working well! Defo glad I brought the disposable undies & a packet of the big green maternity pads you really do need them for the 1st 24 hours!
    Oh and a box of Nature Valley cereal bars if you're bf'ing. They have oats in them which are good for supply & you need something as a middle of the night snack while feeding. ...big gap between dinner & brekkie. I'm insatiabaly hungry since giving birth! And craving cups of tea! Luckily the food is good here.
    How's the last week at work going for everyone?

Congrats lucuma! Sounds super fast! Hope she and you are doing well! Did your hubby or doula make it to the birth?
    Sounds like the labour went well for you, only one stitch, i'm sure that will help not being as sore as last time when you have a toddler to manage as well. Will your hubby be able to take much time off?
    Hope the feeding is going well. I'm sure she'll find her voice in no time. :) Has she met her big sister yet? Have you decided on a name?

Thought I was going to have an early arrival on Sunday, had a tiny bit of spotting and crazy movements from the baby all day, I swear it felt like baby was packing up and getting out! All calmed down that night and nothing since (back to regular movements). I guess it could be anytime now. On the eating thing, only noticed yesterday but I am eating like a total heifer the last week, haven't been hungry in months and now I want to eat everything!! :woot:

How is everyone else doing?

• Advertisement

Lucuma huge congrats, I was wondering if we were going to get an update from you shortly. Delighted it went well, cannot believe how fast it went for you! Well done. Did your hubby make it? I have a box of nature valley bars in my bag for snacks, great minds think alike :D How are you feeling today?

All good here, scan yesterday and baby is happy out, head down still but not engaged. Doctor is happy with everything and baby weighing in at approx 6.5lbs currently. I had to wait an hour after my appointment for the breastfeeding class so we went for a walk around town. I had to keep stopping due to sharp pains in my groin area, like bolts of shooting pain. Calmed down after I sat down in the class for a bit. Perhaps baby was sitting on a nerve. Woke up this morning with a sore stomach at 5am and have been awake since. Third last day in work, I have a LOT to accomplish between now and Friday including a lot of HR stuff for my team so its going to be busy. I am so excited however to have some time off next week. Fingers crossed baby stays in there for the time being. Wuffly are you due next week? Are you finishing up this week too?

Congratulations Lucuma! First of the May babies has arrived!
    Any name yet? :)
    Second last day in work for me. Roll on tomorrow evening!
    If all goes to plan I'll have a full week off before baby arrives.
    Kathy I've been getting those sharp pains too. They'd really stop you in your tracks!

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling ok today, definitely more energy than yesterday so I must have gotten some sleep last night even though it didn't feel like I got a lot. The good thing about being in the hospital is it forces you to sit on your ass & rest for a few days, if I was at home I'd end up cooking & washing and getting sucked into doing things even with the best intentions to take it easy! Think my hubby finds it a bit of a headwreck being in the hospital room with me all day though, I'm thinking of sending him home early today coz he's starting to annoy me sitting there on his phone or else with a big sleepy head on him. He's gone off for coffee now. I don't need him as much to helpme this time around ....the 1st time I didn't want to be alone for 5 mins I was so overwhelmed!
    No hubby didn't make birth so thank GOD I had hired the doula.....I would have been lost without her & there's no way I'd put my mother through that! I gave birth at 2:34 and doula stayed with me til after 5am, made sure I was well settled in my room, carried my bags for me, oohed & aahed at baby, helped me with getting her latched on (I had forgotten everything about bf'ing) etc. It all came back to me from the doula's advice, my booklet from the course I did 1st time around which I've been reading in bed plus the BF class on the ward yesterday. She's cluster feeding now been stuck to me all day.
    We can't agree on a name at all......discussions are continuing. Eek

Ladies-in-waiting just to get ye psyched up for the newborn cuddles ....here's a little peep at my bundle of snuggles doing skin-to-skin with me earlier :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Ladies-in-waiting just to get ye psyched up for the newborn cuddles ....here's a little peep at my bundle of snuggles doing skin-to-skin with me earlier :-)
    She's beautiful..congrats! I'm in the Due July 2016 group but have followed your brilliant posts..loads of great advice. Congrats to you, your husband and little girl!

• Advertisement

Awwww well done. I'm extremely scared about what's going to come soon but your little baby is making me excited now. Can't wait for the cuddles. Congratulations xx

Aww Lucuma she is gorgeous! :D well done!!
    Glad you had the doula there she sounds like a great help. Hope the naming goes your way!

Teggers, last day today hope its nice and quiet for you and you get some r'n'r before the little one arrives.

Kathy, almost there for you too, hope your last two days aren't too stressful. This little one is head down but on engaged either, Dr wasn't worried, apparently lots of babies only engage when labour starts. Fair play to you attending the wedding, I'm not really able to do much outside work these days, the thought of standing up and sitting down all day and chatting to people would have me wrecked. Can imagine if anyone said anything like that to me, I don't think Dad's/Men get it in general. I'm sure you looked fab! Been getting sharpish pains on the left side, was thinking it might be baby trying to get 'engaged'? Nerve sounds right too tho.

I'm due the 7th (its moved around a bit), I'll be in work until next weds all going well. We've thurs off and our weekend is fri/sat. If i manage that far it brings me to within a week of how much time i'm hoping to take off, so fingers and legs crossed :D

JA, hope you're over the nesting, if my OH caught me on a chair he'd murder me! Hope the SPD/pain is ok, I can't wait to sleep like normal again..i turn a lot so missing sleeping on my front and back. Keep waking up on back tho, even with the pillow, think i've squashed the resistance out of it :rolleyes:

Hope everyone is well xx

Lucuma congrats again what a little cutie, love the head of dark hair. I can't believe I will have a baby in a few weeks. Ja like you i'm nervous but more so excited to meet the little person!

Wuffly you deserve a medal hanging in till the very end. My last day is tomorrow. All feeling a bit surreal. I think the pains are baby engaging, moving down and hitting a nerve, my previously pregnant friends all concluded it is normal. I hear you on the sleeping, look forward to being able to get back to my normal position without a long pillow between my legs. I'm also looking forward to being able to spring out of bed and not crawl out like a 90 year old woman as I have been for the last few weeks. Not long now :D

Teggers enjoy your last day. Not long till you meet your little guy. :)

Slept through the night last night, wohooo. Little joys. :)

Oh I had mam trying to pull me off the chair and offering to do it,but I'm an independent woman haha. I just got a spurt of energy and found dirt that I never seen before. I'm kinda decluttering at the moment now,we'll be lucky if we have couches left when I'm over it!

I had a hospital appointment yesterday and before that I was giving the choice of which birth I wanted ,csection or natural ,so I said to OH I think il try naturally this time. The doctor asked me yesterday and I said section out of nowhere .Now I'm booked in for the 17th and am absolutely a nervous wreak because I actually have a date. Kinda hoping I go myself beforehand. I healed great on my daughter's section but then I didn't have a toddler to be running after.

Iv been following the breastfeeding thread on here to get some tips,I didn't breastfeed my daughter ,so I picked up some nipple shields just in case. I hope everything goes well with the breastfeeding because I'm really looking forward to it.
    friend is calling this evening to bring me for a walk, haven't done much exercise since 4 months,so the walk will do me wonders.

Wonder which of us girls are next up Eeek !

Ja I did a breastfeeding workshop on Tuesday and the midwife recommended breastfeeding.ie and she gave us copies of this leaflet. Might be worth a read for you :)

Kathy22 wrote: »
    Ja I did a breastfeeding workshop on Tuesday and the midwife recommended breastfeeding.ie and she gave us copies of this leaflet. Might be worth a read for you :)

Oh thanks so much I'm really excited to do it this time so want to get my best foot forward. Will read that over my decaf now !

I think I had the pains ye all had a few nights ago. It's like an electric shock coming out down below like daggers? Well I googled it and it's called lightening crotch hahahaha! So that's my nickname around the house now,lightening crotch. Apparently it's the baby's head or hand hitting off a nerve in the cervix.mine went on for about an hour the other night so I have a baby boxing my cervix for the laugh!

I really didn't enjoy this pregnancy at all I feel awful saying it.maybe because it's not the first timer thing but now I'm getting sad at the thought its nearly over. I'm loving the extra movements now .

Oh Lucuma she's just beautiful. So perfect! Hope you're doing well?

Last day in work has finally arrived! Such a relief to turn off the alarm clock this morning for the last time, for a few months at least.
    Have hospital appointments tomorrow, antenatal in the morning and diabetes clinic in the afternoon. Gonna be a long day but long weekend ahead but plans to do as little as possible!
    Hope everyone hanging in ok?

JA sounds like the same thing alright, when I was looking online I came across the lightening crotch thing. I got it again last night. I think its triggered by doing something strenuous. I had carried heavy bags in Tesco yesterday and it kicked off and the day before was walking around town for a good while. Similar to you, I haven't loved being pregnant specifically the last few months in the third trimester but I have this odd feeling of it coming to an end, perhaps its just nerves. I was only talking to my husband about it last night. I love lying on the couch with the baby moving and find it incredibly relaxing especially now as they are so active. I'm sure once the baby is here I won't have time to feel like this :D

Teggers enjoy your last day and hope all your appointments go well tomorrow. Looking forward to the long weekend, going to have a date night with my husband on Saturday, probably our last for a while :O

Well we're checking out of here this morning 11am so gonna enjoy my last breakfast brought to me in bed on a tray shortly! Just in terms of hospital bag if anyone's interested. ...I used 4 vests, 4 babygros, couple of nighties/pyjamas for myself, couple of muslins (coz of the mucous), used 1 full pack green maternity pads, 1 full pack disposable knicks (get a larger size than u are), 1 full pack Boots maternity pads, 2 boxes of nature valley bars ha! Thankfully this time I did not need to use the inflatable rubber ring for sitting on (got in chemist) but on no.1 with episiotomy +4 stitches I used it in hospital if I wanted to sit on a normal chair as a break from the bed and most defo when I got home on kitchen chairs!
    I got hubby to bring my BF pillow into me on day 1 here, it's really handy for sitting up in bed feeding during the day. They have the blue 'my breast friend' ones u can borrow in here but my one from home (very simple cloth texture one from Guineys!) Is smaller & easier for using in bed. I also got him to bring in the desk fan. I only needed to use it for 2 hours in the afternoon when the room becomes a total sun trap.
    Kathy re your comment about looking forward to not needing a pillow btwn your legs for sleeping. ....what did I ask hubby to bring into me on day 2 after struggling to sleep without it? Haha.....looks like I have a dependency on the fecking body pillow now after it being my companion for months!
    Teggars woo hoo you got there! Turning off that alarm clock for the foreseeable future is such a sweet feeling! How did hospital, GD & antenatal go yesterday?
    Kathy last day today yipee!! Hope you get all the loose ends tied up ok.
    It's gas as soon as I gave birth before I even held baby my first thought was 'Thank Fcuk I don't have to be pregnant anymore!!!' :-) that was also my pep talk to myself during those last few very intense contractions I just thought 'get through this & no more bump, no more SPD' ....it motivated me to keep going big time! It is great not to be pregnant anymore I have to say. The SPD vanished
    once labour started just like on no.1. Imagine when I get home I'll be able to go for a walk!!! So excited as due to SPD that was out for the last 8 months.
    Ja I didn't enjoy this pregnancy either. It's a funny one too coz last time I knew god-willing it wouldn't be my last time being preg as we were always going to try for 2......this time I really don't know if I'll ever be gracing the doors of this mat hosp again, defo not for the next few years/foreseeable future anyway and who knows maybe never again!
    On the breastfeeding it's a rollercoaster alright just like everything else to do with babies. I got lucky.....I don't seem to have any major problems with it. Doing the course, attending the free lactation consultant, going to the HSE bf club in your area, asking qns on forums like this are all big factors in that though. ...to be fair there's loads of supports available so use them all!
    The main tips I would say to remember is first few days there is no milk only colostrum (a gel like substance). That's perfectly ok baby only needs a teaspoon of it to feel full coz it's so nutritious! For 1st few days put baby to the boob as much as poss.....that could mean all day and all through the night. Baby being at breast will stimulate your milk to come in. I woke up yesterday morning (day 3) and when I gently hand expressed there was milk happy days! Feeding also contracts your womb back down (be prepared for after pains of this! ) and you might pass a few clots when that happens. So my tummy has gone way down from feeding, thanks baby!
    Another tip to break suction if you need to delatch baby to get up etc.....stick the top of your baby finger into their mouth and break the suction so you can delatch. Keep nails on your baby fingers short & clean for this purpose!

Hope you and little one are settling in at home Lucuma!
    Thanks so much for the tips on the hospital bag. Mine is packed but it looks like I'm planning on staying in hospital for a month!
    Gonna unpack today and use your list. Everything else can be left out for hubbie to bring in when needed.
    Got on great in the hospital. No more antenatal clinic for me!
    Section is still on track for Monday 9th. Just need to go to hospital the day before to have bloods done and arrive first thing that morning then. Nerves are really starting to kick in now as it's getting closer!

• Advertisement

Morning Ladies!

Teggers and Kathy, hope ye are enjoying the freedom of being finished and getting some time to relax! Hope all your apts went well teggers.
    I am so jealous but I'm almost there, just a 4 day week!

How are you all settling in Lucuma? Hope the BF is going well for you. Sounds like you have it all under control!

JA, I can't believe those pains are called lightning crotch! So funny! :D pretty accurate description tho, they make me yelp sometimes, poor OH is on his last nerve with me. Had some braxton hicks again last night but all passed after and hour or 2.

Meant to redo my hospital bag at the weekend, its in the hall with a pile of 'additions' on it. Better do it this evening! Unless there is any action i'm seeing one of the midwives on my due date, my Dr is off on hols for 2 weeks :mad: would have been nice to know, but such is my luck, her back up is lovely but my physio warned me he's inclined to push for inductions, good to have the heads up as I tend to get lamped into things sometimes and i would really rather not get induced unless its medically necessary. Anyway everyone keeps telling me its all about the midwives! So not stressing about it. Can't believe i'm having a baby this month...possibly this week!! :D

Hope everyone is doing well xx

Hope you and little one are settling in at home Lucuma!
    Thanks so much for the tips on the hospital bag. Mine is packed but it looks like I'm planning on staying in hospital for a month!
    Gonna unpack today and use your list. Everything else can be left out for hubbie to bring in when needed.

Janey don't! I can't take that kind of responsibility!
    The items I mentioned I was just giving info of how many of those particular items I used in case anyone was interested, it wasn't a comprehensive list of everything you should bring! I brought a carry on suitcase for labour and a checked in suitcase for the hospital. So I certainly didn't pack light!

By the way I went to the physio class on the ward in CUMH, I also did the same in 2014 on no.1. This time around when they physio was talking about bowel movements and not straining your pelvic floor etc she mentioned that we shouldn't use wipes (in place of loo roll) as the chemicals in them could prematurely dissolve our stitches. I was thinking water wipes with their chemical free thingy might have more uses than just the baby :D Anyway based on what she said I'm just using water in the squidgee bottle now, no tea tree oil.

I wouldn't say I have everything under control at all wuffly, more like taking each day as it comes & praying it all stays under control! So far (touching everything wood in sight) it's going ok. Getting sleep which is the main thing. As ye know though my baseline for sleep was so bad that getting a few broken hours to me is fantastic. Those of ye that have been enjoying full night's sleep might go into shock at a typical newborn breastfeeding night ha! She spent more time in the co-sleeper last night now coz I used the swaddle. So I swaddled her at the start of the night, fed her swaddled and then moving her back into the co-sleeper was less likely to wake her up as she was snug in her swaddle so she didn't notice the difference of not being next to me as much. It's not a perfect art though, still lots of room for improvement!

Hi Wuffly, delighted to be finally finished work. Hope the week flys by for you :)
    Haha Lucuma don't worry I won't hold you personally responsible for my bag. Repacked last night and I'm pretty sure I won't miss the 12 babygros I took out :D it's nice to get an idea of what others are actually using while in hospital. I have all the spares laid out ready to be brought in as needed as I'll probably be in for 5 days at least after section. I have 2 carry-on size cases ready to go now.

Lucuma sounds like you guys are doing well. How is your daughter finding having a little sister? Hope you are settling in at home and you are getting some rest.

Thanks for the few tips, I will add in one or 2 muslin cloths into my bag. Its a bit of a mess at the moment and unable to close so need to sort it out tomorrow. I did buy a new carry on size bag today as my husband broke the handle on our old one. If it still won't close I will move stuff over to that. I only had one pack of the Boots maternity pads so might pick up a pack of those green ones in the chemist, a few of my friends have mentioned them now. Bought the Ameda double pump in Boots today, got an additional 25% off with the parenting club on the Boots app so got it for just over €90. Let's hope it works out now. My husband bought a tens machine on Amazon so we are all sorted now and ready to go.

Am exhausted now after going around the shops today, I was determined to get some curtains to finally finish the spare room which is now done. My body definately gets tired more easily. Slept woeful last night as well with all the bathroom trips and a pain in my back. Baby seems to be getting into an odd position lately when I sleep, curled up under my ribs putting a lot of pressure there which tends to wake me up.

Seems so weird to be finished work, not sure what to do with myself for the next few weeks. I have 2 or so things I told work I would help them with next week but its just a few hours which I can do from home so don't mind too much. One is my opinion on some CVs as they still haven't found my maternity cover.

Happy 1st of May guys. So hard to believe we are having a baby this month...eeeek!!!

I have 2 carry-on size cases ready to go now.

:pac::pac::pac: I don't feel so bad with my bags now ... LOL! :D

Ha sorry Lucuma! I mean as under control as things can be with a new born! Hope ye are managing ok and hope your toddler is taking well to the new arrival.

The two girls that have gone before me have had a rough time of it with regards to feeding, first girl (7 week old) has switched over to formula as baby had wouldn't latch at all, she did express but felt she was doing it for hours for so little milk and having to top him up with formula anyway. Other girls little one (2weeks) wasn't gaining weight so has had to top her up, poor little thing is hospital with an infection today getting antibiotics. There seems to be a lot of pressure to get baby gaining weight asap. Feels like the girls barely got a chance to BF before being pushed on to formula. Planning to book one of the midwives from my clinic to come out the day after I get home to get a good start at it, they are very gentle and pro bf, so hopefully will get me on the right track.

Finally started having to get up to pee during the night, so i guess baby is getting ready for action! I'll be in bits with no sleep so getting it in while i can! Also feeling really out of breath was trying to get through my handover yesterday and I was puffing like I was after running a race.

Kathy can't say I know what's ahead but I would say rest as much as you can and enjoy some time with your hubby!
    Teggers hope you are taking it easy now you are finished, must be exciting to know you are having your baby this day next week!!

JA when are you due?

Thanks for warning me about the contractions afterwards 're breastfeeding.MIL just mentioned it there too. Oooh exciting times ha. I'm going in for a section on the 17th but I really feel I might go earlier. I done a lot of walking yesterday and today and its bringing on a lot of weird pains. Maybe it's the Braxton hicks.
    Boyfriend and toddler heading to the swimming pool now,I really should go it would be great for me.,but I actually think il sink! And I'm very lazy and want to sit at home and watch craps tv and eat all the chocolate !
    Are any of ye getting really strong movements? Do you ever watch videos of pregnant bellies and the baby is rolling so much you can see everything from the outside. I actually have that movement now,my little girl doesn't know what's going on!

Kathy22 wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac: I don't feel so bad with my bags now ... LOL! :D

Is that too much?? One for me and one for baby. I don't think I can make them any smaller! Lol

I lost my plug this morning. Hoping it's not a sign of anything happening in the next few days. Need baby to hold on til section day!! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Wuffly unfortunately sometimes a mother needs to fight against the "medical professionals" about bf. Bf babies take longer to get back to birth weight than ff babies, yet many gps and phns go by the ff charts, it's ridiculous. My son took 3 weeks to get back which is completely normal but a locum gp was threatening me with formula top ups if he didn't reach it by week 3...I was fully prepared to lie and say I was doing it.

Speak to a lactation consultant/cuidiu counsellor, find your nearest Cuidiu group and read everything you can from reliable sources like kellymom website, and brace yourself for outdated incorrect "advice" from some midwives. You're right, many aren't even given a sufficient chance to establish bf before top ups are being practically forced on them.

• Advertisement

Is that too much?? One for me and one for baby. I don't think I can make them any smaller! Lol

I lost my plug this morning. Hoping it's not a sign of anything happening in the next few days. Need baby to hold on til section day!! :O

I actually had check in size bags in my head which is why I thought they were so big. I think I will be joining you and upgrading to a carry on size bag and then using the holdall as my labour bag. I simply cannot close either of them. Think the towels and blankets have bulked it up. I will use the small bag, currently as the labour bag to pack both our going home outfits which my husband can bring in when he comes to collect us. Teggers hopefully that baby holds in for another week. Imagine this time next week you will have your baby. Wish I had a crystal ball to see when this baba will arrive.

Went to pick up our car seat today and it has not arrived. Ordered it over a month ago so was a tad peeved. Girl says end of this week early next which they told us that last time. If we need it before then they will fit the base which is in and give us a loan of one. Sleep is gone pretty crap lately although I have fallen asleep in the afternoon yesterday and today unintentionally.

Ja I have loads of mini videos of the baby doing serious moves. Although I won't be sharing them on youtube :pac: Definitely feel it getting stronger and stronger. Love being able to say I am due next week, feels so close!

Wuffly only 3 days left for you in work, hope they go super fast :)

Lucuma hope you and the little one are doing well at home.

Lucuma quick question for you if you manage to find a spare moment. Did you find the tens helpful? We bought one, I'm wondering should I test it out first or is it pretty self explanatory?

Honestly thought I was starting last night. Had the worse dull lower back pain and pins and needles feelings all down my inner legs from my bum down. Also felt so much pressure in my bum. Then I started googling symptoms and was awake til 2 reading horror stories.!
    Sorry if this is TMI but had sex yesterday so maybe that was it !

Thanks for the info Spottyb, didn't know it takes bf babies longer to regain the weight. Good to know. I'm not in ireland at the moment so no cuidiu. Joined an bf facebook group here, hopefully something similar.

Teggers how are you doing? Hope baby is staying put for you!
    Kathy that is a pain about the car seat, didn't think it would need to be ordered for so long!
    JA hope you got some rest and those pains are gone, sorry i lol'd re sex, keeping my OH at arms length until i finish work! ;) just in case... he keeps saying 'what gets em in gets em out'! And i'm thinking i just need a few more days.... stay over there :D

Repacked the bag last night, bit happier with everything now, not sure i have enough of everything but should be grand!

Seeing lots of movement on the outside the last few weeks but nothing like seeing a foot or hand print. Still getting around the idea there is a little person in there!

Lucuma hope all's going well at home x

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Hi everyone,, My wife is now 40 weeks +3 days.. on our first. I'm back in work now after the long weekend.. would really love if the baby came soon,, she is in bed shattered tired,, with some cramps that come and go,, lower back pain,, brown discharge (sorry TMI) and a headache.. Baby is quite active and getting big.. infact I reckon we are looking at 8.5 or 9 lbs.. so far..

ja1986 Sounds similar to my OH,,

super excited to meet this boy or girl.. We have a meeting with the doctor this Thursday,, which is 40 weeks plus 5 days.. hopefully It doesn't go that far,, fingers crossed..

superman28 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,, My wife is now 40 weeks +3 days.. on our first. I'm back in work now after the long weekend.. would really love if the baby came soon,, she is in bed shattered tired,, with some cramps that come and go,, lower back pain,, brown discharge (sorry TMI) and a headache.. Baby is quite active and getting big.. infact I reckon we are looking at 8.5 or 9 lbs.. so far..

ja1986 Sounds similar to my OH,,

super excited to meet this boy or girl.. We have a meeting with the doctor this Thursday,, which is 40 weeks plus 5 days.. hopefully It doesn't go that far,, fingers crossed..

Hello superman, any news of anything stirring? Sounds like there is something happening anyway. I'm glad you mentioned about the headaches your oh is having.Had a monster one all day Monday and was quiet worried about it so maybe it's normal at this stage. I took a few panadol throughout the day which I didn't want to but had to. Haven't had any of the discharge your mentioning but I think that might be her plug?

TMI here again,but I'm literally pooing my brains out. 8 times I went yesterday . There is nothing left in me to give!!! Sorry for saying,but just wondering if anyone else like this? How is everyone else getting on ? Not long left girls x

• Advertisement

brown discharge (sorry TMI)

That sounds like it could be a 'show' which is a sign of labour starting.

For me mucous plug was yellow but show had blood in it. Mucous plug doesn't mean labour is starting but a show can.

Kathy- yes I swear by the TENS. It's hands down the reason I managed without epidural on no.1. It's very important to familiarise yourself with how it works in advance. You & your husband can watch a video online which will show you how it goes on. Or read the instructions/follow the pictures. I did a test run on my hand to make sure it was working, you get a little electric shock when you do the test!
    On no.1 I put it on myself (not recommended) by sitting on the floor with my back to the mirror. On no.2 I got my Mam to put it on (circa 1am) . She readjusted the pads (electrodes) once after looking at the picture in the instructions.

Teggars hope baby hangs on til the section! I think 2 carry on bags for a 5 day stay shows remarkable restraint!
    Kathy you should go for a nap every arvo now for your time off, I highly recommend it!!
    Ja I think diarrhoea is common enough at this stage. Beats the constipation that comes after having the baby.....I had to get a prescription laxative from the GP yesterday! Midwives in hosp also told me to have porridge for brekkie (recommended for BF anyway as oats increase milk supply) and eat kiwis & pears. I'm taking Floradix ever since giving birth ...the iron in it prob doesn't help the constipation but I really regret not taking a tonic like that after labour last time. Your body is depleted of vitamins & minerals after labour & you really need to build yourself back up again. I got these awful cracks at the side of my mouth from being run down last time.
    Wuffly here they measure baby's weight on Day 4 and they want to see baby jas lost no more than 10% of their birth weight. This baby had lost 6% of her birth weight on Day 4 which they said was 'very good' for exclusively breastfed (no top ups).
    The PHN visited yesterday & she said they want to see baby back to birth weight by day 10.
    That's a pity bf hasn't worked out for your 2 friends Wuffly. If you can get the latch sorted in the first few days you should be laughing. Think positive anyway!

Superman hope your wife is feeling better. No fun feeling crap whilst waiting for baby to arrive. Hopefully she gets a lot of rest. Exciting time for you guys and not long to wait.

Wuffly was today your last day in work? Hopefully all is going OK work wise and you don't have too much stress. You've had a lot of stuff going on the last few weeks.

Ja I think diarrhea is pretty common at this stage. I would say I am super regular at the moment.

Had a horrible night last night, vomited twice triggered I think by heartburn, baby moving kept making me feel ill pushing my stomach then woke up at 5am sweating and drenched. So tired today! Working on finalising my birth plan at the moment. Plan on discussing it with my consultant next week. Finally got the whooping cough vaccine today after procrastinating on it for so long. So excited for this baby to arrive. So excited to not be pregnant LOL!

Lucuma hope you and your little lady are doing good. Sounds like breastfeeding is going well for you and her.

Thanks for the tens info, me and my husband had a bit of craic with it last night testing it out. I am also going to get some floradix for after the birth. Thanks for all your advice.

I am finally finished packing my hospital bag, got some of those green maternity pads and have lots of snacks!

Not long now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Hi everyone,,
    brown discharge (sorry TMI)

That sounds like it could be a 'show' which is a sign of labour starting.
    Kathy- yes I swear by the TENS. It's hands down the reason I managed without epidural on no.1. It's very important to familiarise yourself with how it works in advance. You & your husband can watch a video online which will show you how it goes on. Or read the instructions/follow the pictures. I did a test run on my hand to make sure it was working, you get a little electric shock when you do the test!
    On no.1 I put it on myself (not recommended) by sitting on the floor with my back to the mirror. On no.2 I got my Mam to put it on (circa 1am) . She readjusted the pads (electrodes) once after looking at the picture in the instructions.
    Bought a TENS machine online a while back,, was recommended by our midwife.. it is a Elle TENS machine,, and was cheaper to buy from the UK and have it shipped over.. I think it was 54 euro..

OH is now 40 weeks + 5 days.. going to the consultant today for a check up.. hopefully won't be much longer.. (I'm dying to get off work, its on my mind all day)...

Also I booked a lactation consultant (this sounds fancy but actually isn't) just a midwife who will call to your house for an hour and go over bf etc.. I think you can claim it back from your insurance so not too bad really, it's only 70 euro so either way probably worth it. Wife wanted this as we found in the Rotunda they mightn't have anyone available for a good one on one session.. but I have no idea where she heard about this..

Good luck everyone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Well we're in the rotunda now. 10 days early! Good luck to you all!

Good luck gumbo let us know how it goes!
    9 days in here and surviving! She slept for a bit of a stretch last night for the 1st time so that was nice! From when we went to bed circa 11pm til 3am. Then we were busy from 3-5ish changing, redoing the swaddle, feeding, winding, feeding and got another bit of a sleep then from 5ish to 7:30ish. That's defo the best night yet! First night I could even give rough times actually as the other nights one feed blurred into the next.
    The whether-to-wind-or-not now is wrecking my head plus the snorting & general grunting .....the pattern is: I feed her & she falls asleep. I then move her to cosleeper . She grunts & groans in her sleep to the point that I can't sleep through it. So I thought maybe it's wind. So I started winding her after each feed. But in the process of winding her she wakes up & wants to feed again so I'm back to square 1!
    Possible solutions are: master the art of winding without waking, or do a quick topup feed to get her back to sleep again before lying her down, or let her sleep next to me in the bed, she doesn't grunt & groan half as much then, or give her the soother when she's in cosleeper & hope she falls asleep herself. I've been doing mixture of all of those & hoping for the best. Every night is a venture into the unknown......but touch wood so far things seem to be going a lot better than they did on no.1.
    Got baby's passport photos today- what a challenge! That was our 2nd time trying as she would not wake up the 1st time! And got to the garda station. Found out we need to send off my passport with the application though (even though it does not say that on the form!) And didn't have it with us so will go to post office & send it off tomorrow. Only got her PPS no in the post today so could only apply for passport earliest today.
    I rang dept of social welfare re her child benefit & turns out- as someone on boards had tipped me off- that coz I got no.1's child benefit put into one of those child saver accounts in post office, that means no.2s will automatically go to the same acc & it's not possible to have them go to 2 different accounts. Problem is I put the childsaver acc not in my own name but in no.1's name! The 2 sisters better not fall out! :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement