Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Can you tell me where this place is please and was it busy?
    Website.. it's on Rockwood Parade (beside Four Star Pizza).

Was only there for Sunday lunch - though wasn't too busy when I arrived about 1.15pm but very busy when I was leaving an hour or so later.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dunlaffin

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Was that not run by the fella who has the Bistro? I don't remember it either,but it's funny,mum was only on about that place the other week.

It is the same guy who owns both. Your mum will have plenty to talk about in the months ahead if she likes those places. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Dunlaffin wrote: »
    It is the same guy who owns both. Your mum will have plenty to talk about in the months ahead if she likes those places. ;)

Ah here, how old are ya? 13?

Either spill the beans or quit yer yappin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

While we're on about my mum I'll say this one she used to say:

**** or get off the pot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dunlaffin

Slidey wrote: »
    Ah here, how old are ya? 13?

Old enough to know exactly what is being put together, in superb detail, and it is the attention to detail here that will truly take some time to appreciate. You will have read about the Italian quarter being planned by the river, well we aren't talking about a new Neon sign, Sir. I'm just telling ya, Its big and its going to take time but its definitely the real deal. Bistro has moved, and will open shortly but that's just the start of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Eala Bhan

Opening hours:
    Mon - Sun

Price: Sunday Lunch Menu: mains 12.95, 2 courses 17.95, 3 courses 22.95

Started with complimentary maison bouche of the day: curry and parsnip, lovely and suited the cold weather. Nice rustic white bread slices on a slate. Good glass of house white - very nice.

Started with home-made duck liver pate, pain grille and plum chutney. Smooth pate served in 3 large scoops (sort of like sorbet scoops) on a bed of sweet plum chutney on a thick slice of grilled white pain, topped with cress shoots.
    Chutney had god sized chunks of plum in, wasn't too sweet, nor too sour. Pain was grilled to the perfection. Green side salad was fresh and crisp.

Main course was Roast loin of pork stuffed stuffed with sage and nut, with caramelized ginger apple and thyme jus plus a large lightly roast potato. Side veg was roast carrots, broccoli and creamed mash
    Pork was very good, though not the best Ive had, stuffing and jus were new and tasty, veg was also very flavoursome, and fresh tasting - cooked to just the right point, colours very bright.

Couldn't fit a desert! But from the look of other diners deserts and expressions they were good.

Interior is light but not cold, bar is not much changed from Ceaser's, nice new drapes and lighting aded that breaks up the floor plan a bit, which is good as there was a touch of a small barn to the premises previously. The rippling water reflection lighting affect just inside the door is a nice touch. The tableware is top notch, but its a shame they seem to have skimped on the tables themselves, and half of the chairs in the place (wouldn't be out of place in a mid-morning sandwich and coffee place)

Service was very good, fast (nearly too fast for someone who had a very late brekky) the waitresses were all very happy and smiling - happy to engage properly with customers.

As I said the house white was good and the tap water bottle was also nice.

In Summary:
    All in all I was very happy I went, Just a little surprised by the furniture. The meal was very good and the price very reasonable (came to 23.45 total for the two courses and glass of house)

The amount of walk-ins while I was there was encouraging, as I hope the place has a good future ahead of it!

I would definitely recommend the place to friends.

I still miss Ceaser's though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Got a 'Sunday Special' in Chungs (formally Sakura). It's not a patch on the likes of Kings but it's extremely cheap, €8 for a take away starter, main course with rice or chips and a drink. There's loads in it, I still have some left over that I'm going to heat up for lunch. Would definitely choose Kings for quality food though.

Had the Blueberry Pancakes last week..

.. absolutely amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Went to Montmartre, Market Yard last weekend. Some of the best food I have ever had in Sligo. Not too bad price wise either. We had two starters, two mains, one desert and a half bottle of red wine €72. I had the confit of duct to start and the fillet of beef for main both of which were really good. Place was packed. Only negative was that they seemed a little short staffed, but this was only a small negative.

They're always short staffed when busy and when quiet the waiting staff can be a bit stand-offish or surly.
    This is from personal experience and from quite a few other customers of theirs, its the only thing negative to say about monte marte really though

• Advertisement

Am amazed to find out that place is still open.

Went past them numerous times in the Market Yard and it was in darkness.

They were closed for a very long time due to a bad kitchen fire, and are closed some odd days during the week as well, but they are open again about a year or so now, by the same owner I believe.

Despite the chance of slightly "off" service they are well worth checking out.

(They also close for a period of a couple weeks during the year for holidays, during the off season I think)
    [EDIT: The above parenthesized comment refers to the Jan break as explained by UrbanSea below]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

They also were closed for the month of January, they are every year.

It is without doubt the best food you will get in Sligo. I just prefer to eat elsewhere, more relaxed places with beer. But definitely no.1 for fine dining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I love Montmarte its lovely to have a continental style restaurant in Town were your not rushed into eating your meal.If you want a 3 course meal to be eaten in a hour go to a hotel.They really do need a better location though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ElizabethDante

can someone tell me, has chungs closed down? i've gone over that way a few times and its been dark everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I went to Clevery Mill in Castlebaldwin last night for the first time. It's a really lovely place. The food is a bit pricey for some of the main courses but they had a four course special for 24.95 which was fab. The rest of the family had steak served on a hot stone, so you more or less cook it yourself....it was all wonderful food though. Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

magnumlady wrote: »
    I went to Clevery Mill in Castlebaldwin last night for the first time. It's a really lovely place. The food is a bit pricey for some of the main courses but they had a four course special for 24.95 which was fab. The rest of the family had steak served on a hot stone, so you more or less cook it yourself....it was all wonderful food though. Very impressed.

Went there last month for dinner with friends, everyone had the steak bar me (I had the rack of lamb-can't say enough good things about it!!:)) The only thing I didn't like (& the others commented on) about the 'steak on a hot stone' was how the juices/oil spattered all over the table (including into my drink :() Moral of the story? Don't wear your lovely white dry-clean only top...

Swagman Bar Wine Street

Opening hours: A few weeks ago they told me they served food til 7. But yesterday they said they serve til 5.

Price: Very Reasonable. About €10 or less for a massive main course. €5.95 for a seafood chowder which was a meal in itself. Starters roughly €6-€7 (very big portions.) We got a single portion of chicken wings which was enough to feed three, easily.

Overall: Lovely pub grub. Reasonably priced. Lovely friendly and attentive staff. They do a pizza that is exactly like a Bistro Michelangelo but half the price - score!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Truley wrote: »
    Swagman Bar Wine Street

They do a pizza that is exactly like a Bistro Michelangelo but half the price - score!!!

I had the Aussie pizza there myself during the week! 'twas a feed and a half and definitely comparable to the Bistros! much cheaper too!

I had the Aussie pizza there myself during the week! 'twas a feed and a half and definitely comparable to the Bistros! much cheaper too!

Actually it's nearly better than the Bistro's. Firmer, slightly doughier base. I always liked the Bistro because of their toppings (especially Michelangelo) but was never mad on their bases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Restaurant: The silver apple

Myself and the OH went here sunday evening. I had the Lissadell Mussels for starters, 10 oz steak for mains and warm choclate nut brownie for desert.

The OH had soup, salmon and the choclate nut brownie for desert.

Overall: The food was very good certainly not your typical bar food, the mussels were excellent and had lovely flavour. I had the best steak in a long time with pepper sauce. I wasnt overly impressed with the desert but overall definately a place I would recommend on going to at least once.

4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bustler

We ate in Cafe Victor at he end of JFK the other week, its been a while since we went and I had forgotten how good it is! They do a big bowl of homemade soup, homemade bread and a piece of fruit for a fiver. Specials could be stew or tarragon chicken or lasagna but always good homemade food. Good coffee and homemade scones, muffins and buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bustler

Must say I rate the Silver Apple highly too. Had an early bird there at the start of the year and it was very good. I would describe it as French food, it's certainly not bar food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I had dinner with the OH at Cromleach lodge in Castlebaldwin lately. Overall very expensive and I wasnt overly impressed with the food given the price. Quite a nice setting though. Overall better places to eat out in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Tech3 wrote: »
    I had dinner with the OH at Cromleach lodge in Castlebaldwin lately. Overall very expensive and I wasnt overly impressed with the food given the price. Quite a nice setting though. Overall better places to eat out in Sligo.

the young staff that serve breakfast if you stay there leave a lot to be desired too. we asked for bowls to put cereal into and you'd swear we asked them to solve a difficult maths equation. the breakfast i have to say was really disappointing. i've had better in cheap chain hotels. the setting is lovely alright, but apart from that it's grossly over hyped in my opinion.

Has anybody been into the new Casa Del Mia on Tobergal lane?
    or have any other info about it?
    Have been by it once or twice since it opened and still not sure if they serve meals or are just a posh coffee shop!

Im guessing this may be what Dunlaffin has been dropping hints about?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Yeah, had a coffee and lintel soup there last week and a ciabata and coffee today, both times were very nice. Staff very friendly and the place is nice. Both times cost around €5.50. Looked at the wine menu today €18 upwards for a bottle, €5 upwards for a glass. The layout is a bit awkward with fixed tables seating two or the one long table which seems to seat around 18. No menu yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

wolf99 wrote: »
    Has anybody been into the new Casa Del Mia on Tobergal lane?
    or have any other info about it?
    Have been by it once or twice since it opened and still not sure if they serve meals or are just a posh coffee shop!

Im guessing this may be what Dunlaffin has been dropping hints about?

Was in it a couple of times around lunchtime. Cheapest Ciabattas in town and they're tasty too. Coffee comes in a great size cup and is very reasonable (unlike the Costa thieves across the street). Like Rocky I'm scratching my head at the layout, it's a small enough place but the big table down the middle of the floor halves the place. I do like the smaller "tables" by the window under the bookcases even if it does look like the one of those prison visiting hatches you see in the movies without the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I've found my new favourite cafe in Sligo. Chapters Coffee House beside Furey's pub.
    3 euro for soup, 4 euro for a huge sandwich, 4 euro for coffee and a book. Great selection of books upstairs. Free Wi-fi and great friendly service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Must check that out.

Does it do what the pub in Strandhill does. If you take the book home, you've to at least replace it with another one?

Advertisement