Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cowboy Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

salonfire wrote: »
    Binmen are also public servants - should they get free perks as well?

What with the sh*t they handle you wouldn't mind if one got free transport and you had to pay the full whack?

Are you actually comparing the work of a binman to the work of a Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Are you actually comparing the work of a binman to the work of a Garda?

Its a job. Same as being a garda. Its their job. They are aware of what it involves when they sign up. And are paid accordingly

salonfire wrote: »
    Its a job. Same as being a garda. Its their job. They are aware of what it involves when they sign up. And are paid accordingly

Binmen are also known to accept extra items for the rubbish truck if you slip them a tenner, it is part of every job. Can you say that you have never gotten a bonus/perk from work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Beau x1 wrote: »
    You're perfectly right, but you have to comprehend; this isn't a perfect world where the gardaí do as they should - it is common in human nature to show favouritism like that. Hence I indicate the fact that Macari's cannot be blamed for such acts.

Yes I realise it is human nature. Macari's are not to blame. My point is that gardai should be discouraged from accepting gifts in the same way as councillors and TDs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hold on a second.

The OP is in Australia.

This information could be either bullshít from his friend or second hand information from another friend.

I'm not saying he is lying, but there is a chance this information could be false.

I have a couple of friends who are cops and I can tell you now that they do not get into nightclubs free.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    Hold on a second.

The OP is in Australia.

This information could be either bullshít from his friend or second hand information from another friend.

I'm not saying he is lying, but there is a chance this information could be false.

I have a couple of friends who are cops and I can tell you now that they do not get into nightclubs free.

Yeh but this is boards, we can have a fine long argument based on any unreliable source there is. Anecdotal evidence - Is there any other kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭tritium

See here's the thing. I know of at least one acquaintance who had the sh**e kicked out of them by guards in a city centre station because they asked a bouncer why they were refused entry to a nightclub. No trouble from them, no violent or criminal behaviour, just that the bouncer called over a couple of guards he knew and they 'ahem' dealt with the situation as they saw fit.

If members of the gardai are receiving perks from nightclubs and so forth this is a problem because those gardai at least have the possibility of being biased in how they do their job. This is not like other jobs people, this a job that has to be delivered impartially. As much as we might cheer when they collar some scumbag, theres a very fine line they have to stay on the right side of.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hold on a second.

The OP is in Australia.

As a friend of the OP and the subject, it's certainly not false. Every word is true and I could say more but won't.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    As a friend of the OP and the subject, it's certainly not false. Every word is true and I could say more but won't.
    Fair enough.
    I still don't believe every word of it though.

Fair enough.
    I still don't believe every word of it though.

Which bits of it in particular?

• Advertisement

Which bits of it in particular?
    Spar down from the station give him and his buddies free coffee in exchange for extra vigilence, he never pays into a nightclub, he can park his car in Dublin Castle all day to do his shopping and only today I've been informed he is on his way to Limerick by train with his buddies on the piss. Did he pay for the ticket? Did he f*ck. Quick badge flash and he's off.

The emboldened bits.

Spar down from the station give him and his buddies free coffee in exchange for extra vigilence, he never pays into a nightclub, he can park his car in Dublin Castle all day to do his shopping and only today I've been informed he is on his way to Limerick by train with his buddies on the piss. Did he pay for the ticket? Did he f*ck. Quick badge flash and he's off.

The emboldened bits.

He doesn't really head to nightclubs that often any more but he definitely never pays into Coppers and has gotten in free elsewhere. I'm sure he has paid into many places though.

The free coffee and the train part are 100% true, I give you my word on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

gaurds are never really off duty, if something kicks off in a nightclub and they flashed the badge on entry then they have to intervene

i have a few friends that are guards and there are perks but the shlt they have to deal with, so what if they get a few free cups of tae and breakfast rolls!

ooh and guess where all that drink they confiscate goes?!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

brim4brim wrote: »
    When they pick on someone that has committed a small crime to make themselves feel like big men they are no more than thugs.

When they won't go after the bigger criminals they are not doing the job we pay them to do and encourage more people to become violent criminals, drug dealers etc...

Where do you get the insane notion that Gardaí are not targetting serious criminals? Do you read the papers? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

i can confirm that what the op said is true, my friends a guard most of the time he pays in but if we ever get the aul 'not tonight lads' or 'sorry were full' he flashes the badge ad asks is there anythin they can do which gets us in maybe not for free but at least in and he would sometimes get in for free depending on the night...

also i have worked in elvery sports and leisureplex as a kid and in both cases discounts were given to gaurds i dont begrudge them it at all in the case of leisureplex any time it kicked off at night they were always there in a flash!!

everyjob has perks and thats the joy of been a guard it never even crossed my mind to be illegal to be honest i still wouldnt do it for all the tea in china....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lennox1

I know many Gardai who:
    never try to get into clubs free by 'flashing the badge',never accept free cups of coffee or any other food,never travel for free on public transport,never use or abuse their position.In fact,nobody would ever know they were a Garda unless they were in uniform and on duty.I also know people in the private sector who expect and get discounted furniture and other goods and services from retailers,and who,at Christmas,receive lots of alcohol and other expensive gifts.
    The difference is that I don't know any people in the private sector who never accept free or discounted goods or services from other businesses.I'm sure there are some but I don't know any.
    Not all Gardai use or abuse their position just as I'm sure not all people working in the private sector do either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hold on a second.

The OP is in Australia.

Every one of the incidents I described I have witnessed for myself except obviously yesterday's trip to Limerick. I assure you there's no bs.

Everyone knows that coppers don't pay into Coppers. They go in upstairs for free. Even student guards get in with their ID. I've witnessed it in other clubs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

It's worse in America. Some states, they never pay for anything! Food, drink, gas e.t.c
    Like fair play, it comes with the perks of protecting us:D

I think i am going to enrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh, is someone feeling left out because they didn't get free coffee?

Look, the majority of Gardai DO NOT accept perks, it's a fact. There are those in teh force who are so high and mighty that they think that they can do what they want and should get what they want. I guarantee, if you watched these places for a while, it's always the saem Gardai going in there.

Some places give free coffee or tea, but thats because they agreed to do this to have Gardai presence there, as it's the best deterrence for criminals.

Granted, Gardai should not use their badges to get into palces, but Copperface Jacks is basically a Garda nightclub, so you wouldn't blame them there.

I guarantee if you took the **** they take and do the ****e they do, you wouldn't mind the odd perk here and there. The pay is ok, but alot of that is taken out for numerous different things they "have to be" members of. The overtime is great, but you need to do alot of it to see any significant extra bit in the wages, and if you do alot of overtime, you have no social life...

Oh, is someone feeling left out because they didn't get free coffee?

Nope I don't like coffee.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that if a cop tried to do any of this stuff in America, they'd be in some serious sh1t. So, why is it different here?

I'm pretty sure that if a cop tried to do any of this stuff in America, they'd be in some serious sh1t. So, why is it different here?

You jokin? They do it all the time! It's the same worldwide! Thing is though, in America something does get done about it. Fook all happens here, because no-one reports it, be it businesses not wanting to be on the bad side of the Gardai for obvious purposes, or individuals afraid of being targeted by these same, idiotic Gardai!!! But the majority of the Gardai would not be bothered by people/businesses complaining these "rogue" Gardai, as they all don't like to be tarnished with the same bad brush, as there are thousands of honest Gardai out there!

Tea then Xavi? ;)

You jokin? They do it all the time! It's the same worldwide! Thing is though, in America something does get done about it. Fook all happens here, because no-one reports it, be it businesses not wanting to be on the bad side of the Gardai for obvious purposes, or individuals afraid of being targeted by these same, idiotic Gardai!!! But the majority of the Gardai would not be bothered by people/businesses complaining these "rogue" Gardai, as they all don't like to be tarnished with the same bad brush, as there are thousands of honest Gardai out there!

Tea then Xavi? ;)

Thats what I meant, if they get caught out, there would be the serious sh1t.

Oh right, my bad. The same would happen here. A mate of mine is a student Garda and they only got a speech about it the other day from a head guy, but it's because Eire isn't a complaining nation (by complaining, i mean actually doing something about it, God knows we give out enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just stay asleep in ethics class in Templemore and then you can do what you want. Again, if you've evidence, hand it in to the Garda Ombudsman, if not your claims are unsubstantiated hearsay. They do a job, you do a job, there are perks in everything.

Oh and lol at the person that reported this thread to the Garda Ombudsman. G'wan the vigilantes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

He doesn't really head to nightclubs that often any more but he definitely never pays into Coppers and has gotten in free elsewhere. I'm sure he has paid into many places though.

The free coffee and the train part are 100% true, I give you my word on that.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Everyone knows that coppers don't pay into Coppers. They go in upstairs for free. Even student guards get in with their ID. I've witnessed it in other clubs too.

Afaik, Coppers is owned by an ex-guard and the policy is to let guards in for free. If a guard goes flashing his badge to get into any other nightclub, he's asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

colliegG wrote: »
    Yeah the guards are disgusting with all their 'perks' of getting into nightclubs free etc.

Not like insurance workers with their cheap insurance.
    Or bank workers with their preferential loans.
    Or shop workers with their store discounts.
    Or assorted civil servants with their free parking, subsidised canteens etc.
    Or bar workers with their late pints after work.
    Or anyone with flexi time.
    Or teachers with their half days.

I could go on.

You know cops can get their stab proof vest replaced, just like that, when it gets splashed with bodily fluids. It's a disgraceful waste of resources really!

Point is every job has perks.

Hold on a second...Most, if not all, of these are company policy that are clearly stated when you start your job. And things such as flexi time, half days for teachers, free parking etc are a part of your contract that you sign. I don't believe it's in the Garda contract to get free burgers out of Macari...

Tea then Xavi? ;)

Milk, no sugar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭big_show

had standing tcikets for the police back in october, mate flashed the badge, golden circle baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Xavi6 wrote: »
    ...straight out of the sty...

This gave me the biggest AH laugh of the year.

Advertisement