Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Bards

Wouldn't you think TII would list the nearest service station first and the farthest one last....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Why are TII listing 'off-line' services?

There's a brown services sign on the M8 which I followed recently. I was delighted to find that the 'services facility' was several Km from the motorway.....and CLOSED! Granted, it was after 9pm on a Friday night, but I didn't appreciate the wild goose chase!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

blindsider wrote: »

There's a brown services sign on the M8 which I followed recently. I was delighted to find that the 'services facility' was several Km from the motorway.....and CLOSED! Granted, it was after 9pm on a Friday night, but I didn't appreciate the wild goose chase!

I believe it is a quid pro quo for the removal of those trailers in fields advertising the services.

I think it is valuable information for motorists and it is right that the info is displayed, particularly where there has been such a lack of official services.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

blindsider wrote: »

The M8 ones are technically "offline" in that you have to travel on a few metres of non-motorway road to get to them, but they're all directly adjacent to the motorway junctions and offer a good range of facilities. They're as good as the online services, as far as I can see. I don't know what facilities you could get at the Castlebellingham services (for example) that you can't get at the Cashel or Durrow services. I'm not sure about opening hours but I've never seen any of the M8 services closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Bards wrote:
    Wouldn't you think TII would list the nearest service station first and the farthest one last....

The signs are laid out as per the Traffic Signs Manual. All Advance Directional signage has the furthest (Terminal) destination at the top, and the closest at the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

The M8 ones are technically "offline" in that you have to travel on a few metres of non-motorway road to get to them, but they're all directly adjacent to the motorway junctions and offer a good range of facilities. They're as good as the online services, as far as I can see. I don't know what facilities you could get at the Castlebellingham services (for example) that you can't get at the Cashel or Durrow services. I'm not sure about opening hours but I've never seen any of the M8 services closed.

I have no problem with travelling a few metres, or even a bit more. It's the services signs that direct you a couple of km away that are the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

radharc wrote: »
    Did they give a date for the other Services (Kilcullen and Athlone)?
    I didn't ask about them, sorry. I asked solely about Gorey.

I'm not sure about opening hours but I've never seen any of the M8 services closed.
    I'd hope that services on those signs are 24 hour, with adequate toilet facilities and parking spaces for HGVs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I don't care if it's Arklow, Gorey, or even Inch so long as they open the bloody thing soon. Feck all decent chances for a coffee going from Dublin to Wexford.

19th March is latest opening date.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

secman wrote: »
    19th March is latest opening date.

Do you have a source?

• Advertisement

From today's Wexford People. It seems they don't want to open this much before the Oylegate - Gorey M11 section opens

PLANS are on track to open the M11 service station in the second quarter of the year.

Last Friday Sean O’Neill, Director of Corporate Communications at Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) confirmed that the Ballyellen service station - on the M11 outside of Gorey remains on track to open in the second quarter of this year.

Circle K will operate the service station after a protracted tender process and the company began kitting out the building in September 2018 and a recruitment drive began in November 2018 with staff being told the service station would be open before the end of the year.

However this never came to pass and the current proposed opening date is during the second quarter of this year with April being mooted as a possible date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

There’s good progress being made on the Athlone MSA - the steel structure is up and the block work/concrete is in progress.

Sorry, no pictures, but I was driving past at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

serfboard wrote: »
    There’s good progress being made on the Athlone MSA - the steel structure is up and the block work/concrete is in progress.

Sorry, no pictures, but I was driving past at the time!

Word is they opened the access road last week due to an RTA. Wasn't by it but one of the checkpoint dodger pages said so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

My word, they are very lackadaisical about opening the Gorey MSA, considering how long it's taken.

Almost as if....they're not particularly competent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

The structure of the main building seems to have gone up over the last few days at the Kilcullen MSA, nice to see a bit of progress there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

spacetweek wrote: »
    My word, they are very lackadaisical about opening the Gorey MSA, considering how long it's taken.

The road into it was open today,with a sign 'construction traffic only'
    So something is going on
    Pity it's going to have a McDonalds
    It's only 3 miles from the one in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

In fact, I think it's just over 4 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The road into it was open today,with a sign 'construction traffic only'
    So something is going on
    Pity it's going to have a McDonalds
    It's only 3 miles from the one in Arklow

Has it been confirmed that it's McDonalds that will be the restaurant operator for Gorey MSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭blackwhite

ongarboy wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed that it's McDonalds that will be the restaurant operator for Gorey MSA?

McDonalds are currently the exclusive partner with Circle K in Ireland for these type of projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

sidcon wrote: »

Sounds good a copy and paste of their press announcement. Who wants to spin the wheel?

Circle K Grand Opening at Gorey M11. The largest Circle K in Europe!
    Fuel offer finishes at 7pm on Thursday 28th March 2019 at Circle K Gorey M11, motorists can fuel up with miles for 10c less per litre.

In addition to the fuel offer, the following in store offers will also be available at Circle K Gorey M11 on Thursday 28th March only:
    • Spinning wheel competitions
    • €2 Real Hot Dogs
    • 50% off any purchase from the Circle K deli range
    • Free pastry with any purchase of Simply Great Coffee
    ..and other surprises on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    Sounds good a copy and paste of their press announcement. Who wants to spin the wheel?

Circle K Grand Opening at Gorey M11. The largest Circle K in Europe!
    Fuel offer finishes at 7pm on Thursday 28th March 2019 at Circle K Gorey M11, motorists can fuel up with miles for 10c less per litre.

In addition to the fuel offer, the following in store offers will also be available at Circle K Gorey M11 on Thursday 28th March only:
    • Spinning wheel competitions
    • €2 Real Hot Dogs
    • 50% off any purchase from the Circle K deli range
    • Free pastry with any purchase of Simply Great Coffee
    ..and other surprises on the day

Many car Chargers?

NedNew2 wrote: »
    In fact, I think it's just over 4 km.

Its known as the Gorey motorway service centre,yet its nearer to Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Its known as the Gorey motorway service centre,yet its nearer to Arklow

It's actually closest to Inch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Still being frantically worked on, McDonald's won't be open until a later date, they do their own shopfitting and install, not part of the current fitout package.

It's Ballyellin, as per OSI maps. It doesn't matter, once everyone knows what Gorey MSA refers to.

gy9Dnii.jpg
    https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/gorey/kilgorman/ballylarkin/ballyellin/

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Email received this morning 'inviting' me to the opening of the Circle K Gorey N11 on the 28th March

Email received this morning 'inviting' me to the opening of the Circle K Gorey N11 on the 28th March

I clicked on the link expecting to read more on Gorey
    Instead you get a landing page thanking you for going on their mailing list
    Sneaky
    I've unsubscribed now

• Advertisement

It's Ballyellin, as per OSI maps. It doesn't matter, once everyone knows what Gorey MSA refers to.

gy9Dnii.jpg
    https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/gorey/kilgorman/ballylarkin/ballyellin/

Ballyyellin Inch gorey co wexford
    Ballyyellin is about a kilometre north of Inch
    It's the Gorey MSA because it's the Gorey by pass and its address is Gorey co wexford
    Arklow town boundary is probably about 2kms or a bit more from the co wexford border

Advertisement