Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

i got the above, 6 month contract. phone price has since dropped to what i paid almost :D
    still im outta contract now in a month or so, at which point its prepay all the way..
    that three mobile is the best offer, but you are stuck on their official rom afaik unless you want roaming issues..
    emobile and meteor also do fairly compeditive offers. emobile have an unlimited 35 euro a month offer if you have an eircom account number for house phone, and have a very decent offer on the s3 at that price afaik.
    since you are on meteor already, they are both the same reception etc.. so its definately worth you taking a look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

E mobile are currently out of stock and meteors deal can't beat 'three'. Will see how things change in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just avoid Three. They are completely dire in so many areas.

Poor coverage outside of major cities, god-awful customer service and just piss weak overall imo.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    E mobile are currently out of stock and meteors deal can't beat 'three'. Will see how things change in the coming weeks.

maybe check their stores or around.. often if not available online it will be in stores...
    three got a bad rep, but if you are in a city i reckon you are grand. there was major problems with roaming on samsung phones in that if you are moving and phone loses signal it roams and uses vodafones 2g network (which is everywhere in ireland pretty much)
    after this it never switched back, and stayed on roaming on vodafones 2g where mobile data wouldnt enable etc.. just minor annoyances.
    their fix on their custom firmware then means it looks for 2g every so often so keeps switching from 2g to 3g and back and causes battery drain in the phone.
    putting a custom rom on the phone or whatever would also remove their fix i guess, so you would be back at step 1... and jellybean update wont be on their network for a while id guess..when it shud be out here in a few days on others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I switched to three about a year ago and switched to bill and got the s3 at the end of the summer there.

I hadn't noticed any signal drop although my house is a black spot for ALL signal even internal wifi so thought nothing of it.

I flashed it to Jelly Bean there last week and simple process and i dunno if its because of the removing of the signal switching above or improvments to ROM but battery is lasting longer.

Vodafone data works to though (well for me) if you turn on data roaming in your settings (in ICS i think it said in same country but this JB release just shows data roaming)

So far i've had a few issues with speeds but that seems to have been during a mast upgrade and i've had little or no issues since.

If you go three install JB yourself and you have no massive wait either for them to release

• Registered Users Posts: 21 blee23

Hi
    Anybody on here know when the s3 lte is going to be released in Ireland? Can't seem to find any info on dates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

blee23 wrote: »
    Hi
    Anybody on here know when the s3 lte is going to be released in Ireland? Can't seem to find any info on dates

We'd need LTE networks first, I reckon it will be a year or two, so it will be the GS4 or GS5 youll be after!

Yea I was thinking the same, my upgrade is a two year contract though so I was looking to future proof....don't want to wait till next year. Just wondering if I get the s3 tomorrow will the s3 lte be out next week. That would be annoying....but I suppose your right I can't see any carrier bringing it out until the network is there

blee23 wrote: »
    Yea I was thinking the same, my upgrade is a two year contract though so I was looking to future proof....don't want to wait till next year. Just wondering if I get the s3 tomorrow will the s3 lte be out next week. That would be annoying....but I suppose your right I can't see any carrier bringing it out until the network is there

No your safe in that regard, it will be along longer then that! This is Ireland remember.

• Advertisement

yeah lte is still far enough away that a 2 year contract (or longer) won't make a difference.

If you wanna futureproof just go with the s3 (international version that you get here) the specs on that are ott as they knew jelly bean was coming out after launch but didn't know what specs were needed so over estimated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

fionny wrote: »
    No your safe in that regard, it will be along longer then that! This is Ireland remember.

LOLZ

Yea I'm Definitely looking at the s3 - it's a fantastic phone....would love the lte version as I said before just to ensure future access but after doing some reading on the lte auctions and possible rollout dates over the last few days everbody seems to be pointing at end of 2013. Ireland's "Knowledge economy" at the forefront again......

Seriously forget about LTE 2013 might see launch in selected area's etc... but realistically knowing this country we could be talking 2015 by which time Japan and all the proper countries will have moved on to a better standard... LTE is also a MASSIVE battery drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Seriously forget about LTE 2013 might see launch in selected area's etc... but realistically knowing this country we could be talking 2015 by which time Japan and all the proper countries will have moved on to a better standard... LTE is also a MASSIVE battery drain.

So is 3G, we just had to get used to it, even 2015 seems like an early estimate considering how long it took 3G to be rolled out to the country side. Even today 3G outside major cities and towns is a funny topic.

i was over in london there recently actually and was chatting to someone who is working for sony on the possible future 5g. (what he said is a few companies are doing stuff, and they propose stuff and have to hit download target speeds etc, then its accepted by the internet people who accept it as a standard)

as for lte in ireland. there has been links posted to whats happening there. three and vodafone are gonna buy the rights to the spectrum, but its just being done all wrong or something in the country, low bandwidth, etc etc.. i dunno the technical stuff of it..
    apparently also its not much of a stepup on current 3g

HSPA+ data rates are capable of delivering 84Mbps downlink maximum and LTE is capable of providing more than 100Mbps downlink.
    the main benefit of LTE is its more reliable when it has lots of people connected simultaneously afaik.
    either way as above, it wont be here for 1-2 years, by which point as i was saying above, 5g technologies are already being developed, and you will be waiting for a phone which is 5g capable :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DaZuluforte

kaimera wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent waterproof case?

I see a few on amazon but no ratings for them.

You might want to check out this bunch at www.drygear.ie. They stock a waterproof phone case which fits my iphone5 perfectly. S3 should be no bother for it too. They have some waterproof headphones which you can stick into the case as well. Pretty savage for surfing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kenyard wrote: »
    i was over in london there recently actually and was chatting to someone who is working for sony on the possible future 5g. (what he said is a few companies are doing stuff, and they propose stuff and have to hit download target speeds etc, then its accepted by the internet people who accept it as a standard)

as for lte in ireland. there has been links posted to whats happening there. three and vodafone are gonna buy the rights to the spectrum, but its just being done all wrong or something in the country, low bandwidth, etc etc.. i dunno the technical stuff of it..
    apparently also its not much of a stepup on current 3g

HSPA+ data rates are capable of delivering 84Mbps downlink maximum and LTE is capable of providing more than 100Mbps downlink.
    the main benefit of LTE is its more reliable when it has lots of people connected simultaneously afaik.
    either way as above, it wont be here for 1-2 years, by which point as i was saying above, 5g technologies are already being developed, and you will be waiting for a phone which is 5g capable :P

This is one of the better posts explaining why Comreg is a joke and how 4G in Ireland will be even worse

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80517650&postcount=14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Can anyone recommend a good (reasonably priced) 32GB microsd for the S3?

Can anyone recommend a good (reasonably priced) 32GB microsd for the S3?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/sandisk-mobile-ultra-microsd
    sd-adapter-included
    32-gb---class-10---microsdhc-uhs-i-89F6.html?q=sandisk&src=16

for that price €23 you can't beat it..Sandisk 32gb and a Class 10 rating so perfect for HD etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Looking at the current offers I see Three are now charging €49 on top of the 24 month contract
    http://shop.three.ie/catalogue/pages/samsung-galaxy-SIII

My wife is looking to change in Nov so when do we expect to see Christmas offers coming out ?.
    What sort of packages do we expect the big players to offer ?.

• Advertisement

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Looking at the current offers I see Three are now charging €49 on top of the 24 month contract

My wife is looking to change in Nov so when do we expect to see Christmas offers coming out ?.

Prices towards Xmas usually go up because people need to buy stuff and just don't have a choice.

You can wait. Might not see anything decent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Have a back case but looking for a leather flip case. Saw This one on Amazon.

Are there any brick and mortar shops in Dublin that sell something like this or any other places online to get something similar.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Looking at the current I see Three are now charging €49 on top of the 24 month contract

I got mine from meteor for 150 euro on 12 month contract, 35 euro per month, cheapest I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Have a back case but looking for a leather flip case. Saw This one on Amazon.

Are there any brick and mortar shops in Dublin that sell something like this or any other places online to get something similar.

Thanks
    Be careful when buying the leather flip case that opens at the bottom i got one and found it kept pushing in the home button when closed.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    I got mine from meteor for 150 euro on 12 month contract, 35 euro per month, cheapest I found.

sounds like avery good offer there tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Chibs wrote: »
    Be careful when buying the leather flip case that opens at the bottom i got one and found it kept pushing in the home button when closed.

Anyone else have same problem

Other Cases I am looking at

Samsung Flip Case

Wallet Case

Pouch

Any Views?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Samsung Flip Case

Wallet Case

Pouch

Any Views?

I have this pouch. A bit pricey but very good quality and doesn't add to the bulk of the phone. The pouch you linked looks ok for the money.

Any one bought an extended battery they could recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Samsung Flip Case

Wallet Case

Pouch

Any Views?

Lovely case

http://ie.mobilefun.com/35901-krusell-slim-cover-for-samsung-galaxy-s3---black.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hi all, i am looking for a car holder/charger for the Samsung S3 that is not window sucker based....is it possible to get a holder that stems from the charger. I dont want it up high, more down low where the charger is/gear stick is...any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Look at brodit holders. You can get a mount specific to your car and a holder specific to your phone. They usually have two locations per car, either near the air vent or down by the gearstick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I keep getting "samsung session ended" message on my SGS3 ....what do I need to do to get rid off......its annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I keep getting "samsung session ended" message on my SGS3 ....what do I need to do to get rid off......its annoying.

Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> [Samsung account] -> Remove Account

If you want the account after, just re-add it, though unless you actually use Samsung online services you probably don't need it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

cython wrote: »
    Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> [Samsung account] -> Remove Account

If you want the account after, just re-add it, though unless you actually use Samsung online services you probably don't need it

thanks, it was annoying......:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know how much it roughly costs to get a screen replaced on the S3 in Dublin? I dropped mine earlier and the screen is completely smashed, the screen is on but the touch isn't responsive. I can retrieve files via my laptop so it appears to just be the screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngst9m9ucfq40va/DSC00535.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭leemaree

Nephew wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much it roughly costs to get a screen replaced on the S3 in Dublin? I dropped mine earlier and the screen is completely smashed, the screen is on but the touch isn't responsive. I can retrieve files via my laptop so it appears to just be the screen.

I think this crowd does them - star mobile blanchardstown. Ring to make sure on 01 8243773

Thanks, Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭leemaree

Nephew wrote: »

Or u can try this croud as well

http://www.a1computers.ie/index.php/tech-fix-computer-repair-it-tech-dublin-wicklow/fix-i-phone-iphone-fone-android-smartphone-ipad-cellphone-mobile

Thanks again, Lee.

Can anyone comment on the quality of replacement S3 screens from donedeal like this guy http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/phones/3757813 and places like Fonemenders in Sandyford, are they the same quality and resolution as the official Samsung screen?

• Advertisement

the screen id guess is gonna be the official one as its a specific build so it should be identical. also im guessing the phone would only work on a 720p screen or there would be issues.
    due to the way the phone screen is made is why it wont work after its cracked afaik. the gorilla glass is glued to the screen itself so if its cracked it usually messes it up.
    fonemenders have gotten a lot of good reviews and i think all the main providers even use them.
    costs will be circa 100 euro..possibly a bit more

kenyard wrote: »
    fonemenders have gotten a lot of good reviews and i think all the main providers even use them.

LOL? I think its the complete opposite...

had mine replaced at fonemenders in Limerick and very happy with it..paid €180 for the 1hour express service.

However if you're lucky to be living in dublin near Malahide there's a guy on adverts who's doing a great job replacing these for €160 i think..don't know the guy but he's getting great feedback.

http://www.adverts.ie/repair-services/samsung-galaxy-s1-i9000-s1-i9001-s2-i9100-quick-lcd-repair-genuine/1103250?notification=14586fb4704faf4bd06bf1044e1af4e7-1349772421#comment_10388817

Any one else getting the annoying proxy warning on Meteor network or is just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I havent been using any screen protectors or pouches, I dont like the look of any of the pouches, today I noticed a tiny little scratch on the screen, so im on the look out for the best screen protector ? what does everyone use ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Will the jellybean upgrade come up automatically on my phone or do i have to download through my computer?

• Advertisement

you might get a notification saying update available and i think its OTA so i don't think you need to hook it up to a PC unless you want to flash it yourself before release

swedish jellybean has been released now, just an updated version of the polish one i guess. i flashed it and hafnt noticed any difference.
    version DLIH.
    available on xda forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,202 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

anyone looking for a free case or two check this out, surprisingly good, just pay postage

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81304240#post81304240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've the three stock rom and got an update notification this morning. Seems to be the Jellybean update. Currently waiting for it to install.

Update is for Android 4.1.1 Build JRO03C.I9300XXDLJ1 :)

Bloody hell, this is taking a while to get the Jellybean update, im THIS close to going down the ROM road again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement