Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Music-All information provided here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They matching Spotify prices, which are based on whatever the labels think they can get the local population to pay. Which in Asia means less than 3 euro a month.

Meanwhile, the indie labels aren’t happy about the 3 month free trial. Many may refuse to participate or not release new albums until its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They matching Spotify prices, which are based on whatever the labels think they can get the local population to pay. Which in Asia means less than 3 euro a month.

Meanwhile, the indie labels aren’t happy about the 3 month free trial. Many may refuse to participate or not release new albums until its over.

How would that work? Surely the 3 months start when you sign up for it is there an overall 3 month trial from launch?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

murpho999 wrote: »
    How would that work? Surely the 3 months start when you sign up for it is there an overall 3 month trail from launch?

Not sure actually. I just assumed it was from launch. Otherwise it would be pretty easy to create a new Apple ID and get another 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

As an artist myself, neither will I. Short term pain with hopefully long term gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

Radio tab appeared there this morning, can't listen to anything yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

I have an american itunes account running 8.4 beta. I have had access to iTunes radio since launch a few years ago.

Yesterday when I launched the music app I was asked if i wanted my 3 month trial. I pressed yes. Selected 1 user. App crashed. Cant seem to access that option again. Nothing seems to have changed. I do however have the Beats 1 station ''coming soon'' under the radio tab. Anyone seeing anything different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yeah, I was asked the other day if I wanted the trial. UK account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

Apple have reversed their decision not to pay artist during the trial period.

News comes a day after Taylor Swift's open letter to Apple criticising the original plan.

• Advertisement

I’ve a newfound respect for Taylor Swift. That letter was a brilliant example of a public figure bringing a big corporation to heel. Especially compared to Anton Newcombe’s misinformed and barely literate Twitter rant a few days earlier. Swift praised Apple as a company while expressing disappointment in their decision, shaming them into backing down, all under the guise of her selfless concern for struggling indie artists everywhere. Apple had no choice but to throw up their hands and offer mea culpa. Smart girl.

Of course, it remains to be seen how much Apple will be paying artists per stream. Obviously not as much as they will get through revenue sharing post-trial, but something is better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Hopefully she gets onto them about their ssd prices next ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I can't help but feel that Apple Music will eventually finish off Spotify.

Spotify are still losing money which Apple could afford to lose if they offset it against a bump in hardware sales.

It'll be very interesting to see how many people hold onto the their subs once the 3 month trial ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I can't help but feel that Apple Music will eventually finish off Spotify.

Spotify are still losing money which Apple could afford to lose if they offset it against a bump in hardware sales.

It'll be very interesting to see how many people hold onto the their subs once the 3 month trial ends.

It will be available for Android so I'm not sure if Apple Music expenditure could be offset against hardware sales.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It will be available for Android so I'm not sure if Apple Music expenditure could be offset against hardware sales.

The fact is if a lot of current iOS Spotify customers jump ship to Apple Music that it will be very damaging for them.

Also Apple are not introducing this service with the view to the expenditure leading solely to more hardware sales. They would view the expenditure as a capital investment in the Apple Music and it will return a profit by itself.

In the long-term, Spotify is vulnerable for the same reason Dropbox is. Apple Music isn’t a service for Apple, it’s just a feature of their enormously profitable hardware. They don’t need to profit from it. Like the iTunes and App Stores, it only needs to break even, which given there’s no free tier, I'm sure it will.

Spotify’s advantage is that they’ve more experience at this than Apple, who have proven themselves somewhat weak at delivering reliable internet services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don't see this as a way for Apple to make more hardware sales. I think this is a standalone service they intend to make money from. That fact that they've released plans for an Android apps shows that this is something that will stand on its own two feet.

It's obviously the trying to catch up and ensure iTunes doesn't lose its dominance but at the same time I see this as a money making service as opposed to the normal hardware shifting services they sell.

The fact is if a lot of current iOS Spotify customers jump ship to Apple Music that it will be very damaging for them.

Also Apple are not introducing this service with the view to the expenditure leading solely to more hardware sales. They would view the expenditure as a capital investment in the Apple Music and it will return a profit by itself.

You're directing this at the wrong person. I was merely stating that Apple Music isn't something that would necessarily cause an increase in hardware sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I think in the long-term it will. Subscribing to Apple Music only furthers your buy-in to Apples eco-system. The more you rely on Apple for services, the more you buy their hardware. Apple has failed in this so far, evident by the amount of people who have an "Unused" or "Crap Apple Apps" folder. They dont yet know how to services, but if they do, and I suspect Apple Music will play a large role in that, it could well be responsible for a lot of hardware sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

What does everyone think about Taylor Swift making a stand against the lack of royalties for artists for three months? I think she was completely right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

^^. Was mentioned previous page.

It was very eloquent well constructed letter. She's moved up a notch in my books for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

The figure of 100 million subscribers has been mentioned. Probably a number an analyst pulled out of their rear but lets go with that. It would be about 5 times the number of current Spotify paying subscribers.

To keep things simple, and because I'm lazy, let's say the average subscription is $10 per month. That's forgetting about regional discounts, eg. low income countries like India and family plans.

So we have 100 millions subscribers paying 1 billion a month between them. Apple are rumoured to pay 71-72% in licence fees. Add another few cents for admin, bandwidth etc. and say 75% so Apple get 25%.

So thats 250 million a month for Apple, or 3 billion annually. Not to be sneezed at but Apple should something in the region of $225-230 billion revenue this year so it's just over 1%. That makes this very much an ecosystem lock-in play to sell more iPhones and good luck to them.

Offering the service on Android also gives them the opportunity to give Android users into the Apple world and also makes it easy for them if they switch to iOS. Their music account just transfers over. Another side benefit of including Android might be helping them avoid any antitrust type accusations like they ran into on iBooks.

Edit: I forgot to take VAT out so that's even less cash for Apple

Apple Music is now showing as coming soon on the Irish Apple site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

nokia211 wrote: »
    What does everyone think about Taylor Swift making a stand against the lack of royalties for artists for three months? I think she was completely right.

Yep, it's like a new music venue throwing an opening night event by giving away free tickets to the public and yet not paying the bands who play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Says full access to the apple music library :eek:

ec18 wrote: »

Yeah, but Apple Music library doesn’t equal iTunes Store library. The iTunes Store has over 40 million songs, where as it seems Apple Music will have about 30 million. A lot of artists won’t sign up to streaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

nokia211 wrote: »

Some photographer is now accusing her being a hypocrite for the way she handles the rights to her photographs at concerts.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-33232244

ec18 wrote: »

That's hardly a surprise is it?

So much for your man who "emailed apple" and said it would be two weeks later.

Not sure why anyone believed him. Nokia3310 or whatever he calls himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

That's hardly a surprise is it?

it was a bad interpretation on my part, i took that to mean the iTunes Library

Advertisement