Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA Shield Tablet - Tegra K1 chip - Will you Buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Anyone else still waiting on their replacement shield tablet? I submitted my RMA claim and got the automated email back on August 2nd, but not a word as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Same here - submitted 4th August not a peep - have seen on other forums that the replacement has been delivered without any communication from Nvidia - in some cases emails arriving 3 days after the replacement was delivered telling them it was being dispatched. Not handled particularly well imo - was minded to try emailing/calling them this week to check what the status was - if I'd stopped using the device as they recommended I'd be really pissed off with a 4 week + wait for the replacement to arrive. I won't feel as guilty about trying to kill the kill switch now....

Just got an email from Nvidia, apologising for the delay and saying that they are sending out replacements in the order in which the claims were received - as I submitted my claim on August 2nd I gotta be close to the front of the list by this stage!

Got that as well yesterday - vague and not particularly useful in determining if it will be 1 week or 6 weeks delay....registered my recall on 4th Aug - post here when you get yours sorted cheers

One week on and still nothing received....anyone else get theirs yet?

• Advertisement

Still waiting, emailed them earlier though as I'm losing patience a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Has anyone downloaded the new ROM update yet?

ionapaul wrote: »
    Still waiting, emailed them earlier though as I'm losing patience a bit.
    Got a reply today, after giving them my tablet's serial number Nvidia has now confirmed that the replacement hasn't even shipped yet :(

From the body of the email: "Unfortunately we are experiencing delays from our suppliers and many people are still waiting for their replacement tablets."

From the footer of the email, this is very strange as it is a single line all by itself, like it wasn't supposed to be there: "Our fulfilment house have run out of stock"

In a week or two I'm gonna ask them if they plan to financially compensate those of us who haven't received a replacement yet; I'm happy to buy a Nexus 9 if no replacement is coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Given they told people to stop using them two months ago that really is a joke. I was planning on their next tablet being a replacement of my iPad but will carefully consider it after this mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I sent for my replacement after seeing it in this thread on the 7th September and according to UPS it's already in Dublin so should have it tomorrow hopefully.

As an aside, if I start playing around with trying to deactivate the kill switch, and end up bricking the tablet, will my new one still be perfectly fine or could NVIDIA kill that one too since I tried fecking around the old one? Probably a very stupid question but just wanna make sure the new one will be perfectly fine if I go to town on the old one and it doesn't work out.

• Advertisement

Got my UPS tracking number yesterday, so mine is on the way as well and due for delivery on Monday - cue a few evenings next week trying to nix the kill switch before setting up the new Shield!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ionapaul wrote: »
    Got my UPS tracking number yesterday, so mine is on the way as well and due for delivery on Monday - cue a few evenings next week trying to nix the kill switch before setting up the new Shield!

Is there a way to do that? Mine's on the way too and I'd love to be able to hold onto my original.

Yep, think there's a link earlier in this thread? The info is on XDA Developers website I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

My son is thinking of replacing his iPad mini and ps vita with the Nvidia shield portable or the tablet. He thinks the portable would be the best option. Is he mad? I'm clueless on these. Are they hard come by second hand? Any advice or help you could give would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hi all,

Question to anybody who owns a shield k1.

Can you play games like lego batman without using gforce now, as my connection is very poor (2mb).

Does nvidia gamestream need a good connection, my pc says that it is gamestream ready.

Realistically if i dont use gamestream or nvida now, are the only games i can play the android games?

Thanks
    Ross

OSI wrote: »
    If you want to stream from Nvidia Grid you'll need an excellent connection. You'd really be wanting UPC or similar. If you just want to stream the game from your PC to the Shield, you just need a decent wireless router, that's what "Gamestream Ready" is referring to.

Thanks, i have a decent router but at least that can be upgraded, unlike my connection.

Can i ask where you bought yours from? amazon.co.uk dont seem to have any

I don't have the K1, I have the original Shield Tablet, which is the exact same bar comestics and a stylus. But a friend of mine bought the K1 from Nvidia direct and it arrived after a couple of weeks, and they seem to be showing as in-stock there now.

http://shield.nvidia.co.uk/store/tablet/k1

Cheers think ill pull the trigger.

They have them on komplett.ie but i think i will go direct.

Got my Shield today, first ever android device.

Charger will be out of stock for another 2-3 weeks so just wondering if a ps4 controller charger cable and an apple wall base thing will work to charge the shield without damaging it?

Thanks

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Got my Shield today, first ever android device.

Charger will be out of stock for another 2-3 weeks so just wondering if a ps4 controller charger cable and an apple wall base thing will work to charge the shield without damaging it?

Thanks

If the USB cable fits then it will be fine. You can charge with any micro USB charger really as the tablet (and all devices the cable fits) only takes what it needs. If the crapple charger has a lower milliamp output than the nvidia one it will just take longer to complete.

god's toy wrote: »
    If the USB cable fits then it will be fine. You can charge with any micro USB charger really as the tablet (and all devices the cable fits) only takes what it needs. If the crapple charger has a lower milliamp output it will just take longer to complete.

Cheers, yeah i ended up using the shield controller micro usb and the apple base.

Feckin 3 hours remaining and it wasnt even empty.

• Advertisement

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Cheers, yeah i ended up using the shield controller micro usb and the apple base.

Feckin 3 hours remaining and it wasnt even empty.

Yep it will take a while as the battery in the shield is bigger so takes longer to charge fully. If the charger can handle it, you should be able to play and use at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

This tablet is astonishingly good value. Has great specs, display, speed and even though it's not as thin as others, it's still light.

I was thinking of getting the iPad Mini 4 for travelling mainly but I could get 2 Shield Tablets for one Mini....Front facing speakers as well? Superb. Great to see a new player doing such a good job like. More of the same please Nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Thinking of getting one of these. Hate to read all the earlier posts though about returning them. Hope all that is sorted. Can't get them from amazon.co.uk so might try amazon.de? Anyone get one from here? I presume I can change the language to English right?

Just seen they are cheaper on komplett.ie so will get it there instead.

Shield just popped up with some Marshmallow love! Downloading now :)

Yeah I saw a few sites saying it was up, but damn tablet is just giving me an "error fetching OTA info" when I check for updates.

Yep I had that too (it even downloaded the update but would not install) but I just got it there now full install so whatever the bug was it's gone for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I was able to download Marshmallow about 10 days ago without any issue!

BDJW wrote: »
    I was able to download Marshmallow about 10 days ago without any issue!

If its ota updaye, you were probably part of the soak test before the mass role out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

god's toy wrote: »
    Shield just popped up with some Marshmallow love! Downloading now :)

Just saw that they have stopped the roll out due to a potential issue of it breaking wifi

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02/02/nvidia-has-halted-the-android-6-0-update-for-the-shield-tablet-because-it-might-break-your-wifi/

OmegaRed wrote: »

Yep. Mine downloaded fine and my WiFi is still working but I've read people who updated and it killed the WiFi . expected an update file asap from them

• Advertisement

FYI. Getting another update from nvidia.

Still says 4.0 LTE but I suppose it's a fixed version of the wifi Bricker before it.

Advertisement