Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

dgt wrote: »
    Mine are that age and the rest... One was acting up recently :(

Thinking of putting standard bulbs back in. i can get a full kit again for 60 quid, but that's 60 quid i could drink :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Thinking of putting standard bulbs back in. i can get a full kit again for 60 quid, but that's 60 quid i could drink :P

Haven't a choice, projectors are useless on standard bulbs here! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

vectra wrote: »
    Could you not put them on a Lathe and turn them down until they were true again?

Don't tell me he has one of those too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Double din headunit going in tomorrow! :D
    Good clean too if it's not raining :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Jemmy wrote: »
    Double din headunit going in tomorrow! :D
    Good clean too if it's not raining :-/

I could also be putting in a new head unit. The same one that's there now, just the 6 cd changer version... :p

ST2 to ST3 conversion should hopefully be completed tomorrow. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Yet more commercial tyres.... Michelins this time :)
    Image1869.jpg

Routine clutch fitting
    Image1870.jpg

Going for a comedy ride height soon... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I ordered a service kit for my car. What it includes is an oil, fuel, air, pollen filter, spark plugs and leads and sump plug. That cost €110 and will have it by Tuesday. Just need some oil so that's another €30 for 5 litres of the stuff. That's a grand total of €140 which I think is cheap enough and will be doing it myself. Here's hoping for some dry days next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Hal1 wrote: »
    I ordered a service kit for my car. What it includes is an oil, fuel, air, pollen filter, spark plugs and leads and sump plug. That cost €110 and will have it by Tuesday. Just need some oil so that's another €30 for 5 litres of the stuff. That's a grand total of €140 which I think is cheap enough and will be doing it myself. Here's hoping for some dry days next week.

ordered one myself during the week. air, oil,pollen and diesel filters, 5L of oil and a sump bung for 70euro. all genuine stuff too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That was even cheaper than my stuff...Ah but the leads were needed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Quazzies_wheel

No pics, but I swapped over a couple of nice wheels onto the Corrado.

It's been a while since she seen any love, so it's long overdue!

• Advertisement

49 mpg is what i'm getting, thought it would be more tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fitted a new fuel filter housing to the Eventless today and Took a hammer and screwdriver to the exhaust head shield as it was rattling.

Was gonna wash it, then I thought, naah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I fitted 3000k Fog HID Kit today, an easy but time consuming job, I've only one bulb working since I got the car so I decided to get an ebay kit when I was changing them. I heard it can be tricky getting the fogs out due to the screws going bad.

The Kit (Ultra Small Ballasts):

img0152large.jpg

You are guaranteed to need the screw extractors on the MR2 fogs..if your screws come out without hassle, wget to your nearest newsagent and do the lotto! Along with the screw extractors you'll need a long drill bit as the chuck will hit off the bumper

img0274large.jpg

Drill the Screw - whack the extractor into a ratchet piece and tighten until it shifts - (try use a bigger ratchet piece and a nail to hold the screw extractor - I'd an awful time getting the extractor free from the piece).

Mine shifted ok - I'd the 4 out in about half an hour

img0281large.jpg

img0282large.jpg

img0283large.jpg

Check the polarity with a multimeter - looking at other write ups the wires were placed differently - its a 2 second job to check

img0286large.jpg

Drill the plastic cover with a hole saw - don't be tempted to drill it on the ground like I did! :) ...you'll end up wrecking the clips...mine was ok thank god. Once drilled insert the HIDs grommet into the plastic piece.

img0293large.jpg

Looks like I'm in the market for a new Fog lens! I filled the small hole with super glue for now and continued. I'll grab another one shortly.

img0295large.jpg

Mounting the ballasts probably took the longest out of everything as I had to raise the car, put down chocks, axle stands, etc. Once jacked up..cable tie the ballast to the loom of the Heahdlights and the fog light loom.

img0297large.jpg

After all that theres no point in putting in the OEM screws for the same thing to happen again. I stuck in some stainless steel hex screws..(same as the twosrus kit)

img0299large.jpg

End Results

Before:

img0279large.jpg

After:

img0301large.jpg

img0304large.jpg

Cup of cha time!

img0305large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

New adaptor for steering wheel controls for my newly installed double din headunit installed during the week, so i'll probably install that tomorrow and clean the interior too (depending on how lazy i'm feeling :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Mine got roasted around the track for a few laps... not by me though, I'll be scalding it on the 28th :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Mine got roasted around the track for a few laps... not by me though, I'll be scalding it on the 28th :D

Hope you washed it. Was manky looking yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Put a Lidl MP3/CD thingie into my gf's car, seems to work with an adapter etc. Got a fascia online too but the MP3 unit will only fit in the bottom half of the radio unit so that's no good! Bluetooth mic wire went in nice and neatly for a surprise. The Alfa doesn't need anything at the moment except 30L of petrol. Am planning my selling strategy atm.

Jumped the Corsa, it was dead as a dodo and I might have a buyer. Left it for hour and it wouldn't start again, so I left it to idle for half an hour. I'll check it again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Drive it instead of idling it. Cold weather probably hasnt helped the battery though.

Just change the battery or properly charge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

EPM wrote: »
    Hope you washed it. Was manky looking yesterday.

Mondello was a mess today, the motocross lads were out this week. Sure I've washed the car 5 times in the last 2 week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I fitted 3000k Fog HID Kit today, an easy but time consuming job, I've only one bulb working since I got the car so I decided to get an ebay kit when I was changing them. I heard it can be tricky getting the fogs out due to the screws going bad.

They look good. Are they actual fog kit or just 3k?

Same size ballasts as mine I'd say. Have you a link to where you bought them?

vectra wrote: »
    They look good. Are they actual fog kit or just 3k?

Same size ballasts as mine I'd say. Have you a link to where you bought them?

Just H3 HIDs.the shipping has gone up I think they cost me €25 delivered when I bought them 2 months ago.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Luminis-G4-Xenon-Conversion-Kit-H1-H3-H4-H7-H10-H11-9003-9006-slim-884-12000K-/270846234997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item84b9245fb6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Had a mad notion about a bit of DIY construction for the Shogun so, armed with an old tarp, some tent poles, tent pegs and guy rope I mocked up the below. Saggy as hell due to lack of tension, but allowed me to get measurements should I go ahead and actually make one :D

awning1.jpg

awning2.jpg

awning3.jpg

awning4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

why?!!

shblob wrote: »
    why?!!
    Because I can? :confused:

Why not? :confused:

Ever stopped at the side of a road, down on a beach with car access or parked up at an outdoor event and been uncomfortable eating your sammich in the blazing sun? Granted it might only appear 3 or 4 times a year, but a nice sheltered spot would be a welcome relief ;)

Also a lot faster to erect and fold than a tent.

And I was bored :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I passed up your place earlier but never looked..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I passed up your place earlier but never looked..
    Thank feck - would have been embarrassing :D

Top Dog wrote: »
    Thank feck - would have been embarrassing :D

Lol I could have called up with your neighbour corktina for a proper meet..

Why? So ye could both sit back and laugh at me faffing about with a manky old tarp? :D

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    Why? So ye could both sit back and laugh at me faffing about with a manky old tarp? :D

Not if I sat underneath it for the evening drinking beer..:p

Well I suppose there is that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

This evening I replaced one of my headlight bulbs after BOTH blew on the way home from mass.

This car is possessed by the DEVIL :mad:

The other will have to wait as I'm heading to Dublin airport early in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

johnos1984 wrote: »
    This evening I replaced one of my headlight bulbs after BOTH blew on the way home from mass.

This car is possessed by the DEVIL :mad:

The other will have to wait as I'm heading to Dublin airport early in the morning

That's what you get for going to mass!!

That's what you get for going to mass!!

I tried to explain that to my mother but she hit me with the bible and threw some holy water/acid on me

My fecking sticking caliper returned and started smoking the pads earlier, thankfully I was only a few miles away from the mechanics place, who was nice enough to take a look after hours.

No obvious reason as to why it's sticking, so the only obvious rust buildup on the piston was cleaned off as well as can be, so hopefully that's it sorted, or I'm looking at a new caliper.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Put a Lidl MP3/CD thingie into my gf's car, seems to work with an adapter etc. Got a fascia online too but the MP3 unit will only fit in the bottom half of the radio unit so that's no good! Bluetooth mic wire went in nice and neatly for a surprise. The Alfa doesn't need anything at the moment except 30L of petrol. Am planning my selling strategy atm.

Jumped the Corsa, it was dead as a dodo and I might have a buyer. Left it for hour and it wouldn't start again, so I left it to idle for half an hour. I'll check it again tomorrow.

You should be able to shift it..if the batteries ****ed, fly up to summerhill spares (behind halfords / lidl coolock). They will sell you a decent battery for €20 or so..

Confab wrote: »
    ....... The Alfa doesn't need anything at the moment except 30L of petrol. Am planning my selling strategy atm.............

Did you get the timing belt done? :)

RoverJames wrote: »

i-see-what-you-did-there.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RoverJames wrote: »

I was just wondering the same thing, it's gonna be a tough sell without that done..;)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Got a good bit done this weekend, bought the shadowline trim and replaced all the chrome around the windows. Also installed my angel eyes and gave the headlights a quick refurb.

b7cc5.jpg

Also got some carbon fibre centre caps:

494372985_o.jpg

Will take some good pics in the morning

I'm getting some carbon fibre cloth during the week to wrap all the old fart wooden trim :p

picture.php?albumid=1016&pictureid=6278

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

That car is coming along very nice conzy. How much was the exhaust jobby?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Exhaust was 185 euro, it took the best part of two hours and it looks totally stock which I like. Would highly recommend souhans they have done a lot of tasty cars over the years and the service was great, there's even a waiting room to drink tae and eat breakfast rolls!

I liked the old man wood trim Conzy...........I'm probably in the minority but I would have left the car alone as it was and kept it original...........as said I'm probably in the minority.

I'll have to see it again when I'm in better form :)

I liked the old man wood trim Conzy...........I'm probably in the minority but I would have left the car alone as it was and kept it original...........as said I'm probably in the minority.

In the minority you are lad, old man trim for old men :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

installed a new radio in the leon :) sounds great and has a usb slot whice is handy :) but it won't keep the stations will keep them till i pull out the key then when i start again its wiped :mad: anyone know how to help ? its an alba :/ bought it in argos :L

In the minority you are lad, old man trim for old men :p
    My car ownership history agrees with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭vectra

fanadman1 wrote: »
    installed a new radio in the leon :) sounds great and has a usb slot whice is handy :) but it won't keep the stations will keep them till i pull out the key then when i start again its wiped :mad: anyone know how to help ? its an alba :/ bought it in argos :L

You most likely have the power wires mixed up

Possibly one yellow and one red.
    One goes to permanent power for the memory ( holding stations and settings )
    the other goes to ignitiion so as when the key is turned off the headunit goes off as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

conzymaher wrote: »

Also got some carbon fibre centre caps:

494372985_o.jpg

Oh i like where you get them? Are they all the same size for the e46 wheels? I have carbon fibre badges on the car have always meant to get the wheels changed to match defo want to get it done now as i am hopefully getting the wheels refurbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Oh i like where you get them? Are they all the same size for the e46 wheels? I have carbon fibre badges on the car have always meant to get the wheels changed to match defo want to get it done now as i am hopefully getting the wheels refurbed.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/4-x-BMW-WHEEL-CENTRE-CAPS-BADGES-CARBON-FIBRE-68mm-/230735582366?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b8e9949e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I fitted the new adaptor for my double din unit, and now the steering wheel controls are working again :D
    I also connected the parking brake sensor wire so that the screen will now play videos/dvds. I refitted the fascia surround as it wasn't sitting correctly. I broke 2 of the clips off (on purpose!) and it fits much more flush now, and doesn't fall off when I take the face off the stereo either! I also gave the interior a quick hoover, it was in an awful state.

Next weekend, i'll be cleaning the whole car, it's in an awful state. I've never let a car i've owned get as dirty as this!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement