Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

rovoagho wrote: »
    You mean 5450? If so, sure, send on what you want for it.

Doh. Yeah 5450. PM on its way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Is this offer still available? A lot of pages in this thread!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

seklly wrote: »

Cashback offer expired yesterday.

You would have needed to have an invoice date from 1st - 30th Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

seklly wrote: »

No but it'll be back in about a year when they release the next model :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Installed ubuntu desktop on it, happy days.

Added the hardware raid 1 but for some reason ubuntu doesn't recognise it. I still see the 2 separate hard disks in mount manager.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks.
    Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Installed ubuntu desktop on it, happy days.

Added the hardware raid 1 but for some reason ubuntu doesn't recognise it. I still see the 2 separate hard disks in mount manager.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks.
    Gary

Yes... Use the Linux software RAID. The onboard raid is not really a raid controller. It has no battery backup or anything like that. In the event of a failure your chances of a recovery are far greater with standard Linux software raid than some proprietary onboard implementation.

gerryk wrote: »
    Yes... Use the Linux software RAID. The onboard raid is not really a raid controller. It has no battery backup or anything like that. In the event of a failure your chances of a recovery are far greater with standard Linux software raid than some proprietary onboard implementation.

Oh right. I thought I'd save on processing by going hardware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Oh right. I thought I'd save on processing by going hardware?

Understandably, but it's just mirroring. There's almost no processing happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Not anymore. You don't really have an option anyway, as the previous poster said, the onboard raid isn't actually raid. Google fakeraid for more info.

I use Greyhole, so data can be recovered without long waits for rebuilding on big disks. I only use hardware raid on business servers now.

rovoagho wrote: »
    Not anymore. You don't really have an option anyway, as the previous poster said, the onboard raid isn't actually raid. Google fakeraid for more info.

I use Greyhole, so data can be recovered without long waits for rebuilding on big disks. I only use hardware raid on business servers now.

Thanks for that guys heres the link. Probably not going back to windows or dual booting so will go software I'd say.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

Any quick guide to setting up raid 1?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Dunno about Ubuntu. In CentOS it's available via the installer. It's possible but very messy to do on a live system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ebuyer have the N54L in again for £177 atm.

http://www.ebuyer.com/430446

cashback available, but I think it's only with an MS OS.

Parcel Motel is your friend for postage. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey Guys,

Can cash back still be gotten on these in Ireland? I can only find the UK cashback offer pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

Hey Guys,

Can cash back still be gotten on these in Ireland? I can only find the UK cashback offer pdf
    Old Generation or new Gen8?
    Check out http://www.hp.com/ie/essnpromotions...

Did you buy before dec 31st?

If not mail promotions@out-bound.co.uk and ask them for a claim form. Seems to be running in the UK at the moment so should be on here too. They can be a bit slow about getting the Irish forms updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RParker123

This is a long thread to try and read......

Is this hp proliant server still available?
    Is this a NAS?
    Is this a good option to run Plex on or should I go with something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Another question: Can I use the UK form to claim the cashback?
    Can I buy from the UK and claim back using the Irish form (if they are doing it at the moment)?

RParker123 wrote: »
    This is a long thread to try and read......

Is this hp proliant server still available?
    Is this a NAS?
    Is this a good option to run Plex on or should I go with something else.

the N54L can still be bought. Ebyuyer have them for £180 + £10 delivery to NI (plus €3.50 Parcel motel). Misco.ie have it for €220 (dont know how much delivery is, also check they are an approved partner for cashback)

It is not a NAS exactly, but a NAS is network attached storage, which this can be set up to do. I have 4TB of hard drives in mine that I can access from any device on my network. I am running Ubuntu and using samba to achieve the NAS part. Its big advantage over a NAS is the additional stuff it can do, its a fully working PC so you can pretty much install any applications you like. I have a web server running on mine, a torrent client, sickbeard etc

I run Plex on mine (N40L, slower processor) and it is working great for me. I dont know if it is doing any transcoding or whatever but the now TV box and my phone work perfectly with it.

12 element wrote: »
    Another question: Can I use the UK form to claim the cashback?
    Can I buy from the UK and claim back using the Irish form (if they are doing it at the moment)?

Yeah I was able to last year anyways.

stimpson wrote: »
    Did you buy before dec 31st?

If not mail promotions@out-bound.co.uk and ask them for a claim form. Seems to be running in the UK at the moment so should be on here too. They can be a bit slow about getting the Irish forms updated.

No I havent bought it yet.

Thanks, I mailed them this morning. I'll post back when they reply.

EDIT:

Got a reply:
    Hi Brian,

For some reason the claim form has not been updated but it has been extended in Ireland. Please just complete the December form, that will be fine.

Kind Regards,

Alison B
    Programmes Administrator

I snipped her second name so not to be posting it on the internet! But if anyone needs a copy of the email just let me know and I'll forward it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Is there any issue running a 4tb drive in one of these?

Is there any issue running a 4tb drive in one of these?

Once your OS supports it then you should be fine.

Pulled the trigger this morning with dabs.ie

Which is €221 + €7.50 delivery but I was looking at the claim form:

January 2014

I noticed that there was €83 cashback on a care package so I checked the price of that on dabs, €86.50! So it made it an extra €3.50 for the care package. But even better the car package brought my order over the €300 free delivery threshold with dabs so the total cost of adding the care pacakge after cashback is -€4!

Link to N54L
    Link to Micro server support

Hopefully it works out ok! Total price for server and care package should be €307 - €143 = €164 delivered

Hopefully it works out ok!

You won't be disappointed - great little machines.

You won't be disappointed - great little machines.

I have a N40L already and love it! I got it for my Dad, he got a smart TV recently and I had an old netbook running a plex server and it's DNLA server was working great for him, but I think the HDD kicked the bucket so I said I would put in a proper solution

I replaced my with a Samsung F7000. Plex app is great, except for high bitrate MKV's with DTS audio. A real PITA - would have been a perfect solution, just leaving me with a TV, an AV receiver and a PS3 in the living room. Might invest in a 1080p Roku.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

January 2014

I noticed that there was €83 cashback on a care package so I checked the price of that on dabs, €86.50! So it made it an extra €3.50 for the care package. But even better the car package brought my order over the €300 free delivery threshold with dabs so the total cost of adding the care pacakge after cashback is -€4!

Link to N54L

Hopefully it works out ok! Total price for server and care package should be €307 - €143 = €164 delivered

According to the T&cs you must buy from an authorized HP distributor in ROI to qualify. Anybody know if dabs.ie is one as they dont appear on HP's online list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

I replaced my with a Samsung F7000. Plex app is great, except for high bitrate MKV's with DTS audio. A real PITA - would have been a perfect solution, just leaving me with a TV, an AV receiver and a PS3 in the living room. Might invest in a 1080p Roku.
    I have the N54L with Plex server on it and I have it wired to my Dad's house (couple of doors down from me :)). He has a 1080p roku and as far as I know everything is playing fine for him (I would get the call for tech support if it wasn't). I also had a Nowtv for myself but the transcoding was maxing out the cpu at 100% for the duration of my 3-4GB mkvs with DTS so I have ditched that for now and am saving for either an Ouya or hold out a little longer for an i3 Nuc.

I am not hugely tech savvy so I have 1 quick question. Would it be possible to add a graphics card to the N54L and have that graphics card handle the transcoding duties of Plex and take the pressure off the CPU which is currently maxing at 100% when trying to transcode some of my files to the Nowtv. I dont want to connect anything directly to the graphics card, just wondering if I could offload transcoding duty to the Graphics card?

Plex can't use the GPU for transcoding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Why would anyone want to transcode when there are cheap popcornhour etc boxes can can read the file natively over lan?

Never understood the attraction of DNLA - is it to save 50 quid at the expense of maxed out CPUs, higher electric power usage and lower quality?

Genuine question.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

lynchie wrote: »
    According to the T&cs you must buy from an authorized HP distributor in ROI to qualify. Anybody know if dabs.ie is one as they dont appear on HP's online list?

I havent checked with HP but I'd say its safe enough. Dabs.com is a preferred partner.

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/contact-hp/e-partners/hpstore-hho.html

johnybean wrote: »
    I am not hugely tech savvy so I have 1 quick question. Would it be possible to add a graphics card to the N54L and have that graphics card handle the transcoding duties of Plex and take the pressure off the CPU which is currently maxing at 100% when trying to transcode some of my files to the Nowtv. I dont want to connect anything directly to the graphics card, just wondering if I could offload transcoding duty to the Graphics card?

Use Direct Stream on Plex on the NowTV box - there should be no need to transcode unless you have a really crappy wireless router.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ozmo wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to transcode when there are cheap popcornhour etc boxes can can read the file natively over lan?

Never understood the attraction of DNLA
    - is it to save 50 quid at the expense of maxed out CPUs, higher electric power usage and lower quality?

Genuine question.

Multiple devices. Not just one HTPC or media player.

Use Direct Stream on Plex on the NowTV box - there should be no need to transcode unless you have a really crappy wireless router.
    Nowtv wont direct stream dts files

Plex can't use the GPU for transcoding

thanks for the clarification witnessmenow. back to the original plan of the Ouya/Nuc and xbmc

Nowtv wont direct stream dts files

I was using it for a while and didn't have an issue with DTS.

thanks for the clarification witnessmenow. back to the original plan of the Ouya/Nuc and xbmc

I had being using xbmc and the ouya and was working great for me, then my ouya network interfaces broke, both of them within a few weeks of each other. I should be able to get it replaced.

Maybe its the way the files are encoded but if I try to play files which are dts encoded I get a message saying that the audio device cannot be detected or something to that effect. Most of the files are either ac3 or dts audio encoded mkv and mp4 files. Come to think of it, its probably the tv not being able to play dts and not the nowtv. Its a pity because when I select auto from the streaming options menu Plex decides whether to transcode or not and the CPU shoots up to 100%.

I had being using xbmc and the ouya and was working great for me, then my ouya network interfaces broke, both of them within a few weeks of each other. I should be able to get it replaced.
    Im just hesitating on the Ouya at the moment because of the Dts issue, I know about sbmc version from koying but I am not actually looking to passthrough audio, I just want something that will play all files through the tv. I have a pentium laptop hooked up at the moment which is playing everything fine but the fan is driving me nuts.

Maybe its the way the files are encoded but if I try to play files which are dts encoded I get a message saying that the audio device cannot be detected or something to that effect. Most of the files are either ac3 or dts audio encoded mkv and mp4 files. Come to think of it, its probably the tv not being able to play dts and not the nowtv. Its a pity because when I select auto from the streaming options menu Plex decides whether to transcode or not and the CPU shoots up to 100%.

Is the message from the TV or the NowTV box? I was using a HDMI switching 5.1 receiver, so that might have been why it worked for me.

• Advertisement

Is the message from the TV or the NowTV box? I was using a HDMI switching 5.1 receiver, so that might have been why it worked for me.
    The message comes from the TV. I think maybe your receiver is the key here. I was confused because when I connect my laptop to the tv i can direct play all files but sometimes I have to switch my audio output to analog, even though its connected by HDMI. I dont know why this works,it just does. My head is melted with all this :confused:

Im just hesitating on the Ouya at the moment because of the Dts issue, I know about sbmc version from koying but I am not actually looking to passthrough audio, I just want something that will play all files through the tv. I have a pentium laptop hooked up at the moment which is playing everything fine but the fan is driving me nuts.

I never used the official Ouya XBMC client, I used the one you side loaded which did not have the DTS issue (thats the codec issue right?). Its a bit of fun as a console too. If they were €100 I would buy a second one no bother, they are just a tiny bit dear i think.

Never understood the attraction of DNLA - is it to save 50 quid at the expense of maxed out CPUs, higher electric power usage and lower quality?

Genuine question.
    Multiple devices. Not just one HTPC or media player.

But cannot you do just that with One NAS (or file-shares on a PC/Laptop) and then a WDLive/XMBC/R PI or whatever at the tvs.

It just seems that with all the effort buying digital source, digital lcd tv, digital hdmi cables
    - you are then introducing the digital equivalent of a scart cable right in the middle that is degrading resolution and bitrate from the high quality source you have to hand that you could be using directly.

And all the transcoding required on the plex/win7 server likely means it can support maybe one (maybe less) high definition client without stutter.
    Fast forward/rewind and subtitles are going suffer unnecessarily too?

“Roll it back”

I never used the official Ouya XBMC client, I used the one you side loaded which did not have the DTS issue (thats the codec issue right?). Its a bit of fun as a console too. If they were €100 I would buy a second one no bother, they are just a tiny bit dear i think.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I've spent the past few years buying cheap and buying twice, thrice etc etc :)
    This is why I think I am going to hold out for either this nuc which is down to £128 at the moment with an i3 but no LAN, get a Thunderbolt to LAN adapter and take my chances
    or
    this nuc with LAN already when it comes down in price a bit.
    or ;)
    This one which is promising to be a really cheap nuc which is shaping up to be an ideal htpc if everything pans out.

Decisions, decisions

But cannot you do just that with One NAS (or file-shares on a PC/Laptop) and then a WDLive/XMBC/R PI or whatever at the tvs.

It just seems that with all the effort buying digital source, digital lcd tv, digital hdmi cables
    - you are then introducing the digital equivalent of a scart cable right in the middle that is degrading resolution and bitrate from the high quality source you have to hand that you could be using directly.

And all the transcoding required on the plex/win7 server likely means it can support maybe one (maybe less) high definition client without stutter.

Why do you think it's degrading the resolution? With directplay/directstream you get the full resolution. It only transcodes when necessary - eg. to my iPhone over 3g. I can push 30GB MKV's over gigabit Ethernet to my Samsung Smart TV without issue.

You asked about DNLA, I responded about it. Want to bring in hardware. It's easily expandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭biebiebie

January 2014

Link to N54L

That's a great deal if it stands. I'd be interested in one myself.

However I have a suspicion that the Dabs.ie purchase might not qualify for the cashback offer. And if not then it will end up costing the full €307.

Have you confirmed this with dabs.ie yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OK Guys.
    I am thinking of one of these in the near future
    I will be using it mainly to store mkv files and some music to stream as well.

I understand there are different specs between the models, but what difference would I see between the N36 ~ N40 & N54 as an end user?

Cheers

You asked about DNLA, I responded about it. Want to bring in hardware. It's easily expandable.
    Why do you think it's degrading the resolution? With directplay/directstream you get the full resolution. It only transcodes when necessary - eg. to my iPhone over 3g. I can push 30GB MKV's over gigabit Ethernet to my Samsung Smart TV without issue.

Ok - thanks - when I was testing it a few years back - there was no directplay/directstream support in the spec - everything I had was getting transcoded - and I couldn't get any what I would call acceptable results - I might give it another test see if it has improved.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    OK Guys.
    I am thinking of one of these in the near future
    I will be using it mainly to store mkv files and some music to stream as well.

I understand there are different specs between the models, but what difference would I see between the N36 ~ N40 & N54 as an end user?

Cheers

I can do what you are talking about on my N40L, but you wont be able to buy a N40L or N36L for as cheap as a new N54L so you may as well get the most powerful one!

Advertisement