Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well my retro related iPad/iPhone app got rejected by Apple so it wont be in the app store for xmas :(

No surprise really, it's an awful mess at the moment, don't know why I even submitted it.

Note to self, must code better after xmas or get someone who will do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oh dear...
    Billy-Mitchell-tat1-361x480.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Went to preorder a Retrode 2 on StoneageGamer and after shipping it comes to $99! I really want one, but that's €75. Which seems a bit much for what it is.

As a comparison, the Snes handheld is for preorder too and it's cheaper.

Bah, god damn it, I wish I didn't see that Snes handheld on the site. Want one too now.

After postage, the two of them come to €150.

Seems like a lot for a home made device which I'm only going to use to dump some games and a (fancy) clone.

But then at the same time, both do look like really great devices.

I r conflicted.

Maybe I'm missing the point but I can't see why someone would buy that retrode thing, not at that price anyway. If you wanted to play Snes or MD games on a pc/laptop then why not just stick with an emulator and some sort of pad - why bother with the extra hassle of hooking up another device and digging out carts to do the same thing? Or just buy the proper consoles and use as they were intended. Is there a need to dump roms if you can download them? The only benefit I can see that you can backup old save games you might still have but is anyone that bothered about ancient saves?

The Supaboy is a bit more promising but I'd want to wait and see what sort of reviews the device gets, whether the build quality is up to scratch after prolonged use. Would be sweet to have a Snes equivalent of the Nomad though, once it's a quality product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well my retro related iPad/iPhone app got rejected by Apple so it wont be in the app store for xmas :(

No surprise really, it's an awful mess at the moment, don't know why I even submitted it.

Note to self, must code better after xmas or get someone who will do it for me.

Awh no! What kind of app was it as a matter of interest?
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing the point but I can't see why someone would buy that retrode thing, not at that price anyway. If you wanted to play Snes or MD games on a pc/laptop then why not just stick with an emulator and some sort of pad - why bother with the extra hassle of hooking up another device and digging out carts to do the same thing? Or just buy the proper consoles and use as they were intended. Is there a need to dump roms if you can download them? The only benefit I can see that you can backup old save games you might still have but is anyone that bothered about ancient saves?

The Supaboy is a bit more promising but I'd want to wait and see what sort of reviews the device gets, whether the build quality is up to scratch after prolonged use. Would be sweet to have a Snes equivalent of the Nomad though, once it's a quality product.

Ah, the ONLY reason I want a Retrode is for dumping betas/protos. I can dump Snes games, but have no way of dumping Megadrive ones. Been trying to get a Magic Drive for the Megadrive now for quite some time, but they're super rare.

I'd like to go down that proto road a bit further, but am reluctant to until I can back things up!

I've looked at some reviews of Supaboy prototypes, and it seems to be pretty well made. You're right about waiting though.

I think one of the first things I'd have to do with that is open it up and replace the buttons with PAL/Jap coloured ones. The purple just looks wrong!

Ah, the ONLY reason I want a Retrode is for dumping betas/protos. I can dump Snes games, but have no way of dumping Megadrive ones. Been trying to get a Magic Drive for the Megadrive now for quite some time, but they're super rare.

Ah yes good point, you have a Sonic proto don't you.
    I've looked at some reviews of Supaboy prototypes, and it seems to be pretty well made. You're right about waiting though.

I think one of the first things I'd have to do with that is open it up and replace the buttons with PAL/Jap coloured ones. The purple just looks wrong!

Lol at the colours. You're not a fan of the square edges on the US carts either I remember.

For anyone that bought that Humble Bundle 4, the gifts keep coming. First it was all the soundtracks and now some more free games: VVVVVV, Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, And Yet It Moves and Hammerfight. Pretty nice that.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah yes good point, you have a Sonic proto don't you.

The Sonic cart seems to be the same as dumped ones. I'm more interested in dumping the Daze Before Christmas and Zero Tolerance carts. The Zero Tolerance especially seeing as it's completely undumped, radically different to the final version and probably of historical importance seeing as it's one of the first proper FPS console games.
    Lol at the colours. You're not a fan of the square edges on the US carts either I remember. .

Heh, the square NTSC carts are one thing, but the colours of the Snes pad buttons are VERY important to me. I don't know why. They just are. There's something about them that sums up the console for me. Odd comment, I know. But when I see an American pad it just doesn't look right.
    For anyone that bought that Humble Bundle 4, the gifts keep coming. First it was all the soundtracks and now some more free games: VVVVVV, Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, And Yet It Moves and Hammerfight. Pretty nice that.

That's quite a deal. I still haven't given VVVVVV a go yet, it's been on my to play list for ages.

Have you played Voxatron at all yet?

Awh no! What kind of app was it as a matter of interest?

Just kind of a retro hardware reference thing. More than what you would find on wikipedia with some insane levels of detail on some things. They didn't like how I was linking to external media and that's the reason for it not getting approved, or so they say. The app is 89MB in size the way it is with media linking. If I was to include all the media it would be really huge.

It's a free app, but might be 79c now depending on how much work I have to put into it to get it to the level I'm happy with and apple are ok with.

I'm glad they didn't approve it, it was a mess :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Heh, the square NTSC carts are one thing, but the colours of the Snes pad buttons are VERY important to me. I don't know why. They just are. There's something about them that sums up the console for me. Odd comment, I know. But when I see an American pad it just doesn't look right.

Actually got a US SNES controller in the post today. They do look a bit dull alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

preorder

tumblr_kxe3groE9Z1qztjn5o1_500.png

You said the magic word!

I finally pre-ordered Catherine err... Stray Wolves In A Pizza Edition (or whatever the feck it's called) today.

Excitement, She Wrote!

:D

Have you played Voxatron at all yet?

No actually, I remember it being mentioned a while back then again the other day so went and had a look at some videos of it. Looks good but is it the same clear all enemies from a room mechanic all the time? Maybe the video I watched didn't do it justice. Is there user levels you can download too?
    Also, The Humble Bundle and Steam Sale prices have turned me into a scrooge as I thought $15 was a bit much. :o :pac: I suppose that's barely a tenner when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Heh, the square NTSC carts are one thing, but the colours of the Snes pad buttons are VERY important to me. I don't know why. They just are. There's something about them that sums up the console for me. Odd comment, I know. But when I see an American pad it just doesn't look right

I totally get that. When I look at a snes pad it just reeks of Super Mario World at xmas time, no idea why, but that pad & it's coloured buttons made some bizarre connection in my head

Well worth $15 for the bundle Andrew, especially as they added 5 more things to the bundle tonight! :D

Plus a few bob goes to charity, which is nice. :)

Voxatron is brilliant. I haven't played Phibsborough yet though. But I have downloaded it along with the rest of Bundle 4!

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Well worth $15 for the bundle Andrew, especially as they added 5 more things to the bundle tonight! :D

Plus a few bob goes to charity, which is nice. :)

Voxatron is brilliant. I haven't played Phibsborough yet though. But I have downloaded it along with the rest of Bundle 4!

No it's Voxatron that's $15 not the bundle, I have HB4 and yep it's well worth it. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I bought Duke Nukem Forever because it was a fiver.

I feel like a crack whore, but some sick part of my brain insists on subjecting itself to it.

Such is the fiendishness of Steam sales, and the fickleness of morality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I've been avoiding opening up steam knowing theres a sale on. But I had to take a look and now I realised I have 17 yo-yos in my paypal. So I really need to make the right choices here. That humble bundle 4 does look to be the buisness though. never played bit trip runner or VVVVVV

I bought Duke Nukem Forever because it was a fiver.

I feel like a crack whore, but some sick part of my brain insists on subjecting itself to it.

Such is the fiendishness of Steam sales, and the fickleness of morality.

Johnny Ultimate, playing a Western game, that's made to appeal to the masses? Alright, who are you & what have you done with our Johnny?!

No it's Voxatron that's $15 not the bundle, I have HB4 and yep it's well worth it. :)

It is? Oh wait, my apologies, I bought it as part of a different bundle. Though HIB4 has just had 5 games from HIB3 added to it tonight. So yay that! :D

I reckon Voxatron is worth $15, especially if you love Llamatron, Robotron, Smash TV or Dick Tracy on the C64. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote: »
    Johnny Ultimate, playing a Western game, that's made to appeal to the masses? Alright, who are you & what have you done with our Johnny?!

Retr0 fell victim to it as well.

Must be something in the air. I did think there was an unusual stench of mediocrity around the house.

Retr0 fell victim to it as well.

Must be something in the air. I did think there was an unusual stench of mediocrity around the house.

At least he has an excuse, he was checking to see if something had aged well. Strangely enough it hadn't

There's only so many arthouse / foreign movies, bullet hell games and pigeon dating simulators one can take.

Oh wait: no there isn't.

Yeah, you're right. No excuse.

• Advertisement

There's only so many arthouse / foreign movies, bullet hell games and pigeon dating simulators one can take.

Oh wait: no there isn't.

Yeah, you're right. No excuse.

Not when it comes to Duke Nukem, he's the anti-hipster :D

Just got the humble bundle, so much goodness, but now I have to go to bed to be in work for half 7 in the morning, oh noes!

Worth buying the bundle just for this on MP3 or lossless audio!

All those games are a nice extra, I guess.

Yeah Have loads of the soundtrack on download now aswell. Had a quick go of bit trip runner, its so good.

Cant wait to play VVVVVV

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EnterNow wrote: »
    At least he has an excuse, he was checking to see if something had aged well. Strangely enough it hadn't

Hey!
    A sucky FPS and I don't own it, but the two self confessed gaming auteurs do!
    Awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anyone know if you can change the language on the Jap PS VITA to english and if the games will support english or is it jap all the way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can change the language on the Jap PS VITA to english and if the games will support english or is it jap all the way?

Translation: I have a PS Vita, ner ner na ner na!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Translation: I have a PS Vita, ner ner na ner na!

Nope, but I'm thinking about it.
    It's probably not worth it if its stuck in Japanese all the time and all the games are jap.

• Advertisement

Kotaku had a video of the Vita setup and you seemed to be able to pick from all languages.

Can't see any major benefit in picking it up early except for bragging rights ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

If it's anything like the psp then you can change the system language to English but the games and text in games will be in Japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Whoever was paid to write Duke Nukem Forever should be ashamed of themselves :pac:

The line 'I've got balls of fail' isn't funny the first time you miss the bumpers in pinball. It sure as hell isn't funny the tenth time.

The Vita is region free and by 2/12 will likely have the bugs (or most of them) ironed out, perhaps be 'broken' and will most likely have cheaper third party memory cards available for it by the European launch. Plus a touted 33 games will be available at launch for the EU and USA.

Personally I'd wait until then and get your Vita in February.

• Advertisement

Have you guys seen this? It's by the guy who made VVVVVV.

Oíche Mhaith:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/585928

Master of the Universe

Oíche Mhaith (pronouced "Ee-ha why") is a short game by Increpare and I.

'Ee-ha' is correct, but Mhaith being pronounced 'why'? That's not even remotely close.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pyongyang wrote: »
    The Vita is region free and by 2/12 will likely have the bugs (or most of them) ironed out, perhaps be 'broken' and will most likely have cheaper third party memory cards available for it by the European launch. Plus a touted 33 games will be available at launch for the EU and USA.

Personally I'd wait until then and get your Vita in February.

There's a whole heapin helpin of hopefulness right there!
    More likely it'll arrive on European shores with the firmware locked up tighter than a fairytale princesses underwear drawer...
    Plus we'll have a slow trickle of ports from the PS3 to boot....

I still want one though :(

Oíche Mhaith (pronouced "Ee-ha why") is a short game by Increpare and I.

'Ee-ha' is correct, but Mhaith being pronounced 'why'? That's not even remotely close.

Actually, it depends on what part of the country your irish teacher comes from, it's no wonder we got colonised, we couldn't understand each others dialect!

Maith is sometimes pronouced with a moth/maa sound.
    In other parts of this island it is, indeed, pronounced with a "my" or "why" type sound.
    Ee-ha is pretty spot on though...

(my son goes to a gaelscoil and my wife is fluent, I have two languages, a la Korbin Dallas, english and bad english!)

Yeah. Think it's some Donegal dialect.

Anyone know what part of Ireland Terry Cavanagh is from?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah right! I always forget about those freaks from the north who can't pronounce our language properly.

Must be the Brittish influence :pac:

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    (my son goes to a gaelscoil and my wife is fluent, I have to languages, a la Korbin Dallas, english and bad english!)
    Ah right! I always forget about those freaks from the north who can't pronounce our language properly.

Must be the Brittish influence :pac:

Where did you two chaps go to school?! :p

The extra 'T' is for 'Time to leave!'

Master of the Universe

(my son goes to a gaelscoil and my wife is fluent, I have to languages, a la Korbin Dallas, english and bad english!)

My girlfriend went to a gaelscoil and is now a primary school teacher. I've learned more Irish from her in the last few years than I did in all my years of school!

Indeed! Just to make the whole thing even more ****ed up, they throw Donegal Irish into some of the Leaving Cert tape work. Why???

'Here's a language you've been studying for over a decade. You may think you are just about able to grasp the basics and pass the exam - but think again! We are going to grade you on someone speaking it completely differently'

They may as well throw some Welsh in too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

My girlfriend went to a gaelscoil and is now a primary school teacher. I've learned more Irish from her in the last few years than I did in all my years of school!

Indeed! Just to make the whole thing even more ****ed up, they throw Donegal Irish into some of the Leaving Cert tape work. Why???

'Here's a language you've been studying for over a decade. You may think you are just about able to grasp the basics and pass the exam - but think again! We are going to grade you on someone speaking it completely differently'

They may as well throw some Welsh in too.
    ah its all feckin Klingon to me anyway ;)

Master of the Universe

You, being a trekky, must speak fluent Klingon.

So on that assumption, I guess your Irish is pretty good? :pac:

I think I'll give the Vita a miss and grab it when it comes out over in Euroland.

I'll go down and have a go of it in the morning in one of the stores here and see how she feels at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DinoRex wrote: »
    Have you guys seen this? It's by the guy who made VVVVVV.

Oíche Mhaith:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/585928

That was great, thanks.

Whoever was paid to write Duke Nukem Forever should be ashamed of themselves :pac:

The line 'I've got balls of fail' isn't funny the first time you miss the bumpers in pinball. It sure as hell isn't funny the tenth time.

I think I made the correct choice of not installing it and giving VVVVVV, Bit.Trip Runner and Eversion a play through instead.

BTW Eversion is only 1 euro on steam at the moment and unlikely to get cheaper and is well worth a play. It's not what it seems initially :)

Picked up Bloodrayne: the Betrayal from XBLA yesterday, only 600 points and for once the sale is open to silver users as well. Can't go wrong with Wayforward really.

Master of the Universe

I've been playing Duke Nukem Forever a bit myself.

It's a bad game, but with one saving grace. I don't know what it is, but it feels like a Duke Nukem 3D. Can't quite place it.

Such a wasted opportunity. No open enviornments = automatic fail.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement